steel vs alum.
newracer
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2009-01-05 6:31 PM (#96987)
Subject: steel vs alum.

I have been contiplating trading my trailer for an aluminum hopefully soon.  I currently have a 96 titan renegade steel of course but after talking to a few people about getting an aluminum trailer they say that they can buy a lot of fuel for the cost difference between an aluminum vs a steel.  I really want aluminum just becase it is lighter and no rust but others convince me that if you keep an aluminum trailer for a long period of time the welds shake loose easier and they fall apart. 

I hate steel due to rust and weight.  So what are your opinions on steel versus aluminum.  Is the cost difference worth it? 

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
DD_TrailerMan
Reg. Jul 2008
Posted 2009-01-05 7:39 PM (#96990 - in reply to #96987)
Subject: RE: steel vs alum.

Veteran

I am curious to see how the HTW community responds to this post.  A quick summary of my opinion

1.  a quality aluminum trailer will NOT weigh significantly less as alum is much weaker than steel, meaning you need more alum to get similar strength.  If you want to know what the top quality alum trailers are, weigh them.  Top quality alum trailers weigh similar to steel trailers. 

2.  the galvanealed product is a major advancement on steel trailers.  the steel framed/galvanealed sheet metal is a much stronger trailer vs. steel framed/alum skin.  Given the non-corrosive properties of galvaneal, one may wonder why anyone would buy steel framed/alum skin over galvanealed skin.  Oh, and by the way, your US automakers use galvaneal sheet metal rather than aluminum.

3.  As far as welds (and all you welders help me out if I say something incorrect), welds on steel are as strong as the steel, welds on alum are weaker.  On a lower quality alum trailer, the welds are a long term concern. 

4.  Cost:  There once was a huge difference in cost between steel and alum, that gap has definitely narrowed.  Although, top quality alum trailers are quite a bit more than steel.

What material is best? (considering strength and non-rust)
1.  all alum with beefy walls and thick outer sheet metal 
2.  steel frame wrapped in galvaneal

then there is a gap

3.  low quality alum trailers
4.  steel frame alum skin

another big gap

5.  low quality all steel trailers

I wonder where would beefy aluminum frame with galvaneal skin fit? 

Let the debate begin!

Bartley Heath
bartley@DoubleDTrailers.com
DoubleDTrailers.com

gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2009-01-05 8:18 PM (#96997 - in reply to #96987)

Expert

Originally written by newracer on 2009-01-05 7:31 PM

after talking to a few people about getting an aluminum trailer they say that they can buy a lot of fuel for the cost difference between an aluminum vs a steel.  I really want aluminum just because it is lighter and no rust but others convince me that if you keep an aluminum trailer for a long period of time the welds shake loose easier and they fall apart.   

In the rust belt areas, an aluminum trailer lasts longer with less maintenance.

Buying one to save fuel costs would only offer a very slow return on your money, and probably would not be a viable reason for its purchase.

There are tens of thousands of aluminum trailers in constant usage of varying ages, that haven't shaken apart, and will not do so in the future.

The manufacturers of steel trailers have many reasons why steel is better. If aluminum is so poor in every comparison, weight, strength etc, why does the aerospace industry have such a successful safety record? Until the recent application of composites, all commercial aircraft world wide exclusively used aluminum.

It's obvious that those who protest too much against aluminum, know little about it and are unwilling to accept the fact that it is a proven, durable product. It costs more, it's more difficult to work, and for those manufacturers that only want the cheapest product they can produce, to maximize profits, it is the wrong material.

There are many well built trailers of both steel and aluminum. There are a few poorly built trailers of both materials. To condemn one material because you only use the other is irresponsible. The manufacturers who produce the shoddy products are to blame, not the materials.

Gard

DD_TrailerMan
Reg. Jul 2008
Posted 2009-01-05 8:40 PM (#97004 - in reply to #96997)

Veteran

like stock market analysts on CNBC, I must disclose any conflicts of interest.  My company manufacturers and sells all aluminum, steel frame/galvanealed skin, and steel frame/aluminum skin.

