Whats the weirdest thing you've seen.
Holy350
Reg. Sep 2009
Posted 2009-11-11 6:44 PM (#113046)
Subject: Whats the weirdest thing you've seen.

I posted on an earlier post that I saw a trailer flying down the road with the side escape door flapping open in the breeze.  It got me thinking.  Whats the craziest thing you guys and gals have seen someone else doing with a trailer.   Theres got to be some good stories out there.  Id love to hear some.
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
BlazingCreekBar
Reg. Nov 2008
Posted 2009-11-11 6:54 PM (#113047 - in reply to #113046)
Subject: RE: Whats the weirdest thing you've seen.

Extreme Veteran

A group we occasionally ride with was all arriving one am.  The standard tying to the trailers and tacking up was occurring.  Well a trailer next to us left their horses unattended.  On a long lead.  With the side door open and unsecure.  The closer to the door horse lowered his head to get some grass (I watched the whole thing unfold) he spooked breifly at who knows what.  The lead hooked under the door and sent it flying striaght up off the hinges flipping gracefully in air and landing missing everything.  WOW!  Was All I could mutter.
Sharon
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2009-11-12 1:09 PM (#113083 - in reply to #113046)

Veteran

There are a couple of harness racing tracks in Maine.  It's pretty common to see those guys on the Interstate with all the horses' heads sticking out the drop-down windows.  Whenever I see that, I want to do unspeakable things to the drivers. 

I once saw someone start to drive off with the horse tied to the outside of the trailer.  Thankfully, they looked in their rear-view mirror before getting over 5mph.

I knew one lady who bought a tiny short/skinny old BP trailer with a single butterfly vent in the nose and slats on the sides/rear.  She painted the whole thing (inside and out) dark brown, put plexiglass over all the slatted openings, used old rolling-up conveyor belt for the mats (no shavings), and then wondered why ol' Dobbin' didn't want to get in it. 

Then there's the standard stuff, like hitching a BP trailer LITERALLY to a ball on the bumper of an old truck, instead of to a receiver hitch... or driving down the road with the front of the trailer so much higher/lower than the back that you were afraid they'd dig the bumper/nose right into the pavement.

Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2009-11-12 3:25 PM (#113089 - in reply to #113046)

Expert

We were  at a trail head once.  Most of us had ridden and were lofing around visiting with others.  A trailer pulls in and a camel got out.  My horses have never been bothered by Llamas, cows, mules.  But they didn't like the camel.

The old rancher came by and saw it and said. I'm so glad I saw that thing here in the parking lot.  I would have been puzzling for days, wondering what those tracks were on the trail.

I saw a loose horse lay down and roll near a unhooked ATV/Toyhauler trailer. The horse got cast under the hitch.  As it thrashed and tried to get rolled over, it busted the heck out of the generator and put big horsehoe dents in the trailer side. Eventually the horse cold cocked himself on the tongue and I was able to drag him out from under the tongue before he woke up.

headhunter
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2009-11-12 3:58 PM (#113090 - in reply to #113046)

Elite Veteran

That camel story reminds me of spotting a camel in a pasture across the street from the parking area at a show. I had hauled in with a girlfriend. We pulled in, parked, got out to unload and noticed the camel. Both our horses got tied to the far side of the trailer that day. In between classes we noticed the camel getting frisky and one of us said "the camel is loping in the pasture". To this day that phrase sends us both into giggles.

Changing the topic a little bit but the weirdest thing I have encountered at a horse show was an elephant ride at a county fair set up at the far end of the horse show arena. None of the horses were happy to be at that end of the arena. All day.
jim bob
Reg. Jan 2008
Posted 2009-11-12 4:40 PM (#113091 - in reply to #113046)

Extreme Veteran

Several years ago I had a lady customer whom purchased a new bumper pull trailer from me.  She was a "newbie" to the horse scene, so I went over evrything with her very thoroughly in regards to her new trailer.  I showed her how to hook it on her receiver hitch, and attach tow chains, safety cable, etc.

Several months later she happened to call me and tell me that she had taken the receiver insert and ball out of her truck for about two weeks; and when she put it back in the receiver she turned it upside down.  So, the nut and bolt part of the ball was facing up.  She hooked her trailer on that, and pulled it for 5 miles, AND IT NEVER JUMPED OFF THE NUT !!  She said that somebody at her boarding barn pointed it out to her, or she probably would have kept pulling it!

BlazingCreekBar
Reg. Nov 2008
Posted 2009-11-12 5:14 PM (#113093 - in reply to #113046)

Extreme Veteran

There is one old story buried here either from PaintedPony, GARD or Rentento about a guy who shows up to the trail head with his horse in the back of his pick-up.  Seems I remeber that getting posted last winter some time.
Spin Doctor
Reg. Nov 2008
Posted 2009-11-12 5:41 PM (#113097 - in reply to #113046)

Extreme Veteran

I must be older than dirt..I remember going to rodeo's with the old 1.5 ton 1960ish ford truck with wooden stock racks and jumping the horses in and out (about a 3-4' jump). Still see an occasional horse in the back of the PU around here during branding season. The elephant/camel deals are certainly note worth and been there done that. Rope horses in a "pot" semi mixed in with roping steers would be on the list. Tandem axle trailers became single axle when an axle goes bad. No fenders on trailers are quite common. Will tell one on my brother- was at a roping on the front range-he was getting ready to leave-only way out was thru a 7' gate with 7.6' trailer---he made it and didn't even look back. Have a guy that uses a flatbed for a livestock trailer-he just puts up portable panels on the sides...being in ranch country, you never know how creative a person can be!!!
Holy350
Reg. Sep 2009
Posted 2009-11-12 7:11 PM (#113100 - in reply to #113046)

Jim bob   thats hysterical.    lol
TPenning
Reg. Feb 2008
Posted 2009-11-12 7:20 PM (#113101 - in reply to #113046)

Veteran

The horse in the back of the truck is one I've heard before.  Used to be somewhat common place, I believe, before we all had trailers.  I remember reading an article about a lady who, back in the day, would haul her horse to events in the back of the pickup and unload him, then use the bed of the truck for her bed.  Knowing they would be sharing, she apparently had trained the gelding to do his business on command, thus keeping the truck clean.  Don't remember who it was anymore.

