GN trailer squatting truck
Ncatanz
Reg. Jun 2008
Posted 2009-06-08 7:52 AM (#106108)
Subject: GN trailer squatting truck

Veteran

My new 3 horse gooseneck trailer with 6ft LQ is really squatting down the rear end of my 2001 2500HD 4x4 truck.  The gooseneck stem was adjusted and the trailer is level when hitched up.  The truck has about 110k miles on it and about 100K of those are hauling miles.  When I bought our new trailer it really sits down on the back end of the truck and the truck springs are level and straight,  not curved up like they are suppose to be.  On one section of I79 from Washington Pa to Pittsburgh going north it bucks if I go over 50 miles an hour.  I am looking into getting new heavier springs at Uniontown Auto Spring.  Do you think that new shocks are also needed to stop the bucking?  If I put super heavy springs on the truck will it bounce around like crazy when I drive it empty on a rare occasion?  I don't want to spend a ton of money on the truck because we will be looking into getting a new truck in about a year but I need to be safe.  What do you all think?

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2009-06-08 8:28 AM (#106110 - in reply to #106108)
Subject: RE: GN trailer squatting truck

Expert

Adding additional springs to your main stack, will make for a very rough ride when you're driving unloaded. I would recommend the addition of air bags, or my favourite, Timbren over load springs. Your truck will ride level, and if it is set up correctly, your empty ride will NOT be effected.

The only equal alternative if adding more springs, is to add to the overload springs and not your main stack.

If your shocks have not been changed in a while, replacements will take out much of the bouncing while travelling on our SW PA roads. I had my Timbrens installed at Island Spring on Neville Island and am very pleased.

Gard

luckysid1
Reg. May 2009
Posted 2009-06-11 2:07 PM (#106312 - in reply to #106108)

I wouldn't think your trailer would not weigh more than 6500 lbs empty. Even loaded your under 10,000 lbs. With maybe 2,000 lbs in the bed.  My 3/4 ton would not react like that to a load of that size. you might have broken springs under there not doing anything at all.  I would inspect the suspension see if everything is OK

barrelhorses
Reg. Feb 2009
Posted 2009-06-11 9:11 PM (#106327 - in reply to #106110)

Regular

+1 for Timbrens.  Easy to install. Not too expensive. Put them on and you will only know you have them when you are loaded.  No parts to maintain.  No adjusting air pressures etc.

I added a leaf to my 2000 F250.  It rode pretty rough to start with and darn sure didn't get any better after adding the spring.  I used Timbrens on my 2005 F350.  I have not done anything to the 08 yet, but if I do it will absolutely be Timbrens. 

Ncatanz
Reg. Jun 2008
Posted 2009-06-12 7:46 AM (#106345 - in reply to #106108)

Veteran

Thanks for the Timbren votes,  but I had one installer tell me that 50% of the ones he installed came back because people were unsatisfied.  I was also told that Timbrens concentrate the weight on one portion of the frame which is not good for the frame.  But some people are saying bad things about air bags as well.  It all depends what people are selling.  That's why I appreciate all you good folk and your opinions.  As far as the weight of my trailer,  is is actually 7,600 pounds.  My springs don't appear broken but they may very well be worn out from hauling my old gooseneck for the last 100,000 miles.
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2009-06-12 8:26 AM (#106347 - in reply to #106108)

Expert

One of the largest dissatisfactions with the Timbrens is a harsh ride when the truck is unloaded. The Timbrens can add an additional 6 K of capacity, (depending on application) so the ride will be drastically altered.

This condition is easily corrected during the installation process. Many installers will only use a one or two inch gap between the Timbrens and the frame. This does not allow enough suspension travel for a comfortable empty ride. The Timbrens will often be contacting the frame, causing the hard ride.

On our SD, the truck squats about 4" before the overload springs first contact the frame mounted blocks. We used this measurement for the Timbren installation. They are set to contact the frame at the same time as the factory overload springs. The original empty ride is unaffected, and the new total weight carrying capacity exceeds the truck's capabilities. The main spring pack is never fully loaded, the shocks are not used to their full limits, the original suspension is relieved of most of its loading, and experiences little wear.

Our truck rides normally when empty, and regardless of the weight it is carrying, it will only squat 4". These springs (rubber donuts) have done no damage to any part of the frame, and have been perfectly reliable, and maintenance free in many years of usage. I would not own a truck, in which towing or carrying heavy loads were often considered, without the addition of the Timbrens.

