Trailer Payment Methods at QH Congress
EHC
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2010-09-30 7:08 AM (#125341)
Subject: Trailer Payment Methods at QH Congress

Hello all!I am traveling from Missouri to Ohio next week for the quarter horse congress to search for a trailer. Since I am a long distance from my home what type of payment methods do you think would be acceptable for buyer and seller? I am not sure if I will purchase a new or used trailer from a dealer, but possibly a used one from someone wanting to trade in. Some other paperwork thoughts are, what about the title and a bill of sale? Thank you for your thoughts!
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
EHC
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2010-09-30 9:43 AM (#125342 - in reply to #125341)
Subject: RE: Trailer Payment Methods at QH Congress

My initial thoughts are that I don't want to carry cash and a personal check would probably not work for the seller since they do not know who I am. Would a cashiers check or money transfer work?Those of you who have bought trailers long distance let me know your thoughts on how you completed a transaction. Just hoping to get things lined up by tomorrow at my bank because I'll be leaving Sunday.
Snickers
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2010-09-30 9:54 AM (#125343 - in reply to #125341)

Veteran

Why not check with your bank about a wire transfer to the sellers bank. I have never done this but have a friend that does this quite often.

laurie
Reg. Jun 2004
Posted 2010-09-30 10:25 AM (#125344 - in reply to #125341)

Extreme Veteran

I am guessing if you buy new they would take a personal check with a letter of credit from your bank. They hold the totle until the check clears. Used I would want a wire transfer to let the trailer go. If they have a loan on it you wouldn't be able to get the title the same day but if they owned it outright they could sign it over to you. Be sure to get a bill of sale.
flatlandfilly
Reg. Jun 2006
Posted 2010-09-30 12:10 PM (#125345 - in reply to #125341)

Veteran

If you buy a used trailer from an individual who has a loan on it do not give them the agreed on sale price. Once they have the money they may or may not pay off the loan.

You need to contact the bank through which the seller has their loan and get the payoff amount. Usually good for about ten days. Then pay the trailer owner the difference between what is still owed on their loan and the agreed on purchase price for the trailer. Then remit to the bank the payoff amount. They will send you the title. Or if you finance the trailer the title will go to your bank until the loan is paid.

Sounds complicated but it's not really. It's like buying a house. The seller doesn't receive the whole sales price. It's the sales price minus the balance on the existing loan. The title or closing company handles the money so there is no question that the loan is paid before title can be transferred.

Sorry if I sound cynical. Have fun at the Congress.
Paracadista
Reg. Oct 2009
Posted 2010-09-30 3:15 PM (#125348 - in reply to #125341)

I'm not sure what your schedule is, but my experience at Congress has been to go to the show the last few days for serious shopping.  Last year the dealers were dealing OK the first two weeks but got more serious in the last few days.  As for buying used, you almost have to be standing there when the trade-in costomer walks up or the used trailer is out in the parking lot with the dealer mark-up before you know it.  Good luck with your shopping and if you choose to go new, it is really nice that all of the dealers are right close so you can compare and find what best suits you for the money. 

hosspuller
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2010-09-30 4:32 PM (#125349 - in reply to #125348)

Expert

Originally written by Paracadista on 2010-09-30 12:15 PM

I'm not sure what your schedule is, but my experience at Congress has been to go to the show the last few days for serious shopping.  Last year the dealers were dealing OK the first two weeks but got more serious in the last few days.  As for buying used, you almost have to be standing there when the trade-in costomer walks up or the used trailer is out in the parking lot with the dealer mark-up before you know it.  Good luck with your shopping and if you choose to go new, it is really nice that all of the dealers are right close so you can compare and find what best suits you for the money. 

Perhaps a "Wanted" sign at the trailer entrance with some details of your trailer requirements and a cell phone number can get you a trailer and a seller a better price.

