Shipping Trailers O/S
cmowbray
Reg. Sep 2008
Posted 2008-09-02 10:37 PM (#90866)
Subject: Shipping Trailers O/S

New User

Does anyone know what it costs to ship a mid-sized gooseneck trailer via sea, in a container, from the USA (I'm guessing West Coast) to Sydney, Australia? I have had some weird prices quoted, from mere hundreds, to tens of thousands.
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Barfly
Reg. Jun 2008
Posted 2008-09-03 7:44 AM (#90882 - in reply to #90866)
Subject: RE: Shipping Trailers O/S

Veteran

Hello there.

I do not know what it would cost to Auz, but contact this guy - Peter Destefano of SEFCO his email is:peterdestefano@optonline.net . He will be able to assist you. i recently shipped a Cherokee 4H GN from Baltimore to East London South Africa and I used them to do the shipping.... verry effiecient and always friendly and helpfull. You want to see if the trailer will fit into a container...most of them don't, they are too wide. Mine was put on a RoRo (roll on roll off car carrier) and it cost about $8000 for the shipping... but then it is a long way, your shipping should be less - it also depends on the size as they normally charge by volume.

If there is anything else I can assist you with, send me a pm and I will try and help where I can.

Good luck

Cheers for now

Nick

Sunny South Africa

Barfly
Reg. Jun 2008
Posted 2008-09-03 7:49 AM (#90883 - in reply to #90866)

Veteran

Hello there

Not sure what it would cost to Auz, but contact this guy:

Peter Destefano at peterdestefano@optonline.net he will be able to assist you with any shipping queries. He did mine for me and it went like clockwork. I shiped a Cherokee 4H Gn tp East London South Africa. It cost me $8000 US - but then it is a long way.

Just check to see if the trailer will fit into a container - most of them don't as they are too wide. I sent mine on a RoRo.

If there is anything I can assist you with, send me a pm and I will see if I can help

Cheers for now

Nick - Sunny South Africa 

DD_TrailerMan
Reg. Jul 2008
Posted 2008-09-03 8:37 AM (#90886 - in reply to #90866)

Veteran

We do lots of shipping to Australia.  A few things to consider is:

1.  width, you have to be less than 98 inches wide or they will not register the trailer.  Recently, they are more strict on this requirement.   

2.  width for shipping, the container is 92 inches wide and container shipping is much less than roll on roll off, about 4k vs 10k+.  The easy way out is to build the trailer more narrow but you don't want to give up that width.  We have a creative way to be 6'8" trailer box width and 7'6" tall and still fit into the container.

3.  wiring for clearance lights, rear lights, 240V appliances.  There are different standards for clearance lights color/position, rear lights and 240V appliances.  Of course, here in the US, we have to be different and we only use 120.  We use special appliances in the LQ, plugs, lighting packages to meet the Australian guidelines. 

email me if you have any questions and I will be glad to help

Bartley Heath

bartley@DoubleDtrailers.com

Edited by DD_TrailerMan 2008-09-03 8:40 AM
cmowbray
Reg. Sep 2008
Posted 2008-09-03 10:27 PM (#90926 - in reply to #90866)

New User

Thanks guys. I have found some trailers I really like, but it seems the mark-up by the (Australian) importer will make it TWICE the cost that it is in the US. I am thinking that this is too much mark-up, unless there are some things that I have not taken into account.I don't want any appliances (who wants to cook at an event?), so wiring for 240V is not an issue (I can always sling an extension cord through the window if I really feel the need to plug in a microwave or a flat-screen TV). As for the lights etc on the trailer - these are all 12V anyway, and the one I looked at here seemed not to have been modified at all.So I guess the issue is, will the trailer fit in a container? I'll just have to get out my converter....Also, does weight come into it? The trailers I like are around the 2000kg mark.
Barfly
Reg. Jun 2008
Posted 2008-09-04 12:45 AM (#90932 - in reply to #90926)

Veteran

Hello

At 2000kg's you are fine. that is way below the max for a container...

Good luck with your purchase

Nick