Is there a way to check how much gas remains in LP tanks in LQ trailer?
dweber2000
Reg. Oct 2008
Posted 2008-11-02 8:13 PM (#94104)
Subject: Is there a way to check how much gas remains in LP tanks in LQ trailer?

How can I tell how much gas is left in 2 LP tanks in my LQ trailer without taking them off the trailer? There is a green line showing, but I still do not know how to tell when a tank needs refilling (there are 2 tanks, but I have been only using one-is that OK or should I always turn them both on?)Also, since my trailer is new, it seems like I should try to keep my own (new) canisters (rather than trade them in) when I do need to get gas tanks refilled-or does it matter? PS-I have never used gas furnace yet, only used gas for hot water heater for the past 6 months, so there should be quite a bit of gas left, correct? ThanksDeb (Medicinehatgirl)in beautiful South Carolina
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
gaitriders
Reg. Jan 2008
Posted 2008-11-02 10:37 PM (#94110 - in reply to #94104)
Subject: RE: Is there a way to check how much gas remains in LP tanks in LQ trailer?

You can turn both tanks on at the same time. Where your green line is on your LP regulator, that will turn red when the tank goes empty. You will see an arrow pointing to one tank, that is the one you are using. It will only use out of one at a time, not both. So by turning them both on, when the one you are using goes empty, it will automatically start using from the other tank. Most LP companys will fill your tank, but they like to trade them out as it is quicker for them to do that. You should always get a good clean and safe tank. The propane companys have to check them over and recertify them if they are so old befor they can be refilled. Only reason I know that is I have been in the propane business for 30 years. Hope this helps and sorry to ramble on.
Thanks Brad
crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2008-11-03 9:04 AM (#94132 - in reply to #94104)
Subject: RE: Is there a way to check how much gas remains in LP tanks in LQ trailer?

Expert

We have this thing,I don't know the exact brand name.It is a magnetic strip and it applies vertically on the tank.It is kind of a hassle,but,you pour hot water along the strip and it changes colors,indicates if your tank is full,or where the propane is along the strip.I'd rather know before I go on a trip if one of my tanks is nearly empty or needs refilling,ect because I'd want both tanks full if it were cold and I was using the furnace,hot water,ect.
hogtownboss
Reg. Sep 2008
Posted 2008-11-03 9:57 AM (#94137 - in reply to #94104)

Expert

I bought a gauge from Home Depot in the gas grille section, the brand name is flame king and in fits in line between the hose and the tank. Works great and was only around 15 buck or so. I just bought one because ours has an automatic change over valve so when I fill the tanks I use the tank with no gauge first, then with it switches over I can watch the gauge from there. If you go online to campingworld.com they have the same item also.
kohldad
Reg. Aug 2008
Posted 2008-11-03 9:47 PM (#94198 - in reply to #94104)

When using a high consumption item such as the furnace or hot water, you can run you finger down the side of the tank and feel where the cold liquid begins, possibly even seeing a frost or dew line if the temp and moisture is right. 

For just running a refrigerator, a tank will last a long time.  The automatic change over valve is the best way.  When red, the tank is empty.

Another tip is to take your tanks to a place that will fill the tanks by meter, not just a flat price.  Then you will just pay for what you get so doesn't matter if the tank is completely empty or not.