Advice on finding the right Trailer w/ LQ
Vita
Reg. Aug 2010
Posted 2010-09-03 12:54 PM (#124357)
Subject: Advice on finding the right Trailer w/ LQ

I'm too old to tent it any longer so am searching for a goose neck with living quarters. What I really want is way out of my price range to have made, and doesn't exist new or used -- would like the equivalent of a 3H, but only have 2H and the third stall would cut in half so one half could be part of the bathroom in the LQ and the other half a midtack. I am finding out there are all sorts of brands out there I had never heard of. One being sold not to far from me is a Blue Ribbon. Does anyone have any experience with them? Also wondering how Lakota and Merhow compare with others. If I were to purchase something from a faraway location via online and have it delivered, not sure how easy it would be to handle any warranty issues or problems that may come up at first -- anyone have good or bad stories? Also notice that some have a single battery and propane, and some have two each -- if you go horse camping for a week is just one enough? Thanks for any advice/info you can provide.
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
farmbabe
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2010-09-03 3:06 PM (#124361 - in reply to #124357)
Subject: RE: Advice on finding the right Trailer w/ LQ

Expert

I cannot answer to the trailer make question...I have found there isn't one make that is "better" than others. Some have some higher quality items and features but then again you end up paying more for that. You need to figure out what you NEED in the way of features and comforts and what you WANT...two different things. The needs for me were-refrigerator,table,sink and microwave. I usually stay at show/fairgrounds and didn't need shower/toilet. I don't use propane and certainly don't rough it. My trailer reflected those needs and there were a few wants thrown in-AC, midtack,cabinets and storage. Some people want more than that. If you are going camping, you'll need a trailer that can run on propane and has facilties for shower/toliet. Some people want all this regardless where they stay or how long. My budget ( 5 yrs ago) was 20K and after searching sites and dealer ads, I found it however if I wanted the full LQ it would have been very difficult to find a good used trailer at that price range. Figure out much you can afford then buy as much trailer as you can.
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2010-09-03 3:39 PM (#124362 - in reply to #124357)

Expert

There are many ways to build a trailer, and many materials with which to use. I know a little about Blue Ribbon and would recommend their products to my best friend. Each of their trailers are custom built to your specifications, with many options available. Quality materials and construction techniques are included in every unit.

Pictures speak loudly, here's a review of their business:

http://www.horsetrailerworld.com/forum/thread-view.asp?threadid=13677&posts=1

Goodlittlevoodoo
Reg. Sep 2010
Posted 2010-09-03 7:05 PM (#124364 - in reply to #124357)

I am with you on the tent camping!We have some high wind, it's like sand injected into my everything! I am doing just what you are. Hoping to stay local, aluminum, on a budget, and not getting taken for a ride! No pun intended. We have 2 Horses, but I know I need a 3H, with a first stall stud gate, an escape door( putting in a saddle rack, buckets, etc.. I will use it like a midtack, but convert back for friend's hauling/emergencies)I also need collapsible rear tack. A Horse access door would be nice. Short wall long/floor enough for a cot or sleeping bag.....4ft SW, 6ft SW? 8ft SW might be too big.Microwave,fridge, sink at minimum.I found a used Kiefer Built, it seems a little too cheap to be true, but it's from a reputable dealer. Do these trailers have known quirks? What should I ask about? Roof leaks? How does it pull? warranty? brakes?Even if I ask all of this, they could snow me over, and I would have no idea!Help.I need advice from a veteran trailer person. Better yet, a Kiefer Built owner!thxGG
kentuckyrain
Reg. Apr 2008
Posted 2010-09-03 10:25 PM (#124371 - in reply to #124364)

Not only do you need to think about your budget for a trailer, you also need to consider exactly how much trailer your current tow vehicle can handle or you may find that your new comfortable camping arrangement can't be safely towed to the campsite! If all those bells and whistles are outside your budget, visit the topic about low tech camping on this forum! Oh and good luck and have fun with the trailer search......
Jeepplr
Reg. Oct 2007
Posted 2010-09-04 12:33 AM (#124375 - in reply to #124357)

Veteran

A few things I learned while shopping for a trailer are:

Water tanks, fresh, black and gray can never be too large.

