Why won't my trailer sell?
stablemom
Reg. Jun 2007
Posted 2009-06-26 5:08 PM (#107097)
Subject: Why won't my trailer sell?

Veteran

HTW ad #161135

I have dropped my price a couple of times already and it seems to be in line with other similar C&C trailers. It is a great trailer, very clean, and in great shape. I have had many inquiries, mostly over the phone, but no offers. I don't want to just give it away. Is it just the economy?? Also, not alot of horse people in this area that buy the higher end trailers. Open to any suggestions. The trailer is paid for, so I am not making payments on it. Thanks!

PS. If someone asks you to meet them halfway so they can look at your trailer, what is a fair way to do this? Say halfway between Iowa and Alabama? What if I drive all that way and they decide against it, then I am out all the fuel, time, etc...plus adding extra miles to my trailer and tires?

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
HWBar
Reg. Nov 2005
Posted 2009-06-26 5:27 PM (#107098 - in reply to #107097)
Subject: RE: Why won't my trailer sell?

Expert

I would say it's somewhat due to the banks not offering the long term loans on these used luxury items, best financing anyone is going to get on that trailer would be 20% down and 6 year terms, that makes your trailer about $500 per month. Very few folks out there want to get into something like that.

The trailer market is saturated right now with good used trailers, lots of these are upside down, in other words they owe more than the trailer will bring. That will drive down the prices, you can thank the guys out there that were loaning 20-30 years on a horse trailer. The market will require alot of years to straighten itself out. I was building a trailer a year to use/sell I stopped two years ago because I thought something like this may be coming.

Not the news you were wanting, but imagine if you were making payments on it.

kypeep
Reg. Jul 2008
Posted 2009-06-26 5:40 PM (#107099 - in reply to #107097)

It is a gorgeous trailer. I can't say anything about being priced right or wrong because I don't know.  However, so many of us looking to buy a LQ don't want a large monthly payment, so we are looking for something less expensive, say in the $25K range.  That's all I can think of - absolutely nothing wrong with the trailer. 
hosspuller
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2009-06-26 7:30 PM (#107106 - in reply to #107097)

Expert

Originally written by stablemom on 2009-06-26 2:08 PM

If someone asks you to meet them halfway so they can look at your trailer, what is a fair way to do this? Say halfway between Iowa and Alabama? What if I drive all that way and they decide against it, then I am out all the fuel, time, etc...plus adding extra miles to my trailer and tires?

Ask them to send you a check (in time to clear before you leave) for  $1 per mile round trip.  You'll credit the amount to the purchase. (or some portion)

How are they going to pay for the trailer if you meet them far from home?  Beware scam or using it as pressure tactic to lower your price (hence the prepaid trip cost)

gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2009-06-26 7:30 PM (#107107 - in reply to #107097)

Expert

Originally written by stablemom on 2009-06-26 6:08 PM

HTW ad #161135

I have dropped my price a couple of times already and it seems to be in line with other similar C&C trailers. It is a great trailer, very clean, and in great shape. I have had many inquiries, mostly over the phone, but no offers. I don't want to just give it away. Is it just the economy?? Also, not alot of horse people in this area that buy the higher end trailers. Open to any suggestions. The trailer is paid for, so I am not making payments on it. Thanks!

You're right, it is a beautiful trailer in what appears to be excellent shape. Your problem is the present economy. I would drop it again to an asking price of $38,950. In people's minds, there is a big difference between $40 K and $30 something K, even though the actual difference is only a little over $1 K

PS. If someone asks you to meet them halfway so they can look at your trailer, what is a fair way to do this? Say halfway between Iowa and Alabama? What if I drive all that way and they decide against it, then I am out all the fuel, time, etc...plus adding extra miles to my trailer and tires?

I would ask for a prepaid, non refundable, cash deposit, equal to your time and expense to meet them. If they aren't willing to pay, then you can assume they are tire kickers and were not actually prepared for a sale. This strategy has worked for me in the past, while selling many types of items. It eliminates all but those who are seriously interested in what you are selling.

BOL  Gard 
stablemom
Reg. Jun 2007
Posted 2009-06-26 8:28 PM (#107110 - in reply to #107097)

Veteran

Thanks everyone for the advice and thanks for the positive comments about our trailer. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't thinking more highly of it than I should. I can understand having trouble getting a loan, and having to make such high payments. Thankfully, we were able to pay for it. Hopefully someone will come along soon.

