bearings packed on new trailer
yvienna
Reg. Jul 2008
Posted 2009-11-25 7:26 AM (#113607)
Subject: bearings packed on new trailer

Do I need to have the bearings packed on my new trailer ( I have had it for one year but only used about 10 times- short distances only)?  Is this required every year no matter what the usage?

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2009-11-25 8:53 AM (#113610 - in reply to #113607)
Subject: RE: bearings packed on new trailer

Expert

It would be a good idea to have the bearings inspected when you take delivery of any new trailer, or used trailer new to you. We bought a new trailer and found a couple of months later, that one side had no grease. The spindles and bearings were burnt and shot. All the bearings and spindle on one side had to be replaced. If we had made a long trip at high speeds, the bearings would have seized, shearing the spindles and dropping the wheels.

Depending on your local motor vehicle codes, will determine if you are required to have an annual safety inspection. If you do, they will be checked as a matter of course.

Most manufacturers will state that a yearly inspection is required. However, unless you pull the trailer 30 -40k a year, it's unlikely that a properly packed bearing will actually need attention that often. In the old days of pre front wheel drive cars, the front wheel bearings were often repacked at 50K. They were the same tapered roller bearings commonly used in your trailer.

Short trips adding up to 20K make take a couple of years. Unless the hubs are totally submerged in water or mud, there is no reason to expect any abnormal wear on the bearings. I use "Bearing Buddies" on most of my trailers. The newest trailer has not had the drums pulled for three years, the longest I travel between inspections is five years. I've never had a bearing failure with this system, even in a marine environment.

Being overly cautious is better than not doing any maintenance. Some places charge as high as a couple hundred dollars for the service. I would definitely have it done soon, and then determine what direction you want to take in the future.

Gard

brew26
Reg. May 2009
Posted 2009-11-25 8:55 AM (#113611 - in reply to #113607)

Veteran

I've had my trailer for almost 9 years and I've put alot of miles on it and I don't think I have ever had my bearing packed. On my living quarters trailer which I've had for almost 4 I know I haven't had those packed. In your case I would say your just waisting money if you had them repacked.
wyndancer
Reg. Apr 2007
Posted 2009-11-25 10:42 AM (#113616 - in reply to #113607)

Extreme Veteran

I think gard is giving some good advice. This trailer has never had a hub off, so I'd be inclined to do a service on it...in order for MY peace of mind.

Then, I'd let it ride for a couple years before I'd worry about it again.
lesliemal
Reg. Sep 2007
Posted 2009-11-25 10:44 AM (#113617 - in reply to #113607)

Extreme Veteran

IMHO, I would at least have the wheels/bearings inspected. They probably will not need repacking, but better safe than sorry.
Kay
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2009-11-25 11:27 AM (#113618 - in reply to #113607)

Extreme Veteran

You guys keep us in business.  Thanks.  We highly recommend that boat trailers be repacked once a year, and other trailers based on mileage and the conditions under which it is used.  Haven't you noticed boats sitting on the side of the road with a wheel off, especially in the early summer?  Gard, I would have expected you to promote more frequent maintenance. 

We pack wheels for a flat rate of $20.00 per wheel.  (8k axles and under)  That means removing the bearings, cleaning all old grease off bearings and races, inspecting, and repacking in new grease.  Since the hubs are pulled off the spindle, this is an opportunity to visually inspect the brake assemblies and note any existing, developing or potential problems.  We will not reuse old seals, but most seals are under $2 each.  This takes 1-1/2 to 2 hours, and is not a profitable service for us.  However, rarely do we just pack wheels on a trailer.  Usually there is some electrical work or other repair.

We see so many instances where a trip or a weekend or a scheduled job is ruined by bearing failure.  Trailers pulling in with missing hubs are quite common.  It is a lucky day when the spindle is not ruined and just a hub and bearings solves the problem.

We also love EZ lube axles, the type of axle of any brand that has a grease zerk in the middle.  Most of the trailers we sell have this type of axle.  They are great when used correctly, but misuse is rampant.  When too much grease is pumped in, it can blow the seal out and pack your brake assemblies solid with grease.  It takes about an hour to degrease the assembly and the hub and then the shoes are usually compromised and prone to come apart.  Also, you never see the bearings.   Like I said, job security.

