'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Opinions: Elite/Sundowner/Hart/4 Star LQ Trailers

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2008-02-25 2:52 PM
13 replies, 9053 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Scott927
Reg. Feb 2008
Posted 2008-02-21 11:14 PM (#77576)
Subject: Opinions: Elite/Sundowner/Hart/4 Star LQ Trailers

New User

Hello,

I'm trading in a 2006 LQ trailer because, well, it's very cheaply built and I'm tired of shoddy workmanship. I'm very strongly considering purchasing one of the four brands mentioned in the subject. I'm looking for a 3 or 4 horse LQ trailer with a 10-12 foot shortwall. I'll probably end up going with a 2-3 year old used model to get a little more trailer for the money, rather than purchasing brand new.

Does anyone have any opinions on Elite, Sundowner, Hart or 4-Star? I don't want to mention too much about what I'm looking for as far as opinions go as I'd appreciate some honest reviews and don't want to lead people in any particular direction. :P I just want thoughts on various aspects of these trailers. The only thing I will say is that first priority is a quality built trailer all the way around down to little things (the way the horse dividers latch into the frame, quality of interior LQ parts, etc). I'm probably also looking to find the "weak spots" with these brands of trailers that the dealers just won't tell you about.

If possible, I'd like to keep this from a flame war with fans of these brands just tearing down anyone who disagrees with them. I'm really just looking for actual facts and/or real life experience with these to help me make a $50-$70k decision.

Thank you!

Edited by Scott927 2008-02-21 11:32 PM
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
HWBar
Reg. Nov 2005
Posted 2008-02-22 4:57 AM (#77579 - in reply to #77576)
Subject: RE: Opinions: Elite/Sundowner/Hart/4 Star LQ Trailers

Expert

I install LQ's and I think you are dealing with a couple different issues here. First just dealing with the trailers, I think that the workmanship in the Elite and 4 Star will be better than the Sundowner/Hart, one reason the Elite/4 Stars are not assembly line trailers and the Sundowner/Hart are. When you get to the LQ's you have the same issues, Sundowner does there own LQ's and some are very nice and some are very cheesy. Just like the big players in the LQ business they do alot of trailers, so they get an assembly line look/feel to them. So overall it depends on what you want, a nicer LQ or a nicer trailer. I personally would take a nicer LQ in the 4 Star/Elite. But if you come across an LQ that is over the top in the Hart, it would be tough.
Dunagain
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2008-02-22 8:03 AM (#77592 - in reply to #77576)

Regular

I have owned both a 4-Star bumper pull and now own an Elite GN. I loved my 4 Star and was impressed with the manufacturer as well as the product. The only difference I can see is that my 4Star was a 98 model and I see the newer models, while still great, seem to have a few downgraded details...but not, that I can see, with anything structural and I would still buy another one. My Elite is a 99 model (bought it used) and the quality is just as high as in the newer models.  My friend just ordered a new Elite with Living Quarters from Showtime, and from what I can tell, there are a wide variety of conversion companies that have varying levels of quality.  Use this site to research some of them and you'll begin to see who includes what, and what kind of materials they use.  If possible, go to a horse fair like Equine Affaire in Ohio, or wherever else they have those, and walk through some of the models. That really gives you an idea of what's out there (if you're not blinded by all the shiny bells and whistles they put on some of those trailers!).  Good luck!
stablemom
Reg. Jun 2007
Posted 2008-02-22 11:58 AM (#77624 - in reply to #77576)

Veteran

Might also take a look at the C&C brand trailers. They are quality trailers all the way around! We currently own a 2003 model and ordered it with an empty shell and had someone do the LQ for us!

Love that trailer!

ponytammy
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2008-02-22 12:54 PM (#77628 - in reply to #77576)

Elite Veteran

We are on our 2nd Elite trailer. It is a 2005 15ft. short wall and had the interior custom made by a local LQ company. When looking at trailers, I look at the welds, the quality of hinges on the drop downs, and the spacing between joists on the floor. Elite uses Marine grade aluminum too. We use the trailer heavily from March through November. Sometimes going on some very hilly twisty curvy roads and most are not paved for over 7 miles... which can be very hard on a trailer when fully loaded with horses and week long camping supplies.

My friend has a C&C trailer, and it is a very well built trailer also.

bjhouten
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2008-02-22 3:57 PM (#77631 - in reply to #77576)

Extreme Veteran

I've owned 2 Exiss and an Elite. I now own an 04 CM/Cimarron and perfer it over either. It has a Bunkhouse conversion in it. Not as glamorous
as an Outlaw conversion, but pretty nice just the same.

Betty
iCE CRM
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2008-02-22 5:53 PM (#77642 - in reply to #77631)

Extreme Veteran

I wouldn't put Sundowner in the same category as Elite , 4Star or Hart and I wouldn't consider Hart a assembly line trailer either. You won't go wrong with any of these three. I happen to prefer the roof on Hart. Just my opinion I am sure you will get more.
mickley
Reg. Feb 2008
Posted 2008-02-23 3:17 PM (#77756 - in reply to #77576)

New User

I just sold a 97 4 Star BP and bought a 2004 gooseneck 4 Star.  I looked at several different brands.  Let me just say that if I had gone with any other brand than 4 Star, I think I would be regretting my decision to even sell the BP.  It's funny that you mention the latches that hold the dividers in place in the horse area.  That was one of my biggest options that I love about that brand.  You don't have to fiddle with it, just slam it shut and it is latched, especially nice when you have a hard loader.  The welds and workmanship is great!
coltaffyjo
Reg. Apr 2007
Posted 2008-02-23 5:46 PM (#77761 - in reply to #77576)

