Exiss drop down window rotted!!!
mag08
Reg. Mar 2009
Posted 2009-03-10 10:53 PM (#101088)
Subject: Exiss drop down window rotted!!!

Did you know that Exiss trailers drop down windows are made of wood with an aluminum frame?  I went to close my window the other night and it fell off.  Why would an aluminum trailer have wood built into the construction? The reason it fell off is because the wood rotted on the inside and the screw would not hold anymore.  All the aluminum parts are in perfect working order the wood just needs to be replaced.  Has anyone ever fixed one?  I have pictures...
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
RTSmith
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2009-03-11 8:50 AM (#101110 - in reply to #101088)
Subject: RE: Exiss drop down window rotted!!!

Elite Veteran

Mag- Exiss has used several drop windows over the years and likely from differing vendors. As it looks like we are very close to you, please let us know if we can be of assistance. Yours may be rebuildable or it may just be better to replace. Oftentimes if a problem shows up later like this one may be doing, the replacement will be engineered differently. Give us a call at 931-685-4040. Roger is our Svc Mgr and can help you on this.
RTSmith
www.SelectTrailer.com
flyinghfarm
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2009-03-11 9:20 AM (#101116 - in reply to #101088)

Expert

It is likely that the window manufacturer sold windows to a variety of trailer manufacturers as well....ours have no wood in them, where that would be is insulation instead of wood.
retento
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2009-03-11 9:28 AM (#101118 - in reply to #101088)

Expert

http://www.statewidealum.com/livestock-trailers-statewide-alum.htm
mag08
Reg. Mar 2009
Posted 2009-03-11 12:37 PM (#101136 - in reply to #101088)

I have pictures if anyone would like to see them to give me some ideas on how to fix

Edited by mag08 2009-03-25 7:44 PM
Linda Y
Reg. May 2007
Posted 2009-03-11 2:57 PM (#101148 - in reply to #101088)

Extreme Veteran

Mag, my window fell off my Exiss, too. But it was the aluminum hinge that broke. I contacted Exiss, and they were wonderful in getting it replaced. Seems there was a problem with the hinges being put on wrong or something and it stressed the aluminum until it cracked.

Get in touch with the company and tell them what happened. They may help!

retento
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2009-03-11 3:14 PM (#101149 - in reply to #101088)

Expert

The problem with the hinges breaking is, aluminum hinge with a steel pin running through it with no lubricant between the two. If they are used pretty much every week or three they will stay free. If not they will seize. I got one on the Silver Star that don't get much use that was about to seize, I kept it wet with diesel fuel and Mobil 1, 10W30 for several weeks. I would fold it up and down about 3 dozen time every few days. It works as good as new now. Another thing is to spray the hinges, latches and the sliding window rubber/felt gaskets with a silicone lubricant quarterly/every 3 months.... That will keep every thing moving nice and smooth!!

mag08
Reg. Mar 2009
Posted 2009-03-11 8:37 PM (#101155 - in reply to #101088)

No, the hinge is still intact to the trailer.  The only reason the window fell off is because the wood rotted and the screw would not hold.  All the aluminum features of the window are in perfect working order.  It is just the poor choice in construction to use wood in between the aluminum.  They only used these type windows/doors for a few years and the wood started to rot and doors/windows were falling off so they changed the design and no longer used wood.  They learned the product was defective and they would fix or replace these defective products.  But now they are trying to brush me off stating that it is no longer under warranty but this is not a warranty issue.  The problem is they were manufacturing a defective part which they have replaced and now the company has made a decision that "enough is enough".

Edited by mag08 2009-03-25 7:41 PM
HWBar
Reg. Nov 2005
Posted 2009-03-12 5:15 AM (#101162 - in reply to #101088)

Expert

How old is your trailer? Warranty items are "free from Manufacturers defects" sounds like your issue could be some kind of manufacturer defect. I know from past experiences on this board that Exiss goes above and beyond to keep people happy with their product. Replacing a window that is say 5-6 years old would be outside the warranty but could be justified. Replacing a window that is 10 years old or older would just be outside of anyones realm of warranty. When trailers or anything else gets to certain age then it becomes an "upkeep/maintenance" item instead of a warranty item. Sounds like you already have at least one dealer trying to help you already, but age of trailer could be the factor.

