Camping in Pennsylvania or Oio
Ncatanz
Reg. Jun 2008
Posted 2009-06-10 10:52 AM (#106243)
Subject: Camping in Pennsylvania or Oio

Veteran

Anyone know of nice places to horse camp in the Eastern part of Ohio or the Western part of Pennsylvania?
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2009-06-17 8:49 AM (#106572 - in reply to #106243)
Subject: RE: Camping in Pennsylvania or Oio

Expert

There are several sources of info you might try.

The Ohio division of forestry has a pamphlet "Ohio's State Forest Guide" that lists the state parks 1-877-247-8733

The Tri county Trail Assn at http://www.tri-cotrails.org/ has a listing of campgrounds and trails.

The Ohio Horseman's Council at http://www.ohiohorsemanscouncil.com/ has listings of trails and camping

The "Guide to Ohio Trails" by http://www.ohiodnr.com/ has an extensive listing of Ohio facilities.

Cook Forest in PA, and Hocking Hills in Ohio are about three hours each way from your Washington, PA area. Both are interesting areas.

Gard

jakey1
Reg. Dec 2003
Posted 2009-06-17 10:04 AM (#106577 - in reply to #106243)

Extreme Veteran

Camped at Cook Forest for a week last summer.  Camp ground was comfortable and the people were great.  Trails were tough!  Make sure you have a "spare tire" (hoof boot) that you can user in an emergency.  Lots of lost shoes on our rides last year.
weaverrider
Reg. Jun 2009
Posted 2009-06-19 8:05 AM (#106655 - in reply to #106243)

New User

jakey1,

I am getting married soon and would like to go riding somewhere in PA.  I looked at the website for the cook forest and it looked great.  Can you tell me what you think about it and would you recommend us going there for our honeymoon?

jakey1
Reg. Dec 2003
Posted 2009-06-19 10:49 AM (#106668 - in reply to #106243)

Extreme Veteran

Weaverrider... congrats on your upcoming nuptuals...

I liked Cook Forest...  the people who own/run the campground are very nice.  We spent a week during a "food provided" special week.  Josh Lyons was at camp that week and worked with people and horses both in clinic situations and individually.  We paid an extra fee and were treated to breakfasts, "box" lunches and dinners each day.  The facility offers guided trail rides or you can venture out on your own.  Some of the trails were challenging.  There are river and creek crossings and when we were there last June, the water was running a little high in the creeks and there was lots of mud and some washed out areas.  Make sure your horses are in good shape and carry an easy boot in case you loose a shoe.  There is a farrier available if you happen to get unlucky!

There are a couple of cabins available for rent by reservation, or there is electric and water hook ups for your trailer - no individual waste disposal, but there is a dump site.  The "public" bathrooms with showers are relatively clean and well kept.  There are tie-in stalls available, or you can hi-line at your trailer, but they request environmentally friendly tree treatment... in other words, you must use high line equipment that will not damage tree bark, etc.  Most camp sites are shaded.  The camp is easy to get to and into with most any size trailer, and again, the people who run the operation are extremely nice.  We also met some very nice campers, many of whom have been going to the place for years.

You can google Cook Forest and get a web site to see for yourself.  Enjoy!

weaverrider
Reg. Jun 2009
Posted 2009-06-19 11:01 AM (#106671 - in reply to #106243)

New User

Thanks so much for the info!
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2009-06-19 11:42 AM (#106677 - in reply to #106243)

Expert

We've been to Cook Forest a couple of times. They have an assortment of trails that vary in length and riding abilities.

The food options are properly priced. Bring your own silverware and hard plates. Eating and cutting a steak on a paper plate with plastic silverware is an exercise in frustration.

The public showers are clean and heated. The parking areas have electrical hook ups and most include shade.

We plan on another visit and would recommend this facility.

