loading a horse
shelly1367
Reg. Jul 2008
Posted 2008-10-30 3:01 PM (#93965)
Subject: loading a horse

Help I have a 14 yr. old mare who is terrible at loading in our stock trailer! Sometimes she goes right on other times it is a struggle. Any suggestions? The trailer is plenty tall and like I said sometimes she'll jump right on sometimes not.
Her personality is bosses and stubborn so it fits. But I need help getting her over this terrible bad habit.
Thanks!
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
randemtam
Reg. Jun 2007
Posted 2008-10-30 9:49 PM (#93996 - in reply to #93965)
Subject: RE: loading a horse

Extreme Veteran

Be sure that when you work with her in general that she doesn't get her way and that you are the head of the herd....She may just be asserting herself and it may be a simple training issue. On the other hand, check that your trailer is not a miserable ride for her. Perhaps she remembers being tossed about or perhaps the trailer is loud and rattles a lot. She might not appreciate that either.

I'm not sure this will help, but it's a thought.

Good luck

cowgirl98034
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2008-10-30 11:31 PM (#93999 - in reply to #93965)

Extreme Veteran

Sometimes my easy to load horse, won't load... I always have the same tool ready when it happens though.  I use a lounge line and loop it through the trailer window, hook it to his halter and give a little pull with the left hand on the end and he will always walk right in that way.  He put up huge fights in the past and I discovered that it was the only way to get him in when I was trailering alone.  Now he almost wants that lounge line hooked on... sometimes i hook it on and he does not know it isn't through the window but walks right in anyway. 

I can say that once I decided to load and unload until he would walk in with ease.  I did that and he walked in with ease when he wanted to, but still has days when he does not want to load.  I really don't know why he does that but do have that lounge line ready, before I go catch him up, just to make sure I can immediately load him if he refuses.  This might not be much help to you but thought I'd share my experience.

ponytammy
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2008-10-30 11:35 PM (#94001 - in reply to #93965)

Elite Veteran

Sounds like your horse has a respect issue and also does not view the trailer as a happy place to be. There are several clincians that have good videos on trailer loading. I prefer Clinton Anderson method for teaching respect and trailer loading. I also use a reward system for young horses and teaching old ones that have never backed out. There are some other posts on HTW that go over what other folks have done too - just do a search.

Also, make sure there is not a lot of rattling gates or floor boards that is giving her a bad ride. And make slow starts and stops when hauling.

Edited by ponytammy 2008-10-30 11:38 PM
pasobeth
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2008-10-31 8:31 AM (#94012 - in reply to #93965)

Regular

Something to try....Pay attention to when the horse loads GOOD.  Is it going away from home or coming back home? Where is the trailer parked?  Is the sunlight shinning into the trailer?  Shadows and light play a big role in how the inside of that trailer looks to a horse eye.  Sometimes it's as simple as moving the trailer to a different position and thereby changing the light/shadows.  It does not sound like she's afraid, but maybe she is not quite trusting your judgement saying that the trailer is "safe".  Or...maybe she's just bing a snot! LOL
hounddog
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2008-10-31 11:03 AM (#94023 - in reply to #93965)

Expert

Follow PonyTammys advise .Respect,move her feet gain respect.

Edited by hounddog 2008-10-31 11:04 AM
shelly1367
Reg. Jul 2008
Posted 2008-11-03 11:21 AM (#94143 - in reply to #93965)

Just wanted to thank you all and update you on my loading problem....

As one of the posts suggested, I kept her mind busy and didn't let her buffalo me. If she wouldn't come forwaed, I made her back up. If she wouldn't back up we walked in a circle...etc..
Finally after a little wrok she jumped right on. I think we've both figured out that I am the boss! After practicing several times this weekend she now goes right on. Maybe not right away. But instead of spending 30 mins. working with her it nw only takes about 5 min. Shes doing much better. Thanks for all your opinions and suggestions!
hounddog
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2008-11-03 2:40 PM (#94160 - in reply to #93965)

Expert

Try longing not walking.Left right and change it up.Walking is not much work or following direction.
Buffy111_99
Reg. May 2006
Posted 2008-11-09 6:06 PM (#94583 - in reply to #94143)

Regular

Originally written by shelly1367 on 2008-11-03 12:21 PM

Just wanted to thank you all and update you on my loading problem.... As one of the posts suggested, I kept her mind busy and didn't let her buffalo me. If she wouldn't come forwaed, I made her back up. If she wouldn't back up we walked in a circle...etc.. Finally after a little wrok she jumped right on. I think we've both figured out that I am the boss! After practicing several times this weekend she now goes right on. Maybe not right away. But instead of spending 30 mins. working with her it nw only takes about 5 min. Shes doing much better. Thanks for all your opinions and suggestions!

If she is not loading RIGHT AWAY then she still is not trained!  Keep it up.  She is doing this because she can!   BTW, this is a leading problem not a trailering problem.  She should virtually lead anywhere you lead her - whether it is on a trailer or through water!