Tresvolte
Reg. Feb 2008
Posted 2009-03-12 7:53 AM (#101169 - in reply to #101088)

Wood was a common filler for many years on many doors on horse trailers and RVs. Everything from camper doors, manger doors, feed doors, you name it. No manufacturer's defect on it. It wasn't designed to last forever. Many companies, Exiss not being the only one, used the same companies to supply the same doors.
mag08
Reg. Mar 2009
Posted 2009-03-12 8:49 AM (#101173 - in reply to #101088)

I understand that during the time my trailer was built a lot of the trailer companies purchased these windows and doors. Again this is not a warranty issue. These were defective products they no longer use on their trailers that they acknowledged was defective and changed. This is a 2002 trailer that has been kept indoors which is why it has lasted so long. The defect with this window is not the aluminum construction. If it did not have wood as the filler it would still be attached. My problem with Exiss is they knew these windows were defective and have fixed many for customers but they told me they have fixed enough of them and enough is enough. You don't sacrifice quality over cost when your brand name is on the line.
horsey1
Reg. Dec 2004
Posted 2009-03-12 9:04 AM (#101176 - in reply to #101088)

Elite Veteran

OK now- it is 7 years old, it had what- a 1-3 year warranty or so? But now you are bashing the company to fix it for free to protect their name, on a product that they didn't even design or make but merely included as part of the package. What's the point or bother of printing a warranty if every time something happens a company gets blackmailed into fixing it? Whatever happened in America to- it has some age on it and maybe I need to do some work on it? Sure, in hindsight every product is improved over time, but the factories cannot go back and effect those changes to all past units at no charge. Come on, let's take some adult responsibility here. I'm sure they'll be of some help, but I'm not sure this is the best way to get it.

Edited by horsey1 2009-03-12 9:06 AM
Tresvolte
Reg. Feb 2008
Posted 2009-03-12 9:12 AM (#101178 - in reply to #101088)

I had a camper door do the same thing. Trailer was 7 years old. Asked them to replace, they said no, out of warranty. I said okay and fixed it myself. I never really expected them to fix it, but had been told they had fixed some. Asked them about that and they said yes we did, as long as they were under warranty.
billmrmi
Reg. May 2008
Posted 2009-03-12 1:39 PM (#101202 - in reply to #101088)

Did you buy it new?
mag08
Reg. Mar 2009
Posted 2009-03-25 3:09 PM (#102074 - in reply to #101088)

Do they use these parts on their trailers now? No...because they have proved defective and replaced them with a better quality part. Sure aluminum trailers require maintenance which I have done. These defective doors and windows are not a result of damage caused by misuse, improper handling or maintenance or lack of but as a result of poor workmanship. Therefore, this has nothing to do with whether or not it is covered under warranty. This is a quality issue that could define who they are as a company and whether or not they are willing to stand behind their product and workmanship. I work for a company that manufactures building products and our mission is to be a respectable, profitable and growing manufacturer of building products. We pride ourselves in being the supplier of choice that offers quality products and reliable services and stand behind our products 100%. We do offer a warranty on our products but a defective product does not fall under a blanket warranty. We paid over 1 billion dollars to replace and install a faulty product because we could not put our name on the line. I would hope that they could say the same. I bought an aluminum trailer because I wanted a trailer that would last a lifetime but windows/doors falling off because they chose poor quality materials is cheap and senseless and if they can't stand behind the fact that they recognized it was poor qualtiy workmanship and are not willing to fix their mistake than I can't either.

Edited by mag08 2009-03-25 7:43 PM
Tresvolte
Reg. Feb 2008
Posted 2009-03-25 3:18 PM (#102075 - in reply to #101088)

So how long would you expect them to stand behind it?
flyinghfarm
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2009-03-25 3:23 PM (#102077 - in reply to #101088)

Expert

Hmmmm. ours is a 2001, parked outside, and the windows and doors still look and function perfectly.  Perhaps you could contact the manufacturer of the window .
mag08
Reg. Mar 2009
Posted 2009-03-25 3:42 PM (#102080 - in reply to #101088)

The manufacture of these windows is called Creations but conveniently they went out of business. 

Edited by mag08 2009-03-25 4:17 PM
mag08
Reg. Mar 2009
Posted 2009-03-25 3:52 PM (#102082 - in reply to #101088)

Edited by mag08 2009-03-25 4:16 PM
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2009-03-25 3:55 PM (#102084 - in reply to #101088)

Expert

There is a repair that could be effected using epoxies. However since you are only here to trash Exiss, that would not be of interest to you.

We also have a 2001 with no issues.

Did you hear about the Exiss with an exploding roof?