Even the largest refrigerator does not hold enough.

The ceiling in the bunk area can never be too high.  Think of the smoke detector going off in the middle of the night.

Storage is at a premium. 

Make sure you can turn around in the shower with the door closed.

Blinds on all the windows are necessary otherwise you camping buddies are going to know you very well.

Blackout curtains on the windows in the bunk area and a curtain at the foot of the bed is needed if sleeping past sunrise is desired.

Two sinks in the kitchen are better than one, it is difficult to wash and rinse dishes with only one sink.

If back woods camping without plugins or a generator your microwave will be useless so plan on cooking.  Make sure you have enough burners to cook the size meals you need.  I am pressed to make a full meal with only 2 burners and no oven that my wife and daughter will eat. 

Since you plan on spending time in the trailer at night, go to the dealership and look at it in the dark to determine if the lighting will be bright enough for you.

For your questions, my experience has been that a week of boon docking can drain both of our batteries.  So my guess is that one battery is not enough.  We go out for a big two and a half week trip every year in late July to Colorado.  Running the fridge, hot water for showers and dishes and running the heat in Colorado we have never gone through and entire propane tank, so one should get you by. 

Your question about trailer manufactures I can only address one manufacture by saying that I am a very satisfied Lakota owner.  Just check for post back in 2008 by Jeepplr, me, to see how well they treated me.  

A trailer shopping opportunity is about to take place.  The Ohio Quarter Horse Associations Quarter Horse Congress in Columbus, Ohio will have lots of new trailers and manufactures will be there to answer question from October 1-24, 2010.

Goodlittlevoodoo
Reg. Sep 2010
Posted 2010-09-04 10:03 AM (#124391 - in reply to #124357)

Great info thanks. I suppose going to a dealership and spending some time testing different size LQ is a good start. I know what I need to do.
retento
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2010-09-04 1:48 PM (#124396 - in reply to #124357)

Expert

We've been looking a LQ trailers and we've narrowed it down to about five dozen or so different trailers in about 23 states....... So deciding on which trailer is becoming easier each day, decding how many of these, $$$$$$$$ that I want to spend has become the really hard part....

Goodlittlevoodoo
Reg. Sep 2010
Posted 2010-09-04 2:37 PM (#124397 - in reply to #124396)

That's about right, 10 trailers in 3 states,and a day's drive to get there look at each.Maybe the flight to the Ohio Quarter Horse and trailer show would be more efficient!
retento
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2010-09-04 3:14 PM (#124398 - in reply to #124397)

Expert

Originally written by Goodlittlevoodoo on 2010-09-04 3:37 PM

That's about right, 10 trailers in 3 states,and a day's drive to get there look at each.Maybe the flight to the Ohio Quarter Horse and trailer show would be more efficient!

LOL!! By the time I get my gas card statement at the end of the month, It'll look like I've already bought a trailer!!!

kentuckyrain
Reg. Apr 2008
Posted 2010-09-04 7:09 PM (#124404 - in reply to #124398)

Vita, perhaps this is what you are looking for?http://www.horsetrailerworld.com/home/trailerdetail.asp?ID=270910
Appy Girl
Reg. Aug 2010
Posted 2010-09-07 9:51 AM (#124488 - in reply to #124364)

Hi Goodlittlevoodoo,

I just purchased a used Xpress trailer, I love it. Go to the web site,

http://www.xpresstrailergroup.com/subs/deluxe_advantage.html

they are located in Hemet, Ca and the guy who answers the phone is very helpful.....You can order a new one with an eight week lead time or search around for a used one. There is one currenlty located in Poway (if it is not sold) the price is right and I was going to look at it but I had my heart set on an eight foot wide trailer and Poway trailer is only seven foot wide with mangers, my horses would be cramped plus that foot make the LQ area so much more roomier. I love that the stove top is sunken and the counter top when closed is all one level....tons of closets and cupbourds. I can't even fill them all (yet)...LOL I did keep my 3 horse goose neck Trails West for a run around town trailer because I think the LQ is going to be a little hard to get in and out of some places like the Chiro, Vet, small venue's etc.....

