Alum vs steel in accidents
DD_TrailerMan
Reg. Jul 2008
Posted 2009-08-15 10:06 AM (#109425)
Subject: Alum vs steel in accidents

Veteran

Hey Gard,

I know you generally favor aluminum trailers over steel but how does an aluminum trailer hold up in an accident vs steel.  Typical accidents can range from fender benders to rear end collisions to rollovers.  Please share you thoughts or experiences on each type of accident.  I am sure there may be instances where aluminum trailers have held up ok in accidents, but as a general rule, would you say that steel trailers hold up better in accidents?

I recently saw an accident (angled side collision) where the automobile suffered total damage while the steel trailer suffered dents and scratches in the sheet metal but no damage to the frame. 

Disclosure:  Double D Trailers manufacturers both all aluminum and all galvanized steel trailers

Bartley Heath
bartley@DoubleDTrailers.com
Buy Factory Direct at DoubleDTrailers.com

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2009-08-15 12:12 PM (#109427 - in reply to #109425)
Subject: RE: Alum vs steel in accidents

Expert

That's quite a question Bartley. Unfortunately without the resources and expertise of organizations such as NHTSA, any answers I would provide would be without veracity. I am not an engineer, I have no access to each accident's  particulars, and it would take a very large amount of research by many people to provide an accurate assessment.

In addition, your question is vague. What kind of accident? A roll over, head on, side, back etc? Better than what? Crushing, occupant protection, salvageability ? Again there are a multitude of variables in an accident, including static and kinetic energy absorption and distribution. I would say that there are too many variables to predict that one material is better than another. And unless you can state the factual results of studies, it would be improper to make any assumptions.

I have owned three steel trailers and now two aluminum. All three steel trailers rusted and looked badly while aging in our PA environment. With the additional maintenance, I had to rebuild each one to maintain its integrity and appearance. In exactly the same environmental circumstances, our two aluminum trailers have received a minimal amount of maintenance, and look like new with only a washing. There is no need for repairing rusted panels, repainting, replacing rusted fasteners and hinges or enduring a lower value as they deteriorate.

With our two aluminum trailers, the only non routine maintenance has been the one time corrosion control of the inside flooring and installation of a floor coating. This action has eliminated any surface flooring corrosion, and the necessity of constantly  removing the mats for inspection and cleaning. Our trailers are now 8 and 9 years old, both bought used;  upon our purchase, one previously had a singular acid washed flooring, the other was untreated. Neither was damaged by corrosion.

So yes, under these circumstances, I much prefer aluminum construction over steel. While doing so, I have also often been a proponent of steel trailer ownership in other parts of the country, where my environmental issues are not present.

What I strongly object to is the derogatory misinformation constantly being presented about aluminum construction. We are being constantly confronted by misleading and out right mistruths of this material.

While I am not an engineer, I am a certified and government licensed aircraft mechanic with 34 years in the commercial aircraft field. I started and ran a boat building business for 19 years. This time has given me a working knowledge of aluminum. I have built, repaired and lived with the stuff long enough, to know how impressive a material it is. I have been to crash sites and seen the affects of horrific accidents where everyone perished. I have been to "non-survivable" sites where everyone survived. I have seen the metal in raw new sheets, ready to be manufactured into working parts. I have seen it completely unrecognizable as any component, completely shredded after a crash.

One person complains "Aluminum bends". By omission is he saying that steel doesn't? A skyscraper doesn't sway in a high wind? A bridge doesn't move under its load? A steel trailer doesn't flex as it travels the roads?

Then another states "Aluminum doesn't bend as well as steel". Even after explaining the stresses that aluminum can endure and its many present applications, the author of this statement is still in denial.

"Aluminum welds fail" is another common complaint. As I've previously stated, a proper weld is as strong as or stronger than the base metal. In aluminum welding, the surrounding area will be somewhat weakened. If the welds are breaking, a better welder should be hired. An engineer can determine what additional materials are needed, to maintain enough strength for the product's usage.

