Question on winterizing plumbing in LQ
Ncatanz
Reg. Jun 2008
Posted 2008-11-18 5:56 PM (#95088)
Subject: Question on winterizing plumbing in LQ

Veteran

I have read the owner's manual for a trailer I am looking at to buy and they suggest filling the tanks and lines with an RV anti-freeze for the winter.  First of all YUCK!  why would I want that stuff in the lines that I will later be drinking out of,  even if you flush it out really good in the spring,  I can't think that there would be some residual RV antifreeze left in the lines.  Why can't you just drain all the lines,  blow them out and maybe just add a little RV anti freeze to the traps in the sink, shower and toilet?
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2008-11-18 6:39 PM (#95090 - in reply to #95088)
Subject: RE: Question on winterizing plumbing in LQ

Expert

Originally written by Ncatanz on 2008-11-18 6:56 PM

Why can't you just drain all the lines,  blow them out and maybe just add a little RV anti freeze to the traps in the sink, shower and toilet?

You can and that's what many people do. An air line adaptor only costs a few dollars, it just takes a few minutes to clear the lines, and add antifreeze to the drains. For people who often use their LQs in cold weather, this is much easier and less expensive than completely purging with antifreeze, anytime the trailer is used.

Gard

IcePonyGoddess
Reg. Nov 2006
Posted 2008-11-18 6:56 PM (#95091 - in reply to #95088)

Elite Veteran

The PINK RV antifreeze is safe to use and will not harm you ...even if you drink it.

Yes...you should use it in your lines!

Blowing out the lines may not be enough. Google How to Winterize an RV for help.

In the spring, you just hook up a water line and flush the water lines out. Run until the water runs clear.

RV antifreeze in non-toxic!

docbar 20
Reg. Feb 2007
Posted 2008-11-19 4:41 AM (#95099 - in reply to #95088)

We keep our living quarters hooked to elec. all of the time.We put antifreeze just enough so it will catch in the traps and leave an oil filled heater on when below freezing.This keeps the inside at about 45 deg. with the furnace on as a backup in case of power outage.The oil filled heaters are great we also have one in our well house down by the barn.
daisycake123
Reg. Sep 2008
Posted 2008-11-19 6:49 PM (#95115 - in reply to #95088)

I do like gard suggest and blow my lines out and no anti freeze in the like and h2o is not nasty in the spring.
BlazingCreekBar
Reg. Nov 2008
Posted 2008-11-19 7:45 PM (#95116 - in reply to #95088)

Extreme Veteran

Spring cannot come soon enough! 

Use RV Antifreeze take no chances with your investment.

Drain your hot water tank and leave the plug out for the winter.  Replace the plug if the anode is more than 75% deteriorated.  For the 12 bucks replace it anyhow if the trailer is a few years old.  I like to attach a small 1/2" tube to my hose so I can squirt water inside the hot water tank and rinse out the sand.  I go one step further and use 1/2" tube and start a siphon while I am rinsing. The siphon pulls out the sand and sediment from the bottom of the tank at the same time.  Siphon as much as you can out when done.  Use an air compressor and clean out the burn chamber of all rust and grime. Brush clean and close up for the spring.  I placed my new anode in the kitchen sink waiting for me next spring.

If equipped flip the bypass valves so you do not winterize the hot water tank.

Drain your fresh water tank.  (Never add winterize to the fresh water tank)

There is a winterizing kit on the market that you can install on the inlet side of your water pump.  Most RV dealers have it in stock along with the anode.  Some LQ's have this installed already. 

There should be a few drain valves that drain out onto the ground.  Open all these up.  There is a plug you can buy that lets you blow air into the city water hookup be careful and reduce the pressure less than 30 lbs.  You can do serious damage.

Blow out all the water opening and closing all facets showers and toilets.  Do not forget the sprayer on the toilet if so equipped.

Now against your better judgment shut the drain valves, drop the feed tube of the winterize kit on the inlet of your pump and pump antifreeze until it comes out pink at each faucet, toilet, shower and sprayer.  Then take the empty container and place it on the ground under the drain valve open the vale and return the anti freeze to the jug.  If you do not add RV antifreeze you risk damage.  Water lays low in the dips of the water lines the compressed air will pass over the top of the water leaving it behind.  The anti freeze mixes with the remaining water reducing the risk of freeze breaks.

My LQ takes two jugs and returns one.

In the spring run fresh water thru the lines for 15 minutes before you let it go into the hot water tank.  Flip all the bypasses to normal operating positions install your new anode with plenty of plumber’s putty.  And charge the lines.  If the Hot water tank leaks just tighten the anode a hair more.

You should be good to go no bad taste.