Gard

mag08
Reg. Mar 2009
Posted 2009-03-25 4:13 PM (#102087 - in reply to #101088)

No sir, I am not here to trash Exiss.  As a matter of fact I love my trailer but I do not feel that the issue I am having is my fault but a manufacture defect.  If this was caused by lack of maintenance on the trailer I would fix it but regardless of how old the trailer was if wood was not used as a componet the window would never have fallen off.  But I posted here to find out what is going on because I could not believe the window was constructed the way it was.  I got some helpful info and I talked to Exiss who blew me off and I sent a letter to Universal who has yet to reach me.  I was going to give them a little time to respond.  All I am asking is they do the right thing and fix it.  I don't want a new trailer I just want what I paid for.

Edited by mag08 2009-03-25 7:46 PM
genebob
Reg. Nov 2007
Posted 2009-03-25 4:47 PM (#102091 - in reply to #101088)

Elite Veteran

Exciss probably found out that these windows were not up to their standards at some point and either changed suppliers or specifications. They also probably did replace these windows for a specified period of time. But, at some point they had to draw a line and say "no more." They could not stand by them forever or the cost would break them. I guess after seven years I would let it drop.

Just my opinion for what it's worth.

mag08
Reg. Mar 2009
Posted 2009-03-25 7:37 PM (#102101 - in reply to #101088)

Gard - you are right and that is basically what they are telling me and I understand that but I can't apologize that my trailer has been kept indoors and out of the weather which is probably why it has lasted this long but that does not excuse them.  All I am asking is that they do what is fair and fix it.   In the business world I work in reputation counts because without customers you have no business.

It is almost a false advertisement.  For example - if I purchased a trailer with a wood floor I know over time that it would need replacing.  I was sold on the confidence that I purchased an aluminum trailer that would last a long time with proper maintenance like re-sealing the roof, packing the bearings, etc. 

What if I was driving down the highway and the window fell off and hit a car behind me and caused an accident that resulted in a death.   They could be sued very easily and I don't think I would want that resposilbility on my business so I am asking for them to take the opportunity and do the right thing.  Safety is first and foremost and these windows are not safe.  What caused the window to come apart was the small screw holding the frame to the wood.  I am just glad it happened when I was parked and caught it myself. 

Again I plan on allowing them the opportunity to do the right thing and that will determine how I feel about their trailers.  Up until this I was pleased with my trailer.

Edited by mag08 2009-03-25 7:51 PM
Barfly
Reg. Jun 2008
Posted 2009-03-26 1:35 AM (#102111 - in reply to #101088)

Veteran

I have to agree with most of the comments on thie thread. Your trailer is 7 years old - and you cannot possably hold the manufacturer responsable forever.

I do not think that any manufacturer would purposly use a product that is going to fail. You will probably find that at the time of manufacture it was the best product available at the price. You must also remember that you did not buy a top of the line trailer either - so expecting Rolls Royce back-up after 7 years is kind of nonsensical - if you only bought a Mazda.

I would put my pride in my pocket and take the advice that has been offered.

barrelhorses
Reg. Feb 2009
Posted 2009-03-26 4:35 AM (#102112 - in reply to #102101)

Regular

What if I was driving down the highway and the window fell off and hit a car behind me and caused an accident that resulted in a death.   They could be sued very easily and I don't think I would want that resposilbility on my business so I am asking for them to take the opportunity and do the right thing.  Safety is first and foremost and these windows are not safe.  What caused the window to come apart was the small screw holding the frame to the wood.  I am just glad it happened when I was parked and caught it myself. 

My guess is that on a seven year old trailer, there would be no liability on the company if the window fell off going down the road and hit a car behind you.  Sure the manufacturer could be sued -- you can sue anyone for anything -- but I doubt if the complaint would hold water.  Any and all liability in this scenario would truly be the trailer owner.  As the owner of a 7 year old trailer or 18 minute old car, you have a duty to make reasonable efforts at making sure the vehicle is safe to roll down the road. If the attorney representing the family whose loved one died as a result of your window falling off your trailer can prove that you were aware of the potential safety defect but took no steps to avoid the negative outcome (i.e. remove or repair the window or somehow otherwise secure it so it would not fall off) then you are going to be in pretty hot water because of your negligence. 

mag08
Reg. Mar 2009
Posted 2009-03-26 7:01 AM (#102119 - in reply to #101088)

That is the point...I had no idea the window was constructed of wood and from the looks and mechanics of the window it was in perfect working order.  There are no instructions in my trailer maintenance guide that says I need to take the windows apart to see if they are structurally sound. Who would think that they would use wood componets besides the LQ... it is an aluminum trailer;)

They have already had a Class Action Lawsuit against them that resulted in a death because the design of the trailer was found to be defective and they were liable because they had not tested the design to be sound nor warned trailer owners. “There’s a lot of people who are trailing horses that are lulled into a false sense of security,” stated the family's attorney. The owner of the horse and trailer was not found to be negligent in the death. And an Exiss spokesman did not return messages seeking comment.