Bartley Heath
DoubleDTrailers.com

Edited by DD_TrailerMan 2009-01-05 8:40 PM
Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2009-01-05 9:00 PM (#97006 - in reply to #96987)

Expert

I agree the weight difference is so small as to not be a factor.  I've been told the difference between two similar sized trailers one steel and one aluminum is about 800 lbs.  You make a bigger difference when you choose to haul 2 horses vs 3 .  So fuel mileage is really no different between the two. In fact my old trailer weighed 16,000lbs loaded and I averaged 11.2mpg,  My new trailer empty is 6000lbs and I averaged 11.5 mpg when I hauled it home. 10,000lbs difference and I gained .3 mpg in fuel economy. The difference between steel and aluminum will not be noticed.

I've had two all steel trailers, back in the late 80's and early 90's.  They were baisc no frills bumper pull trailers.  And yes they rusted.

I've owned two all aluminum trailers.  No rusty hinges, no rust any where.  But I did have a coupe of welds break that I had to have re-welded.  No big deal to get them fixed. I do drive alot of really rough forest service and BLM roads to get to the trail heads I use.

My current trailer and the one just prior were both gaveneal with aluminum skins.   The trailer I have now, I bought used, so it saw a couple years of use before I got it and still no rust or problems. I live very close to the Great Salt Lake. Utah puts salt on the roads, because it's cheap and works well in our temperatures. Iride year round. so my trailers are exposed to it.

I think buying an premium all aluminum trailer is kinda like buying a Lexus or Mercedes. There is a certain amount of prestige when you pull into the fairground. A certain amount of boasting, that hey I can afford this.

newracer
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2009-01-05 10:17 PM (#97013 - in reply to #96987)

Thanks everyone for all the information! 

I could care less what people think of me though..I just want something that is nice that will hold together so I don't have to keep trading.  I hate rust issues with steel and my current trailer leaks :-(

I know there are going to be lots of different opinions, but that is okay.

deranger
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2009-01-06 5:14 AM (#97023 - in reply to #97013)

Elite Veteran

This issue/question has been around the block quite a few times on this site.  I would suggest you look in archieves, find some old threads and read them. 

I disagree with the comparison of the aerospace industry and using aluminum.  When it costs approximately $2,500.00/hr. to keep a Boeing 707 in the air 25 years ago is a staggering figure, BUT, it's made out of aluminum.  The fact that a little, very small, almost unkown problem with electrolosis exists in the aerospace industry leads me to believe that some of our well known posters on this thread are misinformed, or possibly have their head in the sand.  The steel landing gear alone on most aircraft makes up a huge percentage of the total weight and that's because they can't make them out of aluminum because it's not strong enough!  I agree there is fair amount of aluminum in an airplane, but there is also a huge amount of steel and stainless steel.  Bet you won't fine a stainless steel horse trailer any time soon?!?!?!  Talk to anyone that hauls regularly with an aluminum stock trailer in the livestock industry and they will tell you it's a good product, but has it's disadvantages; fatigue cracks and corrosion damage from urine.  While you're at it, ask them what the frame is made out of?  Probably steel, due to the fact that the amount of aluminum they would have to use to make an all aluminum trailer stock trailer is cost prohibitive.  Yes, I know there are some all aluminum 18 wheeler trailers out there, but you need an oil well in your backyard to afford to buy one and when a structural crack appears and it will, no local welding shop wants to weld on it for fear of product liability.  Sure they'll patch the skin, or repair a hinge, but they won't touch the frame! 

Too much research has gone into trailer manufacturing to ignore what the big boys are doing.  Most 18 wheeler van box trailers are steel framed for a reason.  If you pick a horse trailer manufacturer that is copying the construction of an 18 wheeler van box trailer, you will get a good trailer that will last a long time.  I know, I did, happy, no regrets. 

Due to the economy one of the families at our church was forced to downsize the number of horses they had.  I was asked to move a horse for them and agreed before I found out it was an off the track thoroughbred.  Maybe it was my lucky day, but he went right on the trailer with no problems, but when the slant wall was latched he started kicking.  I looked at the owner and said, "he damages my trailer, you get the repair bill."  I quickly closed up the trailer and got on the road, figuring if I was moving he would have less time to stand on 3 legs and kick.  45 minutes later we were unloading him and the trailer was fine.  If it had been a steel wall trailer, or an aluminum wall trailer there would have been damage.  Since my trailer is like a smaller version of an 18 wheeler, the trailer was fine.

deranger

heritagelanefarm
Reg. Jul 2006
Posted 2009-01-06 6:25 AM (#97026 - in reply to #96987)

Veteran

Those posting present excellent points. I have pulled with all steel trailers since 1970. Rust not an issue as they were always shed kept, and waxed yearly, with undercarriage cleaned. No leaks....ever, but I feel I have a manufacturer who is top of the line (same brand trailers since 1970). One issue discussed on this board a number of years ago in this debate was that in a wreck, aluminum fragments, and steel bends. I never forgot that, especially since I had a horse in a friend's steel trailer involved in a roll over years ago. Both horses walked away, minimal trailer damage.

