Does anyone use their hayrack?
blackcows
Reg. Mar 2010
Posted 2012-04-29 6:30 AM (#143511)
Subject: Does anyone use their hayrack?

Extreme Veteran

Some people like to go to car shows...I like to look a horse trailers, I could spend hours looking  at the trailers on horsetrailerworld.com.  I think a hay rack on a trailer looks really cool, almost like a spolier on a car, but lately I have noticed that despite seeing a lot of trailers with hay rack it is very rare that I actually see one with anything on it.

Does anyone that has a hayrack use it much?

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
perk2754
Reg. Oct 2007
Posted 2012-04-29 6:40 AM (#143512 - in reply to #143511)
Subject: RE: Does anyone use their hayrack?

Veteran

I've often wondered how someone loads a 50 pound bale of hay up there, lol.  Either they have a bucket on a tractor or one strong teenager.... I've got friends who have generators and water tanks mounted up there.  They do look cool, though....
Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2012-04-29 7:54 AM (#143514 - in reply to #143511)

Expert

1st off.  A hay rack generates parasitic drag on a trailer and does affect your fuel mileage.  The more streamline you can get your trailer. The easier it is for your truck to pull. But then Awnings, open drop down windows etc all do the same thing.

Day trips and even over nighter, I never put anything up in the hayrack.  If I'm going for several days with a full load of 4 horses. Then I need that space and I load hay up there. I can get 6 bales of hay in the bed of my pickup. So it needs to be a trip that requires more feed than that.

My previous trailer had a 35 gallon water tank up there.  It was handy to wash off the horses after a summer ride before the sweat dried and got crusty. Being 9-10 foot up in the air, it would develop some pressure that I could use to squirt the water. I'd load the horses wet and they would be dry when I got home 30 minutes later and not be looking to roll like they did if I hosed them down before turning them loose in the corral. And I had emergency horse water if I ever got held up in traffic on a hot summer day.

My current trailer has the water tank stored behind the saddles in the mid tack. And while it will fill a bucket for drinking water. because the out flow valve is only 2 foot off the ground, there just isn't any pressure to spray water with . So rinsing off horses has become more of a fill the bucket and go dump it over the horse.

I am seriously considering installing some kind of dry box up in the hay rack. A place I can put the stuff I need rarely and want to get out of the inside of the trailer and out of my way. Hoof boots I don't use very often, But have boots for each horse. I have stethoscope and horse First Aid stuff, Electric fence parts to throw up a portable fence while camping, Some horse blankets for that occassional really cold night while camping at elevation in the summer when my horses are all shed out. I could keep the saddle panniers in there, in case I decided to pack in some place instead of sleeping in the trailer.

Water tank in rack

Edited by Painted Horse 2012-04-29 7:56 AM
slowrider
Reg. Apr 2010
Posted 2012-04-29 9:01 PM (#143527 - in reply to #143511)

Regular

We use our hayrack all the time. We need the storage space, so we really don't worry about increasing the wind resistance. Plus, the front of most horse trailers is not aerodynamic to start with.

We carry our hay on our hay rack, and, since we often camp where there is no water source, so we have 2 water tanks up there, too. We also permanently keep a patio storage box that holds our folding chairs, camp stove, EZ Up awning and a folding table, etc, on the hay rack.

gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2012-04-29 10:06 PM (#143530 - in reply to #143511)

Expert

We used our hay rack once right after we bought the trailer. We easily loaded it with the tractor's front bucket. But when I tried using it later, whilst manually climbing the ladder with a hay bale, I failed to reach the top. We haven't used it since.

We have three horse capacity trailers and typically only carry two horses, leaving the front stall for storage. This is where our hay and extra gear goes.

siseley
Reg. Jul 2006
Posted 2012-04-30 10:12 AM (#143538 - in reply to #143511)

Extreme Veteran

I use ours for the charcoal and BBQ, the old piece of carpet for under the awning, and have a foot locker size container to take odds and ends like hoses and water tubs. I do use the bucket on my tractor if I take hay up there, but it is not easy to lift up there, and some always blows off, so don't put it up as often as some folks.ramp

Edited by siseley 2012-04-30 10:14 AM
Rostrenga
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2012-04-30 2:02 PM (#143548 - in reply to #143511)

Veteran

I have two 35 gallon water tanks on my hay rack, they have saved my ass many times where water is scarce of it dont smell right. Has a mustang that would only drink water from home that why the 2 tanks.
Zipitude
Reg. Jan 2006
Posted 2012-04-30 3:39 PM (#143550 - in reply to #143511)

Veteran

I just installed a hay rack on my trailer last year, and have used it quite often since then. I used to put hay in the stud stall, but since I put the cowboy shower in there, I prefer not to have the hay in there. I also carry a water tank on the hay rack. It is much more difficult to get the hay up there, but having a place to put it is worth it to me.
adeberti
Reg. May 2007
Posted 2012-04-30 6:19 PM (#143554 - in reply to #143511)

