Merhow or Cimarron or Kiefer?
woollybugger
Reg. Sep 2008
Posted 2009-04-05 9:11 PM (#102796)
Subject: Merhow or Cimarron or Kiefer?

We are looking at new or nearly new 3 horse versions of the Merhow Verilite, the Cimarron Norstar and the Kiefer Built Genesis.

Any preference? We are leaning toward an 8 wide and 8 foot SW LQ the biggest difference in price seems to be in the interiors.

I'm more interested in construction and durability. Also any issues with how the waste water tanks might be mounted as we have been know to camp in rather off road locations where you might drag bottom a bit getting in and out of a campsite (wide spot of the government gravel).

Thanks,

Mark Pfeifer
North Dakota
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
HWBar
Reg. Nov 2005
Posted 2009-04-06 5:31 AM (#102808 - in reply to #102796)
Subject: RE: Merhow or Cimarron or Kiefer?

Expert

As far as construction they will all be similar, they all use a type of interlocking floor, Cimmarron uses the FRP for the roof, the tanks should all be the same, mounted flush thru the floor. I don't think the Merhow Verylite or the Kiefer Genisis are available in 8' wide. Keifer's Evolution is 8' wide, I'm not sure if Merhow has an 8' wide, but the Merhow will be 7'6" tall and that is nice. Given all three in a lineup similar interiors and price, it would be a cointoss.

lesliemal
Reg. Sep 2007
Posted 2009-04-06 6:35 AM (#102809 - in reply to #102796)

Extreme Veteran

I have a Kiefer Genesis X8093 and it is 8" wide  7'6" tall.  I love it. Kiefer does have one of the better warrantees.  I did have an issue when I initially purchased the trailer but it was handled and the folks at Kiefer were very accomodating.
tobruk
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2009-04-06 6:44 AM (#102810 - in reply to #102796)

Veteran

Merhow has an 8 year warranty and it's 8 wide, 7'6" tall.
jctoec
Reg. Aug 2005
Posted 2009-04-06 9:23 AM (#102823 - in reply to #102796)

Cimarron is a custom trailer. They are built incredibly well. All of the hinges are welded on instead of screwed on. All of the windows and doors have 6" internal frames, they do not use poprivites, the under bracing is 6" on center, all aluminum construction, etc. I can't say enough about them. They are an incredible trailer that will last you for years to come.
DD_TrailerMan
Reg. Jul 2008
Posted 2009-04-06 9:49 AM (#102824 - in reply to #102823)

Veteran

My opinion in order is Cimmaron, then Merhow, then Keifer.  Double D does not sell any of these brands, but I would undoubtedly pick the Cimmaron out of those three.

Bartley Heath
bartley@DoubleDTrailers.com
Buy Factory Direct Aluminum Horse Trailers at DoubleDTrailers.com

HWBar
Reg. Nov 2005
Posted 2009-04-06 10:28 AM (#102825 - in reply to #102796)

Expert

Man, the dealerships must be slow this morning. I get a funny feeling you have recieved at least 3 PM's about trailers that certain dealers have in stock.

woollybugger
Reg. Sep 2008
Posted 2009-04-06 10:46 AM (#102827 - in reply to #102796)

Surprisingly only one PM and no answers here regarding how the tanks are mounted and if any will be better or worse for pasture camping.

I would love to hear the real deal on why one is better than the other. or any others I should consider for that matter.

I should also look at the weights and locations of the axles to see if any might be easier to pull than the others. Comparing pin weights between brands seems like it should be simple spec shopping but I have so far found that easier said than done.

We camp in the BBBs (Badlands of ND, the Blackhills of SD, the Bighorns of WY) and usually camp away from any hook ups on grass pasture parking spots.

Tight twisty dirt roads make a longer trailer less desirable and I am not sure a glide out would stand up to this type of travel so we are leaning toward the wider 8' rather than the narrow version with a glide. I would love to hear anyone's real world experiences.

Thanks again.

HWBar
Reg. Nov 2005
Posted 2009-04-06 11:01 AM (#102829 - in reply to #102827)

Expert

Most LQ companies will use a standard holding tank, it will have a lip at the top that is attached thru the floor before the finiished floor is installed. They are a real pain to replace, I have done a couple. I build every tank from aluminum to fit the brand trailer that I am working on, I find 2 benefits in this approach, 1 they are very easy to repace if needed(I haven't had to replace one yet) because they are bolted to the cross-members not through the floor, unless you buy a Cimmarron/Hart due to the floor they use, also they are made out of aluminum so they can stand a little more abuse, I have a guy that has dented one already. Most LQ trailers from my experience are not built for rough service.