Food for thought!

Brenda

Tresvolte
Reg. Feb 2008
Posted 2009-01-06 7:17 AM (#97030 - in reply to #96987)

I have both steel and aluminum trailers. I have a steel that is 15 years old, and an aluminum that is 10 years old. Both stock trailers. I have spent less in maintenance on the aluminum. Both have had welds repaired, the steel trailer has had a floor, several crossmembers, and the rear threshold replaced at the same time. I bought the aluminum during the down time of having that done. The steel trailer is rusty, the aluminum isn't. Also, both have had about the same maintenance costs per year, if you take out of consideration the floor, crossmembers and threshold on the steel trailer.

The biggest difference in the two trailers will come over the long haul. You are going to pay more for the aluminum, but it will be worth more when you sell or trade it. I have had more costs in maintenance on the steel trailer than it is worth today. The aluminum trailer is still worth more than what I paid for the steel trailer new.

As far as weight, the steel trailer is right at 1000 pounds heavier. That's a cow, or a horse. Both are 24' stock trailers. A smaller trailer isn't going to see the same weight difference.

flyinghfarm
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2009-01-06 7:25 AM (#97031 - in reply to #96987)

Expert

Rating the 3 types of trailers we have:

97  Steel       Rusting, depreciated a good deal

95 Galvaneal  Needs a wax job, but holding looks and value

01  Aluminum   Looks just like new, holding value the best.

gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2009-01-06 8:54 AM (#97035 - in reply to #96987)

Expert

I've owned several steel trailers, and because I don't have the facilities to keep them indoors, they are subject to the affects of weather. Our last one was purchased new, and after 12 years, it had to be restored to save it. A week and a half of my labour, trips to a media blaster, a body shop and an afternoon spent at a welder, added to $3000, produced a trailer that looked very nice. In spite of using the best products and construction methods available, surface rust reappeared the following winter.

My oldest Aluminum trailer is now nine years old, the newest eight. They are both stored outside and subject to the same conditions my steel trailers were. My maintenance this year will be to wash them. air the tires, lube the hinges and jack and perform a general inspection. I also plan on applying a tube of marine grade caulking to the roof attachments. Total time? maybe an hour and a half. Total cost? $15

"The fact that a little, very small, almost unknown problem with electrolysis exists in the aerospace industry leads me to believe that some of our well known posters on this thread are misinformed, or possibly have their head in the sand.  The steel landing gear alone on most aircraft makes up a huge percentage of the total weight and that's because they can't make them out of aluminum because it's not strong enough!  I agree there is fair amount of aluminum in an airplane, but there is also a huge amount of steel and stainless steel."

Electrolysis is more than a little problem, and is constantly being addressed by every mode of transportation, railroads, trucking and automotive. Other than the struts and motors, very little of any airplane is made of steel. Most non aluminum components are magnesium, titanium, composites or plastics.

It is a fact that the aerospace industry is the leader in developing new light weight products, that rely on weight and strength for reliability. As their products become more generally available and the prices more reasonable, the technology then bleeds over into other manufacturing, boating, transportation, recreational and home products etc.

Steel and aluminum trailers each have their proponents, and there are valid reasons for having each. Having owned both, I now choose one over the other. It doesn't mean that I'm going to pick a fight with someone who doesn't agree with my choice. There is no need for factions to exist, or name calling when discussing facts: "some of our well known posters on this thread are misinformed, or possibly have their head in the sand."  