To be quite honest I don't want to be caught up in something like that and I am very lucky that I discovered the windows defect before something like that could have happened and the window will be fixed because safety is number one but I will not honor their name if they won't back it. 

Edited by mag08 2009-03-26 8:25 AM
reeree3333
Reg. Mar 2009
Posted 2009-03-26 7:29 AM (#102123 - in reply to #101088)

New User

"Mag08, did you buy it new?"
mag08
Reg. Mar 2009
Posted 2009-03-26 8:42 AM (#102133 - in reply to #101088)

You know the reason for this whole post was for me to find out how to fix my window but no one has offered any guidance other than to bash me and this has left a very bad taste in my mouth towards Exiss.

So if anyone has any instructions on how to re-construct the window without the use of wood please speak up.  There is no reason not to re-furbish the existing parts because they are in perfect shape.

Tresvolte
Reg. Feb 2008
Posted 2009-03-26 9:09 AM (#102138 - in reply to #102133)

Originally written by mag08 on 2009-03-26 8:42 AM

You know the reason for this whole post was for me to find out how to fix my window but no one has offered any guidance other than to bash me and this has left a very bad taste in my mouth towards Exiss.

I don't think anyone intended to bash you. Going back and re-reading your original post, I still took it the same way.

So if anyone has any instructions on how to re-construct the window without the use of wood please speak up.  There is no reason not to re-furbish the existing parts because they are in perfect shape.

When I rebuilt my door, I went back with wood. Just better wood than the soft pine that was originally used. Mine was a full size camper door though. When I took the door apart, you could clearly see that the door had been leaking inside and that was the reason for the wood rotting.

By the way...mine wasn't an Exiss and it was a Creation door.

mag08
Reg. Mar 2009
Posted 2009-03-26 9:33 AM (#102139 - in reply to #101088)

Thanks Tresvolte...But I still would prefer not to use wood. I can't take a chance of putting my horse or a human's life in jeapardy. A door is a little different because it is held together more securly but in the summer the windows are dropped and there is greater a chance they could come off if the wood were to rot again. Wood is not a wise componet and that is why the design was changed.
retento
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2009-03-26 10:09 AM (#102142 - in reply to #102139)

Expert

Originally written by mag08 on 2009-03-26 10:33 AM

Thanks Tresvolte...But I still would prefer not to use wood. I can't take a chance of putting my horse or a human's life in jeapardy. A door is a little different because it is held together more securly but in the summer the windows are dropped and there is greater a chance they could come off if the wood were to rot again. Wood is not a wise componet and that is why the design was changed.

Don't know if I've ever seen a drop down feed window with a wood core... Never heard of anyone relacing the wood in one.... Stop fussing at us and Exiss and get to work either fixing yours or ordering replacements from Exiss. Call and order from the folks I listed below. Remember you're the O.P., you came here asking..!! Below is the best I can do.. Also, if that one is bad, then how many more are rotten and about to fall off?? You best grab them and give them all a twist.

I'll post this link again.... http://www.statewidealum.com/livestock-trailers-statewide-alum.htm

http://www.hehr-international.com/0280feederwindow.htm

http://www.horsetraileraccessorystore.com/window_feed_doors.htm

Sharon
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2009-03-26 10:49 AM (#102144 - in reply to #102142)

Veteran

Originally written by retento on 2009-03-26 10:09 AMhttp://www.horsetraileraccessorystore.com/window_feed_doors.htm

Thanks for posting that site, they've got some cool stuff!  Not cheap though...

mag08
Reg. Mar 2009
Posted 2009-03-26 11:04 AM (#102147 - in reply to #101088)

I have personally purchased from the Horse Trailer Accessory store and they are great to work with, very knowledgeable, and I would definitly recommend them to anyone.
AQHA 123
Reg. Oct 2008
Posted 2009-03-26 11:15 AM (#102148 - in reply to #101088)

Veteran

Mag, did you buy this trailer new??
mag08
Reg. Mar 2009
Posted 2009-03-26 12:20 PM (#102151 - in reply to #101088)

It is my understanding that the way to fix this window (using wood – yuck!) would be to take two pieces of ¾” OSB glue them together and cut it out as if you would a picture frame using the dimensions of the window. Seal the wood with a water seal or exterior paint then seal the edges with silicone so it will be water tight.

Anyone tried this method?
horsey1
Reg. Dec 2004
Posted 2009-03-26 12:33 PM (#102152 - in reply to #101088)

Elite Veteran

Mag- It looks like at least two folks have asked about your purchase of the trailer- an answer is???

