LQ trailer - do you use it for other types of recreational activities?
gaitedwasfated
Reg. Oct 2009
Posted 2009-10-25 2:57 PM (#112365)
Subject: LQ trailer - do you use it for other types of recreational activities?

My husband and I are in the process of looking at LQ horse trailers to buy. Since my husband isn't a horse person, it is hard for me to justify an expensive LQ trailer just for those few times I'll use it over the course of a year to chauffeur my mare around. But if there were some way we could both use it, then the cost might not be so painful for hubby, and we might get something a little nicer (bigger) as far as the LQ than if it were being purchased for me alone. So I'm wondering if any of you ever use your trailer to go camping or traveling with, without your horses? We wouldn't be hauling ATVs or motorcycles or anything - just going to places where we could hike and fish and so forth. Would that look ridiculous?

Julie
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
retento
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2009-10-25 3:18 PM (#112366 - in reply to #112365)
Subject: RE: LQ trailer - do you use it for other types of recreational activities?

Expert

I have found that most "RV" campgrounds, don't take too kindly to horse trailers with Living Quarters... No matter how nice the trailers are.

Gone
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2009-10-25 4:16 PM (#112368 - in reply to #112365)
Subject: RE: LQ trailer - do you use it for other types of recreational activities?

Elite Veteran

Why not?
gaitedwasfated
Reg. Oct 2009
Posted 2009-10-25 4:46 PM (#112370 - in reply to #112366)

Originally written by retento on 2009-10-25 3:18 PM

I have found that most "RV" campgrounds, don't take too kindly to horse trailers with Living Quarters... No matter how nice the trailers are.

I am curious about this... is it because they think the trailer is going to smell bad or something? I mean, otherwise, why would they care? And I ask this sincerely because I am not experienced with this at all.
tom-tom
Reg. Feb 2008
Posted 2009-10-25 5:23 PM (#112371 - in reply to #112365)

Extreme Veteran

We occasionly go camping in ours with out horses.  You do get some funny looks mainly because  non-horse people don't know what to think.  I know when we camped at a regular campground in the Smokey mtns and the bears raided the garbage cans we didn't hear a thing; however, the people next door in their hybird popup hardsided thingy was scared out of there minds.  We prefer to think our style of trailer as "The Original Toy Hauler".  We've loaded up fishing stuff in the back and had plenty of room.  We don't have a motorcycle but I am looking for a jetski to put in the back.  We also show cattle out of ours.  Talk about some funny looks.  Go to a cow show and show up in a horse trailer, but when the other folks have to go to the hotel and we don't it usually gets a pretty good conversation started.  People never thought about using them that way.  I prefer a horse trailer to a travel trailer any day.  I have seen several rv's torn to shreds on the side of the highway. Those things don't look like they are made out of much.
tico
Reg. Jan 2009
Posted 2009-10-25 5:41 PM (#112372 - in reply to #112365)

I have used my LQ horse trailer for camping without my horses in camp grounds. It was no problem and no one ever looked at us funny. My husband also doesn't ride horses so we pack the bicycles and go camping and enjoy the LQ.
Lea Anne
Reg. Mar 2005
Posted 2009-10-25 5:42 PM (#112373 - in reply to #112365)

Veteran

I have never had any problems going in RV parks with my horsetrailer. My X and I used our Elite to haul the Harley when we went to Daytona and to Sturgis, stayed in RV parks along the way, no problem. They also accomodate an ATV, no problem. This year I attended a Bluegrass festival and was surprized to see a couple other trailers there also. Tell your hubby they also make great moving vans! lol I've moved myself in 9 loads and also moved my daughter into her new home!
retento
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2009-10-25 6:28 PM (#112376 - in reply to #112370)

Expert

Originally written by gaitedwasfated on 2009-10-25 5:46 PM

I am curious about this... is it because they think the trailer is going to smell bad or something? I mean, otherwise, why would they care? And I ask this sincerely because I am not experienced with this at all.

Discussion on here three or two years ago about campgrounds turning down LQ horse trailers.... Any thread older than a year ago is gone. Maybe I'm the only one that remembers the discussion. I have been turned down by several campgrounds at and near the coast of North Carolina... Several private and all of the ones on the National Seashore.... Most of the Mom and Pop RV parks have never been a problem... Maybe they're all hungrier now than they were three years ago. Only place we camp now is at the horse shows for a week or so at the time. No time for vacation and fishing...

paintpaddy
Reg. Mar 2005
Posted 2009-10-25 7:31 PM (#112379 - in reply to #112365)

We use ours for non-horse trips, a lot.

On fishing trips, we collapse the tack and throw an ATV in the horse area. At big time college football weekends, when the weather turns inclement, the horse area makes a wonderful 'party room'.

Makes a great moving van. We've helped our elderly parents move to more managable residences. Helped several of our kids move to their first job. Have helped other friends with their moves.

