1997 all aluminum sundowner 720 w/weekend vs 2005 4 star w/out weekender-which to buy?
kim huck
Reg. May 2010
Posted 2010-05-17 5:01 PM (#120283)
Subject: 1997 all aluminum sundowner 720 w/weekend vs 2005 4 star w/out weekender-which to buy?

Hi everyone,

Need your advice. 

What do you think is a better way to go and why?  I personally think both trailers are quality with the Sundowner serving me the purpose of more immediate comfort without additional cash outlay for weekend overnighters. 

1997 720 (all aluminum for sure) Sundowner adobe weekender package with awning and shower with slides on front stall head and butts and drop down on 2nd stall head (less ventilation) - super clean; everything works

or

2005 4 star gooseneck (super clean) with no amenties but does have drop down windows on head and butt side;

which do you think will be better for the long haul and for resale?  Both are within a couple thousand dollars of each other in price.  The 4 star is the more expensive.  Both are 2 horse, slant.  Both have removable, collapsible rear tack.  Sundowner has a rear ramp plus rear doors. Both are 7' wide 7' tall. 

I'm getting brain overload so I could use the help. 

Kim

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
retento
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2010-05-17 5:56 PM (#120285 - in reply to #120283)
Subject: RE: 1997 all aluminum sundowner 720 w/weekend vs 2005 4 star w/out weekender-which to buy?

Expert

That's easy.... 4 STAR!!
kim huck
Reg. May 2010
Posted 2010-05-17 5:59 PM (#120286 - in reply to #120283)
Subject: RE: 1997 all aluminum sundowner 720 w/weekend vs 2005 4 star w/out weekender-which to buy?

Thanks Retento.  Why?
Cowgirl-h
Reg. Feb 2010
Posted 2010-05-17 6:13 PM (#120289 - in reply to #120283)

Regular

It seems to me that you're comparing apples to oranges, which makes this a tough decision.

Do you want/need a weekender? If so, then the 4-Star isn't for you unless you get someone to put a weekend package in for you,or unless you do it yourself. And that will cost money and take a lot of time. If you don't have the extra money or time and knowledge to do this, then the trailer won't meet your needs. I do like the 4-Star trailers, and since this one is nice and new I'm going to assume its good value for the money. But if it doesn't do what you need, then it isn't the right choice.

The Sundowner has what you need for the money. But you didn't tell us how much they were, so I'm not sure if its a good deal, or not. I'm going to assume it has what you need for a weekend package, and that's good. But it is getting up there in years so I'd hope the price was decent. If you use it for another five years, and then want to resell it, it will be a 20 year old trailer. It will be resellable if its in good shape, but people don't expect to pay too much for a 20 year old trailer, no matter what name brand it is.

So I'm not sure if either of them are perfect for you, or not. What will you be doing with the trailer? If just hauling horses and almost never staying overnight, then I'd say you should go with the 4-Star. Its age and brand will help it retain its value, so when you sell it in 5 years time it probably will still be worth a good percentage of what you paid. But if you plan to haul and stay overnight frequently, then the 4-Star isn't ideal. It's going to take another $5000 or up to put in basic weekend package, less if you do it yourself, but then you're in for alot of work.

I'd sit down and make myself a list. What have you done with horses in the last two or three years, and how often? What would you like to change? How many horses will you be hauling? How big is your budget? How long do you want to use this trailer? What are you prepared to do without, and what do you consider essential? When you've really made up that list, your head won't be spinning so much, and the choice will be easier.

Happy trailer shopping.

jackbrat
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2010-05-17 6:26 PM (#120290 - in reply to #120283)

Elite Veteran

I personally, would go for the Sundowner. You did say that it was for sure ALL ALUMINUM. I was just going to tell you- make sure the Sundowner is all alum because I have read a lot of posts about the steel framed alum skin sundowners lately. Anyways, I would kill for a shower in mine. If you plan on camping with your horses in the future, or going to over-nite clinics, go with the weekender package. Get more for your money. I guarantee at some point you will use the weekender package. I think Sundowner is a good trailer. I like what I have seen about them. 4-Star is a great trailer. But, I do think the Sundowner will last you as long as you need or want.
retento
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2010-05-17 6:59 PM (#120292 - in reply to #120286)

Expert

Originally written by kim huck on 2010-05-17 6:59 PM

Thanks Retento.  Why?