"Aluminum is brittle" and roofs explode. Bloomer has an excellent reputation for trailer construction. Exiss is constantly criticised. Yet both use a one piece .040" sheeting for the roofs. As I recently posted, there are many types of aluminum, and not each one is suitable for all applications. This is also true of steel.

"Because aluminum is weaker than steel; it takes three times as much to be as strong." As an engineer, you know that in such cases, the aluminum part dimensions can redesigned to suit its characteristics. In this way, rigidity can be sustained and even improved without increasing the over all weight. Again, I refer to aircraft construction, which involves the greatest strength, flexation, stresses and yet has to be constructed with a minimal amount of weight.

"Aluminum corrodes" "You have to acid wash the aluminum every six months". Yes aluminum corrodes, but because of its inherent naturally occurring oxidation, this is much less of a problem than with steel construction. Again, a 9 year old trailer needed no acid treatments, an 8 year old needed one.

Again, I'm not anti steel. I'm anti hype, anti untruth and will debate misinformation wherein the veracity of many statements are questioned.

Gard

Edited by gard 2009-08-15 10:27 PM
hounddog
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2009-08-17 7:29 AM (#109470 - in reply to #109425)

Expert

I have had a 15 hand qtr mare tied in the front stall of a NEW aluminium horse trailer put her head THROUGH the roof.I have photos of the damage.It did not explode.It tore like a beer can.I have owned steel trailers that had MANY dents in the roof from horses heads but not one that got punched through until my first aluminium trailer.The roof is junk and dangerous.I could see in a roll over it getting hooves and legs/heads through it with ease.Of course it left me with doubts of the rest of the construction of it.
Paints
Reg. Jan 2006
Posted 2009-08-17 7:40 AM (#109471 - in reply to #109425)

Veteran

Just curious What brand of alum. trailer did horse put head thru????PM me if want as to not putdown Trailer Brand/Name.When we looked at new trailers this year we couldnt find any Steel trailers that had much strenght or dept in steel to make them safe at all.My husband(had been steel/welded fab worker) said not gonna waste money on them.We both like older well make Steel trailers from years back they were alot safer and worth money but Not todays steel(flimsy-JMHO)cheaply made trailers.JMHO
hounddog
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2009-08-17 8:47 AM (#109473 - in reply to #109425)

Expert

Exiss

DD_TrailerMan
Reg. Jul 2008
Posted 2009-08-17 11:35 AM (#109485 - in reply to #109427)

Veteran

Hey Gard,
You make some good points.  Unfortunately, the only testing available are real world accidents.  Not all aluminum or steel trailers are made equal, and that makes a huge difference in strength and durability.  Most aluminum manufacturers do use a .040 or .050 thickness sheetmetal on the roof (and sidewalls).  Needless to say, most aluminum roofs are not constructed to walk on.  In my opinion, the sheet metal strength is a bigger concern, thicker sheet metal can be upgraded but is a costly option.  As far was weight, when all is said and done, there is a small weight savings (10%) between our steel and aluminum trailers.  Most of that weight difference is from the sheet metal.

Gard, I know you aren't anti steel.  I have read many of your posts that debate mis-information and listing advantages and disadvantages of each type of trailer.  I enjoy poking you for fun.  haha.   

Bartley Heath
bartley@DoubleDTrailers.com
Buy Factory Direct at DoubleDTrailers.com

hogtownboss
Reg. Sep 2008
Posted 2009-08-17 12:07 PM (#109487 - in reply to #109470)

Expert

Originally written by hounddog on 2009-08-17 7:29 AM

I have had a 15 hand qtr mare tied in the front stall of a NEW aluminium horse trailer put her head THROUGH the roof.I have photos of the damage.It did not explode.It tore like a beer can.I have owned steel trailers that had MANY dents in the roof from horses heads but not one that got punched through until my first aluminium trailer.The roof is junk and dangerous.I could see in a roll over it getting hooves and legs/heads through it with ease.Of course it left me with doubts of the rest of the construction of it.

