bathrooms
Phoresic
Reg. May 2010
Posted 2010-08-19 1:12 PM (#123773)
Subject: bathrooms

Extreme Veteran

I've spent time and designed my weekend package which I intend to install this winter.  I know where everything is going and roughly how to do it all.  I have a few details to work out but that just has to do with running the 12v, the 120 and the lp.

The one thing that remains is really what to do for a toilet.  Do I install a permanent toilet with black water tank? Do I use a flushable portable toilet in its own little room? Which one?  Do I just use one of the backpacking type toilets placed in the horse area (no walk through door)?

I'm stymied on this one.  How convenient/clean is the emptying of permanent toilets relative to the porta potties? How difficult is the installation? 

An added consideration is that my barn doesn't have a bathroom, and it isn't like to have a real toilet because of the high water table.  So, if I were to put in a nice bathroom, would it be feasible to use it as a lightly used bathroom for use at the barn? 

My problem is that I do want something that is easy and clean to empty and doesn't smell.

If it could function as a bathroom for the barn (very limited use as the barn isn't that far from the house, but far enough that it's aggravating), then some additional cost is definitely warranted. But then there is the freezing issue in winter.

Any thoughts?

I do have a space in the trailer that would be separate from the shower.

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
LopeEmSlo
Reg. May 2009
Posted 2010-08-19 2:27 PM (#123777 - in reply to #123773)
Subject: RE: bathrooms

After using both types, I'm more inclined to install an actual toilet in a trailer. However, we have a RV dump station at our house, so it's not an inconvienence to dump a trailer at the end of the weekend. Handling a portible potty just isn't something that I like to do, attaching a hose with a hydroflush to an opening and having it all contained in a tank, makes it so much easier.

An option would be to use the same tank for both the shower and toilet. We did this in our smaller 4H and it works perfectly. However, we did also install a valve that would let the shower water drain directly onto the ground if need be. After realizing how little we fill the tanks in a short weekend, we decided just to purchase one tank and use it for both items. Our RV dealer said two tanks (grey/black) were installed for convienence, but not as a necessary item.

That being said, our much larger trailer that we travel far with has two tanks and I wouldn't go any other way on that trailer.  

Phoresic
Reg. May 2010
Posted 2010-08-19 3:23 PM (#123786 - in reply to #123773)

Extreme Veteran

Thank you.  That is very helpful.  I was going to have the shower with an option of a portable tank or to directly flow onto the ground. 

So, it seems from your post that it's a lot easier to empty a permanently installed toilet than a porta pottie.  That's very helpful to know.

cutter99
Reg. Sep 2007
Posted 2010-08-19 8:58 PM (#123809 - in reply to #123773)

Extreme Veteran

We bought a living quarters trailer earlier this year and I am amazed (and very pleased) at how easy it is to empty our holding tanks. We camped at a camp grounds that had a nice pull through at te dump station and it was as simple as attaching the hose, putting the hose into the pipe and opening the valve to empty the tanks. We empty the black tank first and then the gray to clean out the hose.

With 2 of us, it took 5 days to fill both tanks and that did include washing dishes as well as showering and the toilet. I had a living quarters trailer a few years back and didn't remember it being that easy!  

Phoresic
Reg. May 2010
Posted 2010-08-19 9:59 PM (#123819 - in reply to #123773)

Extreme Veteran

Thank you.  That is great information.
blackcows
Reg. Mar 2010
Posted 2010-08-20 6:11 AM (#123832 - in reply to #123773)

Extreme Veteran

I purchased a used LQ trailer earlier in the year and have had it to many day shows over the summer.  I had read how important it was empty the toliets after each use and lets just say I didn't always get that done, sometimes I went three weeks between a dump and never had a problem with smell.  Each weekend I would add another pack of the toliet stuff (probably not the tech term :) ) before leaving for the day and no problems.
retento
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2010-08-20 7:27 AM (#123840 - in reply to #123809)

Expert

Originally written by cutter99 on 2010-08-19 9:58 PM

We bought a living quarters trailer earlier this year and I am amazed (and very pleased) at how easy it is to empty our holding tanks. We camped at a camp grounds that had a nice pull through at te dump station and it was as simple as attaching the hose, putting the hose into the pipe and opening the valve to empty the tanks. We empty the black tank first and then the gray to clean out the hose.

With 2 of us, it took 5 days to fill both tanks and that did include washing dishes as well as showering and the toilet. I had a living quarters trailer a few years back and didn't remember it being that easy!  

What size are your tanks, how many gallons does each one hold?

Cowgirl-h
Reg. Feb 2010
Posted 2010-08-20 9:38 AM (#123843 - in reply to #123773)

Regular

I have a holiday trailer with a proper RV toilet, and a grey and black water holding tank. I also have a weekend package in my horse trailer, and there I have a portable toilet and no holding tanks. Which do I prefer? Well, they both have advantages and disadvantages.

