Awnings-replace or repair
tirebiter
Reg. Oct 2009
Posted 2011-06-10 9:35 AM (#134738)
Subject: Awnings-replace or repair

Regular

Have a 20' Carefree of Colorado awning that has been a pain to use, ( wondering what is 'carefree' about it??).  I bought this '03 Jamco last year and don't know the age of the awning.  Anyway it is difficult to operate--i.e. to get it to unroll--to get it to roll back up--and then sometimes it workks fine!  When I bought it the seller had the lock/unlock mechanism replaced  but it would stick so I took it to another dealer for repair and they 'fixed it' by removing the pull string for the unlock feature! 

Coming home recently from a camping trip we encountered some strong wind gusts that partially unrolled the awning--and loosened one of the handle screws on the upright arms.  Are these typical problems people experience with their awnings?

I am thinking of replacing it and have been reading about the pros and cons of the two step awnings.  What would you do--anyone??  p.s.  I won't be installing anything myself.

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
rad111
Reg. Apr 2009
Posted 2011-06-10 9:58 AM (#134739 - in reply to #134738)
Subject: RE: Awnings-replace or repair

New User

I have a 19' Carefree of Colorado awning also. I've had it for a couple of years now and the only issue I've had with it was one of the screws on the upright arm was stripped out and could not be tightened. I took it to an rv repair place and they fixed it and has been working just fine. Also the rv technician mentioned that the carefree awnings are one of the moreheavier duty and made brands of awnings.
skeil@midway
Reg. Aug 2009
Posted 2011-06-10 1:46 PM (#134746 - in reply to #134738)

Tirebiter, I had the A&E 2-step awning on my last 2 trailers, & loved it. Very quick & easy to roll-out and put away; it makes other awnings seem like too much work. It tilts by itself to allow rain to run off, plus has a knee-flex action allowing it to move somewhat better in the wind.
Before anyone is quick to point out that we sell awnings, sure we do, along with the other styles, but the OP did ask for opinions, which I am giving as an awning user.
tirebiter
Reg. Oct 2009
Posted 2011-06-10 1:57 PM (#134747 - in reply to #134738)

Regular

Thanks to you both for the feedback/information.  I was looking for your number earlier today, Midway.  People sure are divided about the two-step awnings---so I just might repair this one for now. 
doughbelly
Reg. Mar 2009
Posted 2011-06-11 3:47 AM (#134759 - in reply to #134738)

Veteran

I would not consider nothing but a Two Step. After numerous trips with our group of about 15 trailers and all different kinds of weather they all stated they would replace theirs with a two step. The bad side with a two Step in a bad wind or storm, yours is up and you wind up helping all the other people get theirs up.