Gard

headhunter
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2009-01-06 11:21 AM (#97045 - in reply to #96987)

Elite Veteran

Fuel savings won't be a reason to go from steel to alumnimum.  I get exactly the same mileage pulling my LQ trailer as I did with my non-LQ trailer, at nearly 2x the weight.   In talking with horse buddies who drive pretty much the same truck I do (diesel F350), those pulling 4h w/ LQ trailers are reporting the same mileage as those pulling 2h w/ weekender packages.  All different makes of trailers, yet we all get within 1 mpg of each other pulling trailers.  I'm convinced its the wind resistance, not the weight, that is determining mileage. 

gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2009-01-06 11:42 AM (#97047 - in reply to #96987)

Expert

I agree with Headhunter. Same mileage pulling two different weight GN's, empty or full, and a 3 horse BP.
gabz
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2009-01-06 3:21 PM (#97063 - in reply to #96987)

Expert

WHere is the Titan leaking? You didn't say what size or type of trailer (BP or GN). 

The Renegade is a grade or two above my GN Avalanche. It took 2 tries to get the roof seams "fixed".  The RV place did a great job because they removed all the old caulk before using new stuff. The torguing of the body over rough roads, raising and lowering on the ball (if it's not EXACTLY lined up) all contribute to shifting panels, which leads to leaks.

Also.. are you sure you're not experiencing condensation drips?

I have more than 3 friends with Titans. 1 has a Renegade, 1 has a Classic and the other has a BP avalanche. They get a few dings on them, but they are holding up very well and all of us keep them outside in wicked weather.

So far as steel versus alum. Pros and cons for all. In 2H trailers there isn't a huge difference in weight. 3H with LQ and larger trailers will show a diff in weight. I would ALWAYS want a steel interior that can withstand a horse kicking and falling. Alum is just too brittle and doesn't hold up well to any abuse.

gabz
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2009-01-06 3:24 PM (#97064 - in reply to #97045)

Expert

Originally written by headhunter on 2009-01-06 12:21 PM

Fuel savings won't be a reason to go from steel to alumnimum.  I get exactly the same mileage pulling my LQ trailer as I did with my non-LQ trailer, at nearly 2x the weight.   In talking with horse buddies who drive pretty much the same truck I do (diesel F350), those pulling 4h w/ LQ trailers are reporting the same mileage as those pulling 2h w/ weekender packages.  All different makes of trailers, yet we all get within 1 mpg of each other pulling trailers.  I'm convinced its the wind resistance, not the weight, that is determining mileage. 

I agree somewhat with the wind resistance. In fact, Ford towing charts for 5th Wheel RVs go into that whole realm by asking what the frontal square footage is on the towed vehicle.

Makes another good reason to get a "V" nosed GN - to add to the aerodynamics, eh?

gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2009-01-06 5:02 PM (#97074 - in reply to #97063)

Expert

Originally written by gabz on 2009-01-06 4:21 PM

I would ALWAYS want a steel interior that can withstand a horse kicking and falling. Alum is just too brittle and doesn't hold up well to any abuse.

In our area of PA, many trucking companies pay a premium, and go out of their way, to own tri axle dump bodies made of aluminum. You should see the abuse they take, when tons of stones and boulders are dumped at height, from a front loader or tipple. Abuse would be an understatement. I won't mention the stresses an aircraft sustains, that seems to be a contentious subject. Aluminum is a material of choice in the marine industry, where the intended usage for a craft exceeds the capabilities of FRP (fiberglass) construction. Jet boats that run river rapids and are constantly colliding with rocks, are specifically constructed of aluminum because of its durability. No other material is better for their intended usage. Until the advent of composites, most formula race cars were monococque designs built of aluminum.

I had to line the interior stall area of my steel trailer with plywood, to prevent the reoccurring damage from the horses hooves. Haven't needed to do so with either of my Al trailers.

Alum is just too brittle and doesn't hold up well to any abuse. This author should talk to professional trucking companies, as well as the marine and aircraft industries about this statement, and get the real facts.

Gard

Edited by gard 2009-01-06 5:20 PM
Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2009-01-06 6:56 PM (#97077 - in reply to #96987)

Expert

Lots of dumps trucks have aluminum dump beds to reduce the weight. But I don't know ANY of them that will haul boulders in the aluminum beds. Only sand, gravel or top soil.  I've asked several to haul landscape boulders (2' or 3' diameter) and they all refuse citing that they have auminum beds and it damage their truck to haul that kinds of material.  So aluminum IS NOT the prefered material for that kind of truck bed.

gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2009-01-06 7:34 PM (#97080 - in reply to #96987)

Expert

You weren't here when they delivered the rocks for our wall. They were all in excess of 500#, too large to use in the local yard's crusher. Aluminum bed, loaded with a front load at the plant, 24 tons a load. Our local gravel dealer, handles these boulders and anything else that fits into the trucks' bed. He currently owns six Aluminum bed trucks, some several year's old.

