Elite vs Cimarron
horsesx6
Reg. Dec 2009
Posted 2010-01-16 4:36 PM (#115350)
Subject: Elite vs Cimarron

We are looking for a  new trailer and have narrowed it down to Elite or Cimarron.  Looking for opinions or your experiences with either one of these trailers. 

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
nd deb
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2010-01-16 5:26 PM (#115351 - in reply to #115350)
Subject: RE: Elite vs Cimarron

Veteran

I got my Elite that ordered last Feb... Love it...  When I got it i was very impressed... 
horsesx6
Reg. Dec 2009
Posted 2010-01-16 7:00 PM (#115353 - in reply to #115350)

good i'm glad you liked the Elite. Is there something you don't like about it?
arrowfour
Reg. Jan 2010
Posted 2010-01-17 12:27 AM (#115363 - in reply to #115350)

I just received my new 2010 Elite 3 horse with 9 ft short wall. I like it very much. I believe Elite is the one of the very best made today. Immaculate quality welds and just quality all over. Love the new door handles and one key for all locks. I had a 2008 model and loved it also. They pull like nothing is back there. All aluminum and light weight. Factory has great service. Unfortunately, our local dealer in OKC has gone out of business, call Elite factory direct, they have taken it over for now anyway. Have fun deciding!
Paracadista
Reg. Oct 2009
Posted 2010-01-17 7:14 AM (#115369 - in reply to #115350)

Ferrel's went out of business?
longearsmom
Reg. Mar 2008
Posted 2010-01-17 8:11 AM (#115372 - in reply to #115350)

I'll have to put in a word for Cimarron. We ordered ours in 2006 and have loved every minute with it. No problems at all, good sturdy welds and pulls great. We looked at a lot of trailers in the summer time and the Cimarron was much cooler when we stepped into it. Also the drop down window latches were a lot easier to get to and the bar design is great.
calamityj
Reg. Jun 2005
Posted 2010-01-17 8:29 AM (#115373 - in reply to #115350)

Elite Veteran

If you compare the aluminum extruded sides of each, you will note that Cimmaron has a thicker, far more durable construction. We noticed this while horsecamping with friends who have an Elite. THEY noticed it and brought it to our attention... they are both very nice trailers. Just remember we are in a very soft economy, and the money you put in may not come back out. It would be a good idea to consider what-ifs while making major purchases. Good luck, follow your gut instincts...
TB0613
Reg. Jan 2010
Posted 2010-01-17 11:31 AM (#115380 - in reply to #115350)

New User

To open a new can of worms, I have been looking for just what you have been discussing... A high quality trailer!  Looking for the last year, as my finances have finally stablized, I am ready to buy now.  Being from Ohio I went to Leonard's to see about a Cimarron.  Come to find out they are no longer a Cimarron dealer, much to my surprize, but they did offer me a Blue Ribbon Trailers plant tour.  In true amazement, it was so much more than I expected.  I would have paid far to much and got less trailer had I bought either the Cimarron or Elite.  I owned an Elite and it was a great trailer.  Thought the Cimarron was the choice for me but my new Blue Ribbon 4H with 16' Living Quarters and a spot for my Harley is, Well, simply outstanding.  Welds rival the Cimarron, material quality and fit and finish are just outstanding, in my opinion, exceeding the Elite and Cimarron.  Thanks again Blue Ribbon and I recommend you all go see one for yourselves.  I was shocked and am super satisfied. And by the way, it pulls fabulous as well.

DK 

horsesx6
Reg. Dec 2009
Posted 2010-01-17 1:30 PM (#115385 - in reply to #115350)

I appreciate everyones comments.  I  am leaning towards the Cimarron, however an Elite dealer is so much closer to us.  I have never heard of Blue Ribbon trailers I will have to look them up.  It will probably end up with  whoever will give us the best deal.  So far they are close in price. We have had our current trailer for 7 years so we now know some of the features we would like to have in our new trailer.   We do want a quality trailer but i am amazed at how much a 6ft drsg room 4 horse costs, but of course we have added features that we would like to have  so the price goes up then.  It will be used a lot, we go to some breed shows and go to as many open or 4H shows as we can , plus haul to lessons and 4H ride nights.    Thanks to everyone that has replied its nice to get some other opinions before we purchase.

retento
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2010-01-17 1:31 PM (#115386 - in reply to #115380)

