Stall size in trailer?
Steffanyace
Reg. Nov 2008
Posted 2008-11-29 5:03 PM (#95474)
Subject: Stall size in trailer?

I bought a (used) 3 horse slant load ponderosa trailer that was 6' wide and quickly found out that neither one of my horses would fit in between the dividers.  I could shut the divider on one, but he was way to cramped to actually haul him that way.  I couldn't even shut the door on my mare (she was too long to fit).  I'm shoppping for a new trailer but want to make sure I get one my horses will comfortably fit in.  I'm considering the Titan Avalanche II which is 6'8" wide with the stalls being 40" wide.  I'm having a hard time thinking that an extra 8" would make enough difference.  So what do you think . . . Has anyone had problems fitting bigger horses within these dimensions?  My horses aren't tall, but they are about 1200 lbs each and long.

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
randemtam
Reg. Jun 2007
Posted 2008-11-29 6:40 PM (#95478 - in reply to #95474)
Subject: RE: Stall size in trailer?

Extreme Veteran

Consider a trailer that is 8ft wide and measure the stalls....My large horses (16H draft crosses) fit fine in my 8ft wide slant trailer and I have sqished them in 7ft slant trailers for VERY short rides with a friend....otherwise, consider a straight load. Your horses will be much happier that way.
hogtownboss
Reg. Sep 2008
Posted 2008-11-29 9:07 PM (#95481 - in reply to #95474)

Expert

The best thing to do is load you horses in whatever trailer you are interested in fisrt! I have a 07 S&H 3 horse gooseneck that I bought just for vet trips and it is only 6' wide and we have no problem at all loading rather large quarters horses. (most of ours avg 1250+, anywhere from 15hh to over 16hh)

It is all in how the stalls are set up, most lower end trailers will make a shorter trailer to save some money. And a higher end type trailer will have a little longer frame so the actaul stalls are longer (more of an angle)
The extra 8" in the Titan will make a big differenace. If both trailers are say a 3 horse, you can measure the actaul floor lenght of both trailers you will find the Titan will be a little longer on the floor which means more room in the stalls! Trust me, been there done that!
gabz
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2008-11-30 8:57 AM (#95492 - in reply to #95478)

Expert

What size are your horses?  I have a Titan Avalanche GN 3H slant.

The BEST way to see if your horses will fit in any slant trailer is to stand your horse relaxed. Measure from nose to butt.  Use THAT measurement. Then, measure the length of the slant divider. Do NOT use any other measurement that a brochure or salesperson gives you for length.

I haul my 15.1h 1200 pound QH comfortably in my slant trailer. He wears a 76-78 blanket. However, I am also able to remove the divider between the front and middle stall and then give him 2 stalls for long hauls.

to haul a 16.1 hand Belgian draft - because of his bulk, he needed 2 stalls or no dividers. His length was okay, since Belgians hold their heads a little higher when relaxed, but his bulk was too snug and my dividers have no padding on them. But... perhaps a 16.1 hand T'bred or similar built horse would be fine.

The last stall in trailers will generally be a little more roomy. 

One thing about slants with no rear tack... be sure they have a safety chain for the full width of the rear so that the horses are not leaning on the rear doors.

jdzaharia
Reg. Apr 2006
Posted 2008-12-01 11:28 AM (#95538 - in reply to #95474)

Extreme Veteran

Trailer width is not the only factor. Our horses fit comfortably in our 6'-8" wide CM trailer, but barely fit in our friend's 7' wide Exiss and Kiefer trailers. It's about geometry. Some trailers have wider stalls, or a different angle to provide a longer stall. To say that your horses didn't fit in one particular 6' wide trailer so you need a 8' wide trailer would be nonsense. The 6'-8" wide Titans I am familiar with will fit large horses comfortably. But, as a previous poster mentioned, load your horses before you buy. Or, take lots of measurements.