Leaking Trailer
3ponies
Reg. Jul 2007
Posted 2011-09-07 4:54 AM (#137300)
Subject: Leaking Trailer

Just wanted to see if anyone could help me figure this one out.  Our trailer has in the past leaked in the living quarters  but only if the nose was somewhat down.  As long as the trailer is level and nose slightly up there has never been any leaking.  This weekend while camping our trailer was tilted to the right just a tiny bit but we had a leak on the left side of the trailer just above the door to the living quarter.  The leak was coming in around the screws at the seam of the ceiling and wall.  This is a 2002 Sundowner with a aluminum roof and we have never recaulked the top seam.  Just wondered if someone could offer where we should even start to look for this leak.    
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Tomtnwalkers
Reg. Oct 2011
Posted 2011-10-08 8:37 AM (#138154 - in reply to #137300)
Subject: RE: Leaking Trailer

New User

There are pop rivets on thE top that may be leaking.
laurie
Reg. Jun 2004
Posted 2011-10-08 11:36 AM (#138157 - in reply to #137300)

Extreme Veteran

Originally written by 3ponies on 2011-09-07 4:54 AM

Just wanted to see if anyone could help me figure this one out.  Our trailer has in the past leaked in the living quarters  but only if the nose was somewhat down.  As long as the trailer is level and nose slightly up there has never been any leaking.  This weekend while camping our trailer was tilted to the right just a tiny bit but we had a leak on the left side of the trailer just above the door to the living quarter.  The leak was coming in around the screws at the seam of the ceiling and wall.  This is a 2002 Sundowner with a aluminum roof and we have never recaulked the top seam.  Just wondered if someone could offer where we should even start to look for this leak.    
 The sealant is probably all old and cracking. I would redo it all and be done with it.
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2011-10-08 2:00 PM (#138162 - in reply to #137300)

Expert

Any hole through the skin of the trailer can be a leakage source. The wiring for a clearance light, rivets on a seam, a crack in a vent, sun damaged caulking, a loose antenna, shade attach fittings etc.

The problem often arises, when the actual leak is not located where the water is seen within the trailer. It can travel many feet and drip in an area where it's not actually leaking. The first thing is to visually inspect every seam and caulking on the roof. If it's five years or older, most of the caulking should be renewed and may be cracked, brittle or even missing.

The old should be removed and replaced with a good quality marine polyurethane caulk. Do not use a household silicone. Don't bother to just add new on top of the old. Recaulked properly, the trailer should remain watertight for many years.

There are also other products that can be used. A variety of sealant tapes are sold that are peel, press and stick. For larger areas on roofs that may be better painted, (rusty or a desire to reduce bare aluminum temps), the whole roof or large areas can be coated with elastomeric products. They are bright white, long lasting and waterproof very well.

3ponies
Reg. Jul 2007
Posted 2011-10-09 6:38 AM (#138180 - in reply to #137300)

Thanks all, I took it to my closest trailer company and they recaulked roof and sides of trailer so hope this does the trick.  Pretty pricey when you have to have someone else do work on your trailer.