Edited by hosspuller 2010-09-30 4:33 PM
HWBar
Reg. Nov 2005
Posted 2010-09-30 7:51 PM (#125351 - in reply to #125341)

Expert

It's "buyers market" right now. Just keep that in mind.
buyshadow
Reg. Jan 2009
Posted 2010-10-01 5:22 AM (#125355 - in reply to #125341)

Regular

We will have several new and used units at the congress. Remember when you buy from a dealer, you have a lot of "back up" behind you. You know the trailer (if used) has been inspected, gone through, has a clear title! If you buy new from a dealer you have all the benefits of warranty both on the trailer and the lq appliances. Out dealership does accept: personal check or wire. Shoot me an email at info@ buyshadow.com and I can send you some previews!
HWBar
Reg. Nov 2005
Posted 2010-10-01 2:45 PM (#125368 - in reply to #125355)

Expert

Originally written by buyshadow on 2010-10-01 5:22 AM

We will have several new and used units at the congress. Remember when you buy from a dealer, you have a lot of "back up" behind you. You know the trailer (if used) has been inspected, gone through, has a clear title! If you buy new from a dealer you have all the benefits of warranty both on the trailer and the lq appliances. Out dealership does accept: personal check or wire. Shoot me an email at info@ buyshadow.com and I can send you some previews!

That's some real comedy, alot of "back up" on a used trailer? Really........ I would buy used from an individual everyday and twice on Sunday and feel better about it than buying a used trailer from a dealer. I agree with your statements about warranty on a new one, but for the most part a dealer knows nothing about a used trailer they have other than what they were told buy the original owner, if you are lucky you will get to buy one from the original owner before it goes through the "mark it BACK UP" process. :-{

Paracadista
Reg. Oct 2009
Posted 2010-10-01 4:06 PM (#125370 - in reply to #125368)

I believe that Coughlin Automotive (car dealer) is who handles the Shadow line of trailers at Congress.  I dont think that they run the used ones out to London OH to go thru them, in fact most trade in stuff I have ever looked at there hadnt even been washed.  Look as carefully as you would if you were to go look at any used trailer. 
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2010-10-01 5:00 PM (#125371 - in reply to #125341)

Expert

Some dealers are like politicians; they will say what ever the buyer wants to hear, to make a sale. It's what's said and done AFTER the sale that makes a good dealer.
PaulChristenson
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2010-10-02 12:38 AM (#125380 - in reply to #125371)

Expert

Originally written by gard on 2010-10-01 6:00 PM

Some dealers are like politicians; they will say what ever the buyer wants to hear, to make a sale. It's what's said and done AFTER the sale that makes a good dealer.
AMEN...
buyshadow
Reg. Jan 2009
Posted 2010-10-02 4:34 AM (#125382 - in reply to #125341)

Regular

Getting off subject a bit but felt the need to respond! Cant speak for all dealers but can speak for our dealership in Ocala, FL ... we go through EVERY unit top to bottom (lq or non lq) to make sure everything is as we say! We offer a 90 day warranty (which can be extended) and speaking for myself personally, I do strive to make every customer happy, not just for that sale, but for the sales they will send our way ....and repeat customers!

If you would like to view our inventory before congress, or just get pre-approved for financing, give me a call! I will work hard to earn your business! info@buyshadow.com

laurie
Reg. Jun 2004
Posted 2010-10-04 1:18 PM (#125452 - in reply to #125382)

Extreme Veteran

Originally written by buyshadow on 2010-10-02 4:34 AM

Getting off subject a bit but felt the need to respond! Cant speak for all dealers but can speak for our dealership in Ocala, FL ... we go through EVERY unit top to bottom (lq or non lq) to make sure everything is as we say! We offer a 90 day warranty (which can be extended) and speaking for myself personally, I do strive to make every customer happy, not just for that sale, but for the sales they will send our way ....and repeat customers!

If you would like to view our inventory before congress, or just get pre-approved for financing, give me a call! I will work hard to earn your business! info@buyshadow.com

Thank you for the follow up. I felt some of the comments were rude and it can be advantagous to buy from a dealer. Especially if your worried about getting a title as the OP suggested or have a trade.  scams are also possible from a private individual.

sdlepalpm
Reg. Nov 2008
Posted 2010-10-04 2:02 PM (#125453 - in reply to #125341)

Veteran

We bought a new trailer from a dealer at Congress several years ago.  We just looked around as to what we wanted, told that dealer which one we wanted and wrote them a check.  It was a 2 horse GN .  Our bank already knew what we wanted and approved the money.  The dealer faxed the info to our bank and we was good to go.  Came back 3 days later, they put temp. tags on it and away we went.  Two years later we drove 5 hours away to order a new 3 hrs. w/LQ from that same dealer and they traded our two horse in.  I would love to tell you the dealer because they have been great.  Would do business with them again!  Hope you find what you want out there.  I know it is exciting to see all the used ones as well, but I would buy new from a dealer if possible.