I first installed the Timbrens when we were hauling truck campers. Even with all the available towing and camper options, the truck would sway on curves, and porpoise on uneven roads. Adding a trailer to this mix aggravated the process considerably. The Timbrens cured these issues. When we bought or first LQ trailer, a long and moderately heavy trailer, the Timbrens afforded the same security and ride quality.

I would suspect that like the competitor of any product, the most adverse criticisms of the Timbrens, are the result of efforts to discredit the competition. I personally know many users of the Timbrens, and none have had any mechanical issues at all.

The Timbrens cost less than an air bag system, are easily installed, have no maintenance issues, and need no regular attention, regardless of what load you are carrying.

Gard

Ncatanz
Reg. Jun 2008
Posted 2009-06-12 10:07 AM (#106356 - in reply to #106108)

Veteran

Thank you Gard for the detailed explanation.  Knowledge is power.

gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2009-06-12 10:17 AM (#106359 - in reply to #106108)

Expert

Power. We all need more power.  You're welcome
chadsalt
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2009-06-12 11:41 AM (#106364 - in reply to #106108)

Expert

Well we've been through this before.  I have Timbrens on my pickup, and they work well.  However they most CERTAINLY do affect the empty ride.  When installed properly, per the instructions, there is either a 1" or 0" gap between the Timbren and the axle.  With the 1" being the most popular, as the 0" would provide a much stiffer ride all the time.  When that 1" clearance is used, anytime the road surface causes suspension travel beyond that 1" there will be a "bump" as the axle rapidly contacts the Timbren.  Some people find that annoying, some do not.....which probably yields the 50% mentioned above.

Since I had previously asked gard what pickup and Timbren kit he is using and thus far he has been unwilling/unable to provide that info,  I placed a call to Timbren customer service.  I was informed by Timbren there are no pickup kits that allow for 4" of travel, as that would defeat the purpose of the springs to begin with.   Pending further clarification, I would consider some of the above posted "knowledge" of the Timbren installation and adjustment suspect.

On my pickup, 4" of travel would allow the bed to dip below level by 1".  Of course not all pickups are the same height, but I can't see allowing 4" of drop being very useful to begin with.  With the 1" of clearance once the Timbens come in contact, additional weight can be absorbed (Timbrens do flex like a spring under weight) without dipping below level..........which I believe is what we were after.

Ncatanz,

If you have 100K towing that trailer, your springs are certainly tired.  If you plan on keeping the truck I would look into having the spring packs replaced.  If the truck will be around for short term, slap some Timbrens on and see how they do for you.   With tired springs the Timbrens could be set to come in contact at all times, and would provide a firmer ride......essentially supplementing the worn factory springs.

gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2009-06-12 12:51 PM (#106366 - in reply to #106364)

Expert

Originally written by chadsalt on 2009-06-12 12:41 PM

Since I had previously asked gard what pickup and Timbren kit he is using and thus far he has been unwilling/unable to provide that info,   Pending further clarification, I would consider some of the above posted "knowledge" of the Timbren installation and adjustment suspect.

YES, HERE WE GO AGAIN

Any discussion with this author always ends with the same conclusions. His supposed clairvoyance allows him to discount the experiences and actual events of another's  life. When he cannot factually disprove the occurrences, he will then attack the credibility and knowledge of anyone who disagrees with him. He has stated that his arguments are always correct and he knows what he's talking about. When this was factually shown to be untrue, he commented that people were picking on him.

I placed a call to Timbren customer service.  I was informed by Timbren there are no pickup kits that allow for 4" of travel, as that would defeat the purpose of the springs to begin with.  I can't see allowing 4" of drop being very useful to begin with

The reason I needed and had the Timbrens installed was for a loaded condition. With my truck, when approximately one ton of weight is in the bed, it will settle to where the overload springs begin to take effect. Since they only offer a few hundred extra pounds of support, they were of little use. The exact purpose of my Timbrens, is to offer a greater support when loaded, NOT empty. I don't want or need any additional support for the first amount of weight. I did not want a truck that rode any more rough than the stock settings

I invite anyone to measure the distance of my suspension deflection when it is loaded. I have several acquaintenances with similar installations. None are set with a one inch spacing, and not one of those owners has a rough empty ride. My Timbrens have been installed for some time, and I have no intention of removing them. Those are facts.

For someone that is completely oblivious to actual facts, that continually calls another a liar, is a very poor example. Whenever I make a posting about Timbrens, bearings, trailer loadings or my personal experiences, this author is constantly offering that his ability to perceive the events of another life, is more accurate than his own recollections or facts. He then resorts to personal attacks, name calling and innuendos.

I would suggest that he talks with a mechanic who actually is familiar with installing Timbren units, and who can suggest alternates. There are many installations that are available, and they can be chosen for specific applications.