Local coal companies haul the rocks and slag, trip after trip using these trucks. We have steel scrap haulers doing the same. These are not babied equipment.

Gard

deranger
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2009-01-07 6:47 AM (#97090 - in reply to #97080)

Elite Veteran

Originally written by gard on 2009-01-06 8:34 PM

You weren't here when they delivered the rocks for our wall. They were all in excess of 500#, too large to use in the local yard's crusher. Aluminum bed, loaded with a front load at the plant, 24 tons a load. Our local gravel dealer, handles these boulders and anything else that fits into the trucks' bed. He currently owns six Aluminum bed trucks, some several year's old.

Local coal companies haul the rocks and slag, trip after trip using these trucks. We have steel scrap haulers doing the same. These are not babied equipment.

Gard

Gard, you are making an extremely strong case for aluminum as if we don't all agree with you and scrap any trailer that is not made of aluminum and go out and buy an aluminum trailer so that we are not labeled "losers" at any stop lght in town.  Lighten up.

You are comparing industries that have NOTHING to do with horse trailers other than the materials available.  Like, why don't they build ocean going vessels out of aluminum? 

As for dump trucks, did you ask if they had triple floors in them?  Double sidewalls?  2" or 3" oak boards bolted to the floor over the aluminum.  Or did they put a layer of stones about a foot thick before they dumped the 500# rocks in?  Guess not, since you didn't mention it.

I worked in the aircraft industry for a significant part of my adult working career.  I chose to move away from that industry because I didn't like the travel and union influence.  I've worked on everything from a Piper Cub to an SR-71.  Your information on this thread is highly skewed towards your........well, I guess it's an agenda?  Making your point of view right now matter what the facts are.  Get your facts in order first, then take a look at how it's going to impact the other members of the thread and is it helping or hurting.  From the points you have attempted to make, most steel trailer builders should close their doors today! 

Aluminum horse trailer materials are measured in thousandths' of an inch.  Like the side walls are probably .065" and the floor might be .250"?  How do those measurements compare to a dump truck sidewall or floor?  It's like comparing a soda can to a tool box!  You can stand on a tool box.........

Ever seen a dump truck roll over with a load on it?  I have.  Most of the time, they put new mirrors on the truck, replace some fiberglass up around the headlights and send it back out for another load.  Ever seen an aluminum horse trailer after it's been rolled over?  It's just my opinion, but THEY DON'T COMPARE!

deranger

Edited by deranger 2009-01-07 7:10 AM
brokenboot
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2009-01-07 7:06 AM (#97091 - in reply to #96987)

Regular

These are some great points. I've thought about all the advantages and disadvantages and really can't decide a "best" material. For me it has come down to the advantages and disadvantages of some of the other features of the trailers I've looked at.
I'm interested, Gard, in how you've decided on some of the trailers you've purchased. You certainly seem to know your stuff and if I'm reading you correctly, you prefer aluminum over steel. Yet you say you've owned several steel trailers. What were some of the things about the steel trailers that made you buy them in spite of the fact they were steel?
I bought a Trails West several years ago and compared other brands, both steel and aluminum, before I purchased. I've always wondered if I bought the wrong trailer, even though I love it, just because it was steel. I know the resale value isn't what it would be if it was an aluminum trailer, but I think I will eventually go with another Trails West just because of some of the great features they offer at what I consider to be an affordable price. I had to have the nose of my trailer repainted after 5 years because the caulking between the wall and the roof let loose, allowed rain in the seam and tiny streams of surface rust appeared. Also a few chips on the hinges needed touch up, so in spite of Trails West having an incredibly high quality paint job, they can still require some regular maintenance and repair.
I'm still not convinced that there's a "best" material that fits all needs.
Tresvolte
Reg. Feb 2008
Posted 2009-01-07 7:26 AM (#97092 - in reply to #96987)

I have seen an aluminum horse trailer after it was rolled over. I have also seen it running down the road since it was repaired. I knew the people that owned it when it was turned over. It turned over at 60 mph, rolled once, and fortunately, everyone came out okay. The trailer was turned right side up and towed in behind a tow truck. Less damage to the trailer than the truck.

