C&C Trailer Air Ride Arm breaking
RJKNOTT2000
Reg. Oct 2008
Posted 2008-10-23 5:24 PM (#93496)
Subject: C&C Trailer Air Ride Arm breaking

Has any one else had problems with C&C with there air ride?

I have a 07 and have broken 2 arms so far and found out that this air ride has no warrenty.Any one else having problems?

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Tx. Vaquero
Reg. Jun 2006
Posted 2008-10-23 5:38 PM (#93497 - in reply to #93496)
Subject: RE: C&C Trailer Air Ride Arm breaking

What brand are the air ride axles? If they are Dexter, they should carry a warranty from Dexter. I have never heard of one breaking. Do you have any pictures of where the break is occuring?
RJKNOTT2000
Reg. Oct 2008
Posted 2008-10-23 5:50 PM (#93498 - in reply to #93497)

ITs not the axle they are fine its the air ride arms.

Yes i have pic whats you emial i can send them.

Last time it took 2 weeks to replace all 4 now its taking 2 weeks to replace the one and i have over 30 people waitng on me, and this trailer but they don't care.

Tx. Vaquero
Reg. Jun 2006
Posted 2008-10-23 5:59 PM (#93499 - in reply to #93496)

I sent you a PM, check your inbox
Tx. Vaquero
Reg. Jun 2006
Posted 2008-10-23 7:56 PM (#93506 - in reply to #93496)

Some of the C&C dealers on here need to contact this guy and look at the pictures he has of the structural failure he has on the Ridewell airride arms. This is a serious design and structural flaw and I cannot believe someone is not stepping up to make this right. I believe C&C is a top quality trailer and is making a good name on the circuit, but this is a bad design flaw and I can't understand them putting their reputation at stake over Ridewell's problem. It is costing him several thousand dollars and a lot of down time each time he has this same failure. He has more patience with them than I would have.
stablemom
Reg. Jun 2007
Posted 2008-10-23 8:07 PM (#93508 - in reply to #93496)

Veteran

We have loved our C&C, but it does not have the air ride. Has he contacted the C&C dealer or C&C itself? Best of luck to you!

Trying to sell my C&C, son is in college now but of course not many people buying it seems.

RJKNOTT2000
Reg. Oct 2008
Posted 2008-10-23 8:11 PM (#93509 - in reply to #93508)

I have taken it back to C&C both times, last time it cost me $3000 to get it fixed.

So beware.

stablemom
Reg. Jun 2007
Posted 2008-10-23 8:16 PM (#93510 - in reply to #93496)

Veteran

Might be worth getting some legal counsel.

First I have ever heard of this and usually C&C is great to work with (at least that has been my experience).

RJKNOTT2000
Reg. Oct 2008
Posted 2008-10-23 8:22 PM (#93511 - in reply to #93510)

If any one wants pics email me directly rjhorsetransports@onemain.com and i will send you the pics.

I can't upload them here.

brushycreekranch
Reg. Jun 2006
Posted 2008-10-23 9:38 PM (#93514 - in reply to #93496)

Maybe you could get C&C to replace it with the STI air ride system. The STI system was pretty much trouble free for 60K miles on our 2004 4 Star 4H LQ.
RJKNOTT2000
Reg. Oct 2008
Posted 2008-10-24 8:10 AM (#93526 - in reply to #93514)

I have tried that already too. They refuse says it would cost them to much. But it doesn't matter how much its costing me.They are just trying to sweep it under the rug that there is a problem. And they don't want any one to know about it .So to all that have this Ridewell system be on the look out, and have a hold of your wallet.

time to rope
Reg. Oct 2008
Posted 2008-10-24 11:02 AM (#93538 - in reply to #93496)

New User

Are you using it correctly??  It is my understanding that the only way that would happen is if you don't know what you are doing, or how to use it.... just a thought, might do some research on how they are supposed to be used.
retento
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2008-10-24 11:20 AM (#93540 - in reply to #93496)

Expert

time to rope... Who are you, and where did you come from all of a sudden??

Rinnie... This your rig??  http://www.rjhorsetransports.com/services.html

Your trailer use the "Featheride" setup?  http://www.ridewellcorp.com/FeatherideNewProduct.shtml

http://www.ridewellcorp.com/featheridesm0504%20booklet.pdf

Edited by retento 2008-10-24 11:27 AM
RJKNOTT2000
Reg. Oct 2008
Posted 2008-10-24 12:09 PM (#93546 - in reply to #93540)

This set up is called the Red Rider AIr Susupesion, By Ridewell.

I just got off the Phone with C&C and they have all my parts, but guess what.

They laid off all there workers for the slow times and now there is no one to work on it.

They said they would try to find some one late next week.Hopefully.

Are other trailer manufatures do business like this?

retento
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2008-10-24 1:31 PM (#93557 - in reply to #93496)

Expert

ADJUSTMENT

• With vehicle on level ground, build and maintain supply air pressure.

• Rotate horizontal lever arm DOWN to exhaust air springs or rotate UP to inflate springs

until proper ride height is achieved. Note: Nub on rotating shaft should point towards the

vertical linkage.