Weirdest thing I've ever seen...there was a trailer at a horse show, parked off in the field for overflow parking.  Brown, steel and rust, 14' bumper hitch.  The top of the trailer had long since rusted away, and it was covered in a canvas tarp held down with twine.  The tarp had lost a battle with a dog, a family of moths, or something, and it looked like a 4 year old had been given the job of tying it down.  The door latch was held closed with a bungie.  The trailer leaned quite markedly to one side. I assumed someone had parked it there and given up on it years before, so you can imagine my surprise when a teenage girl, who'd done quite well all weekend long, showed up on Sunday evening to help her mom hitch the trailer and load her horses in it.  They would have been safer in the back of the truck.

Ncatanz
Reg. Jun 2008
Posted 2009-11-12 8:12 PM (#113103 - in reply to #113046)

Veteran

When I was young, in the '70s my dad build a tin shed on the back of his pick up truck and I would take my horse to local shows in it. Then one day while he was driving home a strong wing picked it right off the back of his pick up, thank God no one was hurt. He finally broke down and bought a $500 bumper pull. Seems pretty strange now but they were all fond memories and I am forever thankful for what he did for me to encourage my horse riding. Ever since then I always wanted a really good trailer. Not a big house, not a fancy car, or any other junk. But I absolutely cherish a well built, safe horse trailer.
AQHA 123
Reg. Oct 2008
Posted 2009-11-12 8:22 PM (#113104 - in reply to #113046)

Veteran

Dad use to tell a story about a guy who hunted the same area as us there in Norther Utah, he'd trained his horse to stand on a snowmobile trailer. He'd haul his horse 10 or 15 miles up to the trail head and it would just stand there calm as can be. People use to make do with what they had. Down the road from my house there was a roper who tied his horse to the trailer while he went into the bar for a drink. One drink turned to two and two to ten. He came out and drove off while the horse was still tied to the side. The poor horse died and the drunk was charged with cruelty to animals. This was in Threeforks, Montana.
ridingarocky
Reg. Aug 2008
Posted 2009-11-12 8:31 PM (#113107 - in reply to #113046)

Elite Veteran

I didn't see this but heard about it.. A guy I knew in my native Louisiana was hauling a horse and the floor of the trailer gave out.. i don't know if he discovered it when he got to where he was going or if someone flagged him down.. i didn't hear for sure how the horse fared, but I'm thinking it died..
tom-tom
Reg. Feb 2008
Posted 2009-11-13 7:33 AM (#113117 - in reply to #113046)

Extreme Veteran

We arrived at a small camp to find a couple of emus living in the run between the camp two turn-out pens.  Needless to say none of the horses were thrilled with the sight, sound or smell of the creatures.  I decided to adddress the issue early in the trip so the next morning before we rode I put my four geldings in the turn-out.  Hay was placed right in front of the fence by the emus.  It took a while for things to calm down, but after about 15 minutes hunger won over the horses and they decided the "big birds" were not going to kill them or eat their hay.   After dealing with the emus the llama she had didn't seem near as scary. 

As far as trailers, we were coming back from a trip and were following another LQ trailer.  One of the wheels came off going down the rode and flew across 5 lanes of busy traffic.  Hit the median wall and rolled for what seemed like forever.  Smoke was boiling off of the tire.  No one hit it.  No horse got hurt.  We pulled over and called for help.  The officer whom arrived happened to be a mounted patrol officer.  He blocked the traffic to retrieve the wheel/tire and brought it back to the owner.  Another trailer took the horses on home and everyone got home safe with almost no damage to the trailer that lost the wheel at 65 mph.  After that weekend we learned how valuable US Rider could be.

Edited by tom-tom 2009-11-13 7:41 AM
Tresvolte
Reg. Feb 2008
Posted 2009-11-13 7:45 AM (#113118 - in reply to #113046)

Back in the 70's, I remember a guy that showed at all the local shows...had a two horse straight load gooseneck....and a Cadillac Sedan de Ville. I can't remember the exact setup on the ball, but it was over the trunk lid. And the big Cadillac that pulled the 4 horse head to tail bumper pull. Swivel tongue just like the 2 horse inlines were. Miley or McQuerry made it. Actually the amount of cars pulling horse trailers at the shows then was huge. One horse trailers, side by sides, two horse inlines were all common. 5 wide, 6 tall on most of the side by sides...we were hauling 16 hand horses in 6 tall trailers. Lean against the door to get it closed. How times change...

And racks in trucks were still fairly common then too.

dblhocker
Reg. Jan 2006
Posted 2009-11-13 8:50 AM (#113120 - in reply to #113046)

Regular

We were on vacation and stopped at a Pizza Hut in Miami, OK. While eating our pizza, my wife and I noticed a Mercury Marquis with the trunk removed pulling a 16' gooseneck stock trailer drive by. Thought that was pretty interesting!
Ncatanz
Reg. Jun 2008
Posted 2009-11-13 10:20 AM (#113123 - in reply to #113046)

Veteran

You can still haul in your pick up trucks if you have mini s

http://www.miniaturehorsehaulersbybob.com/2_horse.html