The stock trailers that I own...get used minimum of once a week. Both trailers get used hard. I didn't buy them to save for sombody else. I bought them with the intention of using them until they were no longer usable and then get new ones. My preference is the aluminum trailer. It has been down for repairs less than the steel trailer. And it looks better at 10 years old than the steel trailer did.

Are aluminum trailers for eveyone? No. Are there aluminum trailers out there that will hold up as good as a steel trailer? Absolutely. In my opinion, aluminum trailers will outlast a comparable quality steel trailer with less maintenance. In my experience it has been that way so far, and I am not in a rust belt. Do most people keep them that long? No. But when there are 7,8, or 9 year old aluminum trailers out there that sell for more than a new steel trailer...you are getting your money back.

By the way...you guys comparing airplanes, and dump trucks, and semi trailers...it is kind of like comparing the towing specs of a BMW Z3 versus a Freightliner FL60.

deranger
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2009-01-07 7:34 AM (#97093 - in reply to #97092)

Elite Veteran

Tresvolte, I couldn't agree more!  Excellent points, especially the one about the towing specs!

One thing I would like to add; when I go an auction, the proffessional haulers are using aluminum trailers.  The part-timers and home owners are using steel stock trailers.  Go figure.......it's the cost of aluminum compared to steel over miles/years comparison.

Your experience and use of stock trailers reinforces what I see at the loading docks at an auction/sale.

Happy trails,

deranger

Edited by deranger 2009-01-07 7:36 AM
deranger
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2009-01-07 8:11 AM (#97095 - in reply to #97091)

Elite Veteran

Here are a few questions I asked before I bought my horse trailer:

What happens in a crash?

What happens if I'm hit from behind?

Initial investment?

Product liability?

Customer care?

Manufacturer reputation?

Type of use and frequency?

Ramp, no ramp on an LQ type trailer?

Steel, aluminum or galvaneal?

Will I be twoing in the winter with chemicals on the roads?

Am I going to clean the trailer after each use, or just let it sit, loaded with manure and urine?

Am I able to maintaine the trailer myself and how much maintenance will it require as compared to how much I'm using it over the lfe expectancy of the trailer?

One of the main reasons I chose a steel/galvaneal LQ trailer is I don't like the thought of a steel framed trailer with an aluminum box on top.  If I were buying a stock-trailer, it would probably be a steel one since I don't haul livestock for a living.

Happy trails,

deranger

gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2009-01-07 8:35 AM (#97097 - in reply to #97090)

Expert

[/QUOTE  Your information on this thread is highly skewed towards your........well, I guess it's an agenda?  Making your point of view right now matter what the facts are.  Get your facts in order first, then take a look at how it's going to impact the other members of the thread and is it helping or hurting.  From the points you have attempted to make, most steel trailer builders should close their doors today! 

Here's what I've posted about the ownership of various trailers within this thread:

There are many well built trailers of both steel and aluminum. There are a few poorly built trailers of both materials. To condemn one material because you only use the other is irresponsible. The manufacturers who produce the shoddy products are to blame, not the materials.

Steel and aluminum trailers each have their proponents, and there are valid reasons for having each. Having owned both, I now choose one over the other. It doesn't mean that I'm going to pick a fight with someone who doesn't agree with my choice. There is no need for factions to exist, or name calling when discussing facts

In return, there have been many postings of erroneous information and character assassinations. This discussion, like many others, has now varied from it's original course to one of disinformation and personal attacks. Instead of a search for information, certain members are now using this thread for their own agendas. Facts are not now relevant, and no longer matter. This posting has been corrupted.

Gard

retento
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2009-01-07 8:48 AM (#97098 - in reply to #96987)

Expert

Jamie... get what you can afford and what your tow vehicle is capable of pulling. Spend a little extra on something you can be proud of, you don't want to buy a trailer only to get it home and wish you had gotten this added or that added. Get what you want up front...... There's 11084 trailers for sale on HTW, new and used... You can save a good bit of money buying a clean used 6-10 year old aluminum over a new steel. You decide on what you want, start here>>>>> http://www.horsetrailerworld.com/home/searchtrailers.asp

deranger
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2009-01-07 9:16 AM (#97102 - in reply to #97098)

Elite Veteran

Originally written by retento on 2009-01-07 9:48 AM

Jamie... get what you can afford and what your tow vehicle is capable of pulling. Spend a little extra on something you can be proud of, you don't want to buy a trailer only to get it home and wish you had gotten this added or that added. Get what you want up front...... There's 11084 trailers for sale on HTW, new and used... You can save a good bit of money buying a clean used 6-10 year old aluminum over a new steel. You decide on what you want, start here>>>>> http://www.horsetrailerworld.com/home/searchtrailers.asp

retento, excellent advice and excellent choice of words as well.