The pin weights will be practically impossible to determine, most manufacturers don't even know the weights, and this can be very frustrating, I, like you thought this would be something that was pretty straight forward, it's almost like the manufacturers want to keep these numbers a secret.

genebob
Reg. Nov 2007
Posted 2009-04-06 2:01 PM (#102839 - in reply to #102796)

Elite Veteran

We bought a Kiefer Genesis model 8083 last September. It is 8' wide, 7'6" tall and love it. The short wall is 8'8" with a 12'10" long wall. The conversion company that did ours put the fresh water tank inside under the couch. The black and grey tanks are set back near the rear of the LQ. They are set up high enough that it might be difficult to do any damage to them. We also get into some pretty rough areas and were concerned about it also.

We bought ours at Denny's Trailer Sales in Wykoff, MN and see by his web site he has one very similar to ours.

figero
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2009-04-06 2:48 PM (#102843 - in reply to #102829)

Regular

when you order your trailer have the axles blocked and have a skid plate to protect your tanks. you can also have taller tires put on your trailer. Blocking and taller tires will raise the trailer to protect the bottom and will also raise the floor making a higher step up. Also when you talk with the converter ask them to put those tanks close to the axles. Also I think the lower structure of the Merhow is the stronger of the three. and would be the best for your needs.
BobBull
Reg. Apr 2009
Posted 2009-04-06 6:06 PM (#102856 - in reply to #102796)

New User

Mark, please give us a call with you trailer questions.

I have some nice living quarter trailers on the lot

the website is www.featherlitend.com

Bob
701-663-0634 day or evening
perk2754
Reg. Oct 2007
Posted 2009-04-07 6:52 AM (#102884 - in reply to #102796)

Veteran

I can't comment on the LQ issues, other than the LQ interiors can differ even within the specific brands.  It depends on which conversion company is used for the LQ.  What I can comment on is the fact that I just bought a Merhow and have been very pleased with the customer service.  I had the pleasure of meeting the president of Merhow and spent a long time talking with him.  He has been builing trailers for a long time and has put a lot of thought into the design.  I purchased mine through HorsePro trailers and had a great experience.  I spent a lot of time climbing in and out of trailers before buying the Merhow and was very impressed with the "feel" of it plus it has the nicest dividers I've seen (small but importaint detail). As a side note, I had a Kiefer before buying the Merhow.  I liked the Kiefer and it was a solid trailer but I wanted some goodies (walk thru door, a/c, awning, etc.) thait is didn't have and it made more financial sense to buy a new one with them on it.

Anyway, good luck in your decision.  All 3 of the brands you mention are good ones.

born2ride
Reg. Oct 2008
Posted 2009-04-07 10:06 AM (#102888 - in reply to #102796)

you might want to take a look at the Silverlite for 'tank safety' and all terrain toughness. I realize the price will be higher but you really do get what you pay for. I bought my SilverLite from Midwest Trailer Sales in Wi and although it's BP I learned all about the LQ models for the future...I plan on buying one in a year or two. 51 Oh and you get a ten year warranty with Silverlite.
woollybugger
Reg. Sep 2008
Posted 2009-04-07 4:09 PM (#102913 - in reply to #102796)

Thanks for all the help. If one would block the axles to raise the trailer how much would you suggest? More than 3" and I might want a ramp.

Thanks again - Mark
figero
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2009-04-08 11:51 AM (#102953 - in reply to #102913)

Regular

I would think 3" would be about as high as I would want to go
horsey1
Reg. Dec 2004
Posted 2009-04-08 11:55 AM (#102954 - in reply to #102796)

Elite Veteran

On blocking- be careful. It will make the ramp steeper also. Blocking for the sake of blocking isn't wise. Different brands sit decidedly different standard. Find out what is normal for the brand you choose, then decide if it needs to be blocked to suit your needs & terrain.
Marla
Reg. Mar 2008
Posted 2009-04-08 12:42 PM (#102956 - in reply to #102827)

Extreme Veteran

Originally written by woollybugger on 2009-04-06 9:46 AM

Surprisingly only one PM and no answers here regarding how the tanks are mounted and if any will be better or worse for pasture camping. I would love to hear the real deal on why one is better than the other. or any others I should consider for that matter. I should also look at the weights and locations of the axles to see if any might be easier to pull than the others. Comparing pin weights between brands seems like it should be simple spec shopping but I have so far found that easier said than done. We camp in the BBBs (Badlands of ND, the Blackhills of SD, the Bighorns of WY) and usually camp away from any hook ups on grass pasture parking spots. Tight twisty dirt roads make a longer trailer less desirable and I am not sure a glide out would stand up to this type of travel so we are leaning toward the wider 8' rather than the narrow version with a glide. I would love to hear anyone's real world experiences. Thanks again.