I didn't mean to rant and rave, but it just seems much better economically to do good maintenance instead of risking a hub or even axle beam replacement.

Kay
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2009-11-25 11:29 AM (#113619 - in reply to #113607)

Extreme Veteran

By the way, you can't inspect bearings without repacking them.  You can't even see them until you get the old grease off.
flyinghfarm
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2009-11-25 12:14 PM (#113621 - in reply to #113607)

Expert

Absolutely have them inspected and hand repacked.  We also, had a brand new trailer that had dang warm hubs when we pulled it home, the builder said they must be getting properly run in (?) and after another run, we just had a local shop pull em in our presence......there were 2 hubs that did not have enough grease in there to butter a bean....every trailer we get,new or used, gets the hubs/bearings inspected and repacked every year.......cheap insurance for peace of mind. 
Kay
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2009-11-25 12:30 PM (#113622 - in reply to #113607)

Extreme Veteran

Part of our "prep" when a new trailer is sold is to pull the hubs and check to be sure there is the proper amount of grease present.  A few years ago after a run of inadequately greased hubs, we contacted Dexter (most of our new trailers have Dexter drive trains) and expressed our concern.  Another tablespoon or so of grease would have been enough to make us feel better, but it did not seem to be an issue with them.   We have in the past year found two big oil bath hubs with metal shavings in the oil.  No explanation for that.  In defense of the trailer manufacturers, they buy the axle with brake assemblies and hubs in place.  They expect it to be ready to use, and do not have any reason to take the hubs off.  Most new trailers then travel hundreds of miles to the dealers, usually without incident.  We just like to know that when it leaves our lot, it is in the best condition possible.
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2009-11-25 1:06 PM (#113623 - in reply to #113618)

Expert

Originally written by Kay on 2009-11-25 12:27 PM

You guys keep us in business.  Thanks.  We highly recommend that boat trailers be repacked once a year, and other trailers based on mileage and the conditions under which it is used.  Haven't you noticed boats sitting on the side of the road with a wheel off, especially in the early summer?  Gard, I would have expected you to promote more frequent maintenance. .

KAY

Since we have recommended Bearing Buddies and synthetic grease to our customers, none of them have had any further bearing failures in a marine environment. The bearings are always free of water, the grease is clean and dry, the seals are not compromised, and the hubs will not suck moisture as they are cooled down while completely submerged in water. The only yearly maintenance, is the addition of a small amount of grease to the zerk fitting, to replenish the reservoir.

Sorry, but you haven't  seen any of my boats or those of our customers on the side of the road. Nor have you seen any other of my several trailers. You and the marina, will also not have them as a yearly customer.

You're quite correct about cleaning a bearing before it can be inspected. Unfortunately this important step is often neglected. I've watched shops claiming to repack bearings, do so, by smearing clean grease over the old dirty grease and reinstall the bearing. To properly clean, repack a bearing, replace a seal, torque the axle nut and install the safety cannot be done in a few minutes. It takes almost a half an hour per wheel, and at today's shop rates, can add up to a hefty bill.

I'm all for proper and proactive maintenance. I made a living doing so on a professional level, where many lives routinely depended on my abilities. I don't favour unnecessary maintenance, particularly that which is prescribed by people, who stand to monetarily benefit from an erroneous recommendation.

Do you still change your oil every 3K? That unnecessary advise is currently promoted by everyone who changes oil for a living. Even the auto makers don't agree with that. Would I be I wrong to recommend an extended mileage oil change, based on the type of oil and the service in which the vehicle is used? Did you notice that I stated the manufacturer's recommendations, before I explained mine?

Your statement  "and other trailers based on mileage and the conditions under which it is used." echoes what I said.

I do whatever is necessary for the longevity and reliability of the vehicle I'm working on. The safety of my family is paramount, and I will do nothing to jeopardize their well being. To date my efforts have worked quite well.