Is the best hunting shack I've ever had for hunting trips. Beats the heck out of a tent!

mingiz
Reg. Jul 2004
Posted 2009-10-25 7:36 PM (#112380 - in reply to #112365)

Elite Veteran

If your door is on the curb side your ok to pull into a camp site. My door and all hookups are on the road side which has you looking at your neighborhs door .Most rv park hookups are on the drivers side. Unless the campground will let me go into a pull thru the opposite way. Or a freind is next to me...Since they all face one way...
ponytammy
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2009-10-25 7:53 PM (#112381 - in reply to #112365)

Elite Veteran

We use our LQ trailer all the time at RV campgrounds. We have NEVER had a problem with campgrounds not letting us book and stay. We have a very nice LQ, but it is not factory made ,but completed by an individual who does one or two custom trailers at a time. We hear from other campers on how nice the trailer is and they didn't know horse trailers came with all the amenities like an RV.

We take it to Branson several times a year and use the back of the trailer to bring home all the goodies we buy. No one has asked us if it is rated by RIVA. Two weeks ago there were several horse trailers at Silver Dollar City campground and Compton Ridge where we stay.

Only thing I would mention is to make sure that the campground can accomodate the size of the LQ in addition to your truck. We have been in some pretty tight spots trying to get the trailer out of a very hilly, narrow, tree laned campsite. We ask for pull through sites and request a site several feet longer than our trailer to help with getting in and out.

I like sleeping in my own bed and love to be able to bring my little dog with us. Also like the fact that we save money on dining out since we can make any meal in the trailer. We use a crockpot a lot for suppers while we are out shopping, hiking, site seeing or other activities that we do without the horses. You'll be surprised at how ofter you will use your trailer... it's great for visiting relatives too where you can have your own space!

Edited by ponytammy 2009-10-25 7:57 PM
randemtam
Reg. Jun 2007
Posted 2009-10-25 8:16 PM (#112382 - in reply to #112365)

Extreme Veteran

We took ours to Daytona one year. We got some interesting looks as we pulled in and parking was a bit tight but everyone around us was very nice and accomodating. Like one of the posters stated, they didn't know horse trailers came with living quarters. I have a friend who loads hers up with her kayaks and she and her hubby go camping. He doesn't ride. She got the WERM flooring and is very happy with how it cleans up so nicely for when they are not hauling horses.
brushycreekranch
Reg. Jun 2006
Posted 2009-10-25 9:51 PM (#112384 - in reply to #112365)

We stayat  alot of different types of venues without the horses. Most of the time if I am at a BIG show, then the trainer hauls the horse anyway.  We do vacations and carry a golf cart of scooters in the back. Every now and then a campground will  say no horse trailers but I tell them I am not carrying horses , that I am just using the back as a garage and for storage.  We go to alot of touristy areas and stay in the campgrounds. As long as the horse compartment  is clean and has no odor, than no one ever complains. You would be surprised at how many LQ  horse trailers are dedicated ATV or motorcycle trailers! In fact, I was accused of having my big gurl at Sturgis this year! Yup, friends sent me a pic and it matched us pretty close. I get the funny looks when I scoot around on my purple Honda Elite at the HOG rallies!

But, we have had our LQ trailers checked for it's RVIA or T Arnold certifications at several places over the years. Always have had them and never turned away. Although, we had someone with us that could not plug in at one of the campgrounds because all they had were 50 amp service and the park would not let them use an adapter from the trailer 30 amp service to the parks 50 amp.

gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2009-10-25 10:16 PM (#112386 - in reply to #112376)

Expert

Originally written by retento on 2009-10-25 7:28 PM

Originally written by gaitedwasfated on 2009-10-25 5:46 PM

Discussion on here three or two years ago about campgrounds turning down LQ horse trailers.... Any thread older than a year ago is gone. Maybe I'm the only one that remembers the discussion. I have been turned down by several campgrounds at and near the coast of North Carolina... Several private and all of the ones on the National Seashore.... Most of the Mom and Pop RV parks have never been a problem... Maybe they're all hungrier now than they were three years ago. Only place we camp now is at the horse shows for a week or so at the time. No time for vacation and fishing...

Retento, were you thinking of the disagreement over whether camp grounds would only admit RVIA taged trailers?

http://www.horsetrailerworld.com/forum/thread-view.asp?threadid=10314&start=1

Gard

retento
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2009-10-26 2:35 AM (#112391 - in reply to #112365)

Expert

No Gard, I'm talking about a thread from as far back as 2005, 2006... I know, because I'm one of the one's that was turned down by the National Parks Service, and several other camprounds in Eastern N.C..... It was all good until we said we had a HORSE TRAILER!!!! Nope, I don't think so... Sorta like our hair was too long or something...