Also, great advice about meeting someone halfway. I have been asked if I would consider doing this twice already and didn't know how to address the issue. My husband also suggested that the interested party fly down (since flights are quite reasonable) to see it, and then if they decided they wanted it we could meet them halfway, but we would still need a non refundable deposit.

nd deb
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2009-06-26 8:30 PM (#107111 - in reply to #107097)

Veteran

Your trailer is a nice top of line trailer and is priced reasonably.  I just paid around 40 k for an Elite of the same size unfinished.   I think alot of it is that people can't afford as much any more if they are getting where you can spread the payments out more then 5 years.  If they order new the bank then allows them to  spread payments out to 10 yrs.  

stablemom
Reg. Jun 2007
Posted 2009-06-26 8:33 PM (#107112 - in reply to #107097)

Veteran

I have another question. What do you say when someone asks what your bottom dollar is? I usually ask them to make me an offer and we will go from there, kinda like buying a house and counter offering. One guy told me that he doesn't do "make me an offer" deals and I said that I didn't really do "bottom dollar deals". I don't want to sell myself short, ya know!
HWBar
Reg. Nov 2005
Posted 2009-06-26 9:06 PM (#107113 - in reply to #107097)

Expert

Only you know what you will take for the trailer, If I ask what's your bottom dollar you need to tell me. I might just pay it.

horsey1
Reg. Dec 2004
Posted 2009-06-27 8:03 AM (#107134 - in reply to #107097)

Elite Veteran

It looks nice, but certainly not underpriced. I've seen several go for 30-35K or so. I just had a "factory repo" (another brand, not as sturdy as a C&C) in a '07 priced to me for 40 that came with a 3/8 factory warranty. Remember better or worse C&C is gone. So there is no product liability insurance out there if it has a tragic issue. Not that one is likely to have such with a C&C, but it is technically an orphan. Who did the interior?? Is it certified? If I'm going to pay the top dollar for a 6 year old trailer it has to earn my money. I'm not trying to be mean, just reality. By the way it does look very clean and straight. Your pics are good also. Good luck. Oh- and I'd never meet someone halfway. Tried that- got halfway there when I got a call they were 3 hours behind schedule. The professional delivery drivers tell me they just want to go all the way on their schedule. If they're not committed enough to make the drive, I'd guess you were going to tote it home for free anyway.
horsey1
Reg. Dec 2004
Posted 2009-06-27 8:06 AM (#107135 - in reply to #107112)

Elite Veteran

Originally written by stablemom on 2009-06-26 8:33 PM

I have another question. What do you say when someone asks what your bottom dollar is? I usually ask them to make me an offer and we will go from there, kinda like buying a house and counter offering. One guy told me that he doesn't do "make me an offer" deals and I said that I didn't really do "bottom dollar deals". I don't want to sell myself short, ya know!

I like your answer! That "bottom dollar"s garbage. You named a price, if you name again isn't it like running up your own bid at an auction???? If he doesn't like your price, let him tell you what he'll pay. I told a guy the other day I didn't know what my bottom dollar was- because I really didn't. It varies from day to day. Catch me feeling broke- and it is less. Let me just sell something and the bottom dollar on my other thing for sale just went up:)!

retento
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2009-06-27 8:31 AM (#107136 - in reply to #107097)

Expert

You bought an ad... Lets put it up on the thread...

http://www.horsetrailerworld.com/home/trailerdetail.asp?ID=161135

<script> window.setTimeout("watermark()",50);

genebob
Reg. Nov 2007
Posted 2009-06-27 9:01 AM (#107137 - in reply to #107097)

Elite Veteran

NICE trailer.I agree with HWB about the the dropping the price. It is more the economy than anything else. I was talking with a dealer the other day and he says the bigger 4 horse trailers in your price range just are not moving right now. Three horse trailers are the hot thing right now. He thinks it is because the ones who can afford a nice trailer are empty nesters that only take two horses and use the front stall for equipment,hay, etc. Remember last year when you couldn't hardly give away a diesel truck because of the price of diesel fuel?

As far as meeting someone part way, I just don't know what to say. Last year when we were looking I found one I liked about 1200 miles away. When I did the math, it was going to cost me around $1500 to go LOOK (food, lodging, fuel, wear and tear on truck) at the trailer. If I bought it, I still had to come home and sell the one I had. So now you are tying up even more money for who knows how long. That's why private party sales are hard, a trailer like yours is one that people are moving UP to, not first timers.

