'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Cherokee, Silver Star, Sooner Trailers - Quality & Pros/Cons of each

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2016-09-02 4:30 PM
22 replies, 37788 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

halliea
Reg. May 2008
Posted 2008-05-22 8:37 PM (#84511)
Subject: Cherokee, Silver Star, Sooner Trailers - Quality & Pros/Cons of each

New User

I am in the market to find a 4horse with LQ. I would love to have a brand new 4 Star, but my pocket book doesn't seem to agree!  I have found a few used trailers in my price range - a Silver Star, a Sooner & a Cherokee.  I would love to hear everyone's opinion on these trailers as far as quality goes.  Which is the best?  Who has had problems with any of them?  Would you buy another?  Who hates the brand?  Also, if anyone knows of a site that does reviews on horse trailers, that would be helpful.

Thanks!

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2008-05-22 9:44 PM (#84518 - in reply to #84511)
Subject: RE: Cherokee, Silver Star, Sooner Trailers - Quality & Pros/Cons of each

Expert

What year model is the Sooner? Because Sooner used to be an excellent trailer.I have a 95 BP 2H slant that I wouldn't take today what I paid for it,even though I have not had it all that long,they are hard to find.This was when Sooner made their own door latches,everything.Now they are owned by Universal,and I'm not sure about them.Also own Exiss,and Featherlite.I think it would be between the Cherokee and Sooner,if it were me deciding.
jakey1
Reg. Dec 2003
Posted 2008-05-23 7:50 AM (#84541 - in reply to #84511)
Subject: RE: Cherokee, Silver Star, Sooner Trailers - Quality & Pros/Cons of each

Extreme Veteran

Said it before, but I'll say it again... I love my Silver Star - Starlite Supreme...  2H Slant, GN, 3' 6" short wall DR that is in the process of becoming a DYI LQ. It's an '03 and has held up very well.  Stalls are wider than most slants.  I have a pass thru door and an escape door on the 1st stall, swing out saddle rack in the back tack area... tows like a dream with my GMS Sierra 1500.

The only disadvantage is that Silver Star is out of business, but if you're buying a used trailer, you most likely would not have a manufacturer's warranty anyway.

4-Star makes a great trailer.  I like what I've seen in the Cherokee.  Can't comment on Sooner.

KeepsakeFarm
Reg. Feb 2008
Posted 2008-05-23 8:44 AM (#84553 - in reply to #84511)

Veteran

I'm no expert, but I looked for over a year for a decent LQ trailer that I could afford and, after seeing many used Sooners with the rubber in the back all torn up, finally asked a dealer why and was told that the product used wasn't as sturdy as what other manufacturers used.  I quit even looking at Sooners, but if the rubber on the walls is heavy duty and in good shape, it could be that the the Sooner was made to order or not in a year that they used the lighter material.

I liked both the Silver Stars and the Cherokees that I saw, but never ran across a Cherokee I could afford.  Hope that is helpful.

lesliemal
Reg. Sep 2007
Posted 2008-05-23 9:01 AM (#84554 - in reply to #84511)

Extreme Veteran

I have a 2005 3H Cherokee Tomahawk with the smallest LQ ever seen.  I bought the trailer used in Feb 2007 and I have only had one small problem.  One of the drop down window doohickies broke (the fitting that holds it down).  I called Cherokee and they sent me a new one.  I really like my trailer and have had several people tell me that Cherokee makes a good quality trailer.

retento
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2008-05-23 9:05 AM (#84556 - in reply to #84511)

Expert

We got a Silver Star and a new Cherokee, well pleased with the Silver Star, big DR, mid tack, stud dividers, Ramp, fully lined and insulated, walls and roof, etc. Really nice trailer for the money...Have not had the Cherokee long enough to form an opinion, so far so good!! Only pulled it about 4000 miles. I believe it's going to do well. Neither trailer has a LQ, I kinda had a LQ trailer on my mind, when my wife decided she had to have the 6 horse head to head Cherokee......OH WELL!!  We're not much on people comforts, just critter comforts. Check my signature.
Brrl Rcn Jet
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2008-05-23 7:53 PM (#84580 - in reply to #84511)

New User

I love my Silver Star. Am wokirng on a DIY LQ right now.
ponytammy
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2008-05-23 9:13 PM (#84582 - in reply to #84511)

Elite Veteran

We had a 2001 Cherokee Invasion and had zero issues with it. The drop down bars are not as beefy as a 4-Star, but they were functional. I really like Cherokee's divider latch system, very simple and easy to use. The rubber on the interior horse compartment was very durable. Held up to a mare we had that like to brace her foot on the wall. Only sold it to buy a bigger LQ trailer. Now I wish I would have kept it to use as a Day Trailer.
Copper1272
Reg. Nov 2006
Posted 2008-05-24 9:59 AM (#84597 - in reply to #84511)

Regular

I have a Cherokee 3 horse Tomahawk. We have started adding the living quarters and I love mine so far. Pulls nice too.
lilcashseeker
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2008-05-24 4:12 PM (#84599 - in reply to #84511)

Hurricane Survivor

I purchased my 1999 Cherokee Invation 3H w/ 6ftLqt.from off this site used... and just love it.very well made.

halliea
Reg. May 2008
Posted 2008-05-28 7:57 PM (#84843 - in reply to #84511)

