Trail Riding in WY
Jroot
Reg. Feb 2012
Posted 2012-02-24 5:40 AM (#141386)
Subject: Trail Riding in WY

Has anyone rode in WY?  We plan to go there this fall on our vacation trip and would like a good place to camp.  We prefer some where in the south east corner of the state.  I have a friend near that area that I want to meet up with so this is my best choice of the state to camp in.  I have only found mimimum amount of info and wondered if anyone has good suggestions.

Thanks for the help.

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
bbsmfg3
Reg. Dec 2006
Posted 2012-02-25 1:54 PM (#141420 - in reply to #141386)
Subject: RE: Trail Riding in WY

Extreme Veteran

Jeannie there is not a lot in SE WY. You may do better looking in North Central CO.

Here's a link to the public lands in both WY and Co.

http://publiclands.org/explore/index.php?plicstate=WY

http://publiclands.org/explore/index.php?plicstate=CO

On the north side of Rocky Mountain National there is a lot of riding.
Take a look at the Red Feather Lakes area.

Edited by bbsmfg3 2012-02-25 1:58 PM
bbsmfg3
Reg. Dec 2006
Posted 2012-02-25 2:00 PM (#141421 - in reply to #141386)

Extreme Veteran

On the north side of Rocky Mountain National there is a lot of riding.
When your on the Co public lands site click the green area NW of Denver then click into the closeup.
bbsmfg3
Reg. Dec 2006
Posted 2012-02-25 2:05 PM (#141422 - in reply to #141386)

Extreme Veteran

n the north side of Rocky Mountain National there is a lot of riding.
When your on the Co public lands site click the green area NW of Denver then click into the closeup.
On the WY public lands look at the green area SE of the interstate 80 sign.
A lot of open riding in that area.
Phoresic
Reg. May 2010
Posted 2012-02-26 2:06 PM (#141457 - in reply to #141386)

Extreme Veteran

There are some very pretty things in southern Wyoming.  I like a very small area between Cheyenne and Laramie called Vedauwoo (sp), but I'm not sure what riding opportunities are there, and it's small. But, they do have an endurance ride in that area.   A little west of Laramie is the Snowy Range area of Medecine Bow National Forest which is a beautiful area.  I know there area some dude ranches in that area as well.  I'll look at a map when I get a chance.  I'm sure there are some places further east.  How long do you want to ride?  Do you want to ride out of the trailer or camp remotely with the horses (like pack in a tent)? Depending upon how far east you are thinking, there are also some nice trais in SD.  Wyoming has some beautiful places in the most unexpected places.

Jroot
Reg. Feb 2012
Posted 2012-02-26 5:39 PM (#141469 - in reply to #141386)

Thanks Bob, I will check out those sites and see what I can find.  

I prefer to park our camper and just ride out of there every day.  Just enough riding so we could spend 4-5 days there riding would be good.  I have my eye on a private ranch but have not heard back from them so I am now sure if they are still doing campers or not.  I had talked to them last year but too many things fell through with health issues and money that it wasn't worth trying to make it work.  But this year we are thinking positive and trying to plan to go.  They had riding in both WY and CO which was really a plus but if they are not doing business now then I want some other ideas as a back up.  Or if I can find something even better and more reasonable camping prices.

A private camp that we could ride out of would be wonderful because lots of times they offer cabin rentals.  But if my friends husband can make it work, they will bring their camper.  My friend lives in Steamboat Springs, CO and we have not seen each other in over 25 years.  We want to get together with them as well as get to camp and ride in WY.  But we could make it work with primitive camping also. 

Just hoping someone has been there done that and might know what the road to the camp is like and could recommend some positive input.

Oh yea Bob, we now have a BIGGER  trailer.  So we are even more careful on where we go in.  So, if you have been in there, we know we can get in there. 

Just keep suggesting and I will look at those websites and see if we can find something that might work good.

I forgot to say, we would be trying to stay 5-6 nights there so we could get 4-5 days of riding in.  We normally ride 6-7 hours a day. 

Thanks.

Edited by Jroot 2012-02-26 5:42 PM
Phoresic
Reg. May 2010
Posted 2012-02-27 10:58 AM (#141497 - in reply to #141386)

Extreme Veteran

You give a lot more detail in your last post that would have been helpful in answering.  I know of the one ranch that is in Medicine Bow - very nice area, but since I have only been to dinner there at their gourmet restaurant, and haven't actually ridden there or driven on the road to the horse area of the ranch, I'll leave it to someone who knows more.

Have fun.

Jroot
Reg. Feb 2012
Posted 2012-02-27 12:54 PM (#141501 - in reply to #141386)

Yes, Medicine Bow would be a perfect area. If you can pass on a name of a ranch, phone numbers, e-mail contact, I can ask lots of questions.
Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2012-02-28 9:40 AM (#141531 - in reply to #141386)

Expert

The West is so different from what folks traveling from other parts of the country expect.  Large areas of public land that allow both primative and structured camping. So we see very little Horse camps and for profit types of camping.  Why pay to camp when you can just pull off the side of the road?  So when visitors start trying to research areas to ride they find very few trails mentioned except at the Dude ranches.

