Where to go for last minute trip in IN or OH?
Bleve
Reg. Nov 2009
Posted 2010-10-26 1:17 AM (#126243)
Subject: Where to go for last minute trip in IN or OH?

Regular

We're looking at a last minute trip next week and figured we'd head south from MI to chase decent weather. We're having trouble choosing a destination w/in about 6 hours of Lansing. We've been looking around Brown County IN but all the fees are kind of a turnoff (camping, park entrance, bridle tag). Hoosier NF has its own "recreational user" fee if I recall.We've been to Hocking Hills in OH and that was great. Free primitive camping with some peace and privacy with nice scenic trails. I'm looking at Shawnee and Zaleski state forests but can't find good info on the trails or campground.So any suggestions on where to spend 4-5 days. We like quiet, primitive camping (stock trailer and a tent, all we need is a pit john and water source). Loop trails between 2 and 6 hours of riding. Mountain biking in the same park (separate trails) is a definite plus (or at least in the area). Thanks for any help.
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
robdnorm
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2010-10-26 8:19 AM (#126256 - in reply to #126243)
Subject: RE: Where to go for last minute trip in IN or OH?

Extreme Veteran

I would recommend Double M camp in Shawnee. They have a website as well. Google Double M campground and it should appear. They have an area for primitive camping and the trails have recently been renovated. They have a restaurant on the premises as well. The rates are very reasonable.
Dwight
Reg. Jan 2006
Posted 2010-10-26 8:40 AM (#126258 - in reply to #126243)

Extreme Veteran

O'Bannon Woods in southern Indiana has a lovely primitive camp (they also have an electric camp up the hill)  The primitive camp has 3 or 4 pit toilets positioned within the camp and one centrally located shower house.

There are several trails that lead off from the primitive camp.  Anything from 2-6 hour loops.

I'll send you a PM with some more info.

This pic was taken last fall around the end of Oct.  There were maybe 20 trailers in over the weekend, but by Sunday afternoon we had the place to ourselves!

Dwight
Reg. Jan 2006
Posted 2010-10-26 9:01 AM (#126261 - in reply to #126243)

Extreme Veteran

Meant to say the pic was taken the end of Oct. last year.

Also, you can not make reservations on the internet after Oct.  You will have to call.

Edited by Dwight 2010-10-26 9:04 AM
GRNMCHNEDAZE
Reg. Mar 2010
Posted 2010-10-26 9:32 AM (#126266 - in reply to #126243)

Extreme Veteran

Just got back from Hocking Hills last week. Highly recommend it! It was great. Free primitive camping, ultra quiet campground, and the park's staff is friendly. The trails are nicely marked and there are maps of them so it's hard to get lost. The trails and sights are amazing! Don't know if you drink alcohol, but the park officers are sticklers about it.

My biggest complaint was the water source-which wasn't a big deal. The pump and underground lines are crushed so the park service brings water in a 1000 gal tank on a truck. They were really good about keeping water in the truck, but if you're at the back of the camp loop, it can be somewhat tedious to get water back to camp as the truck is only about a 1/3 of the way back. I would recommend bringing a water tank and drive back and forth between your camp and water truck. Or try to get a site close to the truck.. The people around there are extrememly nice. Toilets are a shack with a hole in the ground. All you need I guess. My wife and I survived a week ;) Bring TP.

We were there 7 days and rode about 85-90% of the trails. We could have gone the 100% but we chose to ride some of the same ones over again. I sure hope your horses are in shape as these trails will put them through their paces. Places to see: Chapel cave, Box canyon, airplane rock, the repelling area/table top rock, conkles hollow, and the artesian well. There are a few trails that we took out of curiosity/ignorance and would recomend not going on--very dangerous/steep. All of the trails that are marked with color (i.e. orange, purple, red) are easy trails for the most part-nice and wide. White trails are trails to overlooks and "connector" trails but some are more challenging trails. Green trails are hiking only. Blue trail is part of the Ohio Buckeye Trail.

If you have any questions, just ask. :)

Edited by GRNMCHNEDAZE 2010-10-26 9:35 AM
robdnorm
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2010-10-26 1:23 PM (#126275 - in reply to #126243)

Extreme Veteran

Dwight...

Does the campground offer water and electric sites in the horse camp?  I got on their website, but wasn't sure if that would be available. 