Bottom dollar, I'm one of those people who always asks that question, but always never knows what to say when somebody asks it of me. I hate the back and forth dickering. When I buy a vehicle, I ask the salesperson if they have authority to make the sale or do they need to ask the sales manager. If not, I go to the sales manager myself and tell him to give the commission the salesperson, but I am dealing with them direct. No games. If they won't do it, I'm out the door and no regrets.

Sorry this is so long, but good luck selling your trailer. Just curious, have thought about putting it on a dealers lot on a commission?

Edited by genebob 2009-06-27 9:03 AM

buyshadow
Reg. Jan 2009
Posted 2009-06-27 9:14 AM (#107138 - in reply to #107097)

Regular

buyshadow
Reg. Jan 2009
Posted 2009-06-27 9:16 AM (#107139 - in reply to #107097)

Regular

Hi there, just wanted to chime in and let you know that your financing is a bit off.  You can finance a trailer even used .... for a 10 year term at a great interest rate (about 8.99%)! Banks ARE lending and the term and interest is there if you know how to look for it! Any questions feel free to email us and we will help! 
genebob
Reg. Nov 2007
Posted 2009-06-27 9:34 AM (#107141 - in reply to #107097)

Elite Veteran

Sorry Buyshadow but I don't consider 8.99% (let's just call it 9%) a great interest rate. I guess it would be if you were paying it to me, but right now I'm having trouble finding a bank that will pay ME 2% for my money. Nine percent interest on a $40,000 trailer with 20% down (finance $32,000) is $2,880 interest the first year. Now add sales tax, license, and insurance plus probably a loan fee you have now made this $40,000 trailer a $48,000 trailer without paying $0.01 for principle.
MSM
Reg. Jun 2009
Posted 2009-06-27 9:55 AM (#107143 - in reply to #107097)

Regular

With all due respect, the economy is pretty bad these days. Unemployement is around 10% with companies laying off people on a daily babis. People are worried about job security and are afraid to make large purchases.

It's very difficult for individuals to secure financing through local banks these days since many banks have changed there lending requirements.

Fuel prices are rising again with oil option contracts trading above $100.00 barrel this week. Many potential buyer are reluctant to purchase trailers especially when the manufacture is in trouble and/or is out of business.

With so many trailers on the market today people are looking for deals. alot of dealers are selling there trailers at or below cost just to reduce there inventory.

On the bright side, you might consider putting your trailer on consignment with your local dealer. They can finance people easier then them going to their own bank with attractive financing terms as well as offer buyers an extended warranty.

One last idea, is offer owner financing????? This isn't for everyone. I have done this over the years and have not had one default or carry there loan to maturity, they were always paid off early. I used this avenue in the past. I was able to lower my price and make up the differancde and then some off the interest I was collecting.

Good luck and hope all works out for you...................
retento
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2009-06-27 10:52 AM (#107148 - in reply to #107097)

Expert

My guess is... Nobody want to spend 40K on a 7 year old, 4 horses 10' LQ trailer built by a MFG. that is no longer in business...... There's 1503, four horses, LQ trailers of all makes listed on HTW alone... There's alot for a trailer shopper pick from.

crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2009-06-27 2:35 PM (#107152 - in reply to #107148)

Expert

Just because a nice,well built trailer with a good name is no longer being built,that doesn't change the fact that it's still a nice,well built trailer.She's taken excellent care of it.I have  a nice 4H slant steel Wrangler,it is no longer in business,but,it's still a good trailer that will last most people for as long as they want if they'll take a little care of it.Same deal with her C&C.

Don't get discouraged,stablemom.It will sell.The right buyer hasn't come along yet,but everything works out in its' time.

stablemom
Reg. Jun 2007
Posted 2009-06-27 2:42 PM (#107153 - in reply to #107097)

Veteran

Just curious, I know that C&C has gone out of business, but since we have owned the trailer, we have never had to contact them about anything. If anything needed fixing, etc...we just got someone locally to take care of it. Have ordered items for it from various websites as well. It is no longer under warranty, so I am not sure why that is such a big deal?!?! Maybe I am ignorant about that, but there are alot of manufacturers(not just horse trailers, etc..) that have closed their doors and will continue to do so, unfortunately. I know that the market is saturated, but I am not willing to just give it away. It is way too nice for that. Only thing it is costing me now is insurance, so I am going to hope for the best. I may look into the consignment deal, and adjusting the price (again) a bit.

