new trailer help - please :)
maxwellcave
Reg. Jun 2011
Posted 2011-06-25 11:49 PM (#135135)
Subject: new trailer help - please :)

New User

Hello everyone!

I am interested in a 3H Slant Equistar BP trailer... I was told that it weighs 3500. Does anyone have an idea how much weight would be added to the trailer if I add another foot to the overall length?

Also, I was wondering what everyone thinks would be the best size/type of truck would be best to pull the trailer safely. We have a truck that we already use to pull a 16ft stock trailer... I will have to go look to see how much that one weighs, but I figure the Merhow will be around the same or a little heavier.

Any helpful information would be appreciated, thank you!
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2011-06-26 8:30 AM (#135140 - in reply to #135135)
Subject: RE: new trailer help - please :)

Expert

Check with the manufacture.  Since they have the ability to build a trailer in the varying lengths that you are considering, They can tell you what those trailers weigh. Any answer we give will be a guess or someones opinion.

If your current truck is pulling a 4h stock trailer safely, I would suggest it will pull a 3h just fine.  And while you can probably get away with a 1/2 ton pick up ( especially the new ones) for most bumper pull trailers.  I really think any serious towing should be done with a 3/4 to 1 ton truck.

Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2011-06-26 11:45 AM (#135142 - in reply to #135135)

Expert

I was up to the local trailhead and I saw this rig.  It is parked up there several times a week. It's a Ford Ranger pulling a 4 horse stock trailer. And he seems to do it just fine.

The point being. What you tow and where you tow are both important consideration. This fellow haul 1 horse and 2 dogs.. He pulls this rig a couple miles from his house to the trail head.   Do I think he is under trucked to haul his horses up into the mountains. Absolutely. Does he successfully tow the short distance along relatively flat roads from his home to the trailhead in the foot hills.  yes.

You have asked what kind of truck is safe for you to use.  It will really depend on what kind of towing, how much weight, what kind of terrain you will be towing across..

maxwellcave
Reg. Jun 2011
Posted 2011-06-26 10:53 PM (#135170 - in reply to #135135)

New User

Okay well, they say the trailer weighs 3500 but I am going to change the floor to Rumber which will add some weight of course... and might possibly add a foot to the small dressing room so that would add some as well. Other then that, there will be two... sometimes three horses (all QH/Paint 15-15.2H) and tack for said horses. Will usually be on flat roads with some small inclines but nothing I would even consider a real hill... probably only a 15-30min drive to our most common locations. On occasion an hour or more, and possibly 4-6hrs once or twice a year (with 2-3 horses). It is also harder to say "I can have an F-150 and it will work fine for ____" because every generation of truck changes. Family members have been pulling all types/sizes of trailers with just as many types/sizes of trucks - I guess I just want to see how people who know more specifically feel about horse trailers & trucks. :) I wouldn't feel so bad about a utility trailer having a problem and somehow loosing it on the road but I would with my horse trailers and horses! 8
maxwellcave
Reg. Jun 2011
Posted 2011-06-26 11:58 PM (#135171 - in reply to #135135)

New User

After I posted I realized I might not have been very clear... I need to go get some sleep :)

Yeah haha. Well, they say the trailer weighs 3500 but I am going to add Rumber which will add some weight of course... and might possibly add a foot to the small dressing room so that would add some as well. Other then that, there will be two... sometimes three horses (all QH/Paint 15-15.2H) and tack for said horses.

We will usually be on flat roads with some small inclines but nothing I would even consider a real hill... and probably only a 15-30min drive to our most common locations. On occasion an hour or more, and possibly 4-6hrs once or twice a year (with 2-3 horses).

It is hard to say "I can get a F-150 and it will work fine for ______" because every generation of truck changes and they update something to make it stronger etc. Family members have been pulling all types/sizes of trailers with just as many types/sizes of trucks - I guess I just want to see what people who know more specifically about pulling horses would feel about this setup. :) I wouldn't feel so bad about using a bad setup with a utility/flatbed trailer since there are no lives involved but I wouldnt want to change it with my horses! :)

Thank you!
PaulChristenson
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2011-06-27 12:58 AM (#135179 - in reply to #135135)

Expert

If you go with a customized bumper pull...the one thing you want to keep an eye on is the pin weight...if TOO MUCH floor length is added between the hitch and the axles...things can get ugly very quickly...
maxwellcave
Reg. Jun 2011
Posted 2011-06-27 4:51 PM (#135211 - in reply to #135135)

New User

Thank you Paul :)
Do you think a foot would be okay or would that be risky? Is there a way for me to tell if it is going to be too much weight? :/
Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2011-06-27 6:05 PM (#135212 - in reply to #135135)

Expert

Again, I'm going to suggest you talk to the manufacture who is building the trailer for you. They can tell you how much weight the added foot of trailer will add.  When they build the trailer they can center or place the axles so as to balance out the weight that is placed on the tongue of the trailer.

From hallmark trailers webstite

For tag or bumper mount trailers, it is generally accepted that tongue weight is 10 - 15% of the curb weight. Heavily optioned trailer may influence this number to be 20% or more. Also poor, improper or unbalanced loading may contribute. That is why consideration for how payload and features are placed inside of the trailer are very important, not only to tongue weight but overall ride quality.

The other consideration is how much tongue weight your hitch will support. You can read that number on your hitch.  make sure your new trailer will not exceed the maximum listed on the hitch