Dwight
Reg. Jan 2006
Posted 2010-10-26 3:27 PM (#126287 - in reply to #126243)

Extreme Veteran

There are two horse camps at O'Bannon.  One electric and one primitive.  Both have water spigots close, but not at every site.  Be sure to take plenty of hose.

If you go to the IN website and look at the campsite map, you should be able to choose a site close to the water.

http://www.in.gov/dnr/parklake/2976.htm

TheOtherHorse
Reg. Mar 2008
Posted 2010-10-26 7:46 PM (#126293 - in reply to #126243)

Regular

I love O'Bannon Woods! We camped there for a long weekend about 2 months ago, and it was lovely. I've also been for day rides twice. Beautiful trails and scenery. Lots of nice terrain, and beautiful views of the Ohio River (you can ride along the edge on the Blue River trail). The map is outdated and the trails aren't marked well in all areas, but its not too bad-- I managed to not get lost at all in 6 days of riding. We stayed at the primitive camp, which was just fine, and more spread out and quiet than the electric camp. There are pit toilets, running water, horse wash racks, and even a decent shower house.Don't forget about the health certs required in Indiana- some places check for them, in my experience and from what I've heard, O'Bannon doesn't check.
Bleve
Reg. Nov 2009
Posted 2010-10-26 7:57 PM (#126294 - in reply to #126243)

Regular

Thanks for the ideas, it's helping us choose a destination. The Shawnee Nat. Forest in IL (only Double M I could find associated with Shawnee) is enticing but about a 9-10 hour drive and we were hoping to keep it a little closer to home. I was looking at the Shawnee State Forest in southern OH.

I'm checking into O'Bannon Woods now and it's definitely interesting. Google puts it at almost seven hours though and it doesn't appear to have any mountain biking (not a necessity, just a plus). A shower house at a primitive campground would be a nice perk. Any knowledge of Yellowwood State Forest next to Brown County? I think the camping was free there (still need a bridle tag) but could ride out and trailer over to a trail that interested us (not ideal, but if it saves us $50 it's an idea).

The Hocking Hills are almost exactly what we are looking for, but we've already been and want to check out new areas. GRNMCHNEDAZE, do you have any experience at other places like Zaleski or Shawnee state forests?

Thank you again everyone.

Edited by Bleve 2010-10-26 7:59 PM
rimrockranch
Reg. Jan 2008
Posted 2010-10-26 9:37 PM (#126297 - in reply to #126243)

Zaleski SF - primitive; outhouse; water for horses in stock pond,no well. No tie lines, must bring your own line or tie to rickety wooden triangles.Small camp, only 17 or so sites so you may have to pull in early to get a site for the weekend. There's usually some sort of Halloween bash going on this weekend in the group camp. Well-marked trails, can be mucky but not this fall because it has been so dry. Can ride to Uncle Buck's Stable on the dark blue trail (rt 16 miles) for a beer and burger. No mtn biking that I'm aware of.

Shawnee SF - Large campground, can get pretty rowdy. Primitive, outhouses, only water is in the creek behind the camp, I think and I think there are some tie lines. Well marked trails. There's also a private campground nearby - Ben's Happy Trails. He has electric & showers. But you have to ride some road to get the trails. Check out his website for more info. Again not sure about mountain biking but the ODNR website has descriptions of all the state forests and parks, including types of trails and miles.

I'd suggest Salt Fork State Park near Cambridge. Primitive, lots of tie lines for horse, outhouse & 2-3 pumps throughout the campground with potable water. Well-marked trails (white, purple, blue orange), lots of views of the lake. You can use the showers in the people campground, the parks has lots of other things to do tho' activities are winding down for the season.
Bleve
Reg. Nov 2009
Posted 2010-10-26 10:49 PM (#126298 - in reply to #126243)

Regular

rimrockranch, thanks for the descriptions of the camps. We'd be arriving on a Mon and staying through Fri or Sat so we aren't too concerned about crowds, figure we should be able to get a site no problem. I would be glad to stay away from the "rowdy" campgrounds though, prefer peace and quiet. We're pretty self contained but we can only carry about 3 days worth of water so that info is good to have.