Gard

Kay
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2009-11-25 1:21 PM (#113625 - in reply to #113607)

Extreme Veteran

Gard, I didn't mean to ruffle your feathers, hope I haven't.  You are always so much on top of things that I was surprised at your first statement.  Bearing Buddies are great, we sell them too.  The problem is getting folks to use them correctly.  You know, the "if a little is good, a lot is better".
wyndancer
Reg. Apr 2007
Posted 2009-11-25 1:53 PM (#113628 - in reply to #113607)

Extreme Veteran

Ya know, if if backed my horse trailer into the water, to get the horses out, I'd probably re-pack yearly.
flyinghfarm
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2009-11-25 5:16 PM (#113635 - in reply to #113607)

Expert

Amazingly enough, some of the trail rides and hunts we go to, require some off road travel and some creek crossings!  Dang!  BTW, in 40 years of pulling trailers of many types, have never had one have a bearing go bad going down the road...

Pmoore
Reg. Jul 2008
Posted 2009-11-26 7:44 AM (#113650 - in reply to #113607)

By all means repack those bearings, Several years ago we had made a custom trailer, inspected it during the manufacturing period were very confident how well it was made, had it just a few months and a bearing seized, fortunatly my Brother in law was following us and got my Husband to pull over just as the tire came off, long story short limped home (nowhere to find a bearing on Sat. evening) checked the others and they were cheap china made bearings found of the three others two were dry and would have also given problems very soon. Now are religous about checking and repacking yearly.

Pat Moore

cowgirldi
Reg. Feb 2009
Posted 2009-11-26 12:45 PM (#113660 - in reply to #113607)

I agree totally with PMoore. A few years ago, driving home from Shawnee Forest, my rear wheel started smoking. Made it to my friends by Springfield. Thinking it was the brakes locking up, reset controller and started to drive out of her farmyard, the entire wheel and hub fell off ! Thank god I wasn't on my 500 mile trip home yet! Had to call a towing company, it was a Sunday, nobody around. Did get it in Monday, and 450 bucks later, a new hub assembly, and towing, I was back on the road. We always had the bearings checked every year, but that year, I had not hauled the trailer much, so let it go. NEVER AGAIN!!!! Even if your trailer is newer, have them checked. Ya just never know!!
tom-tom
Reg. Feb 2008
Posted 2009-11-26 6:38 PM (#113664 - in reply to #113607)

Extreme Veteran

If you keep a close check on your tires and bearings you will have a good idea of whats going on.  I always walk around my trailers after a decent length road trip.  If a  bearing starts to feel warm is their a reason for it?  Were you overloaded or doing heavy braking, etc.  Then at the next stop check and see if anything has changed.  You should be able to tell how urgently they need repacking.  I haven't had a bearing failure, but have bought a couple of trailers that needed repacking from the dealership. I have seen a friend in front of me lose a wheel on a major highway and it was not a fun experience, but they never checked their bearings.  They do now. 

brushycreekranch
Reg. Jun 2006
Posted 2009-11-28 7:42 AM (#113693 - in reply to #113607)

I hope you didn't just jinx yourself......

flyingh wrote: Amazingly enough, some of the trail rides and hunts we go to, require some off road travel and some creek crossings!  Dang!  BTW, in 40 years of pulling trailers of many types, have never had one have a bearing go bad going down the road...

Roger
Reg. Feb 2005
Posted 2009-11-30 4:43 PM (#113762 - in reply to #113607)

You should service your axles every year unless your trailer is used very little. Inspecting bearings is only part of the process. Your brakes need to be adjusted, cleaned and checked for damage as well. I have found more damage due to broken springs and adjusters as well as worn magnets than I have bearing problems witch can be just as dangerous as a blown bearing. A shorted magnet cause you to loose all brakes at once.

I would rather a tire come off than to loose my brakes going down mountain side thats for sure.

Edited by Roger 2009-11-30 4:47 PM
dgeesaman
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2010-01-30 9:30 AM (#115912 - in reply to #113607)

Regular

I'm resurrecting this thread for a question: what synthetic bearing grease is ideal? I have access to tubes of mobil shc 460, shc 100, and don't mind buying something else specific.
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2010-01-30 10:46 PM (#115943 - in reply to #115912)

Expert

The Mobil synthetic greases, will work very well as a wheel bearing grease. The SHC 460 is specifically intended for wheel bearings while the SHC 100 is not. You have access to a good product. You need not have to look any further.