Do some research on steel trailers!  Their is some (1 I know for sure) with 1 piece alum roof).  So your damage could have happened in a (this brand of) steel trailer as well!

Edited by hogtownboss 2009-08-18 1:51 PM
hounddog
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2009-08-17 12:43 PM (#109492 - in reply to #109425)

Expert

I won't have that issue again.Just like folks buying ford 6.0s. Ford should have had to buy them back and run them through the crusher.Knowledge is smart shopping.I could KICK my way out of a .40 thick aluminum roof or side.Highly dangerous for livestock.There was a tad over a 1000lb difference in the SAME size trailers one being steel and the other aluminum.There are things out there being sold that should not be or the manufactures ought to have to replace or refund every nickel on them.The world needs a Ralph Nader on steroids.
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2009-08-17 5:31 PM (#109518 - in reply to #109485)

Expert

Originally written by DD_TrailerMan on 2009-08-17 12:35 PM

Unfortunately, the only testing available are real world accidents.  Not all aluminum or steel trailers are made equal, and that makes a huge difference in strength and durability. 

How about you make up a dozen or so trailers of the most common materials, and slam them into a stationary object at say 30 MPH? High speed cameras can record all the visual damage, a million dollars of sensors and computers can track the scientific data.

Grab yourself a new sport truck and try the same lessons while "T" boning a few more trailers. After a while, you could get a sense of which material is the most forgiving, and crash worthy.

Just a thought.....   gard

DD_TrailerMan
Reg. Jul 2008
Posted 2009-08-17 6:49 PM (#109523 - in reply to #109518)

Veteran

You know where I could find a good driver??  haha

gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2009-08-17 8:29 PM (#109527 - in reply to #109425)

Expert

I volunteer Retento. Of course he wouldn't do it until all the trailers had "G" rated Goodyears. No junk allowed.
retento
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2009-08-17 8:33 PM (#109529 - in reply to #109425)

Expert

hogtownboss
Reg. Sep 2008
Posted 2009-08-17 10:18 PM (#109532 - in reply to #109425)

Expert

off topic, Just send all of the 6.0 Powerstrokes to me then.... The main problem with them is somebody run their head about them before they did any type of research to find out what the actual problem was. So since I have done tons of research and know what the issues ae with them, I will take them all!

Edited by hogtownboss 2009-08-17 10:19 PM
hounddog
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2009-08-17 10:22 PM (#109533 - in reply to #109425)

Expert

Bunk.They did a TON of research and tried patch after patch..JUNK. I know wholesalers and used car managers that avoid them like the plague.Ford should have been made to buy them all back.

Edited by hounddog 2009-08-17 10:27 PM
hogtownboss
Reg. Sep 2008
Posted 2009-08-17 10:34 PM (#109535 - in reply to #109425)

Expert

Sure some of them was junk, but fixable.  Some of the 7.3's was junk as well, but fixable. I have a 2001 F-350 that I just bought today with a 109-k miles 1-owner truck, with a head or head gasket problem. (getting fuel into the radiator

Same with Dodge/Cummins and Chevy/Duramax. 

What it come down to is most people that makes stabs at them really know absolutely nothing about them, much less now anything about how to fixing them without being shafted by the dealerships.

hounddog
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2009-08-17 10:54 PM (#109538 - in reply to #109425)

Expert

Ford spent millions trying to fix them.They fixed them all right. A total redesign after experimenting on the public.
hogtownboss
Reg. Sep 2008
Posted 2009-08-17 11:20 PM (#109540 - in reply to #109425)

Expert

What's funny about it is all of the International 4000 SERIES trucks that they used the 6.0 engine in was pretty much trouble FREE!  Yes, it was a MAJOR Ford mistake with a lack of cooling ability.  That is why when a owner installs a egr and egr cooler delete kit the problem is solved.  Until they add power adders, then the next step is to upgrade headbolts (on anything more than 100hp)

heritagelanefarm
Reg. Jul 2006
Posted 2009-08-18 8:35 AM (#109552 - in reply to #109425)