You mentioned bringing our own tie lines or the triangles. When we were at Hocking Hills we used the triangles (terrible setup I thought) because the rules said no picket lines. We actually had ours up with towels and stuff drying on it but thankfully no horses when a ranger came by (we weren't there) and he left us a note to take it down. Other campers told us it's a big ticket but they convinced him we were just using it as a clothesline. I figured it would be the same rules in other state forest camps.

I just looked at Salt Fork but it only has 12 miles of bridle trails according to the website, are there others not listed? Thank you for the new suggestion.

Dwight
Reg. Jan 2006
Posted 2010-10-27 6:18 AM (#126304 - in reply to #126243)

Extreme Veteran

Bleve - O'Bannon and Deam Lake both allow biking on certain trails.  Not sure how many miles, but you should be able to find that info on the DNR site.

rimrockranch - Concerning Ben's Happy Trails, how much road and what type of road do you have to ride to get to the trails?  We are considering a trip up there next spring.  I e-mailed him but never got a response.  The website says there is a $2 or $3 charge for the shower.  I was wondering of that applies to campers or just day riders.

rimrockranch
Reg. Jan 2008
Posted 2010-10-27 11:03 AM (#126316 - in reply to #126243)

Salt Fork has 50 +/-. The white trail is a figure 8, each loop is 12 miles though the total "24" miles takes about 5 hours with a gaited horse at a walk. The purple & orange are 12-13 miles each; & the purple has a cut-off in the middle if you want an easy hour long ride. The purple also connects with the blue, which is about 10 miles. As you come in the horse campground, turn right there's a nice grassy area straight ahead thats great for tents because it's not real level for trailers.

Zaleski & Shawnee will both be fine during the week, you'll probably have it mostly to yourself. The rowdies come on the weekend to Shawnee. As far as I know you can picket at Zaleski because I've seen people do it, probably it's OK as long as you don't tie to trees. BTW it is free to camp at Zaleski & Shawnee because they are state forests, Salt Fork is a park & it is $15/night.
rimrockranch
Reg. Jan 2008
Posted 2010-10-27 11:17 AM (#126317 - in reply to #126304)

Dwight - It's about a half mile on asphalt road to one trail. That road does have some traffic and the locals are not always considerate of horses. To access other trails you will have to ride the road to the camp or some forest roads (usually gravel). Ben does charge the campers for showers and there is a toilet in each, one for each gender. In the camp there is an outhouse. We were there Memorial Day 2009 and it was pretty bad by the end of the weekend. He has telephone posts for hitching rails or you can run picket lines between trees.

Bleve
Reg. Nov 2009
Posted 2010-10-27 10:46 PM (#126346 - in reply to #126316)

Regular

Originally written by rimrockranch on 2010-10-27 12:03 PM

Zaleski & Shawnee will both be fine during the week, you'll probably have it mostly to yourself. The rowdies come on the weekend to Shawnee. As far as I know you can picket at Zaleski because I've seen people do it, probably it's OK as long as you don't tie to trees. BTW it is free to camp at Zaleski & Shawnee because they are state forests, Salt Fork is a park & it is $15/night.

Do they have tie posts? What are you supposed to picket to if you can't use trees?

We're definitely leaning towards Zaleski or Shawnee now just because we'd save some money in camping and bridle tag fees from similar places in IN. We had a good time in Hocking Hills, hopefully we can keep exploring the area. (Although the 10 day forecast looks slightly better in IN, but not by much)

rimrockranch
Reg. Jan 2008
Posted 2010-10-28 9:12 AM (#126353 - in reply to #126346)

You can tie to the center posts in the triangles.
Rockin_horse72
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2010-10-28 1:18 PM (#126364 - in reply to #126243)

Veteran

One place that hasnt been mentioned is East Fork (Ohio). It might be outside of the distancve you want to travel, but it is a nice place with nice trails. There are about 55 miles of trails there. I havent been there in a long time, but I loved it when I was there. There are highlines on each site and a nice shower house.