Veteran

We didn't care for an hay rack when we got our used trailer, but now i can really see the use of it.We have a 48gal tank on top it at it really comes in handy (most of the places we go do have water, but not having to lug buckets around it nice...to both water and wash).We haven't put any hay up there yet, but we will for sure in the future. I also have seen folks with truck tool boxes on top of them and it's sounds like a pretty nifty ideas for storage. (highlines, extra pads, and so on)
Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2012-04-30 8:07 PM (#143562 - in reply to #143538)

Expert

Originally written by siseley on 2012-04-30 3:12 AM

I do use the bucket on my tractor if I take hay up there, but it is not easy to lift up there, and some always blows off, so don't put it up as often as some folks.

Do the cars behind you on the freeway complain when a bale off hay blows off on the hood of their car?

If not, those California drivers are much more tolerant than the drivers here in Utah.

flyinghfarm
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2012-04-30 9:17 PM (#143564 - in reply to #143511)

Expert

Yes.  We have a water tank up there, and back up to the loft to load hay, tarped, when we need more than would go in the front stall.  Use it every time!

siseley
Reg. Jul 2006
Posted 2012-05-01 9:52 AM (#143581 - in reply to #143562)

Extreme Veteran

do cars behind you on the freeway complain when a bale off hay blows off on the hood of their car?

If not, those California drivers are much more tolerant than the drivers here in Utah.

Yes, Painted Horse, I do have a problem with the hay blowing chaff from the rack. Even though I tarp it, it seems that some always blows past the seam and then out. It is not a lot, and I found out that hay is the only thing the C.H.P. will not ticket for, unless it is excessive. ( of course it is up to the Officer as to what is excessive!) My three way hay is sometimes quite short chopped and that can also lead to chaff blowing out. If we are going to be camping in the Nat. Forests, we MUST use only pellets, as they won't allow any hay not certified for the forest. Yes, the hay is grown just outside the forest, and the same weeds and grasses are there, but they still want the pellets, and in most forests in California, you cannot let your horse graze indiscriminately in just any meadow.
Rostrenga
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2012-05-01 1:42 PM (#143584 - in reply to #143562)

Veteran

Do the cars behind you on the freeway complain when a bale off hay blows off on the hood of their car?

Never stopped to ask LOL, just kidding

sdlepalpm
Reg. Nov 2008
Posted 2012-05-10 9:12 PM (#143863 - in reply to #143511)

Veteran

When we bought our trailer my husband just had to have a hay rack because it looked good.  After several years we did put a 35 gal. tank up there because the camps we go to doesn't have water.  The extra water comes in handy if we stay for more than 3 nights and have to use our shower.  We have run the hose in to the camper for inside water.   On our last trip we put one spare tire up there.  I don't really know how we will get it down if needed!  My husband doesn't like all the extra weight up there though.
brushycreekranch
Reg. Jun 2006
Posted 2012-05-11 6:56 AM (#143874 - in reply to #143511)

I use my haypod on the Bloomer to carry spare tires, spare chairs, & a portable dump tank. It also has a big water tank in it to water the horses. We check the tires , up there, several times a year,but havn't needed them yet, since the truck or trailer hasn't had any flats. They don't appear to be "cooking" any. I usually just carry any extra hay, in the front stall since I usually only haul one.
Judy K
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2012-05-12 3:00 PM (#143901 - in reply to #143511)

Veteran

To prevent hay chaff and a possibility of losing a bale off the hay rack - we put all of our hay in those canvas carry-bags...we have 10 - that way no chaff and hay on trailer and when we throw it down we can put it on the ground under the gooseneck..we cannot carry hay on the back of our truck..(hauler type bed) and we also have a 48 gallon water tank on top...we used to put it in our extra stall but carry so much "stuff" ( junk,) according to my hubby - that it takes up all the room in the trailer. We moved up to a 4 horse trailer thinking we'd have more room...but now we just end up taking our pasture pet horse with us.  Too hard to find someone reliable to babysit and a lot of the boarding stables around us do not want to have a horse for 1 or 2 weeks...or a long weekend.   Luckily we can pull our trailer through the barn and load hay on top from our loft...and hubby climbs on top and throws it all down when we are in camp.. works for ME!
goz63
Reg. Dec 2011
Posted 2012-05-17 9:02 PM (#144018 - in reply to #143562)

Veteran

Originally written by Painted Horse on 2012-04-30 8:07 PM

Originally written by siseley on 2012-04-30 3:12 AM

I do use the bucket on my tractor if I take hay up there, but it is not easy to lift up there, and some always blows off, so don't put it up as often as some folks.