Thanks for all the positive comments (and not so positive ones as well).

stablemom
Reg. Jun 2007
Posted 2009-06-27 2:51 PM (#107154 - in reply to #107136)

Veteran

Thanks Retento for putting my ad up. I can do some of this computer stuff, but I am not always good at the copying and pasteing, or whatever you have to do to get it on there. LOL!! I continue to learn new things about this computer every day.
keerocka
Reg. May 2009
Posted 2009-06-27 8:21 PM (#107168 - in reply to #107097)

Finally a thread I am qualified to respond to!  My husband and I have been looking for something VERY similar to what you have....and I have viewed your ad several times. On the plus side, very clean, well constructed trailer.  Negatives for us: no generator (it didn't mention it in the ad so I assume there was none) and C&C no longer being in business.  For comparison purposes we ended up just purchasing an '03 Platinum, 12' SW, 3H, Outlaw Conversion, Loaded including factory insulated roof, Onan Generator w/ Remote start, Satellite, hyd. jack, etc.  Paid $45k.  I do not think we got a huge bargain, but the dealer is close, and Outlaw is just 50 min from us so I hope if we have issues they will be easily resolved.  We had previously owned a Platinum trailer and we loved it.  We too have heard financing has been an issue with several trailers that we looked at...it's just going to take the right person.  Good luck to you! 
stablemom
Reg. Jun 2007
Posted 2009-06-27 8:58 PM (#107170 - in reply to #107097)

Veteran

We have a generator that we used with it, but my husband wanted to keep it for our use at home. I just figured that if someone had the money to buy the trailer that buying a generator wouldn't be that big of a deal and they could get the kind that they wanted. We can buy a generator to go with it, if that is a big drawback. Thanks for letting me know what your issues were with it. I can't do anything about C&C going out of business, tho. Was hoping that when the economy gets turned around (if that ever happens) that some of these trailer manufacturers might reopen their doors, but like I stated above, it has never been an issue for us.
loveduffy
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2009-06-27 9:15 PM (#107173 - in reply to #107097)

Expert

(why won't my trailer sell?) people have no money, no jobs my loss there job. economy is bad shape
barrelhorses
Reg. Feb 2009
Posted 2009-06-27 11:13 PM (#107175 - in reply to #107153)

Regular

Originally written by stablemom on 2009-06-27 3:42 PM

Just curious, I know that C&C has gone out of business, but since we have owned the trailer, we have never had to contact them about anything. If anything needed fixing, etc...we just got someone locally to take care of it. Have ordered items for it from various websites as well. It is no longer under warranty, so I am not sure why that is such a big deal?!?! Maybe I am ignorant about that, but there are alot of manufacturers(not just horse trailers, etc..) that have closed their doors and will continue to do so, unfortunately. I know that the market is saturated, but I am not willing to just give it away. It is way too nice for that. Only thing it is costing me now is insurance, so I am going to hope for the best. I may look into the consignment deal, and adjusting the price (again) a bit.

Thanks for all the positive comments (and not so positive ones as well).

I had my trailer on consignment with a local dealer late last year for about 3 months.  I really like the dealer and have bought two LQ trailers from them and used them for service.  I was a little upset that they wanted to charge 15% commission on the sale plus $50 month storage.  I know they would have time and some advertising money in the deal, but I had to pad the price about $7,000 to make up the commission.  In the dealers defense, she did tell me that she would work with me on the commission if I turned around and bought another trailer off her lot....which I did plan to do.  Obviously it didn't sell and still hasn't.  When winter hit, I went and brought the trailer home.  I drove through the dealer's lot a couple of weeks ago and she still has all the same LQ's sitting there that she had last fall.  It all boils down to bad economy + saturated market = expensive piece of driveway ornament.   

Duckman
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2009-06-28 7:53 AM (#107180 - in reply to #107097)

Veteran

You will have a harder time selling this trailer because: You can't finance someone, probably won't take a trade in, and you have a "homemade" interior that's not certifed? Get it to a large dealer with traffic, price it a liitle lower($35,000) and end your misery.