We just spent the weekend at Caspers Wilderness Park of off HWY 74 and had a great time horse camping!!

Feel free to contact me for my humble opinion on what a trailer should have and what makes things comfortable for human and horse.....

Christy

Goodlittlevoodoo
Reg. Sep 2010
Posted 2010-09-07 10:20 AM (#124489 - in reply to #124357)

Hey,This is good news. Up to now, I have been avoiding looking at these because they are steel. I sold my Old Logan, because the sight of rust made me crazy! Anyway, I think I saw that trailer from Poway, I believe it's on consignment in Norco! I will look online again too. As for Express Trailers..I know he deals in Express, Bison, Kiefers, but they do all Express LQs installed right? I looked at a nice used Kiefer, but wanted aluminum, and then I was told their aluminum was extremely heavy, and to be careful. I need to double check that.Did you get an escape door, a horse access door, and g sitting up/head clearance in the bunk area?thx for the post!
horsecamper
Reg. Sep 2008
Posted 2010-09-07 11:10 AM (#124492 - in reply to #124357)

Veteran

Vita, Jeepir just about nailed it. I second all of his info, plus add a little. On my camping list I had, in addition to Jeepirs stuff, a propane cooktop and propane heater (furnace). You will want two batteries. Also, a hayrack is nice for hauling hay, additional water, lawn chairs, etc. If you are going to be out for a whole week, you will proably need a means to charge up your batteries, like a little generator. You are luck that you are in the midwest. The best buys out there are the used trailers. You are lucky that you live in the midwest, there are many very good high end used trailers that are priced right and have seen little use.
Appy Girl
Reg. Aug 2010
Posted 2010-09-08 1:45 PM (#124593 - in reply to #124489)

As I understand it the frame is steel, the floor in the LQ is Alum and the rest of  the trailer is Alum....Ours weighs 9400 lbs total with 1400 lb being tongue weight. It is 35' Overall with a 27' floor length. I don't see the Poway trailer listed any more. But I might still have the advert. at home...... I have an excape door, Rear Tack, plenty of room in the bunk for my head, and I love the passage door from the Bathroom to the horse area. Oh and a stud wall was on my list as well. We only haul two horses camping so our gear that normally would have gone in the back of the truck is now in the first stall......It has lots of little nice things.....

Ramona Trailer Gal
Reg. Nov 2005
Posted 2010-09-08 2:13 PM (#124596 - in reply to #124489)

Goodlittlevoodo,

Just saw your comments regarding looking for trailers. Based on the models you are looking at, you might want to consider some of the brands we sell here. We have been a dealer on Horse Trailer World for some years now. Bison is one of the brands we sell and will probably be in your price range. If one of the models we have in stock is not to your liking, you can order a trailer to meet your needs. The dealership is in Ramona, about an hour from you. If you are interested, just call our toll-free number: 888-809-8887.

Edited by Ramona Trailer Gal 2010-09-08 2:17 PM
laurie
Reg. Jun 2004
Posted 2010-09-08 5:49 PM (#124604 - in reply to #124364)

Extreme Veteran

Originally written by Goodlittlevoodoo on 2010-09-03 7:05 PM

I am with you on the tent camping!We have some high wind, it's like sand injected into my everything! I am doing just what you are. Hoping to stay local, aluminum, on a budget, and not getting taken for a ride! No pun intended. We have 2 Horses, but I know I need a 3H, with a first stall stud gate, an escape door( putting in a saddle rack, buckets, etc.. I will use it like a midtack, but convert back for friend's hauling/emergencies)I also need collapsible rear tack. A Horse access door would be nice. Short wall long/floor enough for a cot or sleeping bag.....4ft SW, 6ft SW? 8ft SW might be too big.Microwave,fridge, sink at minimum.I found a used Kiefer Built, it seems a little too cheap to be true, but it's from a reputable dealer. Do these trailers have known quirks? What should I ask about? Roof leaks? How does it pull? warranty? brakes?Even if I ask all of this, they could snow me over, and I would have no idea!Help.I need advice from a veteran trailer person. Better yet, a Kiefer Built owner!thxGG
You should be able to look and see if the roof leaks. I would look on top for obvious cracks in sealant and inside for water stains. I would also pull a trailer before I buy it and a mechanic could check the brakes. Kiefers are sturdy trailers
Goodlittlevoodoo
Reg. Sep 2010
Posted 2010-09-08 10:51 PM (#124623 - in reply to #124357)