Also- instead of wood, many now use styrofoam. Just an idea.
justcruzin
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2009-03-26 12:57 PM (#102154 - in reply to #101088)

IMO Exiss is an in-expensive trailer that is cheaply made, with many disign flaws. Whats with the springs on the dividers? Several friends have Exiss and each and every one of them that haul ( not talking 2-3 times a month) have had nothing but trouble with them. From windows, window bars, springs on the divider, rear bumper falling off, roof leaking and on and on.

Should have bought a 4 Star. My trailer is 11 years old and I have NEVER had one minute's worth of trouble with it. Gets hauled almost every day, with no less than 12-15 trip's across the US. You get what you pay for. Go ahead and flame, I'll still have the same opinion.

mag08
Reg. Mar 2009
Posted 2009-03-26 1:08 PM (#102156 - in reply to #102152)

Styrofoam sounds good but can you screw into it and it hold?

yes, I bought the trailer new why?

mag08
Reg. Mar 2009
Posted 2009-03-26 1:19 PM (#102157 - in reply to #102154)

Justcruize - well now that I have bought the trailer I have had several people point out the flaws in Exiss construction so my next one will not be an Exiss.  I looked at several brands but apparently there are a lot more technical things I overlooked.  I agree you do get what you pay for but I will chalk this up as a lesson learned. 

BTW - My trailer hits the road every weekend...

farmbabe
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2009-03-26 2:54 PM (#102158 - in reply to #101088)

Expert

I have owned my 2000 Exiss for nearly four years. It a great rig and have no problems at all with it. I hit the road every weekend in the summer. While I clean it and do some stuff,I really don't take care of it yet it is ready to roll everytime.I am so tired of know it all Exiss bashers.
mag08
Reg. Mar 2009
Posted 2009-03-26 3:33 PM (#102161 - in reply to #101088)

Farmbabe - I wish I could same the same as you I really do.  I don't know what to think anymore and I never meant for this thread to be negative towards Exiss.  We all have had our good/bad experiences but the way a company handles their customers is what determines if they keep thier customers. 

justcruzin
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2009-03-26 3:33 PM (#102162 - in reply to #102158)

Originally written by farmbabe on 2009-03-26 12:54 PM

I have owned my 2000 Exiss for nearly four years. It a great rig and have no problems at all with it. I hit the road every weekend in the summer. While I clean it and do some stuff,I really don't take care of it yet it is ready to roll everytime.I am so tired of know it all Exiss bashers.

Thats funny......  If the trailer was so reliable, I wouldnt have to "bash" it.  All I can go on is what my friends say, who own them, and wish they didnt! There have been plenty of threads about the poor quality of Exiss trailers, if fact, more complaining out Exiss than any other trailer. That, speaks volumes!

gabz
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2009-03-26 4:15 PM (#102165 - in reply to #101088)

Expert

Regarding the concept that a manufacturer uses a component and in subsequent years, changes to an improved version.

There is no liability associated with that manufacturing paradigm.  When I worked with Product Liability for a seat belt/air bag manufacturer, that "theme" was used in lawsuits when occupants were injured by the safety devices or injured when they failed to use the restraint systems, because the safety devices didn't allow for the occupant to be negligent in using the device.  The attorneys would argue that newer safety restraints provided those innovative features. Well..  sorry bud. that's the evolution of life too.

However, if a manufacturer finds that assemblies are in fact dangerous and fails to retrieve those assemblies, then there may be liability. But there are statues of limitation.

gabz
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2009-03-26 4:18 PM (#102166 - in reply to #101088)

Expert

So far as repairing the unit. If it were me, I would seek a source of replacment windows and take the trailer to a repair shop. The repair shop may be able construct new windows using a wood core, but reinforcing the area with "sleeves" in order to bolt it together rather than screw it together.

Linda Y
Reg. May 2007
Posted 2009-03-26 6:25 PM (#102172 - in reply to #101088)

Extreme Veteran

Mag, I don't recall if you said that you did contact Exiss/Sooner. What did they tell you about replacing the window? They were nothing but helpful to me. Gave me new windows and paid to have them installed.
mag08
Reg. Mar 2009
Posted 2009-03-26 6:57 PM (#102173 - in reply to #101088)

I did talk to one person there who was not helpful but I did get a message to call the VP back tomorrow so I will see what he has to say :)
AQHA 123
Reg. Oct 2008
Posted 2009-03-26 7:36 PM (#102176 - in reply to #101088)

