Older Trailers
liv to ride
Reg. Jul 2007
Posted 2010-03-02 3:06 PM (#117171)
Subject: Older Trailers

Veteran

Hi, I have a very good friend who is looking for an older aluminum trailer. If you were looking for an older aluminum LQ , which brands would you consider ? Somewhere in the 8-10 year range. Thanks for your help.
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
farmbabe
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2010-03-02 3:24 PM (#117173 - in reply to #117171)
Subject: RE: Older Trailers

Expert

To me- brand is a secondary issue. There are many variables to consider-if the trailer hasn't been well serviced and maintained then the brand is of no consequence.Even high priced trailers that are treated like crap will become crap. Instead of getting hung up on a the nameplate, I'd just start looking at the unit itself-check out the underside,floors,windows,doors..there are some parts that will show normal wear but other parts you'd want pretty solid-such as the floor,brakes,axles and doors/windows. Now some areas will need to be replaced due to age and use ( tires)..other areas are expensive to replace so you'd have to take that into consideration. Thats just the horse area then if you add a LQ-all of the appliances, pumps, tanks cupboards..they should be in working order and if not,how much would it cost to fix or replace? There are good solid used trailers out there but its up to the buyer to be careful in checking things out...due diligence is the buyers responsiblity.
horsecamper
Reg. Sep 2008
Posted 2010-03-03 3:20 PM (#117218 - in reply to #117171)
Subject: RE: Older Trailers

Veteran

liv to ride,  I agree with farmbabe on the condition issue.  I checked out a Bloomer on a local lot and it had obviously been a rodeo rig,  rode hard and put away wet!  Good trailer brand, but sorry condition.  That aside, on a good condition trailer, a person could go back more than ten years and get a really good buy on some of the high end manufacturers that have been around for a long time.  I've seen some really good buys on older 4 Stars on this site.