Expert

Originally written by TB0613 on 2010-01-17 12:31 PM

To open a new can of worms, I have been looking for just what you have been discussing... A high quality trailer!  Looking for the last year, as my finances have finally stablized, I am ready to buy now.  Being from Ohio I went to Leonard's to see about a Cimarron.  Come to find out they are no longer a Cimarron dealer, much to my surprize, but they did offer me a Blue Ribbon Trailers plant tour.  In true amazement, it was so much more than I expected.  I would have paid far to much and got less trailer had I bought either the Cimarron or Elite.  I owned an Elite and it was a great trailer.  Thought the Cimarron was the choice for me but my new Blue Ribbon 4H with 16' Living Quarters and a spot for my Harley is, Well, simply outstanding.  Welds rival the Cimarron, material quality and fit and finish are just outstanding, in my opinion, exceeding the Elite and Cimarron.  Thanks again Blue Ribbon and I recommend you all go see one for yourselves.  I was shocked and am super satisfied. And by the way, it pulls fabulous as well.

DK 

Welcome to HTW.

What do you know about the 12 ply ST235/85R16 (3960 pounds) Radials, that Blue Ribbon uses on they're larger LQ trailers.... Just wondering what brand/make they are.  Not used to seeing a 16" load range F, 12 ply tire rated at 3960#. I run 235/85-16RST Goodyear load range G's, and they're only rated at 3750#. Just wondering....

I got the Blue Ribbon info from they're website.  http://www.blueribbontrailers.com/trailers/living-quarters/411glidelq_trailer_specs.html

Edited by retento 2010-01-17 1:33 PM
horsey1
Reg. Dec 2004
Posted 2010-01-17 2:38 PM (#115392 - in reply to #115386)

Elite Veteran

What do you know about the 12 ply ST235/85R16 (3960 pounds) Radials, that Blue Ribbon uses on they're larger LQ trailers.... Just wondering what brand/make they are.  Not used to seeing a 16" load range F, 12 ply tire rated at 3960#. I run 235/85-16RST Goodyear load range G's, and they're only rated at 3750#. Just wondering....

I got the Blue Ribbon info from they're website.  http://www.blueribbontrailers.com/trailers/living-quarters/411glidelq_trailer_specs.html

Look at this http://www.carlisletire.com/products/trailer/radial_trail/index.htm... Bottom unit. I suspect that's what they're using.

Edited by horsey1 2010-01-17 2:39 PM
threeman
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2010-01-17 4:08 PM (#115396 - in reply to #115350)

Extreme Veteran

i have owned the elite for sometime...pulled a couple of cimmarons.  I honestly wouldnt compare the two except in price.  Both are expensive but in MY opinion they are not really the same trailer.  Just wanted to say that.
horsecamper
Reg. Sep 2008
Posted 2010-01-18 12:06 PM (#115418 - in reply to #115350)

Veteran

horse, I am very impressed by my Elite. The craftsmanship and metal work is awesome and the trailer is everything that the Elite name stands for.  I second the comment made by arrow four. I purchased a 10 foot SW 3 horse from a private party. Prior to purchase, I told the seller that I had a 3/4 ton SRW as a tow rig and asked him what he thought about my truck pulling that particular trailer. He responded that his Dad had pulled his trailer with a 3/4 ton and he said that his Dad had no problem at all and said that he didn't even know it was behind him and that it was easier to pull than their stock trailer. Of course, my unspoken response was, "Yeah, right, you're the seller talking".  I was nervous about the trailer when I picked it up. But, surprisingly, my truck sat no lower with this trailer than it did with my 6ft LQ 2H Featherlite??? The Elite was even a bit nose high. But, the biggest surprise was how the Elite pulled.  I have heard the "didn't even know it was behind me" comment before, but, could never believe it.  I've pulled my fair share of all manner and stripe of trailers, but nothing like this.  Initially, to me, this trailer was so disconcertingly smooth pulling that is was almost creepy.  I had just never pulled this level of quality before and didn't know what it felt like.  The folks at Elite do put out a fine trailer!
donnat
Reg. Feb 2005
Posted 2010-01-18 3:39 PM (#115424 - in reply to #115350)

horsesx6.....sent you a private message. 

Donna

nd deb
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2010-01-19 8:35 AM (#115439 - in reply to #115350)

Veteran

There's nothing that I don't like about my Elite...  I ordered mine from Sean at Denny's trailers in Wycoff Mn.  Sharp looking quality trailer.  Sean was great to work with.  Mine is 7 tall 8 wide and 28 ft long and my f250 extended cab pulls it just fine.  It is like it isn't back there.   It just floats...  The quality really sticks out in it. 
arrowfour
Reg. Jan 2010
Posted 2010-01-20 9:22 PM (#115529 - in reply to #115350)

Yes, Farrells is no longer in business. Bad deal...

