Brushy Creek Iowa
CTRider
Reg. Sep 2009
Posted 2011-06-19 4:25 PM (#134965)
Subject: Brushy Creek Iowa

Extreme Veteran

Anyone here been to the north equestrian camp at Brushy Creek ? What are the campsites like? Is it easy to park a fairly large rig? Are the water hydrants close or do you need to bring water? Or do they have water hooks for the trailers? Website doesnt give lots of details. Says some sites are reservable. Any info about the camp and trails is appreciated. Also anyone familiar with Lucky J Steaks and Arena in Carthage, MO? Looking at this as possible overnight stop.
Thanks,
Patti
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
IcePonyGoddess
Reg. Nov 2006
Posted 2011-06-19 4:57 PM (#134968 - in reply to #134965)
Subject: RE: Brushy Creek Iowa

Elite Veteran

Is there a reason you would prefer to camp at the north campground?

I've never been there, but I have heard that the trail around the lake is boring and mostly gravel/pavement.

I've camped at the South campground. The campground is wonderful! Sites are huge, lots of pull thru sites. The trails are lovely in the south area.

CTRider
Reg. Sep 2009
Posted 2011-06-19 6:49 PM (#134972 - in reply to #134965)

Extreme Veteran

Well I am considering going to a competition there and I am about positive the directions say they are using the north campground. Perhaps it is bigger? Since we must have a minimum of 25 miles of trail I assume there is more to use than a gravel/paved drive.  I will go back and look at the ride information. Thanks
IcePonyGoddess
Reg. Nov 2006
Posted 2011-06-19 7:06 PM (#134973 - in reply to #134972)

Elite Veteran

FYI:

Equestrian Camping
Equestrian users enjoy one of the most modern camp facilities in the Midwest. The northern equestrian campground has a modern shower and restroom, 125 campsites (50 electrical), horse wash area, ample shade, a substantial hitch rail at every site (users are required to tie animals to rails) and a 100' by 200' arena. Water hydrants with potable water are available, as are picnic tables, grills, and a playground. In the future another shower/toilet building will be constructed.

The south campground has a modern shower and restroom with 62 electric, 22 non-electric sites, and 8 full water and sewer hookup sites with the same amenities as the northern campground. Advance campsite reservations can be reserved online through the park reservation system. Half of the campsites are still available on a first-come, first-serve basis.

Horses are not to be hitched or tied to trees, shrubs or park facilities in a manner that will cause injury or damage to the plant or facility. Animals may be hitched to trailers for short periods of time for grooming and saddling. Animals must be stabled inside a trailer, at a hitch rail or in stalls or corrals if provided. Portable stall/pens or electric fences are not allowed.

Trails
With approximately 45 miles of multi-use trails, there are trail activities for everyone including horseback riding, hiking, snowmobiling, cross country skiing, and mountain biking. Mountain biking is allowed on all multiple use trails.

Ranger Office
515/543-8298

Make you reservations! As this park fills up FAST.

If you go to the reservation site, you will fill a ton of info on the camp sites including photos and info on if it's a back in site or a pull through. I am also sure you can always find someone to back your rig into the site.

http://iowastateparks.reserveamerica.com/

PLEASE KEEP IN MIND...THAT IF IT RAINS....THE TRAILS ARE CLOSED!!

I have been there down (6 hour one way drive for me) when the trails were closed the entire time I was there...due to rain and wet trail conditions.

Enjoy your ride there!

Iowamulerider
Reg. Oct 2010
Posted 2011-07-05 3:28 PM (#135395 - in reply to #134965)

New User

hey there,

We went a couple of weeks ago and we have a 49 foot trailer.  Parking was a breeze at the north.  The south has spots for big trailers as well.

As stated before check your trail conditions before you haul.  If the trails are closed then all you have is the trail around the lake that is EXTREMELY boring!!!  The south trails are much much more fun.  They most likely have you camping on the north side because the south fills up fast.

Let me know if you have any more questions.  I live about 20 minutes away from there!!

Have fun!!