Veteran

If the company does not stand behind it, take it to a professional shop and have it fixed right. Then put the trailer up for sale and get a quality trailer that is not built like a beer can with wheels. I'm not sure if you bought the trailer new or not, either way, its seven years old-- for an Exiss thats pretty old. BTW, we're not bashing Exiss, its just a fact, they are not a well built trailer, one can expect these problems with this level of trailer and not get upset when others point out the lack of quality. You can't make a silk purse out of a pigs ear.
farmbabe
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2009-03-26 9:09 PM (#102187 - in reply to #101088)

Expert

See thats where I disagree. Exiss ARE well built trailers. They aren't all perfect and since they are a piece of equipment you can rest assured that like all trailers,stuff can break or wear out. Duh.But when I say my trailer has been great I don't think its a isolated case.For eveyone one of you malcontents,I can name many more that are satisfied with their Exiss trailers. To make a blanket statement make me question the credibility of the poster.I had some problems with my Ford truck which were resolved by fixing it. Does this mean ALL Fords are poorly made ,of course not. ( ok you chevy and dodge people down! down!)But too many people have an issue and bamm like that they tar whole lot of them. Its silly and boring...
AQHA 123
Reg. Oct 2008
Posted 2009-03-26 9:19 PM (#102188 - in reply to #102187)

Veteran

Originally written by farmbabe on 2009-03-26 9:09 PM

See thats where I disagree. Exiss ARE well built trailers. To make a blanket statement make me question the credibility of the poster.
We're not comparing Chevy to Ford. We're talking about an entry level trailer and a top of the line trailer... There's nothing wrong with having the entry level trailer if it suits your needs, but to imply its built just as good as the top of the line trailers is not credible.
loveduffy
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2009-03-26 10:38 PM (#102198 - in reply to #101088)

Expert

mag80 --I would think that you could put in a channel around the window like the wood was and put the window to that I have never done this but I think it should work
mag08
Reg. Mar 2009
Posted 2009-03-26 10:57 PM (#102201 - in reply to #102198)

loveduffy - someone has suggested I frame it and fill it with foam which sounds similar to what you are suggesting.  That sounds better than using wood.  thanks for the input
perk2754
Reg. Oct 2007
Posted 2009-03-27 5:53 AM (#102207 - in reply to #101088)

Veteran

Mag, in looking over the thread it appears that someone from Select Trailers in TN offered to take a look at it for you.  Have you thought of taking them up on the offer?  I am not related to anyone at Select nor did I buy my trailer from them but when I stopped by to chat with them they were very nice and seemed knowledgable.  Just a thought.

Also, I know a lot of folks who haul Exiss trailers and are very happy with them.  Comparing Exiss to 4 Star is like comparing apples to Godiva chocolates and the prices reflect this.  As someone pointed out earlier, there is nothing wrong with a mid line trailer if it suits your needs.

loveduffy
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2009-03-27 8:39 AM (#102214 - in reply to #101088)

Expert

I was talking to a window friend and she said to also use a glue corking around the outside to help seal the window and the glue will help it hold on .just trying to help out a fella trailer person let me know how it works out
flyinghfarm
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2009-03-27 10:13 AM (#102216 - in reply to #101088)

Expert

It would be good to know the make of the window, others could check theirs for this issue....

gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2009-03-27 11:46 AM (#102224 - in reply to #102080)

Expert

Originally written by mag08 on 2009-03-25 3:42 PM

The manufacture of these windows is called Creations but conveniently they went out of business. 

mag08
Reg. Mar 2009
Posted 2009-03-27 1:51 PM (#102235 - in reply to #101088)

Yes, I have spoken with Select Trailers and they have been very helpful.  I have yet to make a decision on what I am going to do but another trailer company suggested I get the drop down doors that have the larger glass window so wood would not even be a factor.  I looked at Exiss 2009 trailers and they are still using the smaller glass window within the door. And someone posted s few links to some mfgs that sell these types of doors.  The whole window/door ratio has confused me but now I see the picture.
mag08
Reg. Mar 2009
Posted 2009-03-27 6:01 PM (#102260 - in reply to #101088)

Update...

Exiss is going to replace the two drop down windows/feed doors so those of you who had any doubts about them can rest assurd they do stand behind their trailer and they do appreciate their loyal customers.

I want to thank Exiss and let them know I appreciate that they are going to make my trailer safe to ride down the road again.

The only thing I would recommend to anyone especially if you are a female like me is to educate yourself and be sure you know what you are buying.  I hope that my experience will educate those looking to buy to ask a lot of questions and not the obvious ones.