I know for a fact that two of the campgrounds I was talking about don't exist anymore.... Here's what one's looking like today... http://www.windwarddunesrentals.com/

Campgrounds at the beach in our area are just about extinct... Along with the fishing piers....

brendaclemens
Reg. Jan 2009
Posted 2009-10-26 4:45 AM (#112393 - in reply to #112365)

Regular

I have a 2H Elite w/11' SW LQ that I use when I work for FEMA. I am a disaster housing inspector. I scrub the horse area clean, lift out the divider, add carpet, desk, chair, lamp & all of my computer equipment. Mobile office delux! The walk thru door makes it easy. I feel very safe & am very comfortable. My last set up was a normal travel trailer...I didn't feel safe at all & it was a nice one...I think you could have kicked thru the side..not with my Elite! I kinda feel like I am in a safe :) I haven't had any problems with campgrounds so far, everyone has been very welcoming. The only problem is when I am in the "office area" I miss my horses terribly! For electricity to run all of the equipment, I run a heavy extension strip cord under the back door and to the 110 hook up at the camp, or if I am self contained I run it to the outside plug on the trailer. Works great!
gaitedwasfated
Reg. Oct 2009
Posted 2009-10-26 5:01 AM (#112394 - in reply to #112393)

A portable office- now THAT's something that will get hubby's attention! Love it! Seriously, it's great to hear all the ways in which we could use the trailer. Opens up a lot of possibilities.
HWBar
Reg. Nov 2005
Posted 2009-10-26 5:22 AM (#112395 - in reply to #112365)

Expert

I have camped in ours all over the Central US, in Mom and Pop Campgrounds, State Parks, and Federal Campgrounds, we usually put a golf cart in the rear when we camp this way. I have also camped in it at NASCAR races, and the ocassional fall festival, took my Harley to Daytona in the back of it. If we need to stay all night some where we typically take the trailer. The lack of a RVIA sticker has never come into the conversation with anyone.

ace_014
Reg. Feb 2009
Posted 2009-10-26 7:36 AM (#112400 - in reply to #112365)

Regular

We use ours to camp all over during the summer, our canoe fits in the back. It's great for hunting season the ATV fits in the back.
Pmoore
Reg. Jul 2008
Posted 2009-10-26 7:53 AM (#112401 - in reply to #112365)

We used ours a year or two back to camp at at a state campground in Ky and had no problem, we had cleaned out the back and used it for cots for the kids, we do not have a walk through but did set up a fan in the back and they slept comfortably. We have friends who do the same and have a walk thru and they insulated the back and say the air from up front along with a fan keeps the whole thing very comfortable, I do find the AC up front in our small weekend package is very strong. We have used ours several times to move, once moved a whole kitchen of cabnets diswasher and ect. My husband also moved his big gun safe, loved all the rubber and how stout it is, plus the fact it sits lower to the ground than a uhaul is cool. It has come in handy for lots of reasons more than once, My husband does not do the horse thing much any more but has no problem with us having the horse trailer, at least when it is parked it does not eat! We are going to do some harley stuff and it would probably come in handy to haul the motorcycles, we have already talked about how to set it up to haul them.
cutterr225
Reg. Oct 2009
Posted 2009-10-26 10:22 AM (#112412 - in reply to #112401)

tell him you can deduct the interest for a second home mortgage deduction on the trailer... that will help on taxes or if you use it in a professional horse bussines you can take all in one year

we have an 07 elite for sale if you're interested..
r
dawnb
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2009-10-26 1:32 PM (#112437 - in reply to #112365)

Veteran

Hey Retento, the one pic of the condo looks like you walk out the door right in the pool. I must be seeing something wrong.In the winter our trailer get packed with all our outside chairs, bikes and whatever else we want to store for the winter. One spring we could figure right away what happened to all our outside chairs. We found them when we got our trailer out of storage.
retento
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2009-10-26 2:05 PM (#112440 - in reply to #112437)

Expert

Originally written by dawnb on 2009-10-26 2:32 PM

Hey Retento, the one pic of the condo looks like you walk out the door right in the pool. I must be seeing something wrong.In the winter our trailer get packed with all our outside chairs, bikes and whatever else we want to store for the winter. One spring we could figure right away what happened to all our outside chairs. We found them when we got our trailer out of storage.

Pool continues through the doorway inside the building.... You can get into the pool inside and swim outside... I guess they partition it off during the winter months, so they only have to heat the indoor, side.

There were two Campgrounds there at Salter Path side by side. The Salter Path Family Campground, NO HORSE trailers allowed and the Arrowhead campground, horse trailers were welcome. Both been sold for CONDO development....

griffsmom
Reg. Oct 2009
Posted 2009-10-27 1:28 PM (#112466 - in reply to #112365)

We use ours to camp and hunt in all the time. Husband doesn't ride, but does a lot of fishing tournaments. We take the trailer and seems to have all the amenities that one could need. We get some looks too, but once you pull the awning out, seems like most people find it a nice place to hang out under and chat. We also travel with 3 hunting dogs, and it works great to be able to put their kennels in the back and haul all the hunting stuff also. Also know that they are secured and locked and that nobody would be able to get in when the trailer is secured. Many uses for these trailers.
rose
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2009-10-27 5:23 PM (#112477 - in reply to #112365)

Last winter during the ice storm, our power was out for about 10 days; we moved into the horse trailer, started the generator and camped at home.
headhunter
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2009-10-28 3:33 PM (#112514 - in reply to #112365)

Elite Veteran

We migrated to our LQ trailer this summer when temps topped 100.  Normally doesn't get much above 80 so we don't have AC in the house.   Slept in the trailer with the AC blasting and it was really nice to escape to the cool!

It also makes a great guest room.

Edited by headhunter 2009-10-28 3:35 PM