Since most of our trails are maintained by the Forest Service, BLM or just cows passing by on grazing permits. We don't see large collections of trails that depart from one parking area. The trails are designed as transportation routes. The travel from point A to Point B. So there ends up being a lot of in and return via the same trail. Also most trail head parking areas have 1-2-3 trails heading out.  ie a trail that goes east to the trail head in the next drainage to the east, a trail that goes west to the trail head in next drainage to the west  and a trail that goes north over the mountain.  We can offer almost unlimited trails. BUT not from one single trail head. For locals we just expect to move the trailer to a new starting point every day or two.  You don't have to move it very far. Just farther than what your daily rides are covering.  This give you new terrain to ride.

I can suggest many great places to camp along the Utah Wyoming state line. But it is wilderness area.  No trail maintenance is done beyond the wilderness boundary, ( I shouldn't say that, rangers do walk the trails and remove blow down and dead fall trees)  So trails are rocky and can be rough.

SE Wyoming has a lot of rolling high plains,  Utah and Colorado are both very mountainous states,  The Western part of Wyoming is also more mountaineous. I don't travel much into SE Wyoming, But would be happy to suggest areas in SW and NW parts of the state.

aceliberty
Reg. Sep 2011
Posted 2012-02-28 4:52 PM (#141537 - in reply to #141386)

Extreme Veteran

Jeanne,  I posted some pics on this forum under the discussion "Camping in the Big Horns" and a brief description on where we stayed. It sounds like you might like camping at Battle Park closer to Buffalo, WY. But both of these places are more in the northern part of the state. We camped in southern WY but it was much lower elevation. I loved the Big Horns, and it's still on my wish list to return a 3rd season.

I'm posting a couple of links you might wish to check for WY camping. The other is the website of a cyber friend who has camped in the Big Horns lots of times and has a bunch of pics to look at.

http://www.horseandmuletrails.com/Wy.htm and http://www.gafoxtrotters.com

Jroot
Reg. Feb 2012
Posted 2012-03-04 7:21 AM (#141651 - in reply to #141386)

Bob, for some reason, you link just brings me to Horse and Mule trails, WY and I can not see any pictures on that you may have posted.  I do remember some that you did post from before that were beautiful.  But the northern part of WY will have to wait for another trip.  Being Oct, and wanting to meet up with my old friend who now lives in Steamboat, CO, and lack of enough time, we really need to stay to the south east part of the state.  We are looking at Ladder Ranch which is right on the border.  This would be a great location and give us more time to spend riding rather then driving.  I will be back to go to the northern part of the state in a few years, but this year just does not give us enough time to do it.  If only I could have more weeks vacation!!

I am still looking for other places in this area but they are so few choices that I can find. 

bbsmfg3
Reg. Dec 2006
Posted 2012-03-05 10:41 PM (#141710 - in reply to #141421)

Extreme Veteran

http://publiclands.org/explore/index.php?plicstate=WY

http://publiclands.org/explore/index.php?plicstate=CO

They both work for me. If Your not using Firefox, try it. Internet Explorer has issues with a lot of thinks.
Both sites would be helpful.

If you can not get them to work, email me, and I'll send them to you.

Edited by bbsmfg3 2012-03-05 10:43 PM
Jroot
Reg. Feb 2012
Posted 2012-03-06 2:08 PM (#141717 - in reply to #141386)

Thanks Bob, I have to try it again from my home computer. It works on my work computer. Everyone that I looked at so far, said no trailers over 24'!! That just won't work. I would have to cut my trailer in 1/2. I will keep going through the list and see if there is anything that don't specify that large trailers will NOT FIT.

Jeanne
bbsmfg3
Reg. Dec 2006
Posted 2012-03-07 7:55 AM (#141746 - in reply to #141386)

Extreme Veteran

I have taken our trailer in to a lot of places that say 24 ft max or even less. Once you decide where you want to go, I'd suggest calling the local forest service and ask them about lengths. Many of the camp grounds will not allow the longer trailers, but we disperse camp and have not had problems getting our trailer into just about anyplace we want to go.

You'll have more trouble dragging the bottom of your trailer than anything else. If your going to take a long trailer into the mountains, you need to have the bottom protected so you don't tear up anything when you do drag.

Edited by bbsmfg3 2012-03-07 7:57 AM
Jroot
Reg. Feb 2012
Posted 2012-03-07 12:03 PM (#141764 - in reply to #141386)

That is another thing that worries me.  Roads that are not good because you might drag going over them.  Our trailer does sit high so that helps, but we are going to be even more cautious then before with having a new trailer and not wanting to bend out bumper like our old trailer had from hitting.  But if I find something that looks good on Google Map, I can call the forest service to verify that it is OK to camp there.