GRNMCHNEDAZE
Reg. Mar 2010
Posted 2010-10-28 1:56 PM (#126367 - in reply to #126243)

Extreme Veteran

No Experience with Shawnee. Sorry :( My in-laws go there frequently and seem to enjoy it. I live about 20 min from East Fork State park (OH) so I'm there a few times a month. IMO, They have one of the best horse camps that I've been to by far, but you'll pay $27 a night for it. The stables "across the trail" will let you board your horse there overnight for $10 a night if the weather turns bad..includes hay and water. You have to muck the stalls. Sites have water, nice bath houses/toilets. Electric at every site. The trails are..pretty good. Not as nice and not as well marked as Hocking, but there's lots of trails, pretty scenery. It would be a pretty good drive from Michigan, though. Thought about Tar Hollow? Never been but I know its not that far from Hocking. My in-laws go there a couple times a year. It's primitive and free I believe... There's also Hueston Woods in OH. Again, never been and would like to hear some input from those that have went there. Those sites have bathhouses and electric similar to East Fork IIRC.

Edited by GRNMCHNEDAZE 2010-10-28 1:57 PM
HorseyHeidi
Reg. Jan 2008
Posted 2010-10-29 7:02 PM (#126435 - in reply to #126243)

I vote for Salt fork also! It's my favorite place in Ohio to go.  It's very hilly & fun.  Purple & white trails follow the river for beautiful views.  The horse camping area is big with high lines on most. A few camping areas are more secluded for privacy if wanted.  There is a porta toilet & water.  If you unhook you can drive a couple minutes to the RV camping & use there nice hot showers for free. Happy Trails :)   
Bleve
Reg. Nov 2009
Posted 2010-10-30 12:02 AM (#126445 - in reply to #126243)

Regular

Thank you everyone for all of the great help and suggestions. I think we're going to start at Zaleski, then if we ride everything we want or decide we don't like it we'll move over to Tar Hollow as they seem pretty close together (under an hour easily). If those fail we know we have a backup option of Hocking Hills between so we should have plenty of good choices.

Now, does anyone have a good site with maps of the horse trails? The DNR map has a bridle trail map for Tar Hollow, but not Zaleski.

rimrockranch
Reg. Jan 2008
Posted 2010-10-30 9:16 PM (#126467 - in reply to #126243)

Go to the Trail Maps section of the Ohio Horseman's Council: www.ohiohorsemanscouncil.com. Have fun, I like the trails at Zaleski and Tar Hollow; not as scenic as Hocking but still nice.
Bleve
Reg. Nov 2009
Posted 2010-10-31 1:05 AM (#126468 - in reply to #126467)

Regular

Originally written by rimrockranch on 2010-10-30 9:16 PM

Go to the Trail Maps section of the Ohio Horseman's Council: www.ohiohorsemanscouncil.com. Have fun, I like the trails at Zaleski and Tar Hollow; not as scenic as Hocking but still nice.

Perfect, thank you.

rimrockranch
Reg. Jan 2008
Posted 2010-10-31 9:01 AM (#126472 - in reply to #126468)

You're welcome! If you have any other questions, feel free to pm me.
Bleve
Reg. Nov 2009
Posted 2010-11-01 5:58 PM (#126529 - in reply to #126472)

Regular

Originally written by rimrockranch on 2010-10-31 10:01 AM

You're welcome! If you have any other questions, feel free to pm me.
Yeah, how do I get my wife to stop cleaning the house for our petsitter so we can leave before noon?!?!
rimrockranch
Reg. Jan 2008
Posted 2010-11-01 10:01 PM (#126537 - in reply to #126243)

Now that I can't help you with, I totally understand her motivation. Just remind her that it's a chore to set up camp when it's cold & dark so it's best to get on the road before noon.
Bleve
Reg. Nov 2009
Posted 2010-11-09 11:26 PM (#126882 - in reply to #126243)

Regular

Thanks so much for the help last week. We camped at Zaleski Mon thru Thursday with one other gentleman and had some real nice rides through the woods and out to the Moonville Tunnel. Wish we had read up on that area before visiting as it looks like we missed some interesting things. We then moved Thurs night to Tar Hollow and stayed thru Sun before heading home. We enjoyed the Zaleski trails a little bit more and found the few other campers a little less gracious at Tar Hollow (tied up dogs left alone all day barking non-stop, generators running for hours causing people to yell over their campfire to be heard and even a generator running all night long). Anyway it was a good trip and we appreciate all the advice and help we got.
rimrockranch
Reg. Jan 2008
Posted 2010-11-11 10:25 PM (#126967 - in reply to #126243)

Glad to hear that you had a good time. Yeah, Tar Hollow has a bit of a reputation, sounds like the camp was pretty full so that you couldn't get away from it all. I'll bet the trails were in good condition both places since we've had so little rain.