LQ trailer weight: actual vs. GVWR
farhaven
Reg. Dec 2009
Posted 2009-12-02 8:16 PM (#113867)
Subject: LQ trailer weight: actual vs. GVWR

New User

Hello! thanks in advance for your advice to this newbie!

Has anybody ever actually *weighed* their LQ trailer?  Is it even close to the GVWR listed on the trailer?

A new 3H 10' SW LQ aluminum gooseneck with no slideout weighed in at 12,200 lbs, about a hundred pounds over the GVWR listed on this trailer. Tongue wt was 3540 lbs. This is an empty weight, no horses, no feed/food/water tanks etc. The trailer has a generator, bigger than standard size horse stalls, full LQ with fridge, shower, sink, dinette, etc. Now, if you add 3 horses and some feed and supplies, this trailer would probably weigh about 16#K. It rides on two 7000 lb rated axles.

So, my questions:  

Is it common for LQ trailers to weigh more than the weight stated on the GVWR plate?

Or did the manufacturer err when it printed the plate?

Is this trailer too heavy for its axles?

any other comments concerns?

Thanks much! appreciate your replies.

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
laurie
Reg. Jun 2004
Posted 2009-12-02 8:51 PM (#113868 - in reply to #113867)
Subject: RE: LQ trailer weight: actual vs. GVWR

Extreme Veteran

I had the same questions and called the manufacter and I am going off memory. But your axles are 7000 pds each so that is 14K plus some of that weight is on the gooseneck and not all on the axles. I must say I was suprised to see how heavy yours is empty as I have basically the same trailer but 8' LQ and I am in the 8K range empty. Also some of my tag was hard to read and it looked like the info was wrong but when I looked closer it made sense.
figero
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2009-12-02 8:58 PM (#113870 - in reply to #113867)

Regular

Trailer Manufacturers use a formula (depending on Manufacturer).  They take the axle rating, i.e. 7,000 lbs x two or 14,000 lbs times usually 20% to 25% (some go higher depending on axle location) for tongue weight or 14,000 x 1.25% = 17,500 for the GVWR of the trailer. The thought is the truck is carrying 3,500 lbs of the trailer. This a NATM formula that the DOT accepts

aegnc
Reg. Sep 2007
Posted 2009-12-02 9:50 PM (#113874 - in reply to #113867)

I don't think there is a standard for how a trailer manufacturer calculates GVWR.  My 4H Bloomer with a 16'SW and slide has a GVWR of 16K.  The trailer can weigh quite a bit more than that if fully loaded, however it has two 8K axles, so that's how Bloomer calculated the GVWR.

In my opinion using the max axle rating as the GVWR makes sense because the trailer tires/axles are what you're concerned about going down the road.  If you ever get pulled over and weighed, they'll take the total measured trailer axle weights and compare it to the trailers GVWR.  They won't unhook the trailer from the truck to determine the pin weight, because the pin weight is part of the truck (and should fall within the weight carrying capability of the truck, i.e. truck axles should be less than truck's GVWR).  That's where most GVWR issues come into play.

luckysid1
Reg. May 2009
Posted 2009-12-03 12:33 AM (#113878 - in reply to #113874)

The big problem is different states use different standards. If a manufacturer lowers the GVWR to be gross axle rating. You can stay under CDL weights. a 16,000 lb trailer can be hooked up to a 9900 lb rated truck and the combined weight would fall under the 26,001 lb weight that would require a CDL. And if you are unaware of that problem do a search on this web site.  Figero is correct that is a NATM standard.
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2009-12-03 9:06 AM (#113885 - in reply to #113867)

Expert

The accepted pin weight of a GN trailer, 20%-25%, is a crap shoot concerning accuracy. Many larger LQs can actually increase the pin weight, up to as high as 40%. Add slide outs, an 8' wide box, fireplace, fancy ceilings and counter tops, custom cabinetry etc., and your pin weights will dramatically increase past the 25% mark.

I would think that the trailer manufactures who complete their own LQ conversions, could provide an accurate weighing of the finished product. A manufacturer that does not do so, would have no knowledge of what is being installed after the trailer leaves their plant. Each conversion company and each of their customer's, has individual ideas about what is best for his trailer. This can result in infinite installation variables, and finalized trailer weights.

The type and amount of accessories can quickly change the overall weight of a standard trailer. Mangers, stall ceiling liners, werm flooring, ducted air and furnaces, water and holding tanks, fancy ceilings are only a few of the variables that can effect weight changes.

Gard