So do any of you have a rough idea what the average 3H aluminum weekender would weigh? What's too heavy for an aluminum trailer with a 4 1/2 foot SW? Obviously stay under GVR when loaded....Any opinion on Kiefer Genesis trailers?thanks everyone...
PHENOM
Reg. Sep 2010
Posted 2010-09-09 4:03 PM (#124654 - in reply to #124357)

New User

I see you're also in MN.  Contact Denny at www.dennystrailersales.com and tell him what you want, and he'll find it. Ask for Denny, NOT Sean, he never relays messages!
Goodlittlevoodoo
Reg. Sep 2010
Posted 2010-09-09 5:11 PM (#124658 - in reply to #124357)

I am in California. Its about 5 hours to the nearest Keifer Built dealer. I am trying to find something closer, and hopefully used.
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2010-09-09 5:32 PM (#124660 - in reply to #124623)

Expert

Originally written by Goodlittlevoodoo on 2010-09-08 11:51 PM

So do any of you have a rough idea what the average 3H aluminum weekender would weigh? What's too heavy for an aluminum trailer with a 4 1/2 foot SW?

Exiss Event 3h, 4' short wall weekender LQ, 18' box, 7' goose ~5500#

Goodlittlevoodoo
Reg. Sep 2010
Posted 2010-09-09 6:59 PM (#124663 - in reply to #124357)

So this 2006 Kiefer 3H Genesis with a 4 1/2 SW and LQ installed weighs 7200#:add 3 horses, hay, tack and other gear, and that will brush right up the max tow weight for a Ford F350. Holy Cow.The Exiss weighs a whole lot less.
Ramona Trailer Gal
Reg. Nov 2005
Posted 2010-09-09 8:09 PM (#124668 - in reply to #124663)

In California, if the trailer has a GVWR of 10,000# or more (VIN sticker on the trailer), you will need a non-commercial class A license. They are currently pulling people over and writing tickets and/or impounding the trailer. If you have horses in the trailer at the time, you will be required to have someone to come and take them out of your trailer if it is impounded. It's a lot harder to get a new VIN sticker with lower GVWR on a used trailer. If you have any questions, we can answer them.
lesliemal
Reg. Sep 2007
Posted 2010-09-09 11:00 PM (#124674 - in reply to #124357)

Extreme Veteran

What are you thinking is the max tow weight for your F350? SRW or DRW? 4X4?
Goodlittlevoodoo
Reg. Sep 2010
Posted 2010-09-10 12:09 AM (#124676 - in reply to #124357)

It's a 4x4 and I believe it is 10,000 or 11,000lbs. I need to dbl check to be sure.
lesliemal
Reg. Sep 2007
Posted 2010-09-10 6:50 AM (#124678 - in reply to #124357)

Extreme Veteran

I have an 2002 F350 crew cab DRW 4X4 with 7.3L diesel. According to the manual, the max trailer weight is 12,800. (fifth wheel towing same as gooseneck)
retento
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2010-09-10 7:05 AM (#124679 - in reply to #124678)

Expert

Originally written by lesliemal on 2010-09-10 7:50 AM

I have an 2002 F350 crew cab DRW 4X4 with 7.3L diesel. According to the manual, the max trailer weight is 12,800. (fifth wheel towing same as gooseneck)

That 12800# sure seems mighty light.... I got a 2001 3500 Cheverolet, DRW, 4x4, ext. cab with a 8.1 gas, Allison automatic with 4.10 gears and it's rated at 15100# for a gooseneck/fifthwheel.