Gard

Edited by gard 2010-01-30 10:48 PM
dgeesaman
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2010-01-31 6:30 AM (#115950 - in reply to #113607)

Regular

Thanks. I will see if I can find a tube or two of the 460. SHC 100 actually was designed for wheel bearing on aircraft which is really about cold start performance.
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2010-01-31 7:09 AM (#115951 - in reply to #115950)

Expert

It's tough on bearings that are not moving and frozen solid for hours, to suddenly have hundreds of tons of pressure slammed upon them, as they are instantly spun up to 150 MPH. Then they are super heated by multiple plate disc brakes, and brought to a complete stop, where the grease and bearings continue to bake. Then they are spun up to about 140 MPH, stopped, and again frozen.

This happens many times every day.

The synthetic greases certainly improve the bearings' longevity. Without them, the maintenance would be drastically increased with multiple bearing failures. Those same greases, used in a trailer, will ensure a long bearing life.

"Mobilith SHC 100 is an antiwear and extreme pressure grease primarily recommended for higher speed applications such as electric motors, where reduced friction, low wear and long service life are required. It is an NLGI 2 Grade / ISO VG 100 grease with a synthetic base fluid. Its operating temperature range is -40º C* to 150º C"

Edited by gard 2010-01-31 7:13 AM
aegnc
Reg. Sep 2007
Posted 2010-01-31 11:30 AM (#115957 - in reply to #113607)

Dexter currently offers three different bearing configurations in their axle/hub assemblies.  These include the "standard", E-Z Lube, and Nev-R-Lube, and they have different inspection/maintenance requirements (see link).  This could lead to confusion depending on what type is being used on a trailer.  The Nev-R-Lube can't be repacked, but end play should be inspected yearly, and replacement is recommended every 5yr/100k miles.

http://dexteraxle.com/i/u/1080235/f/6-8K_Service_Manual_3-08/Hubs__Drums____Bearings_2-08.pdf

CTRider
Reg. Sep 2009
Posted 2010-02-01 9:18 AM (#115998 - in reply to #113607)

Extreme Veteran

When we bought a new LQ trailer this year, it had been hauled from the manufacturer in Oklahoma to a dealership in Pennsylvania, to Ohio QH congress and then to us here in Texas. So we figured it had been hauled enough, although new, to check and grease the bearings, which we did. Another thing I dont see mentioned that you should definatly check on a regular basis is the lug nuts. Even on a "new" trailer. My husband is a diesel mechanic and so has a torque wrench and I suggested before I pulled the trailer that it had been enough miles to retorque the lugs. Glad I did as a few of them were only hand tight. Most dont know but new trailers are supposed to have the lugs retorqued after a certain number of tow miles.
conner
Reg. Feb 2010
Posted 2010-02-06 12:17 AM (#116200 - in reply to #113607)

Buddy Bearings and Accu-Lube hubs are a joke!! You tear down a hub, clean and repack the inner and outer bearings then install a new seal. After the new seal is installed you partially fill the inter belly of the hub with grease. If done properly that hub can not stand any more grease. If you shoot grease in the buddy bearing or accu-lube spindle and it over fills then you blow the rubber out of the seal and the grease will run out. If it is a brake hub then you have grease getting on the brake shoes and magnet. Some folks think that grease cert in a buddy bearing is like a grease cert on a tractor and just keep shooting grease. Makes a terrible mess and costs more to get repaired and cleaned up!! Properly repack and leave um alone!!
dgeesaman
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2010-02-06 9:06 AM (#116206 - in reply to #113607)

Regular

Well I got started on ours.

As with the last time I had removed the wheels, the lug nuts were anything but loose. Even with penetrating oil I had to fight them off with every turn. I'm shocked the threads are not damaged.

My trailer has a 10x2.5 dexter axle, which had bearing pieces from China, Slovakia, and Romania. The grease was still ok but there was the beginning of spalling on the inner bearing. I went to the local bearing supply place and they got me all replacement Timkens and SKF oil seals. For those of you who aren't machinery designers, I'm putting good pieces in place of crappy ones. I'll be using the synthetic grease.

This post could have been about the completion of the project but with 2' of snow in southern PA that's not happening for several days at least.
hosspuller
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2010-02-06 4:27 PM (#116220 - in reply to #116206)

Expert

Originally written by dgeesaman on 2010-02-06 9:06 AM

Well I got started on ours.

