6 ' Short Wall living quarter conversion
Amp
Reg. Aug 2011
Posted 2011-08-24 8:26 PM (#136983)
Subject: 6 ' Short Wall living quarter conversion

I am looking to finishing my 2010 featherlite with living quarters. Does anybody have a floor plan that will allow a shower and toilet. Also looking to mount tanks underneath for water and sewage.

I will be able to do it all myself but just not sure the best way to lay it out. I will be using a portable generator and A/C will be mounted on top. I plan on using an electric refrigerator and like a george foreman, microwave, electric skillets and such for cooking. I dont plan to run gas. I also plan to use a small electric water heater for the shower.

My only problem is how to lay it out the best way, if anybody has floor plans please give some input.
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
rockyrider
Reg. Jun 2004
Posted 2011-08-25 3:59 AM (#136986 - in reply to #136983)
Subject: RE: 6 ' Short Wall living quarter conversion

Extreme Veteran

I have a Neo Angle shower on short wall, and use a porta potty. We set it inside the shower during the day, acts like a bathroom with a little privacy. Put in back at night or when showering. Have door to rear so lots of thing get put in back once we arrive and set up. My LQ door is on short wall, have retractable screen on it. On long wall I have counter with sink, underneath that is fridge. (go BIG on fidge) and hot water heater. Above that is combo micro wave/convection oven and cabinets. No cooktop. I prefer to cook outside and leave the mess and smell outside. Fwd of that is dinnete with removable table and more cabinets. Fresh water tank is under bench at the front.

I have vent fan in ceiling located between shower and oven. Sucks out steam from shower and heat/odors from oven. Also have hatch in ceiling above the bed, I turn on the fan at night and it's just like my attic fan at home, will freeze you out. I would rethink gas. I heat my water with it and run the fridge when elect is not available, gives you more options on where to camp.

And of course I have the creature comforts of A/C; Stereo with Wireless speakers; Color TV with DVD Player. PM me with your email and I can send you some pics if you want.

Amp
Reg. Aug 2011
Posted 2011-08-25 10:00 AM (#137001 - in reply to #136983)

So you mounted the tank on the interior of the trailer?

most of the finished trailers from the factory hang them underneath correct. If am wanting to do this, can I buy the tanks for underneath from a camper store. Does anybody have a website that is best to buy parts?

Would you mount the gas hot water heater in a cbinet and just vent it out the side?
horsecamper
Reg. Sep 2008
Posted 2011-08-25 10:59 AM (#137007 - in reply to #136983)

Veteran

Amp, you say that you have a 6 foot shortwall. Is it the model 8645? If so, you can see pictures of many good interiors on this website in the trailers for sale section. Featherlite does a very good job in optimizing the LQ in the 8546 trailer. I had a custom interior done by a local place that was amazing for layout and space optimization. You can see the pictures of it at https://picasaweb.google.com/100878032140884175593/FeatherliteTraile...
Possibly think about a certified LQ installation. It will really help on resale.
slowrider
Reg. Apr 2010
Posted 2011-08-25 7:44 PM (#137019 - in reply to #136983)

Regular

For the layout, I always recommend a tablet of 1/4" graph paper, so that you can experiment on paper.

We once had a trailer that didn't have a gray or black water holding tank. The gray water went to a PVC pipe beneath the trailer, when we camped,we would unscrew the cap, and put a wheeled portable tank underneath. It had a nice bathroom, a great shower, and we used a porta-pot (they're not as bad as you think). The clean water holding tank was beneath the step to the bunk, and the water heater was beneath the kitchen sink.

Amp
Reg. Aug 2011
Posted 2011-08-26 7:01 AM (#137028 - in reply to #136983)

Thanks guys, keep the input coming please. This is going to help a bunch
Amp
Reg. Aug 2011
Posted 2011-08-26 7:10 AM (#137029 - in reply to #136983)

Horsecamper,

If you dont mind me asking what would a place like that charge? Looks like a nice job. Did your trailer already have the Hay Rack on top or did you add that?

horsecamper
Reg. Sep 2008
Posted 2011-08-26 11:17 AM (#137033 - in reply to #136983)

Veteran

Amp, I just called the outfit that did my old trailer (2005) and asked them for rough estimate. The response was $18,000. This is PNW pricing, and I believe that you could do better in MO. If I remember correctly, you have a good conversion place in Nixa, if it is still around. Also, there are probably other conversion places which would give you a quote if you provided layout and specifications. I believe that "Hosspuller", a veteran forum member does LQ's. Perhaps he will also see your post and provide a response. I added the hayrack at time of purchase in 2005. At that time, the cost installed was $900. Mine might be a bit more expensive than others will pay. I am willing to pay the higher price to have a diamond plate floor in the hayrack. I really like the hayracks for storing all manner of things, especially a water tank.
farmbabe
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2011-08-26 1:58 PM (#137034 - in reply to #136983)

Expert

I saw a home made shower area a friend made. There was no grey tank for the bath water just a drain on the floor. Its just wash water not sewage so it doesn't seem to harm anything.It was installed in the corner of the dressing room. The water heater was placed in the corner and to access the heating unit( and tank) it was behind a false wall made with the tub liner you can by in home depot. I wish I had photos but it was simply and easy