Regular

I have owned 3 of the 4 trailers that you mentioned.Our first LQ trailer was a SUndowner 720 all aluminum 6 1/2 foot LQ 1998 year. EXCELLENT quality,craftmanship and use of space. We had the usual repairs of recaulking the roof, appliance maintenance-but overall, I would rebuy my old trailer in a nanosecond. Our third LQ was a 2004 4 star with an outlaw conversion. Again, excellent everything. We did not have one issue with the trailer. The few problems with the interior were IMMEDIATELY addressed, fixed and handled with the utmost of PREMIER customer service with outlaw...Dave is the best with outlaw in the customer service department. I would repurchase that trailer too. IN MY OPINION, dealer support is the most important factor with a horse trailer. I can say with my personal experiences with SUNDOWNER, 4 STAR and OUTLAW CONVERSIONS, exceeded my expectations in the trailer deparment. We now own an ELITE bumper pull trailer and LOVE IT TOO!!! We sold the LQs to buy an RV..and used the bumper pull---- Let's just say the RV did not work for us !! So best of luck to ya!!! Paul
Scott927
Reg. Feb 2008
Posted 2008-02-24 8:16 AM (#77794 - in reply to #77576)

New User

Thank you all for your opinions. They're really helpful. We're narrowing our search, but of course the wife just decided she'd like to look at Bloomer trailers as well. I think we've ruled out Sundowner as most of the available models are production models and as one of the previous posters mentioned, have a very "assembly line feel" to them.

We currently own a brand which I won't mention, but it's our first LQ trailer and has taught me a lot about what I need to look for in our next trailer (including the divider latches, as someone else mentioned! We had a horse break one TWICE on one trip and ended up having to remove the divider completely in order to make it home). It seems like all of these are getting pretty good reviews, which is encouraging. Comes down to a matter of personal preference I suppose. :)

I have one more question as it relates to this I think. We're probably going to buy 1-2 years used to save the $$$. We have a couple of trailer dealers local to us, but are probably going to end up buying long distance. Every dealer I've spoken to assures me that people buy sight unseen all the time and they can take photos/video for us, etc, but it seems a little out of sorts to be spending $70,000 on a trailer I've never seen, especially one that's used.

Anyone have experience with this sort of transaction?

gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2008-02-24 12:41 PM (#77809 - in reply to #77794)

Expert

Originally written by Scott927 on 2008-02-24 9:16 AM. :)

I have one more question as it relates to this I think. We're probably going to buy 1-2 years used to save the $$$. We have a couple of trailer dealers local to us, but are probably going to end up buying long distance. Every dealer I've spoken to assures me that people buy sight unseen all the time and they can take photos/video for us, etc, but it seems a little out of sorts to be spending $70,000 on a trailer I've never seen, especially one that's used.

Anyone have experience with this sort of transaction?

We've purchased two trailers that were used and a long ways from our home. We found them listed in HTW from private owners. We were fortunate that both sellers were accurate in their descriptions and didn't list by omission.

By purchasing used, we were able to buy a much larger and better equipped trailer than the new one we were considering. We bought a trailer of which I initially knew little  (Sidekick). When I checked it out, I was very impressed and immediately completed the transaction. The second trailer, an Exiss, took longer to search for and find, as we wanted this particular brand, model, length and equipment.

Both of our transactions went well, and I wouldn't hesitate to repeat the process. The trailers have yet been to a dealer since our ownership. They have been reliable and enjoyable. We have added some upgrades to accommodate our wishes.

With any used item I purchase, I usually keep some additional funds to correct any faults that I miss during the sale. These trailers did not require any repair expenditures. Our ownership has been most satisifying.

I wish you luck in your search.

BOL  gard

classygirl98
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2008-02-24 9:57 PM (#77858 - in reply to #77576)

Veteran

Our first trailer came to us out of state. The dealer wanted us to send them a down payment and we said no, not until we see the trailer in person first. They agreed to deliver the trailer, if we liked it we could pay the down payment and keep it and if it not, they would just take it back. We ended up buying it.Our second one, we decided to make the trip from MO to Texas to check it out in person. We did not take our trailer down because hubby did not want to haul it down there in the event that we did not end buying it. Long story short, we bought it, headed back to MO to pick up our trailer and then back to Texas to trade. Would I do it again? Yes, I would. We also made a trip to South Dakota, feeling 99 percent sure that we were going to buy a trailer, got there, loved the interior, but hubby did not like the way the trailer was made. Thus, the texas trip.I know people do it all of the time, but I just like looking and inspecting in person. Yes, it is more money but you just never know. We spent a lot of money investing in a trailer and wanted to make sure it right in all ways possible.
donnat
Reg. Feb 2005
Posted 2008-02-25 10:16 AM (#77885 - in reply to #77576)

Scott927....sent you a pm.
BITSYRDR
Reg. Dec 2003
Posted 2008-02-25 2:52 PM (#77923 - in reply to #77576)

We looked at numerous trailers with interiors and alot looked nice but cheap. Alot used pressed wood, or that covered wood. We finally decided to buy a shell and have the interior put in by place in Iowa. Oh my gosh the difference in workmanship, plus what you get for you money is outstanding!!!!!!!!! We have friends that bought theirs done by the companies you mention and they say theirs look cheaply made when compared to ours. Besides it cost us less to have it done instead of buying the whole package.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)