Plastic or Metal water Tank in DR or under Gooseneck
Ard Righ
Reg. May 2009
Posted 2009-07-30 8:24 AM (#108758)
Subject: Plastic or Metal water Tank in DR or under Gooseneck

New User

I have a 17' two horse straightload with a 6' DR.

Would appreciate advice on wheter I should get a plasric oer metal water tank and wheter I should put it under the gooseneck or in the DR. Also, how many gallons would you recommend?

Thanks in advance for the help.

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2009-07-30 8:50 AM (#108761 - in reply to #108758)
Subject: RE: Plastic or Metal water Tank in DR or under Gooseneck

Expert

There are two types of plastic tanks, polypropylene and ABS. ABS can be modified by the purchaser, with easily procurable glues and fittings. Polypropylene has to have each port installed by the manufacturer, and is difficult to change, or repair if it is damaged. Metal tanks are equally difficult to change, as any modifications will usually involve a welder. Because stainless is the best metallic material for a potable water system, the tanks will be the most expensive.

Both plastics are available in most sizes and configurations to suit most installations. Most metal tanks are custom built and made to order for your application.

Obviously the largest tank that you can fit into your allocated space, would be the best one. If you plan on showers and multiple occupants, the largest tank will not be enough for primitive camping. If you do the show circuits and have access to a secondary water supply, a smaller tank would suffice. Your usage will dictate what you will need.

I would try to get a minimum of a 30 gal tank. That is enough for two people for an overnight with showers, cleanup and toilet usage.

Most owners with GN trailers, place the tanks under something else, to best utilize the space. Within a boot box / step  is a common placement, as is under a dinette, or a location at the bottom of a wardrobe cabinet. Some owners will choose a corner mount and install a vertical, triangular shaped tank. You need a point of easy access to fill the tank. The higher it is, the more difficult the fill port will be to use, on the outside of the trailer. The drains can be routed to an easy access point.

There have been discussions about using large diameter PVC piping and mounting them external to the trailer. Think ahead, to how you want your finished DR to be organized. Look at other trailers with similar size DRs, and learn how they were built. Find one you like and copy it.

Gard

Edited by gard 2009-07-30 9:09 AM
brew26
Reg. May 2009
Posted 2009-07-31 10:03 AM (#108791 - in reply to #108758)
Subject: RE: Plastic or Metal water Tank in DR or under Gooseneck

Veteran

Here would be some good options for you.  Notice the one you can use for saddle rack in your dr or probably mount on in the corner. 

http://www.nrsworld.com/istar.asp?a=3&dept=20&class=300&sortby=&numperpage=30