As with the last time I had removed the wheels, the lug nuts were anything but loose. Even with penetrating oil I had to fight them off with every turn. I'm shocked the threads are not damaged.

The threads of the lug nuts might be "damaged". After a session with an over eager Neaderthal with an impact gun the lug nut's tapered seat squeezes the ID. Run the correct tap through the lugnut to fix the problem. This fixed the lugnuts of my trailer.
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2010-02-06 9:06 PM (#116227 - in reply to #116206)

Expert

Originally written by dgeesaman on 2010-02-06 10:06 AM

Well I got started on ours. As with the last time I had removed the wheels, the lug nuts were anything but loose. Even with penetrating oil I had to fight them off with every turn. I'll be using the synthetic grease. .

If you put a dab of grease on each wheel stud before you reinstall the wheels, you will attain a better torque figure and the nuts won't rust to the studs.

gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2010-02-06 9:18 PM (#116228 - in reply to #116200)

Expert

Originally written by conner on 2010-02-06 1:17 AM

Buddy Bearings and Accu-Lube hubs are a joke!! If you shoot grease in the buddy bearing or accu-lube spindle and it over fills then you blow the rubber out of the seal and the grease will run out.

You obviously have no knowledge about the reservoir of a bearing buddy, what it is, how it is used or to what capacity. Since the introduction of Bearing Buddies, the marine field has been blessed with much fewer bearing failures due to water intrusion. At one time, the bearings had to be repacked after every immersion. Now its every several years. Many trailer manufacturers are now installing them as standard equipment.

The trailer owners using Bearing Buddies can now enjoy a reliable trailer with little maintenance. Joke? Hardly

dgeesaman
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2010-02-06 10:59 PM (#116233 - in reply to #116227)

Regular

Originally written by gard on 2010-02-06 9:06 PM

Well I got started on ours. As with the last time I had removed the wheels, the lug nuts were anything but loose. Even with penetrating oil I had to fight them off with every turn. I'll be using the synthetic grease. .

If you put a dab of grease on each wheel stud before you reinstall the wheels, you will attain a better torque figure and the nuts won't rust to the studs.

"a better torque figure" = stretched lug studs. With 50% less friction you can easily yield them. If you're going to grease or never-seize them you have to back down on the torque.

My plan is to chase the threads of the studs and replace the lug nuts.

gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2010-02-07 1:26 PM (#116242 - in reply to #116233)

Expert

Originally written by dgeesaman on 2010-02-06 11:59 PM

"a better torque figure" = stretched lug studs. With 50% less friction you can easily yield them.

A "better torque figure" means, that a wet torque figure is more accurate and delivers a more consistent torque than a dry assembly. If you use a wet torque, it is a common practice to reduce the stated load figures by 10-15%. Some assemblies are only rated at a wet torque value, but a dry assembly, unless specifically prohibited, can be assembled wet with much more accurate results. It also allows a much easier disassembly.

dgeesaman
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2010-02-07 3:41 PM (#116246 - in reply to #116242)

Regular

Originally written by gard on 2010-02-07 1:26 PM
Originally written by dgeesaman on 2010-02-06 11:59 PM

"a better torque figure" = stretched lug studs. With 50% less friction you can easily yield them.

A "better torque figure" means, that a wet torque figure is more accurate and delivers a more consistent torque than a dry assembly. If you use a wet torque, it is a common practice to reduce the stated load figures by 10-15%. Some assemblies are only rated at a wet torque value, but a dry assembly, unless specifically prohibited, can be assembled wet with much more accurate results. It also allows a much easier disassembly.

10-15% is appropriate for a light oil. It's probably appropriate for most anti-seize products that are a suspension of metal flakes in oil. Light oil dissipates and leaves dry threads before very long.Grease (particularly EP grease) will be much different. I expect it would be highly unpredictable, bad idea.While wet torques might be more consistent in practice, you need a wet torque spec. Unless you perform an experiment to account for the difference, the reality is that we are given a dry torque spec. Clean dry threads might torque less accurately but without an accurate wet torque spec, the conversion to wet torque is at least as bad.

Edited by dgeesaman 2010-02-07 3:45 PM