trailer buying checklist?
sweetas
Reg. Dec 2009
Posted 2010-01-11 9:01 AM (#115115)
Subject: trailer buying checklist?

Regular

We have been looking at LQ horse trailers, and are now ready to look seriously (we got the truck we need to pull the size LQ we want!). We will be going back to look at 2 that have features we want. Is there a checklist somewhere of all the things we should look at? I know it can get "exciting" when you're there and the owner is talking and you forget to check something out.Here are some of the things I have on my list:-check capacity of axles and tires- inspect condition of tires- inspect under frame, length of trailer- inspect axles- inspect flooring in horse area under all mats - using flashlight, inspect floor inside all cabinets/closets for damage, particularly water damage- run water from all taps- run water pump from tank- operate jack from batteries (what else do I need to run from the battery source?)- check all light switches - operate furnace- operate hot water- operate AC- operate microwave- operate stove top burners- refrigerator - cold?- measure each stall-open/operate each door - drop windows, manger doors, loading doors.- operate awning- using ammeter check outlets (what do I check for here?)What am I missing? Do most try hooking up the trailer and actually pulling it to see how it hauls? Do you take it someplace and have it checked? What do you ask to be checked?Thanks!!
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
sweetas
Reg. Dec 2009
Posted 2010-01-11 9:03 AM (#115116 - in reply to #115115)
Subject: RE: trailer buying checklist?

Regular

Sorry - when I originally posted, it typed it out as a bullet point list. It didn't show up that way. I hope folks will still take the time to look over my list and offer help!
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2010-01-11 9:21 AM (#115117 - in reply to #115115)

Expert

Open and close every window and door. Check the hinges and latches for wear and security. Get a ladder and look at the roof. Inspect the AC and all the protruding vents and antennas for any visual damage. Check all of the lighting, interior and exterior and if they have a meter, the voltage of the batteries with the shore cord disconnected.

Look under the mattress and feel for any water infiltration from leaking windows.

Before you leave, and when you're hooked up, you should check the brakes.

You have a good check list. BOL  Gard

CTRider
Reg. Sep 2009
Posted 2010-01-11 9:34 AM (#115118 - in reply to #115115)

Extreme Veteran

First I am going to ask if you are looking at used trailers and buying from a dealership ? If so, then they should have gone over the trailer for a checkpoint servicing just like a car dealer would, making sure everything works. They would be obligated to disclose anything amiss, such as a tear in the awning, and should offer a warranty that everything works if the trailer has no original warranty left.  I had a list of the amenities I wanted and which ones I just had to have and which ones were nice, but I could do without. We bought the trailer I wrecked from a dealership. It was a 2 year old trade show demo and they sold it with a full warranty. Just because you try something once doesnt mean it works. After we got it  home we discovered the fridge shut off after about 12 hours. Took it to an RV dealer since where we bought it was 225 miles away. Discovered the inverter was bad and they replaced it with the dealership paying for the repairs. If you are buying from an individual then about the best you can do is try everything before you sign the check. You can always have a checkpoint done at a dealership. Having a list of amenities you want is helpful to check off because like you say, in the excitement you tend to overlook stuff. My friend bought a brand new trailer off the lot and in her confusion and excitement of looking at so many trailers at once she somehow bought the one that did not have a vanity in the bathroom. She just remember she liked its color scheme. Got it home and no vanity. LOL  Its just her and her daughter staying in it so not that big a deal to brush teeth at the sink, but still would of been nice to have the vanity and mirror. So make sure you check to see that it has all you want along with it all working.
sweetas
Reg. Dec 2009
Posted 2010-01-11 4:58 PM (#115128 - in reply to #115115)

Regular

CTRider - that's just the sort of thing I want to avoid... We checked out a truck over the weekend, bought it earlier this week, only to discover that there is no key entry on the passenger side and that the key we have won't unlock the doors (only the fob does). I'm sure it'll be fine, but it makes you feel a little funny that you didn't even notice something like that!Thanks for the additional ideas, guys.
buyshadow
Reg. Jan 2009
Posted 2010-01-11 6:55 PM (#115134 - in reply to #115115)

Regular

We have compiled a very intricate check list for our customers (so when they leave, they have covered all the questions that might pop up!) please shoot me an email and I will be happy to send you a copy! It is a bit too long to post here or I would do so!

Purchasing a horse trailer is like purchasing a home, you need a proper inspection and report to make the right choice! You must look at every nook and crannie and be sure it has all the features you are looking for!

Either send me a private message with your email or email me direct at michele@buyshadow.com :)

Ncatanz
Reg. Jun 2008
Posted 2010-01-12 9:36 AM (#115152 - in reply to #115115)

Veteran

Make sure the spare tire is in good shape and the correct size and has the correct lug nut pattern. Believe it or not, I knew someone who was stuck on the side of a road with a brand new horse trailer with a spare tire that did not fit.

Also, pull the break away switch and make sure it engages the brakes.
To Much Trouble
Reg. Dec 2009
Posted 2010-01-13 7:45 AM (#115191 - in reply to #115115)

Veteran

I agree, look into every cabinet for any kind of water leak / damage, check the hinges of cabinet door, turn on frig, air, water pump, take a flashlight along to look into those dark placed under the sink or around holding tanks, the comment on the spare tires is a GREAT idea..what a nightmare to be stranded with the wrong size spare. Check all the lights..inside and out, AND, a friend of mine purchased a  BRAND NEW trailer from a big name dealer in Indiana...she didn't get 20 miles down the road...and  tire came off...lugs weren't tight...dealer refused to replace  /repair...claimed it was her neglegence...she should have checked them before she drove off the lot...CAN you believe that load of crap !!!   She did sue ..and eventually got re-emimbursed...but that shit just ain't right...   SO, shop with your head NOT your heart..Good Luck and have fun...

sweetas
Reg. Dec 2009
Posted 2010-01-13 9:36 PM (#115256 - in reply to #115115)

Regular

We're looking at a privately owned trailer this weekend, keeping fingers crossed. I will email you this for your list Shadow.I had a Trail-et that I loved dearly (kept it for almost 10 years til we moved overseas), but when it was about 2-3 months old, I had a bearing fail, damaged the axle - not something you'd expect on a brand-new trailer, is it??