Truck to trailer brake issue
maccwall
Reg. May 2004
Posted 2010-04-03 3:17 PM (#118409)
Subject: Truck to trailer brake issue

Extreme Veteran

Howdy all,

I don't get on here like I used to unfortunately and I have done a search to try and locate an answer to my issue, but I am stumped as to what to look for next. I have a 2004 Hart and yesterday the welds on the bar under the trailer that has wires running through it to the brakes and running lights on the passenger side broke and the wires on that side were severed. I have all that back together, but now my trailer brakes will lock up while plugged into the truck. The light on my brake controller does not come anymore and after using my test light have determined that the brake terminal from the truck to the umbilical of the trailer constantly has power so when I plug the umbilical in my brakes lock up on the trailer. I have even unplugged the controller from the harness it's wired into and get the same results, continuos plower to the trailer brakes. I have checked all the fuses and relays that I check but keep getting the same results. I don't know where to go from here as I'm not very good at trouble shooting things like this. My plug from the truck is a 7 way as that is what was installed on the truck at the time. It's a 1997 F250. I'm quite frustrated and need to get this fixed as I have an endurance ride coming up next weekend as well as my daughters jumping show (ride on Sat, show on Sun). Anyway, any help ASAP would be greatly appreciated.

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2010-04-03 4:17 PM (#118412 - in reply to #118409)
Subject: RE: Truck to trailer brake issue

Expert

You apparently have some wires that have had their insulation cut when the loom failed. You have a hot wire touching the brake wire. This could be the truck's B+, a lighting circuit etc.

The best way to fix it, is to purchase a new wiring strip, pull it through the loom using the old wiring, and whilst matching colours, splice into the old wiring where you know it is undamaged.

Gard

maccwall
Reg. May 2004
Posted 2010-04-03 4:40 PM (#118414 - in reply to #118412)

Extreme Veteran

Thanks Gard, but I'm not sure I follow you. I re-wired the wires that were severed by the bar breaking under the trailer and I cannot find any broken insulation on them anywhere. The wires were broke or rubbed in only two areas which was on either side of the front trailer wheels where the bar broke. The wires to the front brakes on the passenger side of the trailer along with the running light wire were broke. I have repaired them and ran loom with the wires in them, all the way across the front axle and zip tied that to the axle. I'm pretty sure that is not where the problem lies. Like I said though, the brake pole from the connector on the truck is constantly hot. I checked it with my test light and put a volt meter on the brake wires that are in the distribution box and it read 13.4 vdc. Everything else is working great except my brakes. My brake controller led also does not come on which tells me I have no signal to it. I checked the power to it and it's getting power but doesn't function. It's a Tekonsha and have never had any problems with it until now. My trailer is wired differently than most diagrams state but I am confident that I have the wires in the right place. Is it normal for the brake pole on the connector on the truck to be hot all the time? I wouldn't think so.

maccwall
Reg. May 2004
Posted 2010-04-03 4:42 PM (#118415 - in reply to #118414)

Extreme Veteran

Oh yeah, that pole is only hot when the key is on.

maccwall
Reg. May 2004
Posted 2010-04-03 5:03 PM (#118417 - in reply to #118415)

Extreme Veteran

Ok, everyone is allowed to call me an idiot. I don't know why I didn't think about earlier, but If the one pole that is always hot with the key on, that would stand to reason that would be the one that charges the battery from the vehicle, correct? Of course. I never did mention that when all of this started I had replaced the six way connector and figured I had every wire put back where it belongs according to the wireing diagram on the trailer, right. Well I was wrong. I switched the wires from the brake pole to the auxhillary pole and visa versa and wallah, no more brake problem. My brake controllers led is back and the controller works. I also remembered that they had this same issue when we bought the trailer and had to switch wires so sort of way so obviously my truck is wired funny. Anyway, it's working now so I can go and ride! Thanks for all who looked and Gard who helped!

lesliemal
Reg. Sep 2007
Posted 2010-04-03 5:20 PM (#118418 - in reply to #118409)

Extreme Veteran

woooooohooooooooo! Glad you got it fixed.