Tongue Length ? re BP hitched to Motorhome
lkshaw
Reg. Mar 2009
Posted 2009-03-26 8:47 AM (#102134)
Subject: Tongue Length ? re BP hitched to Motorhome

We're looking to purchase a two horse straight load bumper pull that will normally be pulled with a dually but we  might have the opportunity later down the road to hitch behind a motorhome.  What advantages are there to adding to the tongue length?  Is it necessary to addd to the tongue length?  Input please.  Thanks, Leslie

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2009-03-26 9:09 AM (#102137 - in reply to #102134)
Subject: RE: Tongue Length ? re BP hitched to Motorhome

Expert

Assuming that you have a qualified fabricator to effect the tongue extention, it is better to go that route than extend the hitch.

The main advantage is a less likely chance of jackknifing the trailer, and having proper clearance at the corners of your RV when turning.

Gard

NorCal
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2009-03-26 9:44 AM (#102140 - in reply to #102134)

An extended tongue would work, but as Gard says, you sure want to use a good fabricator.  The other thing I would consider, having gone through this myself, is a class V hitch system.  The problem you run into is that as you entend the hitch, the weight factor becomes greater on the hitch system.  The other factor is that you need an extension long enough to prevent the trailer coming into contact with the tow vehicle on sharp turns, such as you encounter in back country areas or campsite access.  The class V system uses a 2 1/2 inch adapter, I believe, with a reducer sleeve to accomadate standard 2 inch ball mounts.  Reese makes a good class V system and you can check thier website to see if they have a system that wil fit your motorhome.
coltaffyjo
Reg. Apr 2007
Posted 2009-03-26 8:10 PM (#102180 - in reply to #102134)

Regular

Why are u adding to the tongue length??? If your tow vehicles are set up with the correct hitch, electric brake, and weight distribution hitch, why the extension? I tow my 3 horse BP with my dually and used to own an RV that pulled the trailer. I was a fanatic about the purchase of the RV----made sure the frame would support the extra weight demands of our trailer. After we made our RV choice, and installed the electric brake, the system worked PERFECT. I would remove the ball and wdh bars and insert them into the reciever of the RV and plug in and go..........I MUST add......When you are in the market for an RV.....Several things.......HOMEWORK and RESEARCH!!!! Please know the weight of your loaded horse trailer!!!! You will be AMAZED at the number......I was only comfortable pulling my trailer, horses. and kids following the manufacturers specifications or should say LIMITATIONS!!! ENJOY and best of Luck!!!