2002 tow ratings... http://www.trailmanor.com/WebDocs/Camping-Towing/TowRatingPDF/2002.pdf

lesliemal
Reg. Sep 2007
Posted 2010-09-10 7:24 AM (#124680 - in reply to #124357)

Extreme Veteran

Yeah I thought it was "mighty light" too but that is what the manual states. I double and triple checked to be sure cause I did not think it was right. F350 Crew Cab Dual Rear Wheel 4X4 Automatic and fifth wheel: Engine:7.3L--Rear Axle Ratio:ALL-- Maximum GCWR KG(LBS) 9072 (20,000) Maximum trailer weight kg(lbs) 5806 (12,800) Straight from the manual. Go figure. No matter, I still LOVE my truck.

Edited by lesliemal 2010-09-10 7:26 AM
Phoresic
Reg. May 2010
Posted 2010-09-10 8:52 AM (#124684 - in reply to #124623)

Extreme Veteran

Originally written by Goodlittlevoodoo on 2010-09-08 10:51 PM

So do any of you have a rough idea what the average 3H aluminum weekender would weigh? What's too heavy for an aluminum trailer with a 4 1/2 foot SW? Obviously stay under GVR when loaded......

My 18 foot box, 4 foot short wall, 3-horse slant without week end package installed, steel gooseneck trailer weighed 5,680 pounds when I purchased it.  I had it weighed to get the license plate so this was the actual weight at that time.

nobodyimportant
Reg. Jan 2010
Posted 2010-09-10 9:03 AM (#124685 - in reply to #124357)

Veteran

http://www.trailerlife.com/images/downloads/02towingguide.pdf

http://www.trailerlife.com/images/downloads/03towingguide.pdf

This should help you figure out what your truck can tow.

gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2010-09-10 9:21 AM (#124687 - in reply to #124684)

Expert

My 18 foot box, 4 foot short wall, 3-horse slant without week end package installed, steel gooseneck trailer weighed 5,680 pounds when I purchased it.  I had it weighed to get the license plate so this was the actual weight at that time.

I guess this disputes one of the claims by steel tailer manufacturers, that their trailers are as light as an aluminum.

Edited by gard 2010-09-10 9:22 AM
retento
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2010-09-10 9:45 AM (#124689 - in reply to #124687)

Expert

Originally written by gard on 2010-09-10 10:21 AM

I guess this disputes one of the claims by steel tailer manufacturers, that their trailers are as light as an aluminum.

How much you reckon that weekender LQ adds to that Exiss trailer's weight...??

Phoresic
Reg. May 2010
Posted 2010-09-10 10:01 AM (#124690 - in reply to #124689)

Extreme Veteran

Originally written by retento on 2010-09-10 9:45 AM

Originally written by gard on 2010-09-10 10:21 AM

How much you reckon that weekender LQ adds to that Exiss trailer's weight...??

All weekend packages are not the same so it's hard to guess.  When I get mine finished, I will weigh it but it will be a homemade one, so isn't necessarily relevant. 

But even the steel to aluminum on trailers is a bit of apples to oranges unless you are careful.  Mine is old - 1999.  When I took the spare off, I'd swear that half that weight was in the one steel rim and tire lol. When it was weighed it only had the mats, carpeting, spare tire and collapsible rear tack with saddle rack included. But then there are so many other variables. 

gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2010-09-10 10:21 AM (#124692 - in reply to #124357)

Expert

A coupe of years ago, we built a full weekender LQ for a friend that had purchased the same trailer as mine, minus the LQ. Mine with a Sierra interior is fairly complete, full bathroom with seperate shower, full galley, fridge, water heater, air and many cabinets. I have two holding tanks and a full water system. My trailer weighs ~5500#s.

My friend's trailer weighed ~4800#s empty. We installed basically the same interior as mine in his with two exceptions: one black water tank, no grey, and a cowboy shower in the first stall, instead of the bathroom. The bathroom shower was substituted with a storage cabinet. His final weight is now almost identical to mine, in spite of some construction and material differences.

The final answer, about 700#s for a modest 4' weekender LQ.

