adding propane to an existing LQ
ridingarocky
Reg. Aug 2008
Posted 2011-05-06 10:31 AM (#133887)
Subject: adding propane to an existing LQ

Elite Veteran

I have been cruising through available LQs and have stumbled upon one on this site that fits most of my needs except it does not have propane powered anything. The places that I camp do not have electrical hookups. How hard would it be to add a propane system (?) to it's LQ? I would want to have a propane powered fridge and would like to add a furnace. Listing # 307701
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
SRWilson
Reg. Jul 2010
Posted 2011-05-06 10:52 AM (#133888 - in reply to #133887)
Subject: RE: adding propane to an existing LQ

Regular

Riding,Adding Propane isn't at all difficult. I am building my DIY LQ now and just finished plumbing the LP. I just used 1" black pipe as distribution lines under the trailer and type L Copper line to feed the appliances. My appliances called for 3/8" but I think others may differ. The only thing I would caution you about would be to ensure that you pressure test the lines to unsure that you don't have any LP leaks. It is also a good idea to put a small whole on the floor. LP is heaver than air so if you have a leak it is good for it to have a place to escape.Also most LP refers like NORCOLD have specific dimentions of air space required for the refer to function properly. This is not only for the exhaust but also to allow the appliance to breath correctly. Air intake and exhaust portals are also very important so if you have an aversion to cutting holes in the side of your trailer, beware!!I should be posting some pictures soon of mine and you can take a gander.Sean
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2011-05-06 3:33 PM (#133896 - in reply to #133887)

Expert

Adding Propane isn't at all difficult.

No, it's not physically difficult. However unless you are well versed in plumbing installations, and are willing to involve a gas that can kill you and your family, it is not a DIY that you should take lightly. There are many parts of the installation that are critical, forming a perfect flare, knowing when to use pipe dope instead of teflon tape, the right place for rigid and flex lines, the correct venting, and understanding the the mechanical operation of each connected appliance etc.

If you are not well versed in these installations, I would recommend that you install the appliances, and have a certified mechanic run the gas system and then ops test the appliances.

You will also have to run the proper electrical circuits to support the various appliances.

A properly mounted CO detector is a must:

http://chemistry.about.com/od/howthingswork/a/codetectors.htm

Edited by gard 2011-05-06 3:37 PM
ridingarocky
Reg. Aug 2008
Posted 2011-05-07 6:02 PM (#133908 - in reply to #133887)

Elite Veteran

Thanks guys. I wasn't planning on doing it myself.. I know my limitations.. I was just wondering about the feasibility of doing it.. I have no hookups where I camp, and I imagine no battery would be powerful enough to support a fridge or even a heat strip alone.. I would certainly follow all safety recommendations. I just wondered if it was economically feasible, or should I just keep looking.. I'm not really in a rush, but probably wouldn't hesitate (too much..LOL!) if I found the absolute perfect (for me) trailer at a price I wouldn't mind plunking down.