You put the hay in hay bale bags and you don't have to worry about that.

Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2012-05-18 9:49 AM (#144027 - in reply to #143511)

Expert

I'll bet the cars behind you complain every bit as bad when a bag containing a bale hay blows off as they do when a unbagged bale blows off.  The unbagged bale will probably bust the twine and explode into a cloud of green chaff when it hits the road.  The bag holds it all together creating a large obsticle that following drivers start to dodge.

I really don't worry about a few wisp of hay or some fines blowing off a secured bales as I drive. My teasing to Sissley was loosing entire bales.

siseley
Reg. Jul 2006
Posted 2012-05-19 9:06 AM (#144047 - in reply to #143511)

Extreme Veteran

I knew you were teasing Painted Horse. Just an aside, I DID loose a BBQ from the top once! Luckily, it was on a small access road to the forest up in the Sierras. I didn't even know it until about 3 hrs later, when I wanted to BBQ! Then had to go drive back down the road and pick up the pieces. Sure was a good thing another guy had brought his truck empty, and was already at the campsite, so we could go back with out unhitching.
Judy K
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2012-05-19 10:40 AM (#144049 - in reply to #144027)

Veteran

Well, we do secure the hay bags on top of the hay rack...we use heavy webbing - so unless the entire welded on hay rack blows off...I don't think we would lose a bale - but now that I've put this in writing - it'll happen!   This posting is meant to be a little tongue in cheek ...because I would not knowingly endanger other vehicles on the road..we have been lucky in the years we've hauled and camped.  I did think about those hay racks that are enclosed - but we didn't have enough room to drive it through our barn - just barely get in with the "normal" hay rack provided by 4 Star.  I would like the generator on top and an enclosed hay rack..but probably won't ever happen as my hubby is anal and our rig has to be parked inside!  Pain in the butt! 
Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2012-05-19 11:16 AM (#144050 - in reply to #143511)

Expert

Years ago, I damaged a tailgate ( I think everybody does that ONCE) and while I was waiting for a new tail gate, I towed my horses some place. I had placed 4 bales of hay in the truck bed. Thinking they would be safe.

Going down the freeway at 70 mph and I feel a bump and look in my mirror to see a green cloud behind my trailer. A bale had blown out of the truck bed and gone under the trailer.. Of course the friction of being forced under the trailer and axles literally exploded the bale. The entire bale was airborn in small pieces. It literally was a large green cloud.  As each successive vehicle passed over the hay, it was continually ground into smaller and smaller particles, that continually were becoming airborne.  I learned a valuable lesson. that even 70lb bales of hay can blow out. It put a serious fear into me of what could have happened. I was lucky and fortunate that nobody behind me was hurt.

I still carry bales of hay in the truck bed, But I always make sure the tailgate is on and up. And while the wind was sufficient to slide a bale out the back, I've never seen it lift a bale up and over the bed rails. And the gooseneck of the trailer, basically provides a cap, any escaping bales would have to fit through the 6" of clearance between the rail and bottom of the gooseneck.

When I put hay up in the hay rack on top of the trailer. I wrap all of the bales in a tarp and then strap everything down,  Not only to keep it dry, But to make sure I never loose another bale.

poshponies
Reg. Mar 2013
Posted 2013-03-30 4:04 PM (#150966 - in reply to #143511)

Regular

This was a great thread - looks like a lot of people have many uses for their hay racks. Was considering installing one on my 3 H GN just for water but I get such good mileage when hauling don't see any sense in creating "parasitic drag" as one poster commented. Plus the added cost of buying and installation.

I use a portable 35 gallon tank in my truck bed and have a 32 gallon in the LQ for horses and daily stuff. Carry my own drinking water. Hay goes in the truck bed in hay bags if hauling 3 horses; otherwise that first stall is the dump trunk for everything else.

goz63
Reg. Dec 2011
Posted 2013-03-30 6:58 PM (#150967 - in reply to #143511)

Veteran

We use our hayrack whenever we go over night camping. I put the hay in bale bags, keeps hay from blowing out. I just clip and lunge line to the bale bag and hand over hand haul it up. Work pretty easy. We also have a 48gal water tank up there. If we go for a week or more, I will put lawn chairs rakes up there as well. That leaves the front stud stall for those items that I don't want to get wet, i.e. the generator. I would not have a LQ trailer without one.
justgurn
Reg. Oct 2010
Posted 2013-03-30 8:07 PM (#150969 - in reply to #143511)

Veteran

Use it for most weekend shows. You don't too much extra hay. I also have an aluminum tool box mount up top where I store tack stall racks and gear I rarely need but makes me feel good to have.
poshponies
Reg. Mar 2013
Posted 2013-03-30 8:54 PM (#150970 - in reply to #143511)

Regular

Has anyone really noticed a difference in mileage or isn't it considered a problem? We just pay what we need to pay for fuel?