Because I like a 4 Star better. I wouldn't want a 13 year old weekender package, probably needs redoing. I would rather install a new weekender package in the 2007 4 Star, then I would know what I got. I like the fact the 4 Star has drops on the butt also. And you can probably buy the 4 Star, flip it in a couple of months and get all of your money back. JMHO.

kim huck
Reg. May 2010
Posted 2010-05-17 7:10 PM (#120294 - in reply to #120292)

Agreed that it is not apples to apples.  I'm not sure it can be.  I'm basing my decision on price range and what I can get in that price range that will do for my purpose.  Yes, I can live in a 4 star that has no factory added amenities and rough it.  I can certainly add smaller items over time like an awning, etc.  I am quite concerned about purchasing a 1997 trailer (no matter what brand) which is why I wanted opinions.  I know that I can turn around and sell the 4 star and get something close to my money back.  I'm NOt sure if that will be the case with the Sundowner.  I'm willing to forego the weekender if the overall safer bet is the 4-star.  If you really think it will be tough to sell a 15 or 20 year old Sundowner than I should go with the 4 star. 

Cowgirl-h
Reg. Feb 2010
Posted 2010-05-17 7:59 PM (#120295 - in reply to #120283)

Regular

I don't know if it will be really hard to sell a 20 year old trailer, or not. I know I personally wouldn't buy one because I'd assume I was going to have lots of minor problems at the least, and I would be reluctant to put money into it in case something else went. Now, if I was looking for a second trailer to use only now and then it might be different. But I think it really depends on how much they're asking for the Sundowner.

Let's say that hypothetically you buy the Sundowner for $7000. At that price you could use it for 5 years, and then still resell it for $5000. (I"m just pulling numbers out of a hat, I have no idea what its worth and what it will sell for in the future). I do know that someone will buy a weekend package for $5000. Basically you'll get 5 years use for $2000. Heck, I sold a 15 year old steel stock trailer last year for $2500, and it had several rust holes the size of a quarter! So people will buy them, if they're priced low, as long as the floor is sound.

But if you have to pay $10,000 for the trailer, then everything changes. I don't think anyone will pay $8000 for it in 5 years time. I don't know if they'll pay $7000. So if you still only get $5000 for it, then it cost you $5000 to use for 5 years.

So don't refuse this trailer just because some of us think it might be hard to sell. A trailer that's still sound and still works can always be sold, the question is - for how much?! Just go onto the "trailers for sale" section here and look to see how much people are selling 18 to 20 year old trailers with some sort of weekend packages, that will give you an idea on resell.

Is there another option for the money?

farmbabe
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2010-05-18 7:59 AM (#120304 - in reply to #120283)

Expert

Do you plan on reselling it?Figure out what you want to do- do you want a LQ trailer or not. Do you want to fix'er up into a LQ or not? Maybe neither trailer will meet your needs and you should just start the process all over again. Personally I always knew what I needed and what I would like to have and then went out and tried to find a trailer that meet most of the the wants and needs (within the budget) with little or no thought of resale. When you narrow it down the search becomes much easier.
Zoe
Reg. Feb 2010
Posted 2010-05-18 11:36 AM (#120313 - in reply to #120283)

Regular

We have camped for 30 years with a truck camper (w/all ammenities) and a bumper pull trailer.  We decided to take the plunge & 4 years ago we bought a 1995 Sundowner 3 horse slant w/6' LQ that had a fridge, microwave, 2 burner stove, sink, a/c, heater, lots of cabinets & separate shower & bath, awning, etc. which was 20' on the floor and was in excellent condition.  I didn't want anything too long to start and was also working on a budget.  This was a really solid trailer and I could have used it another 10 years+ without any concern as to its structural integrity (appliances need to be replaced from time to time but we had that w/our truck camper as well).  There is no question I am spoiled and enjoy my comforts - there is nothing like a hot shower after a ride and a heater to take the chill off when camping in colder weather and a dry place to be when it rains. However, we decided we eventually wanted a little larger LQ and this spring we purchased a 2006 Kiefer-Built with a 10' LQ that was loaded, had the floor plan we wanted (24' on the floor) & at the right price.  We got almost as much as we had paid for our Sundowner so we couldn't pass up the deal (especially since the K-B was like brand new!).  It's not always the age of the trailer as much as how people maintain them & there are some people who only use them several times a year and keep them stored so they are still like new. You can tell a lot by the fridge, stove & shower in the LQ and you definitely need to check under the mats & inspect the floor in the horse area.  Just because it is all aluminum, you still need to routinely pick up the mats & clean under them especially if you have a horse that urinates in the trailer or you will wind up with holes in the floor.  YOU first need to decide your priorities but it sounds like the Sundowner would better suit your purpose and you will get much more enjoyment from it and it will probably last you a long time.  We keep our trailer packed so all we have to do is put in the food and hay & grain for the horses & we are set to go!  Since the Sundowner is an older unit, maybe you could make an offer for less than they are asking & see what happens?  Hope this helps and happy trailer shopping - been there & done it!