Big horse- straight vs. slant 7'6"?
Tankerbell
Reg. Nov 2009
Posted 2010-08-18 7:15 AM (#123698)
Subject: Big horse- straight vs. slant 7'6"?

Regular

I have a 16.2 MFT with a 7'6" 2H BP straight load that he fits great in.  I am going to purchase a gooseneck, probably used 3 horse.  My concern is will he fit comfortably?  Will 6'9" -7'0" width be enough?  I really would rather not go to 8' width.  I know 7'6"H is obviously necessary.  For storage of hay, and rear tack storage etc. I'd rather go slant, but of course comfort for my guy is#1.  Any suggestions and /or experience?  Thanks for any help!

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
overoxer
Reg. Aug 2010
Posted 2010-08-18 7:26 AM (#123699 - in reply to #123698)
Subject: RE: Big horse- straight vs. slant 7'6"?

Depends on the trailer. Not all slant loads are created equal! There are several variables that will affect the roominess for your horse, particularly the angle of the slant stalls and width of the trailer. I have a big, long mare and when I went from a straight to a slant this was a major concern. She did not fit well at all into my friend's steel slant (can't remember the brand), but I ended up with a 4-Star in which she (and many other large horses) fit very comfortably. It was 7' wide and while not specifically designed for big horses, the angle of the slant stalls made it a lot roomier than many slants that I looked at.
horsecamper
Reg. Sep 2008
Posted 2010-08-18 10:54 AM (#123715 - in reply to #123698)

Veteran

Tankerbell,  Be very careful on this issue.  A goodly portion of the slants might not work well for your horse if he/she is a long horse. Like the earlier poster said, the variables are, trailer width, stall width, angle of slant. The presense of mangers might also be a problem factor. Some manufacturers on their nominal 7 wides, like Logan, make their stalls standard extra wide, or like Trails West, put a more extreme slant to make longer stall length.  Some manufacturers, like Featherlite, make a "big horse" slant trailer designed especially for bigger horses.  Also, stall size will depend on which stall your horse is in.  The rearmost stall has the most room.  One time I switched the horse order and put the gelding in the rear stall.  My long backed, wide mare was not a happy camper! Make sure that your horse fits well in the trailer prior to purchase. 
Tankerbell
Reg. Nov 2009
Posted 2010-08-18 1:35 PM (#123729 - in reply to #123698)

Regular

Wonderful info- these are the peices of wisdom that I need!  Keep 'em coming!  Thankyou!
headhunter
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2010-08-18 2:34 PM (#123730 - in reply to #123698)

Elite Veteran

I have a 7 1/2' wide Logan with mangers. Logan designs their trailers with two different positions for each divider, so you can create extra wide/long stalls in some spots. I use the first stall for hay/storage so make it a standard width stall. If hauling just my gelding, I make the middle stall of my 3 horse trailer extra wide. He's a reiner and short in length, but stout so I think the extra width is probably more comfortable. If I'm hauling two horses my gelding goes in the rear spot, so I make the middle stall standard width and the rear stall wider so I can walk him in around the rear tack. Its nice to have the flexibility in stall width.
watermarkfarm
Reg. Aug 2010
Posted 2010-08-18 4:30 PM (#123733 - in reply to #123698)

I have warmbloods and TBs and hands down feel that straight loads give them more comfort. Not only better stall length but they can move their head and neck from side to side more while riding.

However, I just ordered a custom Logan for a local horse rescue. We needed something huge that would accomodate many kinds of horses (some injured or unbroke), and we were pleased to learn that Logan could make their basic stock trailer (the Stockman) much bigger for us. We opted for a 7'6" tall and were able to pay extra to push the walls out, making it 7'9" wide inside. It makes for a very wide and versatile trailer, and even long horses seem very comfy in it on a slant.