Saddleup
Reg. Apr 2012
Posted 2013-03-30 10:03 PM (#150973 - in reply to #143511)

Regular

I have a hayrack with a 5500 watt Honda gen. set mtd on it and a large tote bin too .I also have reinforced the rack and mounts to hand the extra load. Haven't noticed any fuel mileage  change as they have been there since day one. I do not carry hay in hay rack, because on former trailer I lost a bale and darn near went thru the windshield  of a car behind me. Never again... now put the hay either in the pickup box, or third stall depending of which trailer I am towing. I try to use cubes as much as possible , as not to spread noxious weeds. 
Cyberspacey
Reg. Sep 2012
Posted 2013-03-30 10:55 PM (#150977 - in reply to #143511)

For those that put water tanks up in the hay rack -- I've heard that it might make more sense to put water tank in the bed of the truck to go get more water if the tank starts to get empty. I thought this was great advice!
PaulChristenson
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2013-03-31 1:27 AM (#150980 - in reply to #150977)

Expert

Originally written by Cyberspacey on 2013-03-30 10:55 PM

For those that put water tanks up in the hay rack -- I've heard that it might make more sense to put water tank in the bed of the truck to go get more water if the tank starts to get empty. I thought this was great advice!

Just remember every pound, i.e. your water tank, you add to the bed of your truck means potentially an over-weighted rear axle...
Cyberspacey
Reg. Sep 2012
Posted 2013-04-04 6:58 PM (#151098 - in reply to #143511)

Paul:

It's a 63 gal tank, so at about 8.34 lbs per gallon it would add 525# back there. Is that significant? It is rectangular and has a depression in the middle to allow the GN hitch to slide past it if you put it in the back, or it can tuck up under the back window.

Thanks.

AZgrulla
Reg. Jan 2009
Posted 2013-04-06 7:02 PM (#151123 - in reply to #150977)

Veteran

Originally written by Cyberspacey on 2013-03-30 9:55 PM

Most people I know that have tanks up in the hay rack have a hose that they tuck in behind the ladder with an 'on/off' valve so they can fill it from the ground and not climb up the ladder.

Cyberspacey
Reg. Sep 2012
Posted 2013-04-06 9:31 PM (#151126 - in reply to #143511)

With tank in the hayrack, if it runs out, you might have to reconnect the trailer in order to go fill it back up somewhere.
CYA Ranch
Reg. Feb 2009
Posted 2013-04-07 9:12 AM (#151133 - in reply to #150977)

Originally written by Cyberspacey on 2013-03-30 10:55 PM

I use my hay rack for hauling hay, wood shavings and water. You can fill from the ground on mine. My generator goes on the back of my Freightliner.
aztrailrider
Reg. Jul 2010
Posted 2013-04-07 11:52 AM (#151139 - in reply to #143511)

We ordered our Silverlite 3 horse LQ with an 8' long hayrack so we could mount the generator up there and still have room for a large water tank and hay bales. A custom made 93 gallon water tank fits perfectly in the space between the generator and the side rails and we can fit five 3-wire hay bales in the rest of the space. We use bags for the hay and tie the bale bags to the rack. We use twist ties to secure the zipper pulls since the wind opened a zipper once and we lost the better part of an open bale. We live in Arizona and dry camp most of the time, so the water is very important; few places in the desert have dependable water sources. If we get lucky and have horse water in camp, we can refill the LQ water tank from the roof. We did not expect to get good fuel mileage hauling the rig, especially since there the nose on our trailer is raised. I would not give up either the rack or the raised nose--nothing like being able to kneel on the mattress to make the bed!
deanna
Reg. Apr 2013
Posted 2013-04-18 6:07 PM (#151391 - in reply to #143511)

i bought a stretch cargo net to cover my haybales so they cant blow off the rack after following my husband once and 2 bales blew off right in front of my truck while i was pulling another trailer. scarey!! also use a few bungee cords over the net just in case. wouldnt give up the hay rack for anything. we didnt have one on our older trailer so we took an old truck ladder rack, cut it down, added a few things and put it up. works awesome!!!
PaulChristenson
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2013-04-19 1:01 AM (#151400 - in reply to #151391)

Expert

Originally written by deanna on 2013-04-18 6:07 PM

i bought a stretch cargo net to cover my haybales so they cant blow off the rack after following my husband once and 2 bales blew off right in front of my truck while i was pulling another trailer. scarey!! also use a few bungee cords over the net just in case. wouldnt give up the hay rack for anything. we didnt have one on our older trailer so we took an old truck ladder rack, cut it down, added a few things and put it up. works awesome!!!
Yes...unsecured loads are dangerous and happen way too often in this country...:(