I think the welds on an Elite would be hard to beat. I think it is the best on the market- my opinion for sure...But-everyone gets what they like which is good. Also, resale on Elite is good which I found out when I was able to sell my other 2008 - 4 horse with 4ft short wall.

bigch
Reg. Jan 2010
Posted 2010-01-20 9:30 PM (#115530 - in reply to #115396)

New User

so are you saying the cimmaron doesn't compare, is not as good as the elite?
nd deb
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2010-01-21 7:42 AM (#115537 - in reply to #115350)

Veteran

Here are pics of my trailer...   the only thing I sort of regret is not making it 7'6" or 8 ft tall so I would have more room in the neck and then having a lite switch in the lq part and then a switch to put lites on in the back by the walkthru door.  We plan on finishing it out our selves so that is why they didn't put a lite switch in the lq.   I had the neck dropped so it is roomier then the neck that I had in my Titan.. 

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=65283&id=742331917&l=e26ce73c46

I love the trailer...  pulls great.. It is a 4 but I made the slant wall a striaght wall so I could fit my vis a vis carriage and a horse in the back.  Because of the striaght wall,  the first stall is pie shaped and I use it as a midtack.  The rack is removable and can be placed to the rear tack.  The rear tack is collapsable..  I can haul up to 5 horses in it easily if I want to. 

nd deb
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2010-01-21 7:51 AM (#115538 - in reply to #115350)

Veteran

We put a ramp on the butt side in the first stall because hubby wanted to haul snowmobiles and his Harley in it.  This way we didn't have to back them out.  It works out great thou for corral panels for trail rides.  He had made 8 ft panels and they fit right in along the divider.  The divider int he first stall is a full one. Works pretty smooth in walking the panels in thru the ramp door and placing them along the divider.   Surpisingly the ramp is about 100o.oo added to the cost of the trailer.  We originally wanted to put one on the back to roll the carriage in but figured to same us some money and build something that wasn't fixed to the trailer that we could easily use.  Currently have been using 2 wooden planks and it has worked pretty well.   Originally was looking at getting a slide in it and after finding out that that option added 10 k to the trailer we dropped that idea... 
Trails02
Reg. Feb 2005
Posted 2010-01-21 12:22 PM (#115551 - in reply to #115396)

Regular

threeman   

We too are looking at Elite vs Cimmeron. As to your post would you explain which one you preferred and why. Really would like to here from someone who has experience with both. Really interested in the pulling difference. Thanks

Edited by Trails02 2010-01-21 12:24 PM
dtranch
Reg. Jan 2010
Posted 2010-01-22 11:20 AM (#115591 - in reply to #115350)

New User

Hi Everyone- just wanted to introduce ourselves....We are a Elite dealer down in Weatherford, Tx, Durham Trailer Ranch, and are still in full swing down here. We have been in business for 10 years and would be happy to help you with you Elite trailer needs or questions. We are also a Bloomer dealer. Please let us know if you need any assistance with your sales, service, or financing trailer needs!! http://www.durhamtrailers.com/

Edited by dtranch 2010-01-25 1:31 PM
threeman
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2010-01-22 2:17 PM (#115597 - in reply to #115551)

Extreme Veteran

I know dealers pretty well of each one very well.  Both agree that Elite is definately a top tier trailer.  Cimmaron dealer states its made as well but will tell you its not an elite.  So go figure?  I have never understood that really.

I am not downing it (cimmaron) and neither is he.  And NO I will not say who the dealer is.  The Cimmaron in my opinion just isnt built the same (as heavy duty) as the elite.  If you inspect you will see very quickly what I mean.  I would also say the aluminum extrusions on the cimmaron in my opinion are not quite the same thickness or quality as the elite.  The elite is pretty darn heavy on the extrusions.

Pulling depends soley on the balance of the trailer.  I pulled a bloomer once that pulled like no other.  It was great.  The elite i have now is heeaavvvyy on the tongue.  I told elite it was going to be but they are the all knowing (or so they say) in the engineering department.  The axles should have been at least 6" forward and it would probably be good.  The cimmaron pulled good as well honestly no complaints.  The previous elite trailers i have owned have been good too.  No complaints about pulling.  I would drive with them comfortably at 80 if needed.  You also do not have to really worry about the elite coming apart at that type of speed for days at the time.  All trailers cannot handle constant day in and day out pulling.  Top tier trailers are made for that.  Others are designed for the weekender type folks that pull couple times a month, so to speak.

I will say the 05 elite i had was the best.  After that elite mades some changes to little things in my opinion that were not good.  Conveniences were sacrificed over cost is my opinion about why it changed.  You could still get it but you had to pay.  Latches changed, hinge pins changed, lights changed.  Again i have one now and I am not bashing just somethings they could take to heart and listen to customers who are pulling alot. 

