New here and new trailer!!!! Questions......
Sorrelgirl
Reg. Jul 2009
Posted 2009-07-15 11:26 PM (#108094)
Subject: New here and new trailer!!!! Questions......

New User

I just purchased a 2001 Featherlite 2H BP Slant load, with dressing room, rear tack, fully padded, drop down windows. It was used less the 1000 miles! It has no sign of horses or any use....once I washed it...it looks great. I'm thrilled. But I have some questions if you don't mind.

1) How much does this weigh? I have a 1/2 ton 2004 Silverado with a tow package....would that pull this ok? I kind of want to use that truck since it is comfy and everything works. Otherwise I have to use my 1980 1 ton which runs great...but no a/c...no c/d player.....

2) Does anyone else here even use a bumper pull??? I didn't get a GN cause I wanted more vehicle options to use should the need arise.

Thanks and I have enjoyed reading all your messages here.

OH and I paid 7000.00 for my trailer....kind of high..but it really is like new...even the horse compartment was spotless like a horse had never been in it....not a single scratch on it.......it gleams!!
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
retento
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2009-07-16 3:32 AM (#108095 - in reply to #108094)
Subject: RE: New here and new trailer!!!! Questions......

Expert

You should be just fine pulling that trailer with the 1/2 ton truck.....

One other thing you should check on the trailer is, the tires. Have the tires ever been replace on the trailer? If not, then the tires could be 8-10 years old, Tire life is in the 5-6 year range, after that point they start to crumble in a hurry. Most of the Chinese tires start to give trouble in 3 years or less. The tires may look new but the UV rays have probably gotten the best of them (dry rotten and cracking, cords starting to break) and I'll promise you, you'll soon have a blowout. I.E. broken down on side of the road in traffic, torn up trailer fender and lights missing, freaking out horse from the excessive flapping noise of the tire trying to rip the side of the trailer off, etc. etc.... Check the tire build date stamped on the tire's sidewall.....

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=11

gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2009-07-16 8:22 AM (#108106 - in reply to #108094)

Expert

Originally written by Sorrelgirl on 2009-07-15 12:26 AM

I just purchased a 2001 Featherlite 2H BP Slant load, I have a 1/2 ton 2004 Silverado with a tow package....would that pull this ok? 

2) Does anyone else here even use a bumper pull??? OH and I paid 7000.00 for my trailer....kind of high..but it really is like new.....it gleams!!

As Retento said, your truck should be fine pulling your new trailer. You might want to change your transmission fluid and filter, and check your cooling system and update the antifreeze if necessary. In addition to the trailer tires, you will want to also check the truck's tires, especially the rear ones. If trailer replacements are necessary, purchase radial tires instead of bias ply. You will have better tracking, less rolling resistance and improved fuel mileage. Depending on the mileage and condition of your truck, a review of its rear shocks wouldn't be out of the question.

Many of us have and do, pull a variety of BP trailers everyday. With a good brake controller and careful driving, you can have a safe and pleasurable drive. Your vehicle likely won't encounter many difficulties. It's the rest of the people on the road, oblivious to the needs of a towing vehicle, that often cause tense moments in your driving.

You bought essentially a new trailer for less than half price. When you consider that it could be a lifetime investment, your daily cost is very small. Should you decide to sell it, the name and condition will do well to hold its resale value. Indeed, you bought very well.

BOL  Gard

Edited by gard 2009-07-16 8:30 AM
Sorrelgirl
Reg. Jul 2009
Posted 2009-07-19 12:46 AM (#108231 - in reply to #108094)

New User

Thank you all very much. I love it. I printed up your advice and will follow it. The tire info is good..never thought of that! I also am thrilled that it is basically new....now if I could just get my horse in it!! LOL. Apprently it seems scary...time....patience...time...... :)
loveduffy
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2009-07-20 10:07 PM (#108291 - in reply to #108094)

Expert

you should look in to  getting US rider it  works for me a few times