When we take our holiday trailer we are normally camping as a family, and a portable toilet would be less than ideal with two to four of us using it regularily. Also, when we camp we eat full meals three times a day and go through quite a bit of water by the time we wash dishes, our hands regularily, use the bathroom and occasionally shower. I would not want a holiday trailer without a toilet and holding tanks. In most cases we hook into power when camping, but occasionally we do "rough camp", getting by with our batteries and propane to run everything.

But our use of the horse trailer is different than our holiday trailer. In my case, I almost exclusively use the weekend package in my horse trailer at weekend long shows. In these cases I am always parked besides a show barn, so I always have access to power, bathrooms nearby and showers. Often I am alone all or part of the weekend. Our weekend package has a microwave and bar fridge only, so meals are very simple. I'll eat toast, cereal and yogurt for breakfast, a sandwich and snacks for dinner (or get something from the concession stand) and for a late supper I'll heat up a frozen meal, such as something from Michalina's, or else eat out. I use paper plates, paper towels, disposable cups and utensils as much as possible. By doing this I don't need a real sink and holding tank, instead I get by with two dishpans. I actually prefer a dishpan to emptying a small sink onto the pavement. I can carry the dishpan and put the water where it won't bother anyone - either onto long grass, or into a bucket which I can dump in the nearest bathroom.

I keep my portable toilet in a specific cupboard, along with my other toiletries, towels, etc (they are seperated so the portable toilet doesn't contaminate any food or personal belongings) I try to use the show barn's bathrooms as much as possible in the day, but i do like my toilet out at night, and I'll use it in the day when I'm in a huge rush between classes - don't like to take the time to run into the barn as I change from Western clothes to English. The portable toilet works perfectly in these situations. It never has smelled, even when I've used it for four days in a row. It has "flush" capabilities with its water holding tank, and the bottom holding tank is air tight. I use the same chemical in it that I use in my RV's holding tank, seems to really make a difference. When I get home I simply disassemble the portable toilet, dump the contents out into a nearby field, and rinse it with water. This proceedure is somewhat less pleasant than using the RV dump station with a real toilet, but really not a big deal. It would be much more nasty if 4 people used the portable toilet exclusively for a weekend, but with just one or two of us using it only a few times it never gets too full.

We chose to avoid putting holding tanks into our already established horse trailer to avoid the costs and complications of installing everything. I don't regret our choice - it takes no longer to set up or empty the portable toilet than the regular toilet.

I'm not sure if either option will make you happy if you choose to use your bathroom in your trailer in the winter. I can tell you - you're going to have alot of shavings, mud and manure tracked into your trailer if you use it as a bathroom! Plus, both types of toilets require regular dumping, and they can't take freezing weather. If it is only you using it in the winter, it might be okay, but if you have boarders, kids, or visitors that will use it regularily I'd discourage it. Nothing worse than messing up or wrecking your whole trailer just to have use of the bathroom! Plus, everyone is going to want to wash their hands after using the toilet, so you'll have to fill and empty that tank, too. And towels, everyone will need to dry their hands! Sounds like a nuicanse to me.

Good luck with your options, i think either will work fine, depending upon your situation.

Phoresic
Reg. May 2010
Posted 2010-08-20 9:57 AM (#123844 - in reply to #123773)

Extreme Veteran

Phoresic
Reg. May 2010
Posted 2010-08-20 10:09 AM (#123845 - in reply to #123773)

Extreme Veteran

Thanks for the detailed information. 

As for the winter barn/shop use, it would just be me on pretty limited occasions and there are other places to wash hands.   If we need more than that, I thought I'd just rent one of the portable standing toilet units that they rent, empty and clean. The only thing that the barn really can't have is a toilet as the water table would make a real septic system not feasible. 
We've added a workshop to the barn so it may be that renting a portable bathroom will be a good idea - my first thought on this barn was to buy a travel trailer specifically to have a bathroom there. But this is all a whole different problem than the trailer really.  I think if it would otherwise work ok, the winter freezing would be just too much... probably.

I think I'll look into how difficult it is to put a regular toilet into the trailer, as this is a diy.  It will all have limited use, as I agree that if there is a bathroom handy, it's more convenient to use it.

Thanks!

Phoresic
Reg. May 2010
Posted 2010-08-20 11:51 AM (#123852 - in reply to #123773)

Extreme Veteran

If I were to go with a porta potty, what features would I look for when my concern is ease of emptying and cleaning?
retento
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2010-08-20 12:36 PM (#123856 - in reply to #123852)

Expert

Originally written by Phoresic on 2010-08-20 12:51 PM

If I were to go with a porta potty, what features would I look for when my concern is ease of emptying and cleaning?