The best way to prevent dragging your holding tanks off is to install a sheet metal guard under the trailer tanks.  This also prevents mud and other debris for accumulating on and around the tanks and protects the tank insulation.  This is a relatively inexpensive fix, and sure beats repairing the damage after the fact.

Marla

nd deb
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2009-04-08 4:42 PM (#102968 - in reply to #102796)

Veteran

If you get a chance, check out Elites.  Their quality really makes them stick out.  Looking at your name and from you saying you are from ND, I am guessing you are from Lidgerwood?  I am Deb Knudson from Hankinson.   I recently bought an Elite from a dealership in Wycoff Mn and I am really impressed with how it is built.   You are welcomed to come over and look at it.   

nd deb
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2009-04-08 4:46 PM (#102970 - in reply to #102796)

Veteran

Also just going to mention..  about the tanks.  I had the dealer put mine on.  They are located in the rear 2 ft of the lq.  When I ordered the trailer I told them I was going to put a lq in and they spaced out the braces in that area 24 inches so that the tanks could be mounted inbetween there.  You are welcomed to come look at mine to see how they were placed.    

Elites also have an 8 yr warranty.  It used to be 5 but they made it longer. 

Edited by nd deb 2009-04-08 4:48 PM
nd deb
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2009-04-08 4:56 PM (#102971 - in reply to #102970)

Veteran

Just to make you aware...  It might depend on the trailer but a 6 ft glide will end up being around 10K.  We were looking at getting one on ours and were quite surprised to find out that it was that much.   Ended up going with a little over 8 wide.  We also blocked the wheels and dropped the nose.  I am not so worried about the tanks but more so on how turning to get into places.  I am going from an 18 ft to 28 ft.  It might be a little different in what I am used to in taking turns.  Have to keep reminding my self to take turns very wide. 
ecoman
Reg. Apr 2009
Posted 2009-04-09 3:52 PM (#103055 - in reply to #102971)

I have had my Merhow (verylite 2 horse 10 foot on the short wall eight foot wide) two years, My wife and I have trail rode in 16 states working on 48 the trailer has been without problem. I had mine lifted 3 inches. My horses have not had problem one getting in (15 and 15 1 hands)I have hung up my axle twice and had to have help getting out but no problem with the tanks. Did have a skid plate put under the tanks. I called the factory and they gave me all kinds of help setting things up. Bought my trailer from Robbs trailers he was also very helpful.I am not saying their is anything wrong with your other options, don't know much about them. Sounds like we do about the samething with ours as you do and it has worked for us
woollybugger
Reg. Sep 2008
Posted 2009-04-09 4:46 PM (#103057 - in reply to #102968)

Hi Deb:

might take you up on that . .

Edited by woollybugger 2009-04-09 4:47 PM
another has been
Reg. Apr 2009
Posted 2009-04-10 11:47 AM (#103125 - in reply to #102796)

New User

We have an 05 Merhow with the Double Duty Conversion.  My trailer is "Higher" off the ground. No trouble with horsese lading or unloading.  We rodeo alot. no trouble with dragging or messing up the holding tanks. The only problem I have or have had is with the saddle rack, the pins would wiggle, wear and break. Merhow would send more and we have had to atke and have them welded and fixed. I think the holes were too big int he beginning when trailer was made. The horses get really hot - so make sure you get front and back drop down windows.  We live in SE Missouri, it is humid, but they even get too warm in the winter. We just have drop windows on head and bus windows on butt side.  Horses have plenty of room.  Now I am having problems in the LQ. When you step into LQ the floor has rotten - no water leaks or nothing. When we pulled the tile up one section in the middle of the floor has just crumbled.  The dealer thinks it was just a defective piece of wood.  But of course no one will stand behind it. Trailer pulls great
woollybugger
Reg. Sep 2008
Posted 2009-04-10 11:55 AM (#103128 - in reply to #103125)

Is your trailer an EquiStar or an AlumiStar?

The VeriLite only comes with full aluminum floor.
I believe the current Alumistar has wood only under the horses.

I have not looked at or considered the Equistar since it has a steel frame.

Thanks,

Mark
another has been
Reg. Apr 2009
Posted 2009-04-10 12:17 PM (#103129 - in reply to #102796)

New User

I have the verylite. your are correct it does have an all aluminum floor, but there is insulation on the floor, then plywood and then the vinyl peel and stick tiles. This is in the dressing room. So I really don't think this is a Merhow problem, but the conversion company.