New User

Thank you all so much for all of your insight!  The Sooner that I was looking at is a 99, so maybe it was made well?  Although I hadn't heard a lot about Cherokee's, they appeared to be very well built trailers.  Again, Thanks!

gouch
Reg. Jun 2008
Posted 2008-06-08 5:46 PM (#85403 - in reply to #84541)

New User

Hi there,
I noticed you posted that you own a Silver Star Trailer. I am considering purchasing a used one. Do you know when they went out of business. Has it been any problem for you so far. I noticed you are in Newton, NJ. I used to live in Hampton. Any additional information would be greatly appreciated. Thank you
jakey1
Reg. Dec 2003
Posted 2008-06-10 8:02 AM (#85452 - in reply to #84511)

Extreme Veteran

gouch... left you a PM!...

old barrel racer
Reg. Jun 2008
Posted 2008-06-12 3:38 PM (#85592 - in reply to #84511)

New User

I had a "share" Elite with my daughter that was very nice.  She got out of the horse business, so we sold it.  I found a used Silver Star that had been in storage for many, many years, (It's a l999 model) and only had horses in it a couple of times.  My husband is in the stainless steel business, and knows about welding, and frame work and structure etc., and he said the Silver Star was a better made trailer than the Elite I had.  He said it had a lot of "thought" that went into the making of the Silver Star.  If you find one, I would go for it.
wendmil
Reg. Aug 2006
Posted 2008-06-13 11:42 AM (#85633 - in reply to #84511)

Veteran

I have a '95 Sooner 3H GN and I really love it.  Got it for a good price and it should hold it's value fairly well.  The only complaint I have about it is that it doesn't have an escape door.  A lot of them around that time didn't seem to have them.  Other than that, I love it and it pulls like a dream.
RAM.CTD
Reg. Jun 2008
Posted 2008-06-17 9:00 AM (#85797 - in reply to #84511)

New User

I too have found a Silver Star, but didn't know much about them so thanks to all for the information. Is the Silver Star all aluminum, floor/frame/roof? I see the GN is steel that's why I'm asking, I have to drive 3 hours to look at this trailer and I only want an all aluminum trailer.
Tresvolte
Reg. Feb 2008
Posted 2008-06-17 9:26 AM (#85803 - in reply to #85797)

Silver Stars have an aluminum roof, floor, and structure. Every "aluminum" trailer that you look at will have a certain amount of steel in the gooseneck area.

RAM.CTD
Reg. Jun 2008
Posted 2008-06-17 12:06 PM (#85823 - in reply to #85803)

New User

Thanks for the info, I just wanted to make sure it wasn't a aluminum skinned steel trailer.
GABron
Reg. Jul 2011
Posted 2011-07-14 11:03 PM (#135652 - in reply to #84599)

New User

Hi, I know this was an old post, but I was wondering how the DIY living quarters went? I'm considering doing this myself and was wondering if it is worth it in the long run. Any info or tips will be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Adriene

My email is GABron@aol.com if that's simpler.
GABron
Reg. Jul 2011
Posted 2011-07-14 11:07 PM (#135654 - in reply to #84580)

New User

Hi, I know this was an old posting, but I was wondering how the do it yourself living quarters build out went for you. I'm considering doing this myself and was wondering if it will be worth it in the end. Any tips or advice will be greatly appreciated. Thanks,

Adriene

My email is GABron@aol.com if that's simpler.
jakey1
Reg. Dec 2003
Posted 2011-07-15 1:31 PM (#135673 - in reply to #84511)

Extreme Veteran

Not sure if you are directing your inquiry to me, but my DYI build-out went very well.  The 3.6' short wall is pretty short, so you can imagine that there's not much room, but we started with the insulation in the walls.  The Silver Star is already insulated in the roof.  Then we used wood beadboard type panelling with a light oak stain and a polyurethane(sp?) finish coat.  Hubby built a wall of cabinets - bottom with 2 doors and shelf with a solid maple counter top - two overhead cabinets and a tall cabinet in the back corner.  We installed an 18 gallon triangular shaped water tank. The cabinets are made of tongue & groove barn boards that we salvaged from some barn siding repair word we did some years ago. We installed wiring and a plug so if I camp where there's electric I can hook up.  If not, I have 2 deep cycle batteries that I can charge up and use, and I also carry some propane lanterns and a great battery powered remote control lantern. I use a porta potti and a Coleman Hot Water on demand heater in the horse area after I unload and I clean out the back.  Mostly only travel with on horse in the rear stall, so the front stall stays pretty clean.  My rig is just glorified camping, not all the fancy bells & whistles, but it's great for me.  The trailer is still holding it's own... one of my more successful research/purchase projects.
Bowfish
Reg. Dec 1899
Posted 2016-09-02 11:09 AM (#168263 - in reply to #84511)

I recently purchased a Silver Star 2 horse straight load with dressing/change room that doubles as a tack room. This room is large enough to convert into LQ which is what I am doing. As I have converted to LQ I’ve crawled all over this trailer and can say with confidence this trailer is very well built. I’m insulating the walls, adding a fresh water tank and pump and water heater, 12v lighting, cabinets, 110v receptacles, potty and shower. Even after all this $ added I still have less in this trailer than a manufactured trailer with LQ.
PaulChristenson
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2016-09-02 4:30 PM (#168269 - in reply to #84511)

Expert

Bowfish thanks for your input...but the beginning of this thread is over 8 years old and the next resurection was 5 years ago...:)
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)