How long should your batteries last between charges?
kcrazzmatazz
Reg. Feb 2010
Posted 2010-09-20 2:03 PM (#125057)
Subject: How long should your batteries last between charges?

I'm having an issue with my trailer - it seems like my batteries aren't holding a charge. I run my fridge on propane (although I know it also uses a small amount of electric) and am careful to only turn on the water pump specifically when it is used, and always turn off my lights when not used - and only use one set of lights at a time. However, I can't make it through 24 hours without turning on the generator to recharge. It is even worse if I need to use the heat - again, I use propane heat but I realize it uses electric to monitor the temp. I can run the generator at night and before I go to bed check the monitor and see that the charge is full. However, depending how cold it is, I often can't make it through a full night before my charge is down to nill.
I took the trailer in for service and they ran a full set of tests and said everything looks normal. Wondering what is standard for most LQs? I do endurance rides where there is rarely electric hookup and try to keep my generator use to a minimum.
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
wyndancer
Reg. Apr 2007
Posted 2010-09-20 2:14 PM (#125058 - in reply to #125057)
Subject: RE: How long should your batteries last between charges?

Extreme Veteran

With my two Trojan T-105, each 6 volts wired in series, I can camp for nearly a week. But all the lites are florescent, low power draw per lumen.My guess is your battery is a marine deep cycle, which is not much better than a straight up starting battery....and it's probably 3-5 years old, been discharged too far too often and now has a shallow memory.
kcrazzmatazz
Reg. Feb 2010
Posted 2010-09-20 4:52 PM (#125063 - in reply to #125057)

So, which batteries do you suggest?
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2010-09-20 5:03 PM (#125064 - in reply to #125057)

Expert

We have a weekender LQ with a single battery. The battery will last a full weekend. We have a full sized LQ with two batteries, and they will last 4-5 days. If the furnace is used, the time will drop by about half.

Marine deep cycle batteries work for us. (Autozone) Some people use 6V, golf cart batteries etc. We don't do enough primitive camping to warrant the larger batteries.

flyinghfarm
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2010-09-20 5:26 PM (#125065 - in reply to #125057)

Expert

Your heat, is a furnace?  With forced air via fans?  these seem to use a good deal of battery power........it depends on a lot of factors........
horsin around
Reg. Jun 2005
Posted 2010-09-20 9:44 PM (#125080 - in reply to #125057)

Extreme Veteran

I recently sold a trailer that had dual batteries and found out I had one bad battery and it was drawing down the good battery. Unplug the bad battery and the lights all came on again bright. 
laurie
Reg. Jun 2004
Posted 2010-09-26 12:08 PM (#125229 - in reply to #125057)

Extreme Veteran

Originally written by kcrazzmatazz on 2010-09-20 2:03 PM

I'm having an issue with my trailer - it seems like my batteries aren't holding a charge. I run my fridge on propane (although I know it also uses a small amount of electric) and am careful to only turn on the water pump specifically when it is used, and always turn off my lights when not used - and only use one set of lights at a time. However, I can't make it through 24 hours without turning on the generator to recharge. It is even worse if I need to use the heat - again, I use propane heat but I realize it uses electric to monitor the temp. I can run the generator at night and before I go to bed check the monitor and see that the charge is full. However, depending how cold it is, I often can't make it through a full night before my charge is down to nill. I took the trailer in for service and they ran a full set of tests and said everything looks normal. Wondering what is standard for most LQs? I do endurance rides where there is rarely electric hookup and try to keep my generator use to a minimum.

Check to see if there is a moisture control switch in the door jamb of the fridge or freezer. They draw a fair amount of juice. When I shut mine off my battery lasts much longer and I have not seen any condensation.

PaulChristenson
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2010-09-26 2:52 PM (#125231 - in reply to #125057)

Expert

Originally written by kcrazzmatazz on 2010-09-20 2:03 PM

I'm having an issue with my trailer - it seems like my batteries aren't holding a charge. I run my fridge on propane (although I know it also uses a small amount of electric) and am careful to only turn on the water pump specifically when it is used, and always turn off my lights when not used - and only use one set of lights at a time. However, I can't make it through 24 hours without turning on the generator to recharge. It is even worse if I need to use the heat - again, I use propane heat but I realize it uses electric to monitor the temp. I can run the generator at night and before I go to bed check the monitor and see that the charge is full. However, depending how cold it is, I often can't make it through a full night before my charge is down to nill.
I took the trailer in for service and they ran a full set of tests and said everything looks normal. Wondering what is standard for most LQs? I do endurance rides where there is rarely electric hookup and try to keep my generator use to a minimum.

Check to see if there is a parasitic load on your batteries...

http://jgdarden.com/batteryfaq/carfaq10.htm
Jeepplr
Reg. Oct 2007
Posted 2010-09-27 5:24 AM (#125238 - in reply to #125057)

Veteran

How old are your batteries? 

It could be that they are just old and in need or replacement.  If you can get 5 years out of batteries you are doing good, any more you are on borrowed time.

kcrazzmatazz
Reg. Feb 2010
Posted 2010-09-28 9:24 AM (#125275 - in reply to #125057)

The batteries are less than 2 years old, as the trailer is a 2009 model. I brought in for service to have them test it, and they tested the batteries and the appliances and said everything was running normally. That leads me to believe I need higher quality batteries. Almost all my camping is primitive, and I am sick of constantly firing up the generator for the sole purpose of charging up the batteries when I'm only camping for a weekend.
sdlepalpm
Reg. Nov 2008
Posted 2010-09-29 10:18 PM (#125334 - in reply to #125275)

Veteran

Our LQ trailer is a 2004 and we  have replaced the batteries for the second time back in May of this year.  Our monitors kept going off and the generator could not keep it going.  We suspected low batteries and took them out (what a job!) and had them tested before going on the next trip.  Autozone said they were good.  Next trip out same thing, so we went and bought two new hd batteries.  No more problems.  When they are charging good there is no problem running the heater.  Our "bad" batteries are still good, just not enough in them to run the camper.
BlazingCreekBar
Reg. Nov 2008
Posted 2010-10-02 9:52 AM (#125390 - in reply to #125057)

Extreme Veteran

Deep Cycle batteries require significant charging time in between usage.  You also need to know your type battery and age limits for the battery (each model can be different)  2 years may be close to EOL with poor charging habits.

See the bottom of this link for charging times.

http://www.progressivedyn.com/prod_details/charge_wizard.html

Check your water levels at the beginning of every season. Use the purple cap water (distilled) from Walmart.

Make sure you have a sufficient charging system, most LQs may not have a staged approach which protects the batteries as you can read in the above link.

I leave my batteries plugged in all the time as I am aware I have a protected charging system.

Edited by BlazingCreekBar 2010-10-02 9:55 AM