Platinum Trailes
bigch
Reg. Jan 2010
Posted 2010-01-22 11:31 PM (#115609)
Subject: Platinum Trailes

New User

Does anyone have any experience or information on Platinum Coach Trailers.  Are they in the same class as other upper end trailers?

Thanks

Bigch

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
301duster
Reg. Jan 2009
Posted 2010-01-23 7:49 AM (#115611 - in reply to #115609)
Subject: RE: Platinum Trailes

Veteran

Yes they are.
whitewood
Reg. Jun 2009
Posted 2010-01-23 8:42 PM (#115640 - in reply to #115609)

Veteran

today, Platinum and Elite are probably in a class by themselves. The owners and engineers came out of 4 Star. The same for C&C.
crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2010-01-24 11:37 PM (#115667 - in reply to #115609)

Expert

We owned a really nice Platinum Silver (I believe the Coach is the higher end of the two) but ours was a nice trailer,also.Unfortunately it was our first LQ and we didn't do our homework.The ceiling was too low in the bunk area and we traded it.It had an Outlaw conversion,and was a super trailer.I'd buy one again if I were in the market although I rank it with Elite,4Star,etc.also.
horsecamper
Reg. Sep 2008
Posted 2010-01-25 11:18 AM (#115679 - in reply to #115609)

Veteran

bigch, I second whitewood,  I took a pretty good look at the Platinums and Platimum was on my short list with Elite, 4 Star and C&C.  I ended up with an Elite, but would have bought a comparable Platimum if I have found one.

Cindy Trailer Depot
Reg. May 2004
Posted 2010-01-25 1:16 PM (#115684 - in reply to #115667)

Regular

I sell Platinum trailers, and yes, they are one of the "big four" best constructed trailers on the market...along with 4-Star, Elite, and C&C. 

I did want to clear up the comment that the Coach model was a "higher end" model.  That is completely untrue.  The Coach and the Silver have the exact same quality of construction, it's just certain options are not available on the Silver, and the Coach is completey custom with any option you want.  This is different with the Elite Mustang vs a true Elite...The Mustang is actually constructed with different quality materials.

krtxfg
Reg. Jul 2006
Posted 2010-01-25 1:52 PM (#115686 - in reply to #115609)

The mustang in an Elite is only offered in a 2,3, or 4 horse with a 4' shortwall. It uses the same materials as our custom trailers do with different add ons. For example, window bars, latches, ect. The main component of the trailer structure wise is the same. On your question, a platinum is a good trailer.
threeman
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2010-01-25 4:55 PM (#115693 - in reply to #115686)

Extreme Veteran

I own a mustang elite and honestly as far as comparing it (materials) to the 32' box 07 model trailer its the same construction.  The extruded sides are tough as nails.  They are made like a tongue and groove material.  They are thick as well.  If you want to cut through one you will find out.  I could post a pic of the section since installing a hot water heater but I just threw out the section yesterday.  I will see if I can find another to show.

Call elite they can correct you but I think they are the same material just a production model.  Limited to changes that can be done so that is made quick, sort of like a spec house.  C&C is done, correct?

Edited by threeman 2010-01-25 4:57 PM
Duckman
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2010-01-26 9:44 AM (#115723 - in reply to #115609)

Veteran

I thought the upright posts in a Mustang were smaller and a little further apart??
threeman
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2010-01-26 10:09 AM (#115726 - in reply to #115723)

Extreme Veteran

Call elite they will answer the difference or just call a dealer.

the mustang i have has on average most on 16.5" centers.  some are closer and but one or two maybe over that depending on where framing ends up at a corner.  the veritcals are about a 2" or so channel that has about a 1" opening on one side.  keep in mind the dressing room is only 3.5'.  i am certain on a large lq trailer larger and more frequent bracing is needed no matter who the manufacture is.

To the original poster, the platinum is a good trailer bottom line.  Nothing wrong with it.  Built solid.  Its designed to be used daily.

Duckman
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2010-01-26 1:19 PM (#115743 - in reply to #115609)

Veteran

Threeman, thanks, I didn't know they weren't full posts, just "hat" posts.
crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2010-01-26 9:51 PM (#115753 - in reply to #115684)

Expert

Originally written by Cindy Trailer Depot on 2010-01-25 1:16 PM

I sell Platinum trailers, and yes, they are one of the "big four" best constructed trailers on the market...along with 4-Star, Elite, and C&C. 

I did want to clear up the comment that the Coach model was a "higher end" model.  That is completely untrue.  The Coach and the Silver have the exact same quality of construction, it's just certain options are not available on the Silver, and the Coach is completey custom with any option you want.  This is different with the Elite Mustang vs a true Elite...The Mustang is actually constructed with different quality materials.