Veteran

Years ago, my horse and I were with a friend with her horse in her 2 horse, bumper pull steel trailer. We were involved in an accident, trailer came to rest on it's side. Full partition (yes, I know the negatives on a FP). My horse was on top, and walked away with a bloody nose. Her horse had to be pulled out, but walked away with cuts/scrapes.  With another bp steel trailer, I forgot to latch the hitch. On a stop, then turn downhill about 15 miles into the trip, the trailer disengaged, emergency brakes did not hold (for whatever reason....this was in the late 60's, and I forget!) The trailer hit a porch, which got the worst of the damage. Trailer had a dent in roof. Horse had a few scrapes, but O.K. Many years ago on this forum, the same question was raised. As I recall, it was mentioned that steel bends, aluminium shreds under severe impact. I am not an engineer, just mentioning past comments. Yes, I am a die hard steel trailer fan, had them since '68. Shed kept, waxed yearly, cleaned out religiously.

Brenda

hounddog
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2009-08-18 1:25 PM (#109575 - in reply to #109425)

Expert

20 years ago or so had some friends from B&G Stables from Dacula Georgia go into Cohutta National forest (Ga.Tn line)for a weekend ride. 9 horses on a big steel stock trailer. Sunday afternoon on the way out the asphalt road broke away as the truck(Ford dually)went over it and the trailer dropped off the road.It pulled the truck around sideways and backwards as the trailer hung straight down.Horses screaming and hanging by there halters and piled into each other.Rear doors of the trailer held and was the only thing keeping them from spilling out and falling straight down.Someone who stopped to help crawled down the side of the trailer cutting lead ropes/halters loose.He then used a cable to tie the back doors for a just in case.Took several hours to get two big rigs into them and pull the trailer back up on the road.Horses had to be drug out.Were in shock.3 were dead.2 others died in the following few weeks.Others took months to get over the huge bruising that had occurred to their bodies.The roof and sides of that trailer looked like the worst hail storm you could imagine from the inside out.Especially the roof.If it had been a .40 inch aluminium like my Exiss I could not imagine how much worse it could have been.I have nothing against aluminium.Just make it thick enough or reinforced enough to withstand what livestock may or can do in the worst scenario.Talk about shock when I saw what my 15 hand Hancock bred mare did to the roof of mine.She was standing peaceful and quiet with a rounded hole to the outside above her head big enough to put a large fist through.
flyinghfarm
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2009-08-18 1:36 PM (#109576 - in reply to #109425)

Expert

Were you in an accident?  It would be some distance from her head to a 7' or so ceiling, just wondered how it happened....

Have hauled race horses as well as performance horses for 30 years and have been really lucky, I guess, none have put a dent in the roof or their head!  Have been called into the vet clinic to work on horses that have kicked through trailer back doors, (all steel as it just so happens ) and that really is a bad scenario...

LopeEmSlo
Reg. May 2009
Posted 2009-08-18 1:53 PM (#109581 - in reply to #109540)

Originally written by hogtownboss on 2009-08-17 12:20 PM

What's funny about it is all of the International 4000 SERIES trucks that they used the 6.0 engine in was pretty much trouble FREE!  Yes, it was a MAJOR Ford mistake with a lack of cooling ability.  That is why when a owner installs a egr and egr cooler delete kit the problem is solved.  Until they add power adders, then the next step is to upgrade headbolts (on anything more than 100hp)

Not to jump ship on the OP topic, but we have a 2006 F350 6.0 and have had a lot of problems with it. Seems like you have some experience with them. :) It's been in the shop over and over again for multiple issues and it barely has 50,000 on it, just mostly used to pull our Exiss SS414 bunkhouse. When we hook the trailer on it seems like it has no power and the check engine light will come on after two or three hours of continous running. Any experience with something like this or should we add something to the truck? Would the EGR cooler delete kit correct this problem?

