Running barrels - need help
Candy girl
Reg. Apr 2006
Posted 2008-09-29 8:38 AM (#92264)
Subject: Running barrels - need help

Veteran

The folks in our gang are pleasure trail riders and my sister and I participate in local "Fun Shows" 2-3 times a year.  I have an Appendix QH mare who is great on the trail.  It sure seems to me like she may have contested at some time in her life because whenever we enter an arena, I can tell her focus changes.  She does have several racers in her bloodline and she can really kick it into gear when asked.   I was practicing with some barrels yesterday.  My question is this:  We can head into a barrel real well, with her head down and she slides her rear end over without much cueing, however, she almost comes to a halt right next to the barrel and then she has to kick it up again to head to the next, which is not the easiest to ride.  How do I keep her moving steadily all the way around the barrel?  Again, we are just "playing"....not die-hard contesters, but I do like to win a ribbon once in a while.  I feel she has the potential, but I just don't know what I'm supposed to do.  Any suggestions?
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
gabz
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2008-09-29 2:06 PM (#92298 - in reply to #92264)
Subject: RE: Running barrels - need help

Expert

When you / she come around the barrel, where is your weight?  If you are tipped forward, you are preventing her from lifting her front end which allows her back end to push her forward.  You need to keep your weight back... over the horse's back. Only your rein hand should go forward. 

Go wide into the barrel and come out tight and fast.

Why not video tape each other, then watch as much as you can on RFD TV or at live shows and compare what YOU are doing to those who are winning.

Also... barrel racers do NOT practice the pattern over and over. They practice the parts and pieces of the pattern separately.  You need to learn how to cue for each lead; how to "rate" (slowdown) the horse going into the barrel; how to push the horse out of the turn, etc.

Edited by gabz 2008-09-29 2:08 PM
Marla
Reg. Mar 2008
Posted 2008-09-29 8:29 PM (#92323 - in reply to #92264)
Subject: RE: Running barrels - need help

Extreme Veteran

I ran barrels quite a bit when I was younger.  Back then it was a matter of pride that a rider never touch the saddle horn.  We were taught to ride with our seat and our legs.  Now most girls grab for the horn and hang on for dear life, then whip and spur the snot out of their horses to cross the finish line.  Then they wonder why their horses sour and refuse to enter the ring.  Learn to RIDE, first and foremost.  As you round the barrel, drop your inside hand down the rein and help your horse turn his nose to the inside.  Hanging on to the horn and reining with one hand tips your horse's nose to the outside, not allowing him to round the barrel smoothly.  Sit deep in your saddle and keep your center of balance behind your horse's withers.  Keep your heels down for maximum leg contact and your weight on the ball of your feet.  Don't make the mistake of ramming your foot as far into the stirrup as possible.  Some riders claim that this practice keeps them from losing a stirrup, but if your weight is on your feet where it should be you won't lose your stirrup.  Use your legs to drive your horse through the turn.  Is your horse left handed or right handed?  It is legal to run the pattern in either direction, so determine which turn is more comfortable for your horse and run the pattern accordingly. Work your horse for twenty or thirty minutes in the arena, stop on a good note, and hit the trail for relaxation.  Best of luck and have fun!

Marla