Finishing Stock Area Roof
rattler
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2012-07-02 11:37 AM (#145291)
Subject: Finishing Stock Area Roof

Regular

Aluminum stock combo trailer that had minimal hail damage to the roof and instead of using the insurance money to replace the roof, I am going to insulate and finish the horse compartment. I've got the board insulation with vapor barrier in place and was considering the smooth white frp (.090 thickness) for the finished ceiling. Wondered if anyone had done this job before and how best to attached the frp to the aluminum roof bows/struts. My initial thoughts are to the glue and rivet them.

Thanks

Rattler

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2012-07-02 11:12 PM (#145306 - in reply to #145291)
Subject: RE: Finishing Stock Area Roof

Expert

Another product you may consider for the adhesion of the FRP panels, is the usage of 3M's VHB 49XX series of foam tapes. They would easily hold the panels into place, until blind rivets could be installed. The combination would result in a continuous bond across the entire roof framework, the strongest possible construction.

That would also ensure that the panels would not later oil can or vibrate if they were to sag a bit. Some adhesives can soften with heat, and any weight that is being held, can some times move.

I've installed many FRP panels into the bag bins of commercial aircraft. They are very strong and puncture resistant. They are also placed over a cushioned bed of tape on the aluminum stringers, to prevent pressure points and vibration. The tape also acts as an insulator, keeping some of the cold from the stringers, away from the fiberglass surface.

rattler
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2012-07-03 9:20 AM (#145320 - in reply to #145291)
Subject: RE: Finishing Stock Area Roof

Regular

Gard,

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll look into the 3M tape option. I like what I've read on their web site. It should make the installation easier and cleaner