Towing and Trailer Safety--Must Read from COTH
DD_TrailerMan
Reg. Jul 2008
Posted 2010-04-28 8:36 AM (#119463)
Subject: Towing and Trailer Safety--Must Read from COTH

Veteran

I have been reading some of these articles on the Chronicles of Horse and this answers many of the repeat questions I see on HTW.  I think its an 8 article series. 

http://www.chronofhorse.com/trailering

Bartley Heath
bartley@DoubleDTrailers.com
Buy Factory Direct and $ave at DoubleDTrailers.com

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
retento
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2010-04-28 10:58 AM (#119470 - in reply to #119463)
Subject: RE: Towing and Trailer Safety--Must Read from COTH

Expert

That's some good safety tips there Bartley!!

Unlike the article, I'm still partial to leaf springs on a tandem or tri-axle trailer. (air pressure adjustable individual air bags would probably be the best of all) The leaf spring set up allows the load to pretty much remain even on all axles. It allows the axles to pivot and rotate over speed bumps, holes and ruts, etc. The torsion axle really loads each tire as you cross over bumps..... This and trailers riding too high in the front may be the reason so may folks have so much tire trouble, the load doesn't stay as "even". One axle is carrying most of the load while the other is just sort of tagging along.

How long does the rubber in the torsion axle hold up before it starts to crumble, fall apart and the spindle starts to shift outward and upward?? (tires wearing on the inside and wheel bearing troubles)  I've never seen anything about the life expectancy of a torsion axle. I guess it depends on how much it is used (abused).

I think the most of the horse trailer industry went with the torsion axles because they were cheap and easy to install and it was an easy way to keep the trailers low to the ground, not because they were any better than a leaf spring setup, JMHO.

DD_TrailerMan
Reg. Jul 2008
Posted 2010-05-03 10:04 AM (#119644 - in reply to #119470)

Veteran

Hey Gary,

I am surprised you haven't received flack over the leaf spring/torsion debate.  I  definitely think the leaf springs allow for a better load balance.  Double D Trailers come standard with leaf springs even though it takes longer to install.  Many manufacturers weld the torsion axle straight to the frame rather than use the mounting clips (have fun replacing an axle if your axles are welded to the frame).  The 22-degree up torsion does allow the trailer to sit 1.25" lower to the ground.

Bartley Heath
bartley@DoubleDTrailers.com
Buy Factory Direct and $ave at DoubleDTrailers.com

chadsalt
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2010-05-03 11:45 AM (#119655 - in reply to #119463)

Expert

I'm under the impression that 'ride' is why torsion were more popular in horse trailers.  The torsion axle trailers seem to pull better to me, less bounce since the axle technically has 'spring' going both ways, sort of of built in shock.  I inquired about service life when I purchased my trailer, no one ever got back to me.  I would have to assume there is something other than the rubber holding the spindle straight with the world.  Al-ko axles have an independent suspension on the axle, there is a hollow space in the axle tube allowing individual wheel movement on the same axle.  Obviously there is something holding the rubber/inner tube inside the axle tube, presumably that is what keeps things square?  I would like to cut one open just for S&G.  I do agree the torsion axles are more sensitive to keeping the trailer level for weight distribution over the trailer's axles.

Bartley, I've cut a welded on torsion axle off a trailer before.  Took a little time with an angle grinder, but the last spring suspension I re-worked took some effort also.

gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2010-05-03 11:48 AM (#119656 - in reply to #119463)

Expert

Most boat and utility trailers use leaf spring suspensions. They are easy to adjust and install, and usually allow the trailer to sit squarely on very uneven ground.

Unfortunately few manufacturers, in a cost cutting measure, include shock absorbers with their installations. The result is severe rebounding, axle hopping and damage to any loose contents within the trailer. I've repaired battery hold downs that were ripped from the floor, seen gas tanks that were literally expelled from the boat, resecured seats etc.

With a leaf spring, you will have a similar rebound affect to the initial compression. If it is not controlled by a shock absorbing action, any trailer thus equipped, will effect a very rough ride. I've owned some horse trailers with leaf springs and no shocks, and have to say the rides in my torsion axle equipped trailers are far superior.

One only has to follow a leaf spring, suspended trailer down a rough road, to see how little control the suspension offers. While the springs  may adequately control the weight, the suspension does little good in maintaining constant ground contact with the tires. The tires will hop off the pavement on a bump, and on tight turns the trailer will have a tendency to skid towards the outside of a turn.

The effect is similar on a heavier horse trailer, although not as extreme. I would suggest a ride in both types of trailers, to personally evaluate the overall ride quality of each type.

Many trailers can be retrofitted with shock absorbers. It takes a bit of welding and a good counter person, who can recommend the correct shocks for your application. The ride quality is immediately improved, and the trailer is safer to pull.

If all your travels are on improved roads, the ride difference may not be as noticeable. Given a choice of having all four of my tires on the road  or having a better controlled overall ride, I choose the later.