Udaman!!!!

deranger

Edited by deranger 2009-01-07 9:18 AM
DD_TrailerMan
Reg. Jul 2008
Posted 2009-01-07 9:34 AM (#97103 - in reply to #97102)

Veteran

ha, this is getting heated.  I love it! 

No one has answered my question in the second post...how would an aluminum framed trailer with galvanealed sheet metal compare?

Bartley Heath
DoubleDTrailers.com

retento
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2009-01-07 9:48 AM (#97105 - in reply to #97103)

Expert

Originally written by DD_TrailerMan on 2009-01-07 10:34 AM

No one has answered my question in the second post...how would an aluminum framed trailer with galvanealed sheet metal compare?

Bartley Heath
DoubleDTrailers.com

It doesn't compare, or else everyone would already have three of them on their junk pile!!! LOL!  Don't think I've ever seen anything like that. You go ahead and build a 8' wide 6 horse head to head, 35' on the floor, 5' of that being DR, send it to me and I'll test it out for you, free of charge for 5 years.....!!

deranger
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2009-01-07 9:54 AM (#97107 - in reply to #97103)

Elite Veteran

Originally written by DD_TrailerMan on 2009-01-07 10:34 AM

Bartley Heath
DoubleDTrailers.com

On this thread, if no answered your question, there is a very clear reason why.

deranger

Edited by deranger 2009-01-07 9:56 AM
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2009-01-07 10:05 AM (#97111 - in reply to #97091)

Expert

Originally written by brokenboot on 2009-01-07 8:06 AM

I'm interested, Gard, in how you've decided on some of the trailers you've purchased. You certainly seem to know your stuff and if I'm reading you correctly, you prefer aluminum over steel. Yet you say you've owned several steel trailers. What were some of the things about the steel trailers that made you buy them in spite of the fact they were steel? .

My first trailer was a two horse BP steel, that needed a total restoration. I bought it as a "fixer upper" because of price. Our second was a four horse straight load BP steel, because we needed more room. It needed major repairs and price again was the deciding factor. Our third trailer was a new steel Corn Pro 3 horse BP stock/combo slant load. It was the best built I could find in its price category ~$5000. (aprox 16 yrs ago)

We were tiring of truck campers and had upgraded to a new diesel Ford truck. We wanted a LQ trailer, and all its amenities, and went to Congress where we looked at hundreds. We went to several LQ companies in IN and did much research and comparison shopping of various brands, construction and features. After a time consuming and expensive restoration of our Cornpro, I didn't want a repeat effort in the future. We put a down payment on a new Aluminum Kieffer, with an 8' LQ. We quickly changed our minds, realizing that we probably would soon out grow it in the future. We found a larger all aluminum Sidekick with many more amenities in MI and bought it.

The trailer is ideal for several people during long shows and week long vacations. It is too bulky for quick trips and running around. We kept the Corn Pro which was ideal for this usage. At a local show, we took the CP, and found the public rest rooms to be abysmal. We then searched for some time, to find an Exiss 3 horse GN aluminum trailer of the same length (18' box) with a full weekender LQ. After a few months, we found an aluminum Event in MD, and have been the proud owner since.

The upkeep of these two trailers is very little, no repairs, just preventative maintenance. They look like new and operate perfectly. We buy items for the long haul, so resale factors and yearly upgrades aren't important to us. We plan on maintaining the usage of these two trailers, until we no longer are physically able to enjoy the equine sport.

Best of luck with your search.   Gard

gabz
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2009-01-07 3:32 PM (#97124 - in reply to #96987)

Expert

As I was driving along an interstate this morning, I thought of this thread. I was passing a semi and the panels on the trailer were vertical sheets of ??? steel or alum, I'm not sure, but I watched them buckle and move just from the air passing and the truck going over bumps. It reminded me how thin those sheets of material are in the effort to protect the load during transport but afford a good fuel economy. I'm not sure they would protect the load if the trailer were laid on it's side though.  I know the panels on my horse trailer may flex, but no where near what those trailer van panels were doing.

