What kind of aluminum is this??? Guard??
millironk
Reg. Feb 2009
Posted 2010-07-31 1:03 PM (#123036)
Subject: What kind of aluminum is this??? Guard??

Regular

We have a 2007 bison stratus that we are very happy with.  But I am trying to find out what the aluminum (shiny skin, not white part) is.  I have gotten 2 different answers from folks that should know. (Bison headquaters itself,  and a very helpful, large trailer dealership)  One said it was anodized aluminum, and the other said it was a baked on enamel.  Maybe it is neither.   I am looking for a product to clean this part of the trailer with that will remove some water markings.  but do not want to use the wrong product. Help is appreciated.  Any comments?  Guard????
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
retento
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2010-07-31 4:04 PM (#123044 - in reply to #123036)
Subject: RE: What kind of aluminum is this??? Guard??

Expert

Bison calls this shiney aluminum "Brite-Dip" .... It looks simular to a polished surface, but then again it looks like a plated surface... I would contact Bison and talk to someone in the engineering department. Use the wrong cleaner and you may have a permanently etched surface.

Brite Dip Metal on Exterior Sides (Full or Partial)

http://www.bisontrailer.com/contact-bison.html

gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2010-07-31 6:30 PM (#123050 - in reply to #123036)

Expert

I don't believe the aluminum on your trailer is anodized. It's an expensive and time consuming process, and won't produce the high gloss found in most coatings. In the past, I've heard of the finish on a Bison being ruined, when the owner had the trailer acid washed. The acid ate through some of the coating, exposing the aluminum to air, which resulted in oxidation, discolouration etc etc. This would not have happened if the finish were anodized.

Bison, as does most builders, buys their aluminum precoated in sheets or rolls. The coatings can be urethane, polyester, acyrlic or epoxy. Some of the epoxies can be microscopcially thin and invisible to the eye. Most of the finishes are only a few millimeters thick and are oven cured at about 700 deg F. Many manufacturers purchase their products based on price, and if a sales person says I have this lot for such and such at a good price, the business will buy it, while not knowing all the particulars. It will also mean that a trailer built at a different time period, can be constructed of different materials.

All the finishes I mentioned, can be cleaned and waxed without being damaged. There are literally dozens of products you can use in this effort. Streakmaster and Metal Wax are predominately known within this forum. Many marine, aircraft and automotive products work equally as well. Any mild cleaning "polish" with a wax additive will clean and protect the finish. Do not use any aggressive rubbing compounds, or harsh chemicals to clean your trailer, including acid washings. Generally, any product that you can use on the clear coat finish of an automobile, can be used on your trailer.

I like products used in marine applications. They generally are durable, not easily degraded by UV exposure and work well in a most hostile environment. A month on the water would equal several years, of a trailer's normal exposure to environmental hazzards. A product made for fiberglass (polyester) and metal, will work well on coatings of every type. The final finishes have to be very durable for UV protection, a salt water environment and the constant abrasion of water and weather. The same holds true for aircraft products, if you are close to a FBO.

Here are some products for your consideration:

http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/userportal/search_subCategory.do?categoryName=Marine Cleaners&category=587&refine=1&page=GRID

If you can't highlite the whole link, click on "cleaners" supplies from the master list.

BOL      Gard

Edited by gard 2010-07-31 6:34 PM
RAF
Reg. Jan 2009
Posted 2010-08-02 6:48 AM (#123086 - in reply to #123036)

Regular

the finish is called brite you can clean it with regular soap and water never use acid wash or a car wash or truck wash. window cleaner works great. don't scrub to hard it will scratch. Good Luck Randy
Buddy Boy
Reg. Sep 2008
Posted 2010-08-02 8:51 PM (#123111 - in reply to #123036)

New User

To be clear, the baked on enamel is referring to the white material. Most white aluminum trailer panels are made using this process. The brite dip is an anodized product. It is used as a low cost substitute for polished stainless steel. Like stainless, acid will almost certainly ruin the "etching" that occurs in the anodizing process. Unfortunately, this material will fade and stain over time, and you will likely not be able to return it to its original polished luster.However there are plenty of products out there that will clean the material. Check out Gard's link for some of them.