scams
dallas
Reg. Feb 2010
Posted 2010-02-21 3:09 PM (#116857)
Subject: scams

New User

I have read a lot about the seller beware.....I am a canadian buyer and I am not sure the best way to purchase a trailer being so far away.....how do you ensure the trailer is still there when you arrive to pick it up when they want payment before hand.....I understand they want their money to ensure it is actually sold but how do we protect ourselves when we have to wait for a break in the weather to venture 1800 miles to pick one up????Any suggestions would be appreciated?
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
sinful
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2010-02-21 5:01 PM (#116862 - in reply to #116857)
Subject: RE: scams

Extreme Veteran

I don't think it's wise to pay for anything site-unseen.   I'd hate to see you send them money and drive 1800 miles to find out you were just taken adavantage of. I don't know how you could ever protect yourself.   You can't find anything closer to home?
crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2010-02-21 5:57 PM (#116866 - in reply to #116857)

Expert

Originally written by dallas on 2010-02-21 3:09 PM

I have read a lot about the seller beware.....I am a canadian buyer and I am not sure the best way to purchase a trailer being so far away.....how do you ensure the trailer is still there when you arrive to pick it up when they want payment before hand.....I understand they want their money to ensure it is actually sold but how do we protect ourselves when we have to wait for a break in the weather to venture 1800 miles to pick one up????Any suggestions would be appreciated?

Lord,don't EVER DO that!!!  13

dallas
Reg. Feb 2010
Posted 2010-02-21 6:36 PM (#116868 - in reply to #116862)

New User

there are trailers closer to home but trailers in the US are much more affordable.  The trailer isn't site unseen but there has to be a way to get one purchased down there.....maybe a broker???
sinful
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2010-02-21 6:43 PM (#116869 - in reply to #116857)

Extreme Veteran

Get one at a Dealer, I'm sure you can do that can't you.  I guess you'll have to pay a hefty tax when you get it back to Canada if you buy new.  Is that right?  Or am I wrong.  I had a freind go to Denver to pickup a brand new bull rack and take it back to Alberta.  I know he had a whole File of paperwork on it to get thru customs and what not.

Edited by sinful 2010-02-21 6:44 PM
crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2010-02-22 10:27 AM (#116887 - in reply to #116868)

Expert

Regardless,I still would not shell out full price for a trailer until I was ready to pick it up.Anytime I've sold a trailer,or horse,I did not always sell it to someone within an hour's driving distance,nor did I always buy one that close.I have had a seller ask me to send a deposit that she did not offer to refund if I got there and decided not to buy the trailer.I would not have minded had the deposit not been so much,but,she wanted a  20% non-refundable deposit on a 12,000 trailer.

Most of the time,it's first come,first serve.If I wanted the trailer and could assure the buyer that more than likely,I would take it,it was there when I arrived,and vice versa.If I've sold a trailer (or horse) and someone told me that they were just coming to "look at it" I made it clear that if someone came along with the money before their arrival,it was gone.

Is the trailer located at the seller's residence,or place of business? Can you be certain they will "hold" it for you with a deposit? would they be willing to notify you if another buyer happened along before your arrival?

If I were spending a lot of money on it,I sure would NOT pay for it until I personally inspected it myself,no matter how far I had to drive.I think I'd locate one a little closer to the border,if I were you.Be sure you check out all the where and whyfores.Some of the details required to get it back across the border might dampen your excitement over your purchase.57

Good luck.

Cowgirl-h
Reg. Feb 2010
Posted 2010-02-22 10:35 AM (#116889 - in reply to #116857)

Regular

Hi to a fellow Albertan!

I too have looked at the ads for trailers in the U.S. but I haven't ever done my homework to see what papers and information is required to bring it across the border. I sure would recommend you do that before going any further. I have friends who bought a vehicle in the U.S. and had a terrible time getting it across the border. And the charges for duty and GST really added to the whole problem. Canada Customs has a website, I'd start there and I'd also want to talk to someone in person. Take that person's name and info number, too, so that you can quote them if you still have problems when you come across the border.

On the other hand, it might be worth looking into. But even if I was buying something expensive from far away in canada I'd be cautious. You mentioned you've seen the trailer, but was it in photos, or in real life? I personally wouldn't pay full price for anything that I hadn't seen myself, or had a trusted friend look at for me. Some sellers are dishonest. Some sellers are uneducated. And some problems aren't apparant until you look carefully. I would worry about that.

So happy shopping, good luck, and may your money be spent in ways that you desire.