hounddog
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2009-08-18 2:18 PM (#109583 - in reply to #109425)

Expert

Was I in a accident? if your asking me no I wasn't.I felt her scramble a bit going down the road but thought nothing of it.She was tied and the divider shut.She had been hauled several times before etc.I guess she reared and obviously punched a hole through the roof.When I checked her she was cool and calm. I have hauled a fair amount of mares/colts off big ranches over years that never had a halter on etc.Had to drive them up on the trailer.Lots of these trailers including my own had multiple roof dents.I always thought it was kind of common.I have a up close Wimpy bred mare(actually THREE of them) that when I got them at ages 6,12 and 16 had NEVER had a foot trim and the two younger ones did not lead or halter,tie etc.They had always been worked in chutes,pasture bred etc. Driven up on stock trailers when hauled and hauled loose.I have encountered LOTS of mares as well as 3 and 4 year old colts/fillys like this on big  ranches.They seem to not to think its any big deal.All THEIR trailers have dents all over the insides including roofs.Some of these ranches don't think much of imprinting and handling young horses until its time to start them(age 3 plus)under saddle.
hogtownboss
Reg. Sep 2008
Posted 2009-08-18 2:23 PM (#109584 - in reply to #109581)

Expert

Originally written by LopeEmSlo on 2009-08-18 1:53 PM

Originally written by hogtownboss on 2009-08-17 12:20 PM

Not to jump ship on the OP topic, but we have a 2006 F350 6.0 and have had a lot of problems with it. Seems like you have some experience with them. :) It's been in the shop over and over again for multiple issues and it barely has 50,000 on it, just mostly used to pull our Exiss SS414 bunkhouse. When we hook the trailer on it seems like it has no power and the check engine light will come on after two or three hours of continous running. Any experience with something like this or should we add something to the truck? Would the EGR cooler delete kit correct this problem?

Have you had the codes pulled when the CEL is on?  Does is do anything other than no power?

The no power issues could be an intercooler boot cracked.  Let me know so more details and I will try and help you.  You can also go to dieselpowermag.com click on tech on the top bar then scroll down to the info on the 6.0's, then further down the page is info on just the erg itself.

My opinion the egr grap is the worst thing the epa ever done period!  The way I make mine run so good with or without doing the egr delete is to install a 4" exaust with no converter, up graded air intake.

Your trailer is no light weight by any means, the SS413 we had in 2001 weight almost 11-k llbs empty and was pulling it with a 2001 F-350 with the 7.3L and it was a load for it..... 

mingiz
Reg. Jul 2004
Posted 2009-08-19 7:20 AM (#109628 - in reply to #109425)

Elite Veteran

A few years back I was towing my 3h sl Exiss empty. I was going to pick one up. As I was slowing down for a light changing I felt a bump and was like WTH was that. Looked out my side mirror and seen a ford taurus bouncing off the side of the trailer. I stopped got out and looked and the only damage I had was some red paint on the running board and it dented up the hub cap. I went back and looked at the car and it took out the head light assembly and left a wash board look all the way down the side of the car, with black streaks from the trailer tires. I felt bad for the kid when he had to call his mom and tell her he just messed up her car. First he told her that the trailer sucked him into it..I was like Oh No you didn't you leaped before you looked. There was no damage to my trailer and I knew his mom was gonna tear him up when he got home. So I didn't call the cops and told him your on your own. I left...I was really impressed how an aluminum trailer held up to the impact....haven't had an wrecks with the steel one yet and hope not too....
tom-tom
Reg. Feb 2008
Posted 2009-08-22 9:43 PM (#109837 - in reply to #109425)

Extreme Veteran

Hounddog,  Where did her head poke thru?  Was it near a vent or cross brace?
hounddog
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2009-08-22 10:22 PM (#109845 - in reply to #109425)

Expert

Her head went through in the front corner of the front stall,right above where she was quietly standing when I arrived.Not near a brace or vent.For whatever reason she pitched a little snit and reared straight up.