Eternabond question please
CowpokeKim
Reg. Aug 2010
Posted 2010-09-21 12:04 AM (#125083)
Subject: Eternabond question please

New User

Long time lurker, first time poster.....I have a question regarding Eternabond roof sealant: does anybody have feedback on using this on LQ roof seams? Our 2006 Kiefer is in need of re-sealing and I was reading about the RV community using this on aluminum roofs without removing the old caulking as long as it was not a silicone product. What I have read so far indicates this may be a good product but I am really looking for horse trailer specific feedback from users. Any info at all would be greatly appreciated!

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2010-09-21 11:08 AM (#125093 - in reply to #125083)
Subject: RE: Eternabond question please

Expert

There are several sources of tapes used to seal seams on roofs. Their ability to be effective over any length of time, depends a great deal onto what surface they are applied.

If you have a virgin, all metal roof that has had little or no caulking applied, the products are a good choice. If the multi material roof has been a chronic leaker, and various remedies have been attempted, there undoubtably will be the residue (s) of those attempts, remaining upon the roof. The tapes will have a problem with long term adhesion on these various patches.

Another consideration is the expansion and contraction of dissimilar roofing materials. I have a trailer with aluminum roofing caps, and a fiberglass roof panel. After ten years, the original caulking has failed in the joints, and the different rates of expansion have torn the seals. I now have a chronic leaking problem.

I choose an elastomeric roofing product with a reinforcing mesh to cover and seal the joints. These products will continue to seal in varying temperatures, at rates of up to 350% elongation. I haven't read where the capabilities of tapes can equal that kind of performance. The elastomeric products are also more able to adhere on less than perfect surfaces, and in spite of wire brushes and solvents, not all of our trailer's roof was absolutely pristine when the product was applied.

Next year I will reseal our Exiss trailer's roof. It is an all aluminum construction, and virgin without any extraneous sealing products. To date it has been leak free. I expect sealant tapes will be an excellent choice, and their ease of application will be well enjoyed.

There are different products for different circumstances. Some will not be applicable for each. You have to predetermine your roof's construction and condition, to choose which product will be most applicable.

trot-on
Reg. Dec 2009
Posted 2010-09-21 9:32 PM (#125104 - in reply to #125083)

Extreme Veteran

I did use the tape on our camper recently, but not on the trailer. I had also read about it on the RV sites, and found it to be easy enough to work with, and so far, holding on the rubber roof that needed repair, including over caulking (non silicone). I found a good deal on eBay:

http://stores.ebay.com/ReeseWholesale

Wish I could give an input on trailer use.

CowpokeKim
Reg. Aug 2010
Posted 2010-09-25 10:24 AM (#125197 - in reply to #125083)

New User

Thank you all for the info, we really appreciate it!:) We decided to use the 6" Eternabond and are doing the project this weekend. The manufacturer states that you can lay it on right over the old seals/caulking, but we have opted to scrape the old off, acetone and wire brush the surface and then apply the tape. I will post the results, our thoughts and observations, and pics for anyone that is interested. If all goes well, we should be set on the roof being sealed for years to come without worry.