I have not owned another top tier make so I dont know for sure about others load lights, but on my 07 elite it constantly has issues with load lights working or not working.  I could fix yeah but man that takes time.  Something I dont have extra of.  The 05, and 06 were flawless.  Other than occassional switch going out.  I have never seen someone elses load lights go out as mine do.  The rear doesnt work now at all.  I have got to fix that for sure.  The rear tack lights in most top tier trailers is also a JOKE (capital so maybe they will read this).  Why on earth would you put a tack light on the side of a rear tack that is going to covered by bridle hooks, top saddle on rack, or a blanket bar that is swinging into the tack.  It would make more sense to move it to the rear wall.  You can but no one ever does.  That is not really an elite problem more so mine for not asking to move it until its too late.  The blanket bars on elite if it swings is a joke.  why on earth would you want the blanket bar to swing one way while the door swings the other (only if you have had the door hinged on the center).  If defeated the entire purpose for having it swing from the center.  These are just some things i think elite could improve upon.  Customer service is good.  One guy maybe two in engineering need some ettiquite but other than that they are good at the office. 

Over all the trailers are made like tanks compared to some or most.  I just wanted to tell you that you are not comparing apples to apples with these two.  However in price the cimmaron is just as pricey and a tick under the quality in my opinion in metal, construction, and finish.  Again if balanced they are going to pull good.  LQ will make a difference if they install the taj mahal inside.  Then you may end up being heavy.  Let them know your intentions, all though I did too, the axles are still a tick back to far.  More than you wanted but it just kept coming out.

Hey forgot to say that I would buy what fit the budget NO matter what the price or brand.  The best deal right now is where to go even if its not close to you.  I have bought several from 1000 miles away and have not had any issues in doing so.  You can still get things serviced. 

Edited by threeman 2010-01-22 2:25 PM
BEN
Reg. Jun 2005
Posted 2010-01-22 4:50 PM (#115599 - in reply to #115597)

BEN
Reg. Jun 2005
Posted 2010-01-22 5:00 PM (#115600 - in reply to #115599)

Both are excellent brands to be comparing.  These brands are each engineered with their own set of aluminum extrusions.  Many features of the trailers can be compared.  Both companies custom build trailers to meet the customer's needs.

The two main differences in the trailer is the roof and the floor.  Cimarron uses a 1/2" thick insulated roof.  This roof will keep the trailer cooler in the summer, it will be more quiet than aluminum, and those good ole' Nebraska hail storms will not damage the roof.  Elite uses an aluminum roof.

The floor of a Cimarron Trailer is an aluminum extruded -tongue & groove floor with cross members on 6" centers.  Elite uses aluminum sheets welded to I-beams.

There are several other smaller differences in the two brands, but the roof & floor are the main differences.  Good luck with your trailer shopping!

brushycreekranch
Reg. Jun 2006
Posted 2010-01-23 8:19 AM (#115613 - in reply to #115350)

I arrived at that same conclusion on the Bloomer  trailers with slides! I prefer the 05-06 as well. Traded in the newer body style  and went back a couple of years to get  what a feel was the best year to date.

threeman wrote: The 05, and 06 were flawless

dkhunter04
Reg. Oct 2008
Posted 2010-01-23 10:03 AM (#115616 - in reply to #115350)

Regular

We have a 2008 Elite 3H GN LQ and a 2009 Cimarron 3H BP.  Here are my comparisons.  I prefer the drop down window bars on the Elite.  The Elite hinges are heavier but the Cimarron hinges have grease fittings.  The Cimarron sliding windows all have small knobs on them which makes them easier to close from outside the trailer.  The Cimarron rear tack saddle rack must be taken out before removing all the mats because it fits through a hole cut in one of the mats.  The beams in the floor of the Cimarron have ridges that collect dirt and debris when sweeping or hosing out the horse compartment.  The flat sheet metal floor of the Elite is a little easier to clean.  I feel that the window and door latches on the Elite are a little nicer than those on the Cimarron.  The Elite came with a camper door latch on the first stall escape door.  The chest bar interfers with that latch on the inside of the trailer making it hard to shut the door when it is in place.  Since we very seldom haul three horses in the Elite this really isn't a problem for us.   Just some small items to look at when making your choice.  You should be happy with either brand.  BOL
horsesx6
Reg. Dec 2009
Posted 2010-01-23 10:41 AM (#115619 - in reply to #115350)

thanks everyone for your comments,Iwas leaning toward  a Cimarron but seems the Elite has a lot of fans.  Are there any Cimarron fans.  Also anyone have any problems with mangers in the Elites or Cimarrons?