Well,excuse me,cindy.I didn't know the actual difference.Not having bought it from a dealer who knew what they were doing,we didn't have anything like that explained to us,and,as I said,it was our first LQ.I didn't know I was posting something completely untrue,that's not my style.sorry.9

And apparently that's why our "Silver" model did not have a ceiling that was tall enough to put in ducted air and have the drop that comes with doing that.That's the reason the bunk did not have enough headroom.Dealer did not do their homework before ordering a LQ trailer.

Edited by crowleysridgegirl 2010-01-26 9:54 PM
Cindy Trailer Depot
Reg. May 2004
Posted 2010-01-27 10:19 AM (#115776 - in reply to #115753)

Regular

Originally written by Cindy Trailer Depot on 2010-01-25 1:16 PM

Well,excuse me,cindy.I didn't know the actual difference.Not having bought it from a dealer who knew what they were doing,we didn't have anything like that explained to us,and,as I said,it was our first LQ.I didn't know I was posting something completely untrue,that's not my style.sorry.9

And apparently that's why our "Silver" model did not have a ceiling that was tall enough to put in ducted air and have the drop that comes with doing that.That's the reason the bunk did not have enough headroom.Dealer did not do their homework before ordering a LQ trailer.

I'm always sad when I hear someone didn't have everything explained to them correctly when they were buying a trailer, especially a Platinum.  It sounds like your dealer either was not experienced in selling LQ shells, or was trying to stay in your price range with less options so he wouldn't lose a sale.  It doesn't matter if you start with the Coach or the Silver...to drop the nose 4" costs more.  That option is available in the Silver model...your dealer should have offered it if he knew you were doing an LQ.  However, the 7'6" tall option is only offered in the Coach, so if that's what you wanted, you would have had to start with it.  

Platinum offers what's called a Silver Plus...the plus means it's already set up for an LQ and has mangers, but it only comes 7' tall and the option of 7' or 7'6" wide...but the other options are limited and the Silver is designed for buyers who want to stay in a lower price range but still have the quality of a Platinum trailer.  If you wanted a full blown LQ with duct AC and heat, your dealer did you a real dis-service by not letting you know the differences in these 2 models.  You actually needed a Coach with either/or dropped nose and 7'6" tall options for the extra headroom in the bed....so you are correct when you said your dealer dropped the ball there.

But...even though the choice of options is different on each model, my only point was that the Coach and Silver are made from the exact same quality of materials all the way from the ground up.  I know that in an Elite or 4-Star, you would also have had to pay extra to drop the nose and go 7'6" tall. 

In my experience, I have found that buyers trying to stay in a certain price range like the Silver Plus model and are satisfied with the dropped nose option...which I always offer.  As a Platinum dealer, I know that the purchase of an LQ trailer is a lot of money, so I feel like it's my responsibility to let my customers know exactly what they need to be comfortable, and price different models with all of the options they ask for, but it's also my job to suggest options they might not have thought of.  I know over the years, I have suggested many options to customers that they never thought of and have gotten great feedback of how happy they were that they added those options.  I think it's because I don't just sell trailers, but I've had horses and rodeoed my whole life and I know what works and what doesn't.

I have my own pricing software where I go through every LQ shell option with them and explain the benefits of each one before they committ to a final decision....I don't want them to miss anything.  If your dealer did any less, you got robbed of a good purchase experience, and I hope you can still be happy with your trailer and maybe upgrade to what you really want in the future. 

crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2010-01-27 10:43 PM (#115815 - in reply to #115776)

Expert

We purchased it with the conversion by Outlaw already done .So,I guess you'd say "my bad" for not paying more attention.It was our first LQ and we were caught up in LQ fever.

We unloaded it a long time ago,when my husband fell off of the bunk and landed on the couch one PM getting up to go to the BR,that was it.We were at the World Foxtrotter Show where the Exiss dealer was set up.That took care of that problem.(Sent you a PM with Platinum dealer info.)

"I'm always sad when I hear someone didn't have everything explained to them correctly when they were buying a trailer, especially a Platinum.  It sounds like your dealer either was not experienced in selling LQ shells, or was trying to stay in your price range with less options so he wouldn't lose a sale. "

I'd definately go for the first assesment you made re: the dealer. 

Edited by crowleysridgegirl 2010-01-27 10:45 PM
TT's
Reg. Aug 2008
Posted 2010-01-28 1:13 PM (#115843 - in reply to #115609)

Platinum makes a great trailer.

Edited by TT's 2010-01-28 2:09 PM