Gard

chadsalt
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2009-06-12 1:32 PM (#106372 - in reply to #106366)

Expert

Originally written by gard on 2009-06-12 12:51 PM

Originally written by chadsalt on 2009-06-12 12:41 PM

Since I had previously asked gard what pickup and Timbren kit he is using and thus far he has been unwilling/unable to provide that info,   Pending further clarification, I would consider some of the above posted "knowledge" of the Timbren installation and adjustment suspect.

YES, HERE WE GO AGAIN

Any discussion with this author always ends with the same conclusions. His supposed clairvoyance allows him to discount the experiences and actual events of another's  life. When he cannot factually disprove the occurrences, he will then attack the credibility and knowledge of anyone who disagrees with him. He has stated that his arguments are always correct and he knows what he's talking about. When this was factually shown to be untrue, he commented that people were picking on him.

I placed a call to Timbren customer service.  I was informed by Timbren there are no pickup kits that allow for 4" of travel, as that would defeat the purpose of the springs to begin with.  I can't see allowing 4" of drop being very useful to begin with

The reason I needed and had the Timbrens installed was for a loaded condition. With my truck, when approximately one ton of weight is in the bed, it will settle to where the overload springs begin to take effect. Since they only offer a few hundred extra pounds of support, they were of little use. The exact purpose of my Timbrens, is to offer a greater support when loaded, NOT empty. I don't want or need any additional support for the first amount of weight. I did not want a truck that rode any more rough than the stock settings

I invite anyone to measure the distance of my suspension deflection when it is loaded. I have several acquaintenances with similar installations. None are set with a one inch spacing, and not one of those owners has a rough empty ride. My Timbrens have been installed for some time, and I have no intention of removing them. Those are facts.

For someone that is completely oblivious to actual facts, that continually calls another a liar, is a very poor example. Whenever I make a posting about Timbrens, bearings, trailer loadings or my personal experiences, this author is constantly offering that his ability to perceive the events of another life, is more accurate than his own recollections or facts. He then resorts to personal attacks, name calling and innuendos.

I would suggest that he talks with a mechanic who actually is familiar with installing Timbren units, and who can suggest alternates. There are many installations that are available, and they can be chosen for specific applications.

Gard

Good grief, how melodramatic.  Everything is not a personal attack on you gard.  It was a simple question (which you still did not answer) about an adjustable Timbren kit that some people would be interested in.  Apparently you were so put off at my audacity to question your long and eloquently written posts you feel it necessary to withhold that information. 

Of the dozen or so people I know, and the dozens of others I've talked to about their Timbrens, AND the 5 kits I have installed they were ALL of the 1" or 0" variety.  And since Timbren claims to only sell that type of kit, it looks like you and your "several acquaintenances" are the odd men out.........go figure.

All you had to say was you don't know which install kit was used on your truck......my clairvoyance is a little fuzzy on that subject for some reason. 

Oh, and if your going to respond by 'injecting' into the post like that, how about using a different color?  Don't want anybody confusing your/my statements.

figero
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2009-06-12 2:13 PM (#106375 - in reply to #106108)

Regular

Good Grief

chadsalt
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2009-06-12 2:17 PM (#106377 - in reply to #106375)

Expert

Originally written by figero on 2009-06-12 2:13 PM

Good Grief

Edited by chadsalt 2009-06-12 2:19 PM
chadsalt
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2009-06-12 3:55 PM (#106381 - in reply to #106366)

Expert

Originally written by gard on 2009-06-12 12:51 PM

............he commented that people were picking on him.............

Yes, I know it is bad form to partially quote, but if you will allow me;

After a seach I am unable to find anything I posted that resembled that.  Where is this comment I made that people were picking on me?  Certainly doesn't sound like something I would say, I seriously doubt anyone here would consider me thin-skinned.

I have, however, repeatedly stated I don't see how anyone could get upset by a comment made by a screen name........push the red X and walk away.  Crying about someone's response to my posts is not my thing, they can stand on their own. 

BlazingCreekBar
Reg. Nov 2008
Posted 2009-06-13 7:43 AM (#106395 - in reply to #106108)

Extreme Veteran

Back to subject "team" ;) .... Ncatanz - Replacing your old springs and even having the spring company add an improved overload spring pack would be my course of action for your application. Bring the trailer with you when you go down to the spring company. I have had airbags (never again) super springs (Not bad, yet a lesser of a truck) and have noodled and noodled on the timbrens. Yet for a 3.25 inch drop in a truck that is supposed to carry and haul extensively I am having a hard time adding to the suspension. However I have considered having a local spring company add an improved overload pack. Good luck and be safe.
retento
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2009-06-13 7:49 AM (#106396 - in reply to #106108)

Expert

it bucks if I go over 50 miles an hour

Got to wonder what the "pin weight" is, when it was doing that bucking thing.....

barrelhorses
Reg. Feb 2009
Posted 2009-06-14 7:57 PM (#106435 - in reply to #106108)

Regular

I didn't bother reading all the back and forth stuff....

