Bed Liner for flooring, One more time
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2010-07-26 3:29 PM (#122800)
Subject: Bed Liner for flooring, One more time

Expert

Last week I posted some updated info on Dupli-Color bed liner products. When Retento posted a thread for a referral, things went into the electronic la la land and froze the posting. If you need more info, let me know. Here's a copy of my first posting. Hopefully it will work better.

A few years ago I posted some info about how I treated the aluminum flooring of my trailers. This year especially, many people have PM'd me asking for more information. Most of the questions are concerned with the durability of the product, the costs and the ease of its application.

I'm into my fourth year with one trailer floor coating, three on the other. The first year with the first coating, I checked the finish weekly for a month or so. After finding no deterioration or wear, I changed my inspection schedule to a monthly basis of simple flushings, whilst rolling the mats back to expose the butt side of the flooring.

Last year I didn't do any monthly flushings under the mats. After each trailer usage, the manure was swept out and if soiled, the sidewalls and mats were flushed with a garden hose. At the end of the season, armed with a power washer, I intended to remove the mats and attack the flooring surface. It wasn't necessary. A few stains on the butt side flooring were flushed clean with a hose, and the bed liner coating was again intact and undamaged.

My trailers' flooring are built of "planks" that interlock and are welded to the sub frame. The planks are extrusions, that have longitudinal ridges formed into the cross section profiles. When a mat is placed on top of these, the ridges form a channel that allows fluids to drain to the lowest part of the trailer. Both of my trailers allowed fluids to collect and puddle, at the stern most area in front of the rear doors. By drilling a series of holes across these planks, I was able to provide a path for the fluids to escape. There is no longer any collection of fluids.

The OEM mats protect the bed liner material from any physical abrasion caused by the horses. At the same time I coated our second trailer, I also coated the steel dump bed of our then new Kubota RTV. This is used daily to haul manure, concrete blocks, foilage, sand, sawdust, anything we need to carry. The liner is not protected in any way by mats, and has provided the following three years of coverage, with no failures or rusting of the bed.

The material I used for my trailers and dump bed, was Dupii-Color's "Truck Bed Coating" a vinyl polymer product. A recent while ago, Dupli-Color introduced a new product called "Bed Armor". This is a water based polyurethane bed liner product, reinforced with Kevlar materials. Like the other bed liner, it is a single part, cold applied, air dried, surfacing. Unlike the first material, this is advertised as being able to be applied to wood surfaces.

I have never used this newer material. It is a little more expensive than the first, but is advertised to be even more durable and can be used on more products. Many people have now coated their aluminum trailer floors with bed liner materials, and all but eliminated routine corrosion maintenance. This product may be an additional aid in reducing the need to pull mats and flush the flooring.

Disclaimer: I don't work for Dupli-Color or anyone other than my better half. My job is to make my job as easy as possible.

http://www.duplicolor.com/products/truckBedCoating/

http://www.duplicolor.com/products/bedArmor/

http://www.jegs.com/i/Duplicolor/318/BAK2010/10002/-1

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
To Much Trouble
Reg. Dec 2009
Posted 2010-07-28 10:02 AM (#122893 - in reply to #122800)
Subject: RE: Bed Liner for flooring, One more time

Veteran

THANK YOU for reposting this... :)

I think they should make this stuff in a varity of colors...black is OK..but I think horse would prefer to stand on "green"  LOL

gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2010-07-28 8:59 PM (#122934 - in reply to #122800)
Subject: RE: Bed Liner for flooring, One more time

Expert

If it were offered in white, it would be perfect as a roof coating