It doesn't get much simpler than this one.....

http://www0.epinions.com/specs/Coleman_Portable_Toilet_827B802T

The bowl and fresh tank seperates from the waste tank, Waste tank holds less that three gallons. Big cap screws off, empty, rinse, add a little RV tank deoderizer/sanitizer and your good for the next round. When I get home from a week trip, I'll rinse the tank with a shot of Clorox bleach and rinse several more time with clear water.... Some say that Pine Sol will break down/mess up/melt/eat a hole in your holding tank, but I'll put about a cap full of Pine Sol in the holding tank with a cup of water and shake it well before reassembling the toilet. Tank is still in good shape and it doesn't smell like a ^*#% next time you're ready to use it!!! Just follow the Mfg.'s instructions that are in the box with the new toilet.

Edited by retento 2010-08-20 12:37 PM
Phoresic
Reg. May 2010
Posted 2010-08-20 3:10 PM (#123859 - in reply to #123773)

Extreme Veteran

Thanks Retento.  It's really good to have a recommendation of what to buy if I go the porta potty route.

I actually do want to seriously investigate how to install a toilet.  Unless it is really complicated, I should be able to do it, I think......famous last words. 

Marla
Reg. Mar 2008
Posted 2010-08-22 11:17 PM (#123924 - in reply to #123773)

Extreme Veteran

You could always go with a waterless toilet.  They are odorless, easy to deal with, and don't use up your all-too-precious fresh water on long outings.

Marla

Phoresic
Reg. May 2010
Posted 2010-08-23 7:44 AM (#123932 - in reply to #123773)

Extreme Veteran

Phoresic
Reg. May 2010
Posted 2010-08-23 8:17 AM (#123933 - in reply to #123773)

Extreme Veteran

Thanks for the idea.  I'll look into it. 
JacciB
Reg. Nov 2006
Posted 2010-08-24 8:09 AM (#123978 - in reply to #123852)

Extreme Veteran

Originally written by Phoresic on 2010-08-20 11:51 AM

Here is a link to the one we use.  The two pieces make it very easy to handle.  The bottom part which contains the waste has an attached swivel tube to make dumping even easier.  We have had the same set of batteries in it for two years.

http://www.thetford.com/HOME/PRODUCTS/PortableToilets/PortaPotti465/tabid/166/Default.aspx

Phoresic
Reg. May 2010
Posted 2010-08-24 9:54 AM (#123983 - in reply to #123773)

Extreme Veteran

Thanks for this link. A couple of months ago I had read reviews for this one and have a question.
The review I read talked about the tube being attached and that he thought that made it a lot easier to empty. You just said the same thing.
So, can you tell me how that works? How big is the tube? Where does it go when it's not in use? Does it empty the entire "black" tank?
Thanks.
Phoresic
Reg. May 2010
Posted 2010-08-24 10:06 AM (#123985 - in reply to #123773)

Extreme Veteran

Actually, your link has a link to the owner's manual so that should really help.  Thanks again.
JacciB
Reg. Nov 2006
Posted 2010-08-25 7:28 AM (#124025 - in reply to #123983)

Extreme Veteran

The tube just swings out to the side of the tank for ease of dumping and then swings right back into place.  It does allow for complete dumping of the black water tank.
farmbabe
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2010-08-25 8:45 AM (#124030 - in reply to #123773)

Expert

I have a weekender set up and I use a porta potty. I travel alone and only for a few days at a time so holding capacity is not a issue. Cleaning and dumping is not the most pleasant task in the world but its not the worst thing I have ever done either. That being said-if I were traveling with another person(s) I would want a RV toilet set up. It just makes sense to have the ability to close the door and have the water and holding capacity for multiple users not to mention the ability to dump easily. If you need a Rv toilet then that is what you should install now rather than regret and have to try to install later.
paysonw
Reg. Aug 2010
Posted 2010-08-25 11:39 AM (#124037 - in reply to #123773)

Regular

If you go with a holding tank (and for those that have them) the best thing since sliced bread is the Sewer Solution!  I have purchased 2 of them and I can dump into my septic at home quickly and easily.  Even uphill and up to 50-60 foot from the trailer!  Dumping on the road is much better than the 3-4" hose AND you can use real TP!

I am not affiliated with SS, just a satisfied customer.  

Phoresic
Reg. May 2010
Posted 2010-08-25 10:54 PM (#124066 - in reply to #123773)

Extreme Veteran

I just wanted to say thanks for the discussion.  It has given me a llot of information and perspective on the issue.  I'm not sure what I'll do, but my analysis of the pro's and con's will be much more thorough now.

Thanks.

JacciB
Reg. Nov 2006
Posted 2010-08-26 8:04 AM (#124077 - in reply to #124037)

Extreme Veteran

Originally written by paysonw on 2010-08-25 11:39 AM

If you go with a holding tank (and for those that have them) the best thing since sliced bread is the Sewer Solution!  I have purchased 2 of them and I can dump into my septic at home quickly and easily.  Even uphill and up to 50-60 foot from the trailer!  Dumping on the road is much better than the 3-4" hose AND you can use real TP!

I am not affiliated with SS, just a satisfied customer.  

Where did you get yours?