It's the width that matters mostly on most slants. 7' is hard for a long horse. Some Logans come standard at 7'3" inside now.
Cowgirl-h
Reg. Feb 2010
Posted 2010-08-18 9:36 PM (#123745 - in reply to #123698)

Regular

I have a 15.3 hh Paint mare, not all that tall maybe, but she is quite long bodied for her size. For a few years i hauled her in my stock trailer, and obviously she fit that fine. Then last summer I bought a used 2003 Featherlite trailer, in the standard size (which I think is only 7', but without running out and double checking I'm not sure. It isn't the wide version, just the average narrower version)

This mare fits my trailer, but only when i do things right. For some reason the front stall seems the toughest for her to fit in, I'm not sure if it's actually shorter. Or if it's a tiny bit narrower, which would make it seem shorter because she's be jammed in there. She does fine in the middle stall, if I don't use a hay bag or corner manger in front of her - that takes up too much space. What I do is leave her loose and feed her off the ground when we travel. She rides really well that way, with her head in the lowered, grazing position she is shorter in length. She is also free to raise her head if she wants, or lower it again. She travels well that way, unloads and loads happily, and actually seems more relaxed there than she did in the stock trailer (maybe because the stock trailer was noisier and rougher)

My other options are to put her in the rear stall, which is bigger, and then she could easily fit without any issue. or I could always open one of the dividers and then she would have the extra width, which would help her fit better.

So there are ways to work around the issue, but i agree with your other posters. Don't buy a trailer until you've loaded your long, big mare and seen how she fits. It would be very disappointing and financially unwise to buy a trailer that won't work for you.

And I must say - the slant loads gives you so much more space for storing stuff, i do prefer them if they'll work for your horse.

loveduffy
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2010-08-19 4:56 AM (#123758 - in reply to #123698)

Expert

go for the straight load slant is a little small
PaulChristenson
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2010-08-19 9:53 PM (#123816 - in reply to #123698)

Expert

If you are a dressage rider and get into those nice big warmbloods you will want a straight load...If you get drafts...you definitely want a straight load...

Edited by PaulChristenson 2010-08-19 9:54 PM
kcrazzmatazz
Reg. Feb 2010
Posted 2010-08-20 1:13 PM (#123857 - in reply to #123698)

I've always had straight load bumper pulls but we upgraded to a LQ trailer this year and got a slant. My endurance horse is a teeny little 14.3 Arab and is a great traveler and would probably be fine in the back seat of my truck if I was so inclined. However, my husband's horse is a 17 hand TB - and he isn't just tall, he's long. Our trailer is 8 feet wide, 7'6 feet tall and he does fit in the last stall just fine. That said, if I was doing it over again, I would at least research what my options would be for a 2+1 horse area with living quarters. I really prefer the straight load regardless of horse size - much easier to check on the horses and offer water during long haul.
Tankerbell
Reg. Nov 2009
Posted 2010-08-21 7:01 AM (#123874 - in reply to #123698)

Regular

Wow- so glad I asked!  95% of the time I'll be hauling just my big boy, and he should fit ok in the last stall of properly sized slant.  However, I am now changing my tune on the slant, to perhaps straighload with mid tack.  It will be a slightly longer rig, but it will definately be easier to check on the boys during hauling (which I do at every stop), and of course they'll be more comfy. 

Thank you all!!

genebob
Reg. Nov 2007
Posted 2010-08-21 10:49 AM (#123883 - in reply to #123698)

Elite Veteran

I may not be seeing the big picture, but how is a straight load any easier to check your horses than a slant? I can just look in the window of my slant and see everything. Since we have a 3H and only haul two, I have even gone into the front stall to look at them if I want to. Just asking.
Tankerbell
Reg. Nov 2009
Posted 2010-08-21 11:11 AM (#123884 - in reply to #123698)

Regular

From my limited use of slant loads, I just think it's easier to offer water, refill hay or just give a rub with straights. No need to undo anything to access either horse. It could just be a matter of what you're used to also.