Just like the alum bodied dump trucks and trailers - it's a matter of THICKNESS. I guess I should have qualified my statement about the alum and brittle and damage. I was referring to it's use in horse trailers for the average horse owner who has a day-job that doesn't involve horses.

As some of you may remember, I'm the one that saw what a 950 pound, quiet-mannered QH mare did to her leg after she kicked through a triple-walled Sundowner trailer. It had plastic/rubber lined alum interior wall, styrofoam insulation and alum exterior. She had fallen down in the trailer and kicked through the wall in her attempts to get back up.

It was a year before she was sound. This was a horse that should have gone to Congress with her teen rider. Instead that young lady had to wash a huge bloody mess out of the trailer while her horse spent time at a State University equine hospital. Pretty ugly.

I'm not doubting the strength of the alum when it's a thick gauge or molded (ribbed versus smooth) or reinforced. But comparing boulders in a huge truck to a horse's hoof - that's another story. It's like comparing the PSI of a 125 pound woman's high heel shoe on asphalt to the PSI of a 5 ton truck on the same pavement.

And, I've seen the floor of those dump trailers. They are beat up and lumpy bumpy. but ya know what? the sand, gravel, and boulders don't care. It doesn't make that big a deal if small cracks appear - the shop takes care of them as part of the required maintenance.

Heck... what are the scoops and pans of heavy equipment made from?

Back to the original question.

There are pros and cons of any material and any purchase. New trailers have nice financing; and you can buy a nice used alum trailer for less cash. Both types of trailers are going to suffer from uneven roads and weld stress.

I stand by my preference for galvaneal steel frame, galvaneal steel interior, galvaneal or aluminum ext., fiberglass roof.

flyinghfarm
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2009-01-07 8:21 PM (#97131 - in reply to #96987)

Expert

and that's why there is chocolate and vanilla!

Also, the type and quality of the materials are helped or hindered by the quality and style of construction, just to further complicate the issue!  Enjoy your search for your trailer, and get what works for YOU and your needs and pocketbook....buy well, use judiciously and maintain it well, and look forward to many years of use and enjoyment.

tom-tom
Reg. Feb 2008
Posted 2009-01-08 7:19 AM (#97140 - in reply to #96987)

Extreme Veteran

First and most important; this is your purchase.  Buy what you can afford and what you like.  No one else will be pulling it or making the payments but you.  Personally we have both steel and aluminum trailers.  Our first trailer, which we still have, is a Stoll 16ft stock steel trailer.  You just about can't kill this one.  We bought it to haul cattle in before we had horses.  We still have it and have had many offers to purchase it once we bought our LQ and our alum BP.  It has a little rust, but in all it has been an excellent trailer and any horse will load in it since it is an open stock.  It's paid for so it stays.  We purchased out first alum LQ about 4 yrs ago and did not upgrade to a larger alum LQ until this year and purchased a new trailer.  We looked for a used one, but were unable to find a bunkhouse 4H with a plan that we liked.  Our new trailer has a slide-out a 14ft SW and will suit our needs for at least 10 yrs when our daughters will be ready to start college.  This is a trailer we can travel in; camp; rodeo or do whatever our kids decide to do with their horses.  The only downfall is it's size.  Therefore this year we purchased trailer #3.  A 2005 alum BP w/tack room.  We could still haul in our stock, but when my kids got involved in 4-H it was a real pain not having a tack room in the stock trailer.  It's a 3H stock type so I can even haul cattle in it if I have too. The trailer stays hooked up and in the road.  My girls ride drill team and practice weekly and several times a week when getting ready for a competition.  Between them and my own trail riding it gets used a lot.  I keep it cleaned out after every use and take it to the car wash every couple of months to hose out the back good.  Works great for our needs and I don't have to pull the LQ trailer everytime I need to haul tack too.  The purpose of the story is buy what suits your needs.  All of our trailers are out in the weather.  All trailers getted cleaned after each use and with the exception of some minor surface rust even our steel stock is in great shape.  Take good care of your purchase and it will hopefully serve you well.  I do prefer the ease of caring for the aluminum and both are very sturdy well-built trailers.  Good luck in your search!!