Inadequate mirror - what can I do?
summit_bound
Reg. Apr 2010
Posted 2010-05-18 11:28 PM (#120340)
Subject: Inadequate mirror - what can I do?

My truck has a tow package, so it has the nice big telescoping mirrors. However, I have an 8-ft wide trailer and even with the right mirror fully extended I cannot see down along that side of the trailer when I'm traveling. I can see just the front edge of the side. Is there such a thing as a temporary mirror I could get to mount to my right mirror to extend it out further so that I can see along the right side of my trailer? I would like to be able to remove it when I'm done. Thanks.
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
retento
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2010-05-19 3:16 AM (#120341 - in reply to #120340)
Subject: RE: Inadequate mirror - what can I do?

Expert

Look at these, alot of the RV folks use something on this order...  http://www.hensleymfg.com/mckeshmirrors.html

Anything that just clamps or straps on the existing mirror will shake, vibrate and blow around. The extra door strap help keep these stable.

I can't see all the way around my trailers either, tried several of these aftermarket mirrors and none of them proved be to be adequate to me. I guess it depends on what make, model truck you gotto begin with.

http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/23859648/gotomsg/23859925.cfm#23859925

summit_bound
Reg. Apr 2010
Posted 2010-05-19 7:21 AM (#120343 - in reply to #120341)

Thanks. I will check these out. I have an 08 GMC 2500HD. I took the trailer on its maiden voyage last weekend. I had not realized the right mirror was a problem until I passed someone on the interstate and I couldn't tell when it was safe to get back over into the right lane. That was no good. Retento, if you can't see all the way around your trailers, how do you know when you're okay to move to the right?
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2010-05-19 9:44 AM (#120347 - in reply to #120340)

Expert

I purchased a two pack of the inexpensive, circular, convex mirrors. Installing them in the corners of my truck's mirrors, greatly increases my ability to see other vehicles not directly behind mine.

They aid in backing and especially whilst on the highway, when vehicles are in your blind spot, the rear quarter while passing.

Snickers
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2010-05-19 11:16 AM (#120354 - in reply to #120340)

Veteran

What is the shape of your mirrors ? If they are more rectangular those can be pulled out and provide better vision. Thats what I have on my 07 GMC 3500 and they provide good vision.

summit_bound
Reg. Apr 2010
Posted 2010-05-19 11:36 AM (#120355 - in reply to #120354)

Yes they're rectangular, two-part mirrors. They are pulled out all the way. But my trailer is 8 feet wide and the right mirror is just not quite far enough out there to allow me to see down the curb side of the trailer. There's plenty good visibility on the driver's side, just not the other side.
retento
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2010-05-19 11:50 AM (#120356 - in reply to #120343)

Expert

Originally written by summit_bound on 2010-05-19 8:21 AM

Thanks. I will check these out. I have an 08 GMC 2500HD. I took the trailer on its maiden voyage last weekend. I had not realized the right mirror was a problem until I passed someone on the interstate and I couldn't tell when it was safe to get back over into the right lane. That was no good. Retento, if you can't see all the way around your trailers, how do you know when you're okay to move to the right?

Sometimes I have to lean forward or to the side to be sure I'm clear to reenter the right lane. If you'll use your turn signals, most truckers will flash their lights to signal that you're clear. That's probably against the law, but that don't make it wrong!!!

My truck is a 2001 GM, it came with the manual slide out towing mirrors. With them pulled all the way out I can see what's going on in either lane, just can't see all the way down the side or the back corners of the trailer. Never had any problems in traffic, just can't quite see all the way along the side... I can see the first axle hub cover sticking out. 

Practice, practice, practice. Get acclimated with the length of the truck and trailer and as to where other vehicles are located in the mirrors. Get a couple friends with some other vehicles out to a empty parking lot early one Sunday morning. Station some vehicles, measure some distances, check them in your mirrors and etch these distances in your mind!! Use the highway center white lines to aid in knowing for sure that you're clear to change lanes. It you've got two lines from the rear of the trailer to the front of the vehicle in the next lane you're clear to reenter. Two white line at 60 mph is approx. 2 seconds.

Some fed. govt. stuff....  http://www.nhtsa.gov/cars/rules/rulings/NPRM-FMVSS/NPRM-RearviewMirrors.html

One of those rear view camera's would be nice!!  http://www.rearviewsystems.com/