Gard

weaverrider
Reg. Jun 2009
Posted 2009-06-19 3:20 PM (#106691 - in reply to #106243)

New User

I really appreciate the help.  I'm starting to stress on marrying do daas and traveling hooplah.  The catch is he is living/working in pa and I'm living and working in nc.  Trying to figure the route to hook up without one having to drive theirself to death is going to be interesting.
awesomeabby
Reg. May 2008
Posted 2009-06-19 9:48 PM (#106707 - in reply to #106243)

I am from western PA and do a lot of camping. By far, the best place is Hickory Creek Wilderness Ranch near Tidioute, PA. We go there often. The camping is great, hosts Tom and Jennifer couldn't be nicer, nice stalls if you choose to stable your horses and the cost is fair. The trails are really nice and they go directly into the Allegheny National Forest and wilderness area. It's beautiful.

Have been to Cook Forest and didn't like it much. Stayed at Ray Smith's. Hosts were nice. Some of the trails go through strip mines and it seemed we had to ride on not-so-nice trails to get into the forest. Some trails were beautiful. The campground was run down. When we were there, the grass wasn't cut, manure was piled up, only have tie stalls. They said there was bedding, but we had to ask 3 times to get it. No picnic table. We would go back only if we were going with a group of friends who insisted on going there.

We do a lot of long weekend camping at Beaver Creek, OH. Camping is primitive if you can get into that. The restrooms are kept clean, no water in them, no showers. Campsites are very nice. The trails are very well kept by local horsemen's association and the riding is absolutely beautiful with a lot of creek crossings. There is a hand pump for water, but we take our own for one finicky horse.

Hocking Hills in OH is a nice place. I can't remember where we stayed, private campground, maybe something like Ponderosa??? Riding was great. We were there over July 4 a couple years ago and it was hot, hot, hot. Trails were really nice. You have to go into 21 Horse Cave. Lots of trails.

Salt Fork in OH is also nice, but there isn't a lot of riding. Couple days and you have seen it all, but it is nice. Some bad trail spots, deep and boggy. Camping is no reservation, first come, first served. The campground is nice.

I forgot about another place we like. It's more toward central PA, but sure worth the drive. Big Elk Lick campground in Benezette, PA. We go there every fall, first week in October. There are herds of elk there. The trails are really nice and we always run into elk when we ride. One time we sort of got between 2 bulls and their cows. We were afraid they were going to fight, so we backed off to watch.

Edited by awesomeabby 2009-06-19 9:58 PM
awesomeabby
Reg. May 2008
Posted 2009-06-19 9:51 PM (#106708 - in reply to #106655)

Check out Hickory Creek Wilderness Ranch near Tidioute, PA. We've been to both places and Hickory Creek is, by far, our favorite.
Ncatanz
Reg. Jun 2008
Posted 2009-06-30 11:17 AM (#107344 - in reply to #106243)

Veteran

Just wanted to write an update.  I went to Bark Camp in Belmont Ohio which is only 30 minutes from Wheeling WVA and it was lovely !  Super clean and the park was real spread out so there were about a dozen hook ups then a 1/4 mile drive and then another dozen hook ups or so.  It was so nice I felt guilty for riding on their nicely cut grass.   Trails had a couple muddy spots but it has just rained the day before.  There is an 8 mile bridle path around Belmont lake which is really pretty.  I have been to Cook's forest which was a little too congested for me but I had great lessons with Josh Lyons which is why I went.  I am really enjoying horse camping.  But my friends say you really can't use the word camping when you have hot running water and a flat screen TV in your horse trailer!  Life is good!

awesomeabby
Reg. May 2008
Posted 2009-07-01 5:52 AM (#107384 - in reply to #106243)

We'll have to check that campground out; sounds nice and probably only a couple hours from me. My husband is a sports fanatic and we watch TV according to the season--baseball, football, basketball, and hockey season. LOL I draw the line on camping and won't allow him to bring a TV along. We were looking at a new TV for the house and I saw him looking at some little flat screens. I caught his eye and shook my head and had one word to say, "No." Enough said.