On my 2005 F350, I installed the Timbrens myself laying flat on my back in the driveway.  The directions indicated to leave about 1/2" between the frame and Timbren for 3/4 and 1 ton trucks.  It recommended about an inch, I believe, for 1/2 tons.  The set that I got from trucksprings.com came with a couple of different spacers and an approximately 2" thick base.  I installed my set per the recommendations, about 1/2" from timbren to frame.  But I am pretty sure I could have ommitted the base and the spacers to provide about 4" between the Timbren and the frame. 

If I install a set on my current truck, I do plan to leave at least an inch, maybe two, between the Timbren and the frame. However, I really never noticed any negative effects to the ride of my 2005 with the space only being about 1/2". 

Edited by barrelhorses 2009-06-14 7:58 PM
CurlyRidingcowboy
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2009-06-15 7:55 AM (#106446 - in reply to #106108)

I have 2002 Chevy 2500HD Gas 6.0 crew cab short bed with timbrens in it. I pull a 6ft short wall 4 horse featherlite with an awing, a couch, air and heat. 

I work for a company the distributes suspension parts to shops and have seen all different kinds of load leveling kits.  I personally do use the Timbren kit for myself and on the company show truck.

This seems to limit the sway when pulling the trailer as well as supports the springs. If I hit a big bump empty or a railroad track empty the timbrens will hit and cause a jolt in suspension.

You can also look at husky spring overloads wich will limit sway when both loaded and unloaded plus will support the suspension.

Air lift makes a kit now similar to the timbren or you can do a compelte air system. Look up fourwheeler magazine it was in last months issue.

We ride with a person who has an older half ton and pulls an 4 horse 7ft LQ with an airlift system. I do like my timbren kit and will keep on my truck I currently have a 136,000 miles on my truck. I would consider the ani sway kit from husky as well but I prefer not to have to fill or unfill anything so I stay away from air lift.

Ncatanz
Reg. Jun 2008
Posted 2009-06-15 8:39 AM (#106449 - in reply to #106108)

Veteran

BlazingCreekBar,

Why did you say "never again"  to air bags?

Shari
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2009-06-15 9:28 AM (#106452 - in reply to #106108)

Veteran

How much are these tembrens? Going to tell hubby about them, don't know if we need them or not.
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2009-06-15 11:21 AM (#106464 - in reply to #106108)

Expert

http://www.stengelbros.com/TimbrenRideControlKits.htm
barrelhorses
Reg. Feb 2009
Posted 2009-06-15 8:59 PM (#106505 - in reply to #106452)

Regular

Originally written by Shari on 2009-06-15 10:28 AM

How much are these tembrens? Going to tell hubby about them, don't know if we need them or not.

I know Gard posted one site.  You can try truckspring.com or you can do a google search for "timbrens" and you'll get pages of possibilities. 

retento
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2009-06-16 5:33 PM (#106543 - in reply to #106108)

Expert

I wonder, if a set of "Timbrens" would help this truck....?

A thread about Timbrens over at RV.Net....

http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/22871614.cfm

barrelhorses
Reg. Feb 2009
Posted 2009-06-18 10:31 PM (#106643 - in reply to #106543)

Regular

I think that truck needs more than Timbrens....

I just ordered a set of Timbrens for my 2008 truck from www.truckspring.com .  $229.95 total including shipping to my door.  I hopefully will get them by Monday or Tuesday, install them Wednesday or Thursday and will put them to use heading to Midwest Trail Ride next weekend. 

Tx. Vaquero
Reg. Jun 2006
Posted 2009-06-19 5:44 AM (#106646 - in reply to #106543)

Originally written by retento on 2009-06-16 5:33 PM

I wonder, if a set of "Timbrens" would help this truck....?

A thread about Timbrens over at RV.Net....

http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/22871614.cfm

Isn't that Barrack in the purple? Must be his new appointees to run the nationalized financial system and car companies 'Movin On Up'. Where's Gard?

st_pinetree
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2009-06-19 3:54 PM (#106693 - in reply to #106108)

Timbren customer here, very satisfied with them, I only notice them empty on the largest of bumps (probably hit them 2-3 times in two years.