If anyone knows the years these style drop downs were being installed it would be helpful for those to know to ask the question.

Edited by mag08 2009-03-27 6:04 PM
Quish
Reg. Feb 2009
Posted 2009-03-27 7:44 PM (#102263 - in reply to #101088)

Congratulations mag, i guess this proves if you talk bad enough and long enough about a company, and tell enough people, they will buy you off just to get you quiet. You can be real proud of yourself.
mag08
Reg. Mar 2009
Posted 2009-03-27 7:56 PM (#102264 - in reply to #101088)

I did not talk bad about them I was searching for answer to a bad situation and merely stating the facts.  Everyone has voiced their opinions about them here on this post making them sound like a terrible company but no one has let them speak and now they have and I am trying to give them credit for doing the right thing.

My voice heard here was based on the speculations from the post of the people whomever you all may be.  I wish I had never posted here because this post has given them the negative light not me.

Let it go I am tired of it and it is negative comments like yours that makes me want to throw the trailer out the door.

Please let me enjoy the trailer I purchased  

Edited by mag08 2009-03-27 8:05 PM
coltaffyjo
Reg. Apr 2007
Posted 2009-03-27 9:04 PM (#102271 - in reply to #101088)

Regular

WOW
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2009-03-27 10:22 PM (#102277 - in reply to #101088)

Expert

All of this doom and gloom could have been prevented, if the OP had spoken to Exiss management, before she made the disparaging comments and invited this nonsense.

Exiss is standing behind a seven year old trailer, replacing a part it didn't construct. Not too bad a company after all.

Gard

Edited by gard 2009-03-27 10:36 PM
flyinghfarm
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2009-03-28 9:08 AM (#102285 - in reply to #101088)

Expert

Certainly not everyone spoke ill of the trailer manufacturer........

Wow.

genebob
Reg. Nov 2007
Posted 2009-03-28 10:02 AM (#102289 - in reply to #102074)

Elite Veteran

Originally written by mag08 on 2009-03-25 3:09 PM

These defective doors and windows are not a result of damage caused by misuse, improper handling or maintenance or lack of but as a result of poor workmanship. Therefore, this has nothing to do with whether or not it is covered under warranty. This is a quality issue that could define who they are as a company and whether or not they are willing to stand behind their product and workmanship. hope that they could say the same. I bought an aluminum trailer because I wanted a trailer that would last a lifetime but windows/doors falling off because they chose poor quality materials is cheap and senseless and if they can't stand behind the fact that they recognized it was poor qualtiy workmanship and are not willing to fix their mistake than I can't either.
Before you claim complete innocence, you need to go back and read your own posts. I'm not trying to bash you, but I personally would like to keep all bashing out of this forum.

"A company is only as good or safe as their dumbest employee."

mag08
Reg. Mar 2009
Posted 2009-03-28 10:43 AM (#102292 - in reply to #101088)

Genebob - When this whole post started I didn't have all the facts together as to what has gone on in the trailer industry.  I show on a regular basis and have been content with my trailer.  Sure I could have purchased another brand of trailer but there were features of the Exiss that I liked over the other brands which is why I chose it.  At some point in the last 5 or so years Exiss determined these doors were poorly designed so they made the necessary changes and improved their trailer.

I think all the trailer companies can say they have tried things that didn't work but that is why we have better trailers today and it is because of trial and error.

My comments were speculation not knowing the facts and I reacted to how people were responding to me which I will take the responsibility for and apologize.      

The horse industry should work together not against each other. 

Quish
Reg. Feb 2009
Posted 2009-03-28 10:59 AM (#102295 - in reply to #101088)

mag, So now that you got what you wanted, they are suddenly a good company, and you are trying to save their reputation from everyone on here? Give us a break...
mag08
Reg. Mar 2009
Posted 2009-03-28 12:21 PM (#102300 - in reply to #101088)

I NEVER said "do not buy an Exiss trailer"..  I looped people in on what happened to me as it was happening not knowing the facts or how Exiss felt all based on stipulation and what if's.

This horse is dead, I am lighting a match to it...and throwing the ashes out to sea.  Sinenora all!