Edited by Duckman 2009-06-28 7:58 AM
BlazingCreekBar
Reg. Nov 2008
Posted 2009-06-29 6:52 AM (#107216 - in reply to #107097)

Extreme Veteran

It is nice. Your potential buyer needs to be properly rigged up with the right tow vehicle. After looking at your pictures I want to ask, why no cook top? In my opinion without a cook top you are limiting your viewing audience. Have you considered having one added at your local RV store? It has been a miserable raining spring here in NE and we used our heat and our cook top most of the week while in the Adirondacks recently. I also agree with past posts, age, size and price can be an issue. A new 3 horse 9' sw can be @5-10k less with dealer financing. However patience is a virtue and sometimes these things take a while to work out.
horsey1
Reg. Dec 2004
Posted 2009-06-29 9:02 AM (#107226 - in reply to #107097)

Elite Veteran

OK- I'll bite- so is it really a homemade interior?? Certification and/or third party testing/inspection?
stablemom
Reg. Jun 2007
Posted 2009-06-29 9:24 AM (#107231 - in reply to #107097)

Veteran

Good morning everyone, the interior on our trailer was done by Vic's Custom Quarters out of MS. No, he is not a big conversion company, but we had seen his work in other trailers and liked the quality of it. We ordered the trailer as an empty shell, and Vic put in the LQ for a lot less $$ than the big conversion companies, and we think he did a great job. It is not certified, but we have never had an issue going anywhere with it. Was told that KOA's were about the only place that it seems to matter and we knew we weren't going to be staying in the KOA's. We have travelled all over the Southeast, OK, TX, IL....and this has never been a problem.

We chose not to have the cook top because we knew we were going to be grilling out and cooking outside most of the time. Plus, I didn't want to be cooking much while on the road and it gave me a lot more counter space. I had a single plug in burner if needed, which was hardly ever, grilled out, used the crockpot, microwave, etc...  For week long trips, I would cook a good bit before we left and then all we had to do was warm it up. I can understand that you might want one if you live in the colder climates, but down here, our set-up worked fine!!

Someone called about it yesterday and plans to look at it on Thursday. Yea! They live 30 minutes from us, so I am hoping for the best! I believe that in God's perfect timing it will sell!

Thanks again for all the feedback. Never expected so many comments, but they have been very much appreciated. All kinds of suggestions and opinions, thanks!!

genebob
Reg. Nov 2007
Posted 2009-06-29 9:52 AM (#107234 - in reply to #107097)

Elite Veteran

I hope they buy it! It truly is a nice trailer with what appears to be a quality done LQ. Like it has been said, you just have to find the right buyer for the right trailer.
hogtownboss
Reg. Sep 2008
Posted 2009-06-29 10:35 AM (#107238 - in reply to #107141)

Expert

Originally written by genebob on 2009-06-27 9:34 AM

Sorry Buyshadow but I don't consider 8.99% (let's just call it 9%) a great interest rate. I guess it would be if you were paying it to me, but right now I'm having trouble finding a bank that will pay ME 2% for my money. Nine percent interest on a $40,000 trailer with 20% down (finance $32,000) is $2,880 interest the first year. Now add sales tax, license, and insurance plus probably a loan fee you have now made this $40,000 trailer a $48,000 trailer without paying $0.01 for principle.

Around here people would love to get an 8.99 quote!  Most banks that are even thinking about rv's or trailers longer that 60 months is around 10.99* and UP with 10 plus DOWN!

I finally got our 04 Sundower financed for 7.5% on 48 months.  And this is a trailer that was almost 80-k new in 2004 and has an NADA value of right at 40-k  and on top of that I only wanted 20-k!  Just like pulling teeth!

HWBar
Reg. Nov 2005
Posted 2009-06-29 11:05 AM (#107247 - in reply to #107097)

Expert

I build alot of LQ's without a cooktop, most want a microwave, but would rather have the counterspace. I build more without the cooktop than with. As far a the certification goes that's a non-issue with a LQ as nice as this one is. I never have had an issue selling one of my LQ's, and have only had 1 person that wanted to pay the extra for a sticker, and I had T. Arnold inspect that one.
Penejoe
Reg. Oct 2006
Posted 2009-06-29 1:10 PM (#107273 - in reply to #107097)

Regular

Stablemom, not trying to change the subject but where in Ms is Vic's? Looking for someone to put a bathroom in my trailer for me.

stablemom
Reg. Jun 2007
Posted 2009-06-29 2:09 PM (#107279 - in reply to #107097)

Veteran

Picayune, MS.

Not sure if the recession has bothered them or not. I have a number if you are interested. Will pm it to you, if you want it. Just let me know!

They do a great job!

Penejoe
Reg. Oct 2006
Posted 2009-06-29 2:14 PM (#107280 - in reply to #107097)

Regular

that would be great tks