• Slide vertical link rod through hole in the offset dampener link. Install vertical link rod

grommet to bottom pin. Tighten clamp on offset dampener link.

TEST: Disconnect vertical link rod grommet from bottom pin. Rotate horizontal lever arm

DOWN to exhaust air springs about halfway.

• Rotate horizontal lever arm UP until grommet is at bottom pin level. Air springs should reinflate

to ride height level.

• Re-connect grommet to pin. Check to see if air springs are of equal firmness.

• Trim off excess vertical link rod “stick-out” past the offset dampener link if needed for proper

operation. CAUTION: Vertical link rod must extend completely through offset

dampener at all times. Also trim excess rod on horizontal lever arm.

RJKNOTT2000
Reg. Oct 2008
Posted 2008-10-24 2:17 PM (#93562 - in reply to #93557)

The adjustment is fine its the arm that supportsd the axle is bending with stress and then finally breaks.

Shoot me a email and i will send you pics of this so you can understand.

C&C set the height and has checked it often. It has 60 lbs of air to carry 8000lbs. and the tank should hold 100psi.All that is fine.Just that they used 4x4 square tubing and after awhile it gives.

C & C Trailers, Inc.
Reg. Oct 2008
Posted 2008-10-24 2:57 PM (#93564 - in reply to #93496)

New User

As a quality trailer manufacturer, we strive to find quality products to live up to our standards.  Our partnership with Ridewell has been & still is one of those.

We have many Ridewell systems on the road today & we have not been previously notified of any air ride arm failures.

In the specific situation with Mr. Knott, Ridewell has provided at no charge, all the parts to repair his trailer. I understand & can sympathize with Mr. Knott’s frustrations as we all need/want everything “yesterday”.  Unfortunately we are not always able to obtain that. After being made aware of the situation on Monday, October 20th, we then contacted Ridewell on Mr. Knott’s behalf & as stated above, persuaded them to supply the parts at no charge.  C & C received the parts late on Thursday, October 23rd.  Mr. Knott was then told his trailer would be ready on Wednesday, October 29th.  We do not believe this is an unreasonable amount of time for this type of repair & are concerned that Mr. Knott sees it necessary to embellish a few of the details to make his side of the story look better.  He was never told we would “try to find someone late next week, hopefully.”  It is true we have downsized our workforce.  Who hasn’t recently in this economy?  However, this was not used as an “excuse” or “reason” for Mr. Knott receiving his trailer Wednesday. If this timeframe is not acceptable to Mr. Knott, he has always and still does have the option of picking up his parts and getting the work done elsewhere.

Most warranties, & not just the horse trailer industry, state that labor is not included. This system is out of warranty its warranty period, yet Ridewell, agreed to take care of the parts required for the repairs.  C & C Trailers builds a quality trailer & we are doing everything necessary to take care of this customer even though C & C does not manufacture the system itself. 

C & C has an extremely good reputation for quality & customer satisfaction & our Customer Surveys prove it.  Even though we try very hard, we will not always be able to make everyone happy & are disappointed that this is one of those times we may not succeed in satisfying the customer. 

If Mr. Knott feels it is necessary to continue slandering our name and reputation, then all we can hope for is that everyone who reads or hears about this situation will look at both sides & speak with other owners of our trailers before coming to any conclusions.

C & C Trailers Family

retento
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2008-10-24 4:57 PM (#93570 - in reply to #93496)

Expert

RJKNOTT2000... What do you use in place of your C&C when it's out of service? You got a second trailer as a backup?
RJKNOTT2000
Reg. Oct 2008
Posted 2008-10-24 5:23 PM (#93576 - in reply to #93496)

Glad to hear from C&C. Yes i am frustrated. First time it happen had horses on and had to unload on the hwy.This time found it before i headed out.Now my customers are ticked off.

This time I contacted Ridewell .They informed me that they would re-supply the parts so I notified C&C(Lou) that they would supply the parts at no charge. I am sure he called and verfied this.After this I wanted to see a copy of the Ridwell  warranty.(never had this till now) The waranty states "The Ridewell corp warrants the parts manufactured by it to be free from defects in materialand workmanship under proper use, installation and maintence for a period of 120 days from shipment to the orginal purchaser" (C&C).  So if you ordered a trailer and and it takes 4-8 weeks to build, then that would leave you 56 days left on your warranty.The trailer has been good, some modifications to resupport the structures, but for most part it has been good. I want every one to check this out if they have this system.I don't want any one else to have to unload horses on the hwy or have a wreck due to this failure.Safety first! All I am asking everyone is to be aware. Start checking your warranties.

C&C and I have been doing business for several years and this is my second trailer. And I am sorry to see this happen. I have fellow haulers that have different brands of trailers and they have also had problems with their air ride,(STI )(has a 5yr warranty.) but the trailer manufactor(4Star) stepped up and took care of the problems and covered parts AND labor. I was hoping C&C would do the same as the labor bill on this last incident with the air ride system 9 months ago, cost me almost $3000.

SO just be aware of the problems and don't get stuck on the road.Check your system often. And be safe out there.