Edited by mag08 2009-03-28 12:35 PM
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2009-03-28 12:51 PM (#102304 - in reply to #101088)

Expert

AMEN
HWBar
Reg. Nov 2005
Posted 2009-03-28 12:56 PM (#102305 - in reply to #101088)

Expert

If you don't mind tell us who stepped up to fix your trailer? Was it Exiss or an Exiss dealer? Give credit to whom deserves it.

mag08
Reg. Mar 2009
Posted 2009-03-29 8:45 AM (#102343 - in reply to #101088)

It was Exiss not a dealer 
farmbabe
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2009-03-29 9:11 AM (#102346 - in reply to #101088)

Expert

This happens all the time here- someone ( usually a woman) has a something bad happen and they immediately think the company making the trailer knew it was bad,didn't care it was bad,points fingers of neglect and blame...on and on.The hit the panic button without contacting the company in a mannerly,reasonable way to try and fix the problem.Most dealers are more than willing to satisfy a customer as long as the customer isn't out for blood.Posting negative attack messages will not help your cause. Most of us on here have seen this play out time and time again.
Linda Y
Reg. May 2007
Posted 2009-03-29 10:57 AM (#102352 - in reply to #101088)

Extreme Veteran

I would be willing to bet that Exiss did this because they DO stand behind their product! When my window fell off, I didn't tell anyone, didn't badmouth Exiss or anything else. I just came in and looked up the contact info, called them and they got wheels in motion to replace both windows. Between the management at Exiss and Dixie Horse and Mule Co., I had new windows on a trailer that was also 7 years old.
Say what you will about Exiss...I love mine.
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2009-03-29 4:47 PM (#102372 - in reply to #102352)

Expert

Originally written by Linda Y on 2009-03-29 10:57 AM

Say what you will about Exiss...I love mine.

DITTO

Gard

flyinghfarm
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2009-03-30 8:28 AM (#102415 - in reply to #101088)

Expert

Well said.

Kesta
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2009-04-04 4:23 PM (#102745 - in reply to #101088)

Veteran

I just quickly skimmed the posts in this thread.  I have an Exiss that I bought used several years ago.  It has done just fine.  My only problem is that I've developed a roof leak.  No biggie.  Just remove the old caulk and put in new.  I don't think that's a major deal for a '02 trailer that sits outside the whole time.  However, I do have one drop-down window that has rust streaks on the paint on the lower portion.  I'm assuming there's steel in the window somewhere because all-aluminum wouldn't have this.

Is this something that I should be concerned about?  The window seems to be solid and latches well.  I don't think this has a connection to the rotten wood issue, but who know? 

headhunter
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2009-04-06 2:47 PM (#102842 - in reply to #102745)

Elite Veteran

The rust might be from the screen.  I left a window open in my tack room in the rain, and had rust streaks inside on the door afterwards.  The screen shows signs of rust so that's where I'm guessing it came from. 

Originally written by Kesta on 2009-04-04 2:23 PM

I do have one drop-down window that has rust streaks on the paint on the lower portion.  I'm assuming there's steel in the window somewhere because all-aluminum wouldn't have this.

Is this something that I should be concerned about?  The window seems to be solid and latches well.  I don't think this has a connection to the rotten wood issue, but who know? 

Tresvolte
Reg. Feb 2008
Posted 2009-04-06 3:10 PM (#102845 - in reply to #101088)

Could be from the hinge pin or screws in the hinges too...

supercooper
Reg. May 2008
Posted 2009-04-07 3:51 PM (#102912 - in reply to #101088)

New User

Sorry i am going to jump in late on the wood door issues. 

Most companies warranties at this time period did state that products included in the trailer and not produced by them were not covered by the warranty.  If this is the case and the window company went out of business one would think this is on the owner and not the manufacturer on this age of trailer.  Please someone feel free to correct me if i am wrong.

gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2009-04-07 7:22 PM (#102926 - in reply to #102912)

Expert

Originally written by supercooper on 2009-04-07 3:51 PM 

Most companies warranties at this time period did state that products included in the trailer and not produced by them were not covered by the warranty.  If this is the case and the window company went out of business one would think this is on the owner and not the manufacturer on this age of trailer.  Please someone feel free to correct me if i am wrong.

Unless the company furnishes a complete list of products that it has subcontracted to have built for its trailers, and makes a disclaimer as to its lack of warranty, the manufacturer assumes the suitability of the products it uses.

A particular instance is illustrated when you purchase a new truck. The truck has specific warranties offered by its manufacturer. However the tires are usually irrespectively warranted by their own tire manufacturers.

In this window example, Exiss has acted responsibly, while warranting seven year old windows it did not build.

Gard

gabz
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2009-04-08 5:01 PM (#102972 - in reply to #102845)

Expert

Originally written by Tresvolte on 2009-04-06 4:10 PM

Could be from the hinge pin or screws in the hinges too...

I would hope that a manufacturer was not mixing alum components with steel fasteners.  That's a NO-NO because of the cross reaction between the metals.

But I'm sure there are components that are steel that probably shouldn't be. Only way you get rust isn't it?