Edited by gard 2010-09-10 10:24 AM
Goodlittlevoodoo
Reg. Sep 2010
Posted 2010-09-10 10:26 AM (#124693 - in reply to #124357)

That's a good number and safe to round up a bit. The Kiefer Built is good looking, but truck shopping is not an option I want to ad to this search. I may go Exiss, with a few cabinets, and call it done!
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2010-09-10 10:41 AM (#124695 - in reply to #124357)

Expert

http://www.horsetrailerworld.com/home/trailerdetail.asp?ID=266056

Edited by gard 2010-09-10 10:43 AM
Phoresic
Reg. May 2010
Posted 2010-09-10 11:05 AM (#124699 - in reply to #124357)

Extreme Veteran

For a four foot space, I don't think anyone would call yours "modest" :)  It's pretty premium, really.

I don't think mine will weigh anywhere near that much, but that's a homemade one. 

I'd bet that the Exiss weekend package doesn't weigh as much as your, but that's a guess.

The steel is definitely 10 percent heavier than the Exiss - maybe a little more.

gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2010-09-10 11:16 AM (#124700 - in reply to #124357)

Expert

http://www.horsetrailerworld.com/home/trailerdetail.asp?ID=274007
Goodlittlevoodoo
Reg. Sep 2010
Posted 2010-09-11 11:48 AM (#124745 - in reply to #124357)

Alright, I think I have found my trailer.2006 Exiss Sport w/7ft shortwall. It has all the doors I need, in the right places. It has all the amenities I am looking for.Queen size bed, Sink, Stove, Microwave, Refrigerator, Toilet, Shower, AM/ FM Radio/CD player, TV Shelf/Cabinet, Kitchen Cabinets, Fold-out sofa, Clothing closets, A/C and Furnace, Systems Monitor, water hookup, Walk-through door to horse department, Exterior Lights.I think the only thing this has that will be trouble is the Electric Jack. I keep my trailer at a ranch, running it to a generator to hitch it would be a hassle.Can this be changed out to a standard? Or is it the opposite that can be done?I am so excited!?
flyinghfarm
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2010-09-11 12:24 PM (#124747 - in reply to #124357)

Expert

our Exiss with electric jack, runs off the trailer battery........so no 110, or generator needed to use the electric jack........just batteries that are charged..  The one you are looking at is surely the same....
Goodlittlevoodoo
Reg. Sep 2010
Posted 2010-09-11 12:40 PM (#124749 - in reply to #124357)

The gal said if you unhook it while camping, you need to charge it, or run it on a generator to get it hitched. She did mention that it only has one battery, most of the exiss trailer have two from what I have seen. It seems like a simple solution to add another battery. I am such a newbie, everything is an unknown to me!
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2010-09-11 3:31 PM (#124758 - in reply to #124745)

Expert

Originally written by Goodlittlevoodoo on 2010-09-11 12:48 PM

Alright, I think I have found my trailer.2006 Exiss Sport w/7ft shortwall. It has all the doors I need, in the right places. It has all the amenities I am looking for. I am so excited!?

This model has a lot of features for its price. If you shop around on HTW and other sites on the internet, you'll find that dealers are quite price competitive this time of the year for in stock units. It might be worth your time to call a few.

Exiss has been making these models for several years now, and there is a supply of used ones available. Many of your mentioned features are standard with both the trailer and Sierra interiors, allowing you to find several for sale, and again, shop for prices.

BOL

Goodlittlevoodoo
Reg. Sep 2010
Posted 2010-09-12 10:51 PM (#124807 - in reply to #124357)

Well, I came home with the trailer last night. It turned out to be an '05 3H Sport with the 7ft LQ.Love it... It's not as quite as fancy as some of the upgraded interiors I have seen, but it is very nice and has pretty wood thank goodness, and is the Rose Interiors. This is a huge jump for us, we had a Logan Bumper pull! Yes mangers would be nice, but I need to work my way up here!I spent the day detailing it, plenty more to do tomorrow. The awning is dirty at the fully closed position. It needs a few little parts,(back tack door hold open pin) and one cracked vent outside but it's in really nice shape.We usually use those professional choice fun print hay bags, but I am thinking some basic black ones would be nice, any recommendations for a good fit?Thanks for the guidance!
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2010-09-13 8:23 AM (